Paramount Movies to MGM.....DVD's soon?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

r&b

Re: Paramount Movies to MGM.....DVD's soon?

Post by r&b »

JerryNodak wrote:I keep reading about the "death" of DVD and yet I see a lot of new films still being released on DVD before they appear on Blu-ray. Don't know about their availability in stores, but they are certainly available on the Internet. I do almost all of my media shopping on Amazon. Haven't got time time to run all over town looking for CDs and DVDs. I don't download.
I dont think they are dead, but I do think their hey day is over, despite new titles being released. If you never look online for them, you wouldnt even know what is being released anymore. Also, they are not being manufactured the same. In the beginning, you would buy a DVD, (many being 2 disc sets), get a nice booklet , and a quality case. Now you get a thin disc is a crappy bendable case, with not even a piece of paper inside. Also they have cheapened they way they are being presented. Im a big Clint Eastwood fan, and once bought a deluxe version of Dirty Harry. Last year I saw 4 Dirty Harry films being packaged on one DVD. Awful looking, but half the price of the one I paid for! I think they also packaged Elvis films this way. When the physical product is not pretty, you cannot blame people for not buying and starting to download.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

R2-D2 wrote:I really don't see much of a future for the Elvis Paramount movies in the UK anymore. The entire collection was given away free in a daily newspaper a couple of years ago and can still be picked up for next to nothing in charity shops or on eBay. I would imagine this would seriously affect any plans to issue them on blu-ray.
The general public wouldn't be looking to buy Elvis films in general anyway - and nearly all have been available on DVD for a fiver each in the UK for some time. Blu-ray is a different matter though - it means a new transfer and fans would no doubt but that, and considering some of the films a company such as Arrow have been releasing on Blu-ray (such as a cavalcade of not-good 60s horror movies), there must be a market for this kind of release. A big market isn't always needed for a release, but an easily-predicted market is.

L Ray
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by L Ray »

Greystoke wrote:DVD sales are certainly on the decline, and whilst Blu-ray sales have increased in recent years, so has streaming and downloading movies -- but this hasn't surpassed physical sales or revenue yet. In fact, it's only last year that downloaded albums finally outsold their CD counterparts -- both being streets ahead of the resurgent interest in vinyl. This said, movie-lovers who want the best home cinema experience choose Blu-ray. That's one of the reasons why this format has thrived in spite of DVD, but also because of the commitment studios have to restoring original film negatives and creating new digital transfers that create genuine approximations of 35mm film. This will be better achieved with 4K, but that's a long way off yet, although studios are scanning film in 4K for Blu-ray releases, but mostly for posterity since 4K isn't appreciable on 1080p. DVD doesn't even compare in this regard, but DVDs still sell tremendously, for example, Frozen sold over 11 million copies on DVD in North America alone last year, generating over $185,400,000 in the process. By comparison, it sold over 7.1 million copies on Blu-ray, generating almost $150,000,000. 31 films sold over a million copies each on DVD in North America last year, whilst 17 films reached this threshold on Blu-ray. In 2006/2007 over 100 films were selling a million copies each year on DVD, with several matching and surpassing the sales of Frozen on the this format alone. Last year, Frozen sold considerably more copies than its nearest rivals, and whilst Elvis movies and classic films don't and won't generate anywhere near this kind of revenue, the likes of Criterion, Arrow, Eureka, Twilight Time and Warner Home Video have established thriving Blu-ray catalogues that are only getting better. What the next Elvis Blu-rays will be is anyone's guess, but Elvis isn't being left behind whilst other actors of his generation - and before - are finding all of their movies released on this format. Some actors, such as John Wayne and Clint Eastwood, have had numerous films released on Blu-ray, whilst others, such as Elvis, Cagney, Bogart and Errol Flynn have only a handful. This will change, and when the quality is of a high standard, it's going to be worth the wait. Especially when truly great or genuinely interesting movies are released on Blu-ray. Elvis may not qualify wholeheartedly in this regard, but his most popular and well-known movies will be lapped-up by fans when they are released on Blu-ray, and will probably catch the interest of some casual buyers along the way. King Creole, Blue Hawaii and G.I. Blues come to mind in this regard. Whilst the most important thing to remember is that a restoration of the original film elements will be integral to any forthcoming Blu-ray releases, otherwise there's no point.

Well written. I would like to add that the Elvis blu-rays so far are well done. Hope to see a few more this year.

gantonicel@aol.com
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by gantonicel@aol.com »

I think MGM now controls 25 films including the Paramount titles . They could issue a great Blu-ray box set of those films. But I wouldn't be surprised to see This Is Elvis released next .
Meanwhile I wonder who now owns Loving You, and will we ever see that one on Blu-ray.
Lastly, I believe that Twilight Time could release Kid Galahad, Wild In the Country, Clambake , and Frankie And Johnny. Clambake would need a major restoration.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

gantonicel@aol.com wrote:I think MGM now controls 25 films including the Paramount titles . They could issue a great Blu-ray box set of those films. But I wouldn't be surprised to see This Is Elvis released next .
Meanwhile I wonder who now owns Loving You, and will we ever see that one on Blu-ray.
Lastly, I believe that Twilight Time could release Kid Galahad, Wild In the Country, Clambake , and Frankie And Johnny. Clambake would need a major restoration.
A restoration of Clambake would do little good - the problem isn't the transfer on DVD but the apparent use of cheap film stock.

Claus

Post by Claus »

Greystoke wrote:MGM owns the rights to the films Elvis made at MGM, but also The films he made at United Artists and for the Mirisch Corporation.
Doesn't Warner Bros. own the rights to the films that Elvis made for MGM while MGM owns the rights to the ones he made for United Artists?

HoneyTalkNelson

Post by HoneyTalkNelson »

I used to have a 35mm print of CLAMBAKE. There's nothing wrong with the stock, the prints were dye-transfer Technicolor.

It was shot in 2-perf Techniscope, the same format as ROUSTABOUT. It's a little more grainy but that's about it.

CLAMBAKE looks wonky on tape/DVD because it's a very old transfer. If they were to do a new 2K or 4K scan off the 35mm elements, it would look fine.

Paramount has not had rights on LOVING YOU since the 1960's. The rights reverted to Hal Wallis and were sold to NBC. It now belongs to NBC/Universal.

The current MGM only owns the United Artists/Mirisch Elvis titles.

matilda
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by matilda »

poormadpeter wrote:
gantonicel@aol.com wrote:I think MGM now controls 25 films including the Paramount titles . They could issue a great Blu-ray box set of those films. But I wouldn't be surprised to see This Is Elvis released next .
A restoration of Clambake would do little good - the problem isn't the transfer on DVD but the apparent use of cheap film stock.
On the European dvd clambake looks real good...the american dvd is very bad.
Girls! Girls! Girls! needs a restoration.

L Ray

Post by L Ray »

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:I used to have a 35mm print of CLAMBAKE. There's nothing wrong with the stock, the prints were dye-transfer Technicolor.

It was shot in 2-perf Techniscope, the same format as ROUSTABOUT. It's a little more grainy but that's about it.

CLAMBAKE looks wonky on tape/DVD because it's a very old transfer. If they were to do a new 2K or 4K scan off the 35mm elements, it would look fine.

Paramount has not had rights on LOVING YOU since the 1960's. The rights reverted to Hal Wallis and were sold to NBC. It now belongs to NBC/Universal.

The current MGM only owns the United Artists/Mirisch Elvis titles.

Thanks HoneyTalk for breaking everything down. I regards to Loving You my NBC (Lions Gate Home Entertainment) Loving You dvd is in stunning quality and looks like it was filmed yesterday. If they ever go blu-ray with this one it will be a killer.

EPA4368
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by EPA4368 »

I've seen all Elvis' movies on DVD ranging from good to great quality, with great being the majority but none in poor quality and happy we have some titles released on Blu-ray.

I don't know of any needing a major restoration, but if fans are expecting all to be release on Blu-ray, it's not going to happen.

King Volcano

Post by King Volcano »

JerryNodak wrote:I keep reading about the "death" of DVD and yet I see a lot of new films still being released on DVD before they appear on Blu-ray. Don't know about their availability in stores, but they are certainly available on the Internet..
The only HMV store left in Central London recently removed its Blu-ray displays from the main ground floor and expanded the DVD displays in their place. And last year Sony publically stated Blu-ray has not been very successful for them. I got it not that long ago, so am hoping it isn't going anywhere yet! But more limited editions and higher prices might become increasingly common. Which will make it even more important to research carefully which ones I buy, so I don't get any more duds like the Magical Mystery Tour Blu-ray which is sterile and overprocessed, lacking in detail. But when they're good, they're amazing! Really want a good King Creole Blu.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

King Volcano wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:I keep reading about the "death" of DVD and yet I see a lot of new films still being released on DVD before they appear on Blu-ray. Don't know about their availability in stores, but they are certainly available on the Internet..
The only HMV store left in Central London recently removed its Blu-ray displays from the main ground floor and expanded the DVD displays in their place. And last year Sony publically stated Blu-ray has not been very successful for them. I got it not that long ago, so am hoping it isn't going anywhere yet! But more limited editions and higher prices might become increasingly common. Which will make it even more important to research carefully which ones I buy, so I don't get any more duds like the Magical Mystery Tour Blu-ray which is sterile and overprocessed, lacking in detail. But when they're good, they're amazing! Really want a good King Creole Blu.
HMV seems to be experimenting with layouts at the moment, and is seemingly doing so around the country. A few months back, jazz, folk, easy listening and country were all combined into one big section, but that was (understandably) seemingly not successful as they are now back as individual sections again. As for the London store, I thought it was only the new releases and offers DVD/Blu-ray on the ground floor, with everything else upstairs. I don't think Blu-ray is going anywhere, to be honest, and when/if it is, it will be backwards compatable just as Blu-ray players are.

Claus

Post by Claus »

EPA4368 wrote:I've seen all Elvis' movies on DVD ranging from good to great quality, with great being the majority but none in poor quality and happy we have some titles released on Blu-ray.

I don't know of any needing a major restoration, but if fans are expecting all to be release on Blu-ray, it's not going to happen.
I think you're right. A full restoration is very expensive and who is going to buy these discs outside the fanbase? Follow That Dream has been available for nine months with only 3,000 copies available and they are not sold out yet, so it's not like these movies are big sellers.

columbo
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by columbo »

There have been some HD releases on TV from Elvis.

Blue Hawaii
Blue.Hawaii.1961.720p.HDTV.DD5.1.x264-EucHD-Eng

Frankie & Johnny
Frankie.and.Johnny.1966.720p.WEB-DL.AAC2.0.H264-RARBG

Charro
Charro.1969.720p.WEB-DL.AAC2.0.H264-RARBG

I downloaded them for a while ago, the quality is much better then the standard DVD releases.
So i really want to wait for the blu-ray releases, i think they will release them in the next couple of years.

Regards,
Columbo

You can't miss something that you've never had...

King Volcano

Post by King Volcano »

720p isn't true HD is it Columbo? I thought it was 1080p. Maybe they've made full 1080p masters for those movies you mention, but downgraded them for TV broadcast to cater for the many people who don't have a true HD TV?

gantonicel@aol.com

Claus wrote:
Greystoke wrote:MGM owns the rights to the films Elvis made at MGM, but also The films he made at United Artists and for the Mirisch Corporation.
Doesn't Warner Bros. own the rights to the films that Elvis made for MGM while MGM owns the rights to the ones he made for United Artists?

I'm pretty sure they do , which is why WB has released them in various packaging on DVD , including the 17 film box set which includes the non MGM titles Tickle Me , and Charro. Recently WB has issued 2 four film collections which include a combination of MGM and Paramount films . I believe that Fox now controls the United Artist films as well as their own. I believe that is whom Twilight Time is licensing them from for Blu-ray release.

Dnorman90

Post by Dnorman90 »

I downloaded Blue Hawaii in 1080p. It's grainy, but better than DVD. It wasn't restored by Paramount or whoever owns it now though. Whatever TV station broadcasted it just did a quick transfer.

r&b

Post by r&b »

King Volcano wrote:
I bought many blu-rays when they first started appearing of my favorite movies. Some are truly brilliant and some had me wondering why I'm bothered in the first place. Also, Some are reasonably priced and some are insanely priced. so its not surprising they haven't been the success Sony hoped for. In fact, I am the only one of my friends who bothered to get a player.

L Ray

Post by L Ray »

I decided to invest $11 on the recently released 4 movie DVD set that has both Paramount and MGM titles put out by Warner to see if Girls Girls Girls is remastered. I think the odds are against me and I'm thinking they probably just put the old DVD in the set without improvement but $11 isn't much to find out. It will arrive in a few days and I will comment on this thread after I take a look.

L Ray

Post by L Ray »

So I have the recently released set 4 DVD set that includes Girls Girls Girls. As I suspected it is exactly the same as from many years ago. Warner has done nothing to improve the Paramount movies. Girls Girls is the same as always. Maybe someday some of these will come out on Blu-ray and we will get the upgrade needed. But for now, nothing.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

L Ray wrote:So I have the recently released set 4 DVD set that includes Girls Girls Girls. As I suspected it is exactly the same as from many years ago. Warner has done nothing to improve the Paramount movies. Girls Girls is the same as always. Maybe someday some of these will come out on Blu-ray and we will get the upgrade needed. But for now, nothing.
It's hardly surprising - you're paying less than $3 a movie - WB aren't going to restore them until a Blu-ray release is being planned.

TheMaskedClown
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by TheMaskedClown »

willditka wrote:i heard that all of the Elvis movies made at Paramount, were recently bought by MGM. Supposedly, they were doing digital film transfers of said movies and re-releasing them on DVD under the MGM banner.
That was at least two years ago and i haven't heard anything since.Are the digital film transfers a reality or a rumor?
Suffice it to say, Paramount's DVD versions were of sub-standard quality and i sure would love to see the colorful ROUSTABOUT in a digital (and less grainy) transfer on DVD and even better, blu ray releases of all the Paramount titles.
Any info?
Don't we want Blu-ray editions and not DVDs?

gantonicel@aol.com

TheMaskedClown wrote:
willditka wrote:i heard that all of the Elvis movies made at Paramount, were recently bought by MGM. Supposedly, they were doing digital film transfers of said movies and re-releasing them on DVD under the MGM banner.
That was at least two years ago and i haven't heard anything since.Are the digital film transfers a reality or a rumor?
Suffice it to say, Paramount's DVD versions were of sub-standard quality and i sure would love to see the colorful ROUSTABOUT in a digital (and less grainy) transfer on DVD and even better, blu ray releases of all the Paramount titles.
Any info?
I know I would , but I'd hope that films needing re-mastering would be upgraded first . I've heard rumors that King Creole , and Blue Hawaii will be released this year . At one time I thought that the hoopla over Elvis' 80th birthday would be the catalyst , but it no longer appears that there will be ANYTHING released to coincide with that anniversary .

r&b

Post by r&b »

TheMaskedClown wrote:
Any info?
Yes, but we all know how TTWII turned out. Do it right or dont do it all. Not wasting more money on these movies if they are not presented perfectly.

gantonicel@aol.com

r&b wrote:
TheMaskedClown wrote:
Any info?
Yes, but we all know how TTWII turned out. Do it right or dont do it all. Not wasting more money on these movies if they are not presented perfectly.
Yes, I agree 100%. Transfers on films like Clambake and GGG are not even good enough for DVD, let alone Blu-ray. So, complete remastering from the original elements is required before the could be released on Blu-ray . Whether or not the companies involved consider that economically feasible I don't know .