More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Channeling Elvis
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Re: Elvis' blistering Chuck Berry cover 'Promised Land'

Post by Channeling Elvis »

r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
elvisjock wrote:With a few exceptions, Elvis and Chuck were considered Oldies artists (by radio and record companies) by the mid-70s. Each had occasional chart success, but they weren't hot with kids and young adults, the sweet spot for Top 40 radio.
Elvis had a lot more success than Chuck Berry did.
I think the only songs that hit the top 40 for Chuck Berry were My Ding a ling and it's B side.
Which even that was a fluke for him.
That was a fluke hit novelty song and you are right about Chuck in the 70's but in his career I believe all these Chuck songs were top 40 at least

Maybelline
Roll Over Beethoven
School Day
Rock and Roll Music
Sweet Little 16
Johnny B Goode
Oh Carol
Almost Grown
Nadine
You Never Can Tell
Reelin & Rockin
No Particular Place To Go
All those and "Back in the U.S.A.", which reached #37 in Billboard. Most of his top 40s scored between 1955 and 1959; "Maybellene" reached #5 in Aug. 1955, before all that many people had heard of Elvis. I don't know how much racial discrimination on the air waves affected Berry's chart success, but it was not common to hear black artists on mainstream radio in the 50s; more likely to hear Pat Boone's cover of "Ain't That A Shame" or "Tutti Frutti" than the originals by Fats Domino and Little Richard. Still, Domino's version reached #10 in 1955 and Little Richard's recording #17 in 1956; his recording of "Long Tall Sally" reached #6 a few months later in 1956. I'm not sure about this, but I believe that chart position reflected both record sales and radio play; possibly (at least at some point) number of records pressed and shipped (or ordered).

As to "Promised Land," I like Chuck's version a lot, but for me Elvis' version is definitive. I think it's one of the best tracks he cut at that time of his career and never tire of hearing it. Whenever I do, it's a real ear worm for me too! Can't get it out of my skull!

"You see? There's not enough kindness in the world." -- Sydney Greenstreet (Mask of Dimitrios)

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

I never heard Promised Land on the radio, but I do remember hearing Steamroller Blues quite a bit. I'm Leavin' got plenty of airplay, far more than its chart position would suggest it should.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Lonely Summer wrote:Berry's songs have been covered by many, but rarely IMO has anyone surpassed the original versions. Elvis' Promised Land is one such exception.
Basically agree with that although The Stones Around & Around comes close and Lennon''s vocal on Rock & Roll Music prob outdoes Chuck's weaker vocal.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

skatterbrane wrote:I would bet Elvis' version, if featured in the right movie and lifted as a single off that movie's soundtrack would do quite well today.
It's quite a classic in the movie ''Man In Black''

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Johnny2523 wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:I would bet Elvis' version, if featured in the right movie and lifted as a single off that movie's soundtrack would do quite well today.
It's quite a classic in the movie ''Man In Black''
Incredible the song was not included in the soundtrack album! Too much money? Must have been The Colonel! :lol:

chop983
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Post by chop983 »

This was the very first version of the song I heard and remains my favourite. I was overjoyed to hear an Elvis version.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

I do not think it was included in the MIB soundtrack album.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

skatterbrane wrote:I do not think it was included in the MIB soundtrack album.
"Promised Land" was not included on the soundtrack album:

Men in Black: The Album
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_in_Black:_The_Album

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Channeling Elvis
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by Channeling Elvis »

r&b wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:Berry's songs have been covered by many, but rarely IMO has anyone surpassed the original versions. Elvis' Promised Land is one such exception.
Basically agree with that although The Stones Around & Around comes close and Lennon''s vocal on Rock & Roll Music prob outdoes Chuck's weaker vocal.

I think the early Beatles did a couple of covers that surpassed the originals, "Rock & Roll Music" being one and "Twist and Shout" another. Lennon's vocal is absolutely devastating on the latter. As I recall, it was recorded in one take at the end of a long session and Lennon's voice was nearly shot, but he really poured it on.

"You see? There's not enough kindness in the world." -- Sydney Greenstreet (Mask of Dimitrios)

Eggrert
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by Eggrert »

I have a weakness for the Manic Street Preachers' version of Rock & Roll Music. I know it's totally trashy and over-the-top, but those are precisely the qualities I look for in rock!

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by rjm »

What was considered "old" then really wasn't actually "old." It just seemed that way because it was as a time when . . . how do I put this? No one was old!

Well, old people were old, but old people were old early, then. It's hard to explain, but I guess the sheer magnitude of the Baby Boom helps. The WWII vets were only middle-aged then, so everybody was young. Almost.

It's hard to conceptualize now. Now, we're like "what do you mean he died? He was only 93! He had a ways to go yet . . ." Not quite, but getting to that point.

And even when you look at a time prior to WWII and the Boom, things were conceptualized differently than they were during this incredible period of history. And it was precisely during Elvis' two mere decades of adulthood that this all took place: this telescoping of time.

Meanwhile, here are the full lyrics: fantastic! "Across Mississippi CLEAN!"
I left my home in Norfolk Virginia
California on my mind
I straddled that Greyhound
And rode into Raleigh
And on across Caroline

We had motor trouble that turn into a struggle
Halfway across Alabam'
And that hound broke down and left us all stranded
In downtown Birmingham

Right away I brought me a through train ticket
Ridin' across Mississippi clean
And I was on that midnight flyer out of Birmingham
Smoking into New Orleans

Somebody help me get out of Louisiana
Just to help me get to Houston Town
There are people there who care a little about me
And they won't let the poor boy down

Sure as you're born brought me a silk suit
Put luggage in my hand
And I woke up high over Albuquerque
On a jet to the Promised Land

Working on a T-bone steak a la carte
Flying over to the golden state
Ah when the pilot told us in thirteen minutes
He would set us at the terminal gate

Swing low chariot come down easy
Taxi to the terminal zone
Cut your engines and cool your wings
And let me make it to the telephone

Los Angeles give me Norfolk Virginia
Tidewater four ten o nine
Tell the folks back home this is the Promised Land calling
And the poor boy is on the line

Working on a T-bone steak a la carte
Flying over to the golden state
Ah when the pilot told us in thirteen minutes
He would set us at the Terminal gate

Swing low chariot come down easy
Taxi to the Terminal zone
Cut your engines and cool your wings
And let me make it to the telephone

Los Angeles give me Norfolk Virginia
Tidewater four ten o nine
Tell the folks back home this is the Promised Land calling
And the poor boy is on the line
This feels like his first trip to Hollywood, doesn't it? Not literally, but very close.

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Agree 100 %. After I listened to The Beatles versions of Rock and Roll Music and Twist and Shout I believed that no one can do better these songs, including Chuck Berry.

Vince_Everett
Formerly Dutch Fireworks
Registered for: 9 years 11 months

Post by Vince_Everett »

Pink&Black wrote:Elvis left out the second verse:

Stopped in Charlotte and bypassed rock hill
And we never was a minute late
We was ninety miles out of Atlanta by sundown
Rollin' 'cross the Georgia state

Rock Hill was the first stop in the South for the Freedom Riders who had started their journey in Washington DC and wanted to test the ruling of the Supreme court banning racial segregation in Interstate facilities. Two of the freedom riders were beaten by an angry mob.
I've always liked the fact that Chuck Berry put in so many references to the civil rights movement, including getting stranded in downtown Birmingham. Too bad Elvis left out the verse mentioning Rock Hill although I am sure he didn't do so purposely.
I've always wondered why Elvis left out the second verse.

Mama she done told me, Papa done told me too: 'Son, that gal you're foolin' with, she ain't no good for you!'

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

rjm wrote:What was considered "old" then really wasn't actually "old." It just seemed that way because it was as a time when . . . how do I put this? No one was old!

Well, old people were old, but old people were old early, then. It's hard to explain, but I guess the sheer magnitude of the Baby Boom helps. The WWII vets were only middle-aged then, so everybody was young. Almost.

It's hard to conceptualize now. Now, we're like "what do you mean he died? He was only 93! He had a ways to go yet . . ." Not quite, but getting to that point.

And even when you look at a time prior to WWII and the Boom, things were conceptualized differently than they were during this incredible period of history. And it was precisely during Elvis' two mere decades of adulthood that this all took place: this telescoping of time.
rjm
I know what you mean. There's that clip from the late '60s of an Elvis fan club event where they talk about the fans recalling the bygone days of early rock, as if they were talking about something that had occurred 30 years earlier.

Also, although only nine years or so between the Chuck and Elvis recordings, that was a big nine years for music and Chuck's song wasn't a leap forward from what he'd been doing in the late '50s. It wasn't like 2006 to 2015. A lot had happened.

TheKingisthething
Registered for: 10 years

Post by TheKingisthething »

jurasic1968 wrote:Agree 100 %. After I listened to The Beatles versions of Rock and Roll Music and Twist and Shout I believed that no one can do better these songs, including Chuck Berry.
I am sorry I have bad news: the original ( and subtle!) Rock 'n Roll music by Berry has never be equaled..

The Bealtles version is an simplified aproximation of the orginal and never gets near...

vbgt
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by vbgt »

JimmyCool wrote:I like "Burning Love" and "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" better.
Me too

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

TheKingisthething wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:Agree 100 %. After I listened to The Beatles versions of Rock and Roll Music and Twist and Shout I believed that no one can do better these songs, including Chuck Berry.
I am sorry I have bad news: the original ( and subtle!) Rock 'n Roll music by Berry has never be equaled..

The Bealtles version is an simplified aproximation of the orginal and never gets near...
We agree to disagree.

TheKingisthething

jurasic1968 wrote:
TheKingisthething wrote:

We agree to disagree.
Fortunately!!

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

TheKingisthething wrote:

Both recordings are fabulous, but John Lennon's searing lead vocal and that triple piano attack cannot be topped. And the Beatles nailed the track on the first take!

Rock And Roll Music | The Beatles Bible
http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/rock-and-roll-music/

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Wow!! I didn't knew that. On the first take? Thanks a lot, Doc. I always believed that The Beatles version of the song was the best.

Fish
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Post by Fish »

As far as Elvis' covers of Chuck Berry songs is concerned, I think Promised Land is absolutely great....awesome even!:)
Elvis took it to new heights.
Equally, I think his cover of Memphis Tennessee is just as wonderful. The one I have always thought that could have been better is Johnny B. Goode, though the 69 versions are certainly good(e).

LesterB
Registered for: 18 years

Post by LesterB »

The studio version of Promised Land has the authority of Elvis at his best stamped all over it.

Elvis sounds indestructible in Promised Land - just imagine if he had included it in his Memphis 74 concert which seems to echo the greatness of that truly great moment 4 months beforehand.

JUST FOR TODAY

DearGeorgie

Post by DearGeorgie »

This recording just rocks, plain and simple... and it's one of those cases where the overdubs really enhance it as well...the piano, and that extra effect that goes into the song on the second "Swing low chariot, come down easy..." part... I love the "up-front" vocal that appears on the 70s set as well as the 2000 reissue of "Promised Land", but my favorite is the original released mix, with reverb on his voice and the harmonies on the "swing low chariot" parts...definitely one of his best rockers from the 70s

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by promiseland »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TheKingisthething wrote:

Both recordings are fabulous, but John Lennon's searing lead vocal and that triple piano attack cannot be topped. And the Beatles nailed the track on the first take!

Beach_Boys_-_Rock_and_Roll_Music.jpg
I don't think any version comes close to The Beach Boys' spring 1976 version.
Listen Here: http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/hOL8wfau/file.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheKingisthething

promiseland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
TheKingisthething wrote:

Beach_Boys_-_Rock_and_Roll_Music.jpg
I don't think any version comes close to The Beach Boys' spring 1976 version.
Listen Here: http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/hOL8wfau/file.html
Nope, on the contrary...this doesn't come close to the Berry orginal...