Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

SteamrollerBlues
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Re: Lonesome tonight .......I am, and I was

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

Mister Mike wrote:
SteamrollerBlues wrote:Does liking the Rapid City show make me a rose-colored glasses wearer?
Yes, and it's probably the kindest thing you'll be called.
Fair enough!

Topic author
mike edwards66
Registered for: 12 years

Post by mike edwards66 »

poormadpeter wrote:And, to pick up on MikeEdward's comment, about the "magical" and "unique" element of Elvis's voice - it's not there in 1977..........The only way it "moves the [discerning] listener" is by making them cry as they realise how far a wonderful artist had fallen.
You conspire to miss the important stuff! Then again, you are not alone. Allow me to guide. There is a beguiling beauty to an ageing voice, especially one as incredible and unique as that of Elvis Presley.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by fn2drive »

mike edwards66 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:And, to pick up on MikeEdward's comment, about the "magical" and "unique" element of Elvis's voice - it's not there in 1977..........The only way it "moves the [discerning] listener" is by making them cry as they realise how far a wonderful artist had fallen.
You conspire to miss the important stuff! Then again, you are not alone. Allow me to guide. There is a beguiling beauty to an ageing voice, especially one as incredible and unique as that of Elvis Presley.

The greatest pop voice of the 20th century was destroyed by drug abuse. While i enjoy even some of the post 70 dreck and the tired worn vocals from 73 on, i recognize them for what they were. Drug abuse ruined elvis nearly perfect instrument. As Doc notes after 38 years one would think the reality displayed in EIC would be evident to every functional adult with eyes and ears, but i guess some people hold onto false beliefs as others eat mashed potatos and gravy- they need their comfort food. I understand really i do.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Tim C
Prolonged Suspension. Repeat Offender
Registered for: 13 years 11 months

Post by Tim C »

Any yet those that feel the need to critique the performance are void of any understanding and emotional connection that they are seeing Elvis reveal, a man exposing a vulnerable part of himself to those who loved him dearly, his fans. Those who criticize the performance, refusing to see the vulnerable and emotional revelation are missing the point entirely. But this is par for the course.

When someone has an audience, do not disrupt them with the purpose of stealing their audience.
When you do a favor do not make others notice your effort.
Do not be impressed by strong personalities.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Tim C wrote:Any yet those that feel the need to critique the performance are void of any understanding and emotional connection that they are seeing Elvis reveal, a man exposing a vulnerable part of himself to those who loved him dearly, his fans. Those who criticize the performance, refusing to see the vulnerable and emotional revelation are missing the point entirely. But this is par for the course.
If only it was a refusal to see anything. It is the pleasure that they partake in reporting Elvis' condition with disgust. I wonder if they would be so cold to members of their own family, if they were to suffer from the terrible illness Elvis had.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

Juan Luis wrote:
Tim C wrote:Any yet those that feel the need to critique the performance are void of any understanding and emotional connection that they are seeing Elvis reveal, a man exposing a vulnerable part of himself to those who loved him dearly, his fans. Those who criticize the performance, refusing to see the vulnerable and emotional revelation are missing the point entirely. But this is par for the course.
If only it was a refusal to see anything. It is the pleasure that they partake in reporting Elvis' condition with disgust. I wonder if they would be so cold to members of their own family, if they were to suffer from the terrible illness Elvis had.
Neither statement is true. Elvis was performing simply out of financial need not to display personal vulnerabilities. Indeed he commented on EIC as wondering how he allowed himself to get into such circumstances. Drugs and prolific overspending.

I do not delight in his misfortune. Quite the contrary i have enjoyed his music every day of my life since August 1968. But that doesn't mean that i will hide from the truth that i witnessed first hand and denied while it was unfolding. Sorry If that doesn't agree with your prejudice.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

fn2drive wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
Neither statement is true. Elvis was performing simply out of financial need not to display personal vulnerabilities. Indeed he commented on EIC as wondering how he allowed himself to get into such circumstances. Drugs and prolific overspending.

I do not delight in his misfortune. Quite the contrary i have enjoyed his music every day of my life since August 1968. But that doesn't mean that i will hide from the truth that i witnessed first hand and denied while it was unfolding. Sorry If that doesn't agree with your prejudice.
So people that treat things in a more delicate matter are hiding or untruthful? Compassion is bad? Example... Is it not better/nicer to refer to someone an addict, than a junkie? Are they not the same thing? And overspending, erratic behavior, mood swings are all part of it. And since when do addicts let themselves into anything? And since when does financial need hamper the ability of an artist to express true feelings of despair and sorrow? This is 2015. No excuses for ignorance (specially his fans) on these matters that affected, and ultimately took the life of Elvis. A great man.

Tim C
Registered for: 13 years 11 months

Post by Tim C »

As I said, you miss the point in it's entirety...And I quote "I used to hear old Arthur Crudup bang his box the way I do now, and I said if I ever got to the place where I could feel all old Arthur felt", then you know what he wanted his entire career to be about, his connection with not only the music, but the heart. It was about what he felt. It was about the emotional connection, the emotional content which Elvis was trying to convey and the vulnerability he was willing to reveal. Something which, apparently you are unable to connect with. I got it, the original poster got it...why you don't and instead try to come from sterile points of view to criticize instead of connecting and understanding is your problem, not those of us who get it and understand. What the world sees is irrelevant, what fans who connect and empathize with is not only love, but connecting through similar real life experience, and it's what you refuse to see. It's not our point of view that needs to change, it's yours.

When someone has an audience, do not disrupt them with the purpose of stealing their audience.
When you do a favor do not make others notice your effort.
Do not be impressed by strong personalities.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

Juan Luis wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:

So people that treat things in a more delicate matter are hiding or untruthful? Compassion is bad? Example... Is it not better/nicer to refer to someone an addict, than a junkie? Are they not the same thing? And overspending, erratic behavior, mood swings are all part of it. And since when do addicts let themselves into anything? And since when does financial need hamper the ability of an artist to express true feelings of despair and sorrow? This is 2015. No excuses for ignorance (specially his fans) on these matters that affected, and ultimately took the life of Elvis. A great man.
I am big on compassion but have no use for coddling or ignoring reality. Elvis premature death was the direct consequence of being surrounded by those who failed to deliver the truth. You, i'm afraid, are guilty of willful ignorance. The facts are clear and to quote a great movie line 'you can't handle the truth'. There is no need to be delicate. Everyone knows what happened so there is no need to deny it. His daughter is a grown woman and she knows as well. But please keep enjoying Elvis' finest performances in EIC. They are among his best and his voice never deserted him. And in so asserting you undermine what remains one of the greatest musical legacies of all time.

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by stevelecher »

I think Elvis had more voice left in EIC than some of you and less voice left than others of you. Elvis struggles with low notes on Hawaiian Wedding Song because he sings in such a low key to compensate for what he has lost in his upper keys. As someone else opined, the 73 version pales vocally compared to the 61 version.

Unchained Melody has some merit but was best left out of EIC. He looks absolutely drained and the song elicits nothing but pity. What they featured were Elvis' best vocals from the show and they could have added Trying To Get To You without harm.

They did what they could with the Special and I admit to enjoying it while acknowledging its limitations.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

fn2drive wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:

I am big on compassion but have no use for coddling or ignoring reality. Elvis premature death was the direct consequence of being surrounded by those who failed to deliver the truth. You, i'm afraid, are guilty of willful ignorance. The facts are clear and to quote a great movie line 'you can't handle the truth'. There is no need to be delicate. Everyone knows what happened so there is no need to deny it. His daughter is a grown woman and she knows as well. But please keep enjoying Elvis' finest performances in EIC. They are among his best and his voice never deserted him. And in so asserting you undermine what remains one of the greatest musical legacies of all time.
Where did I assert that EIC performances among his best, and voice never deserted him? Where exactly? I can handle the truth. And you can bet Elvis knew the truth. But just knowing it. Was not enough. I am starting to think the real coldness comes from those that really can't handle it. Much less understand it. And his daughter should congratulate you on the way you refer to her dead dad? Because "she knows as well"? Are you her? Is that you?

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

Juan Luis wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:

Where did I assert that EIC performances among his best, and voice never deserted him? Where exactly? I can handle the truth. And you can bet Elvis knew the truth. But just knowing it. Was not enough. I am starting to think the real coldness comes from those that really can't handle it. Much less understand it. And his daughter should congratulate you on the way you refer to her dead dad? Because "she knows as well"? Are you her? Is that you?
Perhaps you're right. His daughter doesn't know he was addicted to drugs and od'd while she got to witness it. Shush, let talk softly and maybe she won't find out. The truth is sterile. That i have sympathy for the man's demise doesn't mean that the discussion shouldn't be truthful. This thread started with the assertion that AYLT in EIC was a strong performance displaying Elvis wit when the truth is it is the King at the very bottom, drug addled and hanging on for dear life. Sympathy and compassion for the man doesn't alter the reality that he shouldn't have been performing and this was no career highlight. Learning to deal with facts is part of growing up. It is not good or bad or cold or compassionate. Lets just say we agree to disagree. You keep believing Elvis was the victim and if only he was mollycoddled a bit more he would have cleaned up his act and i'll keep believing he cheated the world of 40 more years of great music.

londonflash
Registered for: 21 years

Post by londonflash »

There are some painfully deluded fans out there.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Juan Luis wrote:
The disgust isn't with Elvis, it's with the fans who try to maintain that Elvis's voice was still there in 1977.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

mike edwards66 wrote:
That's fine. We see it in the later performances of Sinatra or Johnny Cash or Ella Fitzgerald. But Elvis wasn't aging. He wasn't 70 or 80. He was 42.

TheKingisthething
Registered for: 10 years

Post by TheKingisthething »

londonflash wrote:There are some painfully deluded fans out there.
Plus some with no muscial understanding whatsoever... It is Elvis so it's great...pffffft

jessewade
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by jessewade »

londonflash wrote:There are some painfully deluded fans out there.
he will always be the king no matter what and I think he's a good clean fellow :smt018 :mrgreen:

MEMBER BANNED FOREVER FOR MAKING RACIST/ANTISEMETIC ATTACKS AGAINST ANOTHER MEMBER.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

The problem here isn't people liking what they like - if people like EIC, so be it. The issue is that their never-ending quest to try and convince everyone that Elvis was wonderful at that point of time is actually harming Elvis's legacy. It means that these clips are constantly presented for people to look at so that the "he's great in 1977" argument can be made - not just here but on youtube and facebook groups where, ultimately, it does more harm as they are for more casual fans in the main instance. EIC is not what Elvis was all about, and yet many present these songs as if they encapsulate Elvis's great artistry.

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

I am dreading (maybe a bit strong a term, but you know what I mean) the release of Elvis Files 8, with its abundance of 1977 shots. It's going to be like a civil war on this place.

Liverbobs
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Liverbobs »

I always thought it was incredibly sad when I first heard him say "We did a song called Are You Lonesome Tonight....and I am....and I was" it's like the most famous man on the planet had been lonely way back in 1960 and still felt lonely in 1977. Like most people, I believe he should have never been near a stage in 1977 but we can't change it and I ain't gonna slag the man, if he had lived and seen the special I think it would have kick started him into doing something about his health and his addictions, but alas, it wasn't to be.

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
Hard Rocker wrote:I wouldn't say he was "out of it". He was clearly unwell and struggling, but "out of it" suggests a zombiefied semi-comatose state. He's nowhere near that.
His brain was ravaged by the effects of long term drug abuse. He was out of it and in a full throttle free fall. Sadly what most of his life had become was captured in this short moment which we surely could have done without. Intimate and public at the same time. A star struggling to push through what he knew he was -a physical, emotional and mental disaster. There was no save to be had hence it was cut from the original special.
Sadly, much of the song remained in the original special ...
Actually, almost none of "Are You Lonesome To-night?" is in the original 1977 network special. You must have never seen it.

Director Dwight Hemion makes the decision to cut away right after the first verse to a female fan from Omaha, returns with a bit of another verse, then leaves the performance entirely to share more of that female fan's adoration, including her keen observation that "he's the greatest person that has ever walked." Viewers are then given a look at the song's finale. Obviously the director found little of that "magical element of that incredible and unique voice" in the version he captured in Rapid City.

Elvis Presley "Are You Lonesome To-night?" (CBS-TV "Elvis In Concert" - Monday, October 3, 1977)

The full performance was not seen until 1981's "This Is Elvis," used to forward the narrative of how bad off Presley was at this point, and it immediately followed Sonny West's comments on 8-17-1977 about how drug abuse had taken away everything. It was very tough to watch then, and no better 34 years later. Sadly, the VHS extended edition of "This Is Elvis" which came out in 1984 completely deleted both Sonny's statement and the performance, substituting a weak rendition of "Love Me" in Omaha on that final tour. One wonders who made that call.
Still remember crying in disbelief when I first watched this specific part during "This Is Elvis", when it was shown for the first time on german television.
Only thing that brought me down a little during the painful watching of "My Way" were the pictures they showed from his early glorious years.
Still think about the words my mother said: "At least they show us how wonderful he used to be".

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

jessewade
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by jessewade »

The Pirate wrote:I am dreading (maybe a bit strong a term, but you know what I mean) the release of Elvis Files 8, with its abundance of 1977 shots. It's going to be like a civil war on this place.
The final curtain book is painful to look at, though there are good pics of Elvis.
The worst pictures in my opinion, except those in Hollywood, are those from the may tour.
Not only did he wear the same suit, night after night, but he looked terribly swollen and tired on most pictures

MEMBER BANNED FOREVER FOR MAKING RACIST/ANTISEMETIC ATTACKS AGAINST ANOTHER MEMBER.

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

jessewade wrote:
The Pirate wrote:I am dreading (maybe a bit strong a term, but you know what I mean) the release of Elvis Files 8, with its abundance of 1977 shots. It's going to be like a civil war on this place.
The final curtain book is painful to look at, though there are good pics of Elvis.
The worst pictures in my opinion, except those in Hollywood, are those from the may tour.
Not only did he wear the same suit, night after night, but he looked terribly swollen and tired on most pictures
It's going to be a few weeks of, "He looked terrible... he should never have been on a stage... drugged up to the eyeballs..." vs, "He was still magnificent... still The King... it is all part of the legend that is Elvis... poignant... how can anyone call themselves a fan and yet pillory the man, who was clearly suffering... night after night he went out and gave his all, because he loved his fans..." etc etc. Throw in a few, "you never walked in his shoes" type comments and I think I may have summed up the entire thread.

So let's all bear that in mind, and when the time comes not bother even starting a thread, eh? Me, I'm hoping I'll be on holiday when it all kicks off, somewhere there's no internet access.

r&b

Post by r&b »

poormadpeter wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
The disgust isn't with Elvis, it's with the fans who try to maintain that Elvis's voice was still there in 1977.
And Joe Esposito. I wonder if he said 'Good show, good show' as they drove off in the limo?

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

poormadpeter wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
There are some fans that don't want to be told what to like. And defending the excessive criticism of some that are entitled, is seen as placing him on a pedestal. No. Not with me anyway. And hardly anyone has really given thought of what the OP meant. Most are trigger responses that brought the whole debate about Elvis being great or magnificent in the 1977 Special. No one ever came close to saying that. That wasn't even the point.
fn2drive wrote: You keep believing Elvis was the victim and if only he was mollycoddled a bit more he would have cleaned up his act and i'll keep believing he cheated the world of 40 more years of great music.
Folks today that do not understand the disease of addiction are in the majority. Like cancer, no one chooses to be afflicted with it. And since Elvis was not a victim of anything. Keep that in mind when you (and others) go off on the how Parker screwed poor and helpless Elvis tirade. Mollycoddled indeed! LOL.