Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Why bother to buy a audience recording?

Tue May 13, 2003 3:09 pm

I have one, and it will be the only one.

Tue May 13, 2003 3:38 pm

Hi!

What one was it? I've got a few audience recordings and while some are truly awful there are some out there worth investigating:

Storm Over Portland
Caught In The Act
New Year's Eve

I'm sure there are plenty more decent ones out and about but yes, most don't really deserve your money.

Tue May 13, 2003 3:55 pm

Personally I much prefer the audience recordings as they are far more exciting. As most of Elvis' shows during the 1970's contained a lot of the same songs it makes little sense to me to hear them in a 'clinical' sense.

As Elvis used to say "The show is in the audience". However, we all differ on such matters and it comes down to personal preference.

Brian

Tue May 13, 2003 4:11 pm

To get an idea of the atmosphere in the concert hall. Not all of Elvis´ concerts were professionaly recorded, so to some of us fans the audience recordings are of a certain value.

Sincerely MB280E

Tue May 13, 2003 4:28 pm

Varsting -
I strongly recommend you try the America's Own vol. 1 & 2 audience recordings, as well as Elvis' last performance, entitled Adios. These are not only decent sounding audience recordings, but are also great performances! As others have mentioned audience recordings provide an atmosphere & ambience that is so often lacking in soundboard recordings.

Tue May 13, 2003 5:39 pm

Although I'm mostly a soundboard collector, another superb AR is on cd1 of A Profile vol. 1 cd box, a show from 1973 featuring the rare "Trouble".
Other great ones: Gyrating Asheville (7/75) 2cd, Pontiac 75 (31-12-75) 2cd, Double Dynamite 2cd (8/70).

Tue May 13, 2003 11:52 pm

James27 wrote:Although I'm mostly a soundboard collector, another superb AR is on cd1 of A Profile vol. 1 cd box, a show from 1973 featuring the rare "Trouble".

To my knowledge there's a rumour stating that this was part of an official recording. The same with "The Last Live Session". This one's sounding almost too good to be a audience recording.

"America's Own Vol. 2" is another fine AR and one of my favorites. Also Born To Give Us Fever gives you some impression of what it must have been like to attend an Elvis concert during Elvis-mania in 1973 (right after the airing of Aloha From Hawaii).

Wed May 14, 2003 2:24 am

There are certainly some excellent audience recordings out there.

In addition to the ones mentioned above, I would add:

"Unchained Elvis" & "Adios."

I would never prefer an AR over an SB, but they are the next best thing and better than nothing in some cases (Indy '77, New Years '76).

(.....btw....."Storm Over Portland" is an outstanding concert, but I wouldn't rate it an "excellent" AR ............ it is a bit hard on the ears).

N8
...just a fan....

Wed May 14, 2003 3:26 pm

"There are certainly some excellent audience recordings"
It's true but there are some awful ones too where the track listing looks great but a diaster for your ears so BEWARE!!!

Regards

Dan

Wed May 14, 2003 3:49 pm

I agree, many have bad sound. This site along with others are an excellent checking point to see whether an AR is worth getting or not. I once got rid of fifty AR because the sound was too bad.

Some fans don't see it that way, are eager to hear rare Elvis material above all else, and can listen through even the thickest layers of hiss and static and noise and enjoy the music underneath it.

As for me, I try to obtain the best of them in terms of unique material/concert combined with acceptable-to-good sound quality.
The cd's listed above by other members give a good impression what some of those good AR might be. Getting them is another mission of course... :)

Wed May 14, 2003 5:00 pm

I would agree, most AR's are not worth the $$$. Some will give you a nice headache. The "excellent" ones are a minority.

I was almost turned off to completely to boots for a while when all of the rip-off labels were putting out dog crap products and there was no way to pick and choose before buying (reviews, etc.). The only way to KNOW was to buy it, give it a listen, and kiss your money good-bye after the fact. Times have changed ............ thank goodness, but there will always be hack or crap products. Something for everybody.

N8
...just a fan....

Wed May 14, 2003 5:58 pm

Hi!

Certainly on one hand there are a lot of bad audience recordings, but on the other hand there is really a bunch of very good to excellent audience recordings.

I would say that the following ones are pretty good:

1970:

Double Dynamite (both concerts from 08/19/1970 - Rock Legends)
A Dinner Date With Elvis (08/20/ 1970 Dinner Show - Live Archives)
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' (08/21/1970 Midnight Show - Audionics)

1972:

Summer Festival - September 4th 1972 (unreleased - only CDR); good
and clear sound
Return To Long Beach (11/15/1972 - Tiger Records)

1973:

May 13th, 1973 - (05/13/1973 - Dinner Show; my copy is a 1st generation copy of the origina mastertape from Rick Rennie – unreleased, watch out for "Man In White - Vol.4" or "The Perfect Gift" as they mentioned, that they used the master-tape; it has excellent and dynamic sound)

1975:

America's Own Vol.2 - (07/19/1975 Evening Show; Uniondale - Claudia)
Gyrating Ashville (07/24/1975 - Evening Show; Ashville - Live Archives)
The Request Box Shows (08/19 & 20/1975 - Bilko)

1976:

One Helluva Night (06/25/1976 Buffalo - JR Records)
Love Letters From Nevada (12/04/1976 - Sundial Productions)
Auld Lang Syne (12/31/1976 Pittsburgh - Live Archives)

1977:

Unchained (05/26/1977 Binghamton - Krypton)
May 27th, 1977 - unreleased recording, that has excellent sound and it is also a good concert - especially for 1977)
Since Cincinatti (06/25/1977 Cincinatti - JR Records)
Adios - The Final Performance (06/26/1977 Indianapolis - AJ Records)

I could have named a few audience recordings more, that in my opinion were worthy to have, but I think the above mentioned are the 'excellent' ones. To the end I have to say, that I can't say anything about 'No Fooling Around', because I can't get one of the CD's. If one is interested in trading or selling - then please let me know.

Best wishes, Jörn

Wed May 14, 2003 6:24 pm

An audience recording starts to be a little bad when you have hard time to figure out what song Elvis is siging. :lol:

You know is just to have them. I wouldnt pay for them but they are easy to trade by ICQ or Newsgroups. :))

Some of them are only good for research. And some of them are good to say that we want the soundboard of that particular concert. So they are a reference. Some of them are just to piss me off when the date is incorrect. Some of them have nice stories behind.

That's all.

Wed May 14, 2003 6:40 pm

We really are spoiled these days. 20 years ago we used to rave about some terrible AR we managed to get our hands on.

How times change. :wink:

Spoiled fans....

Thu May 15, 2003 1:50 am

....I guess you can blame FTD for it ................. :lol:

(As for myself, I never was satisfied with some of the horrible AR's - that goes for both vinyl & CD's).

N8
...just a fan....
Last edited by N880EP on Thu May 15, 2003 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 15, 2003 2:16 am

I believe that the CD that James27 mentioned, A Profile Volume 1 CD 1, is unusual amongst audience recordings in that it is a stereo audience recording. Adios, The Final Concert also (sounds to me anyway) is stereo. These both give an added sense of what it must have been like to be there for the unfortunates like myself.