Moby Dick?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Arvis Paisley

Moby Dick?

Post by Arvis Paisley »

What does Elvis mean when he says "I think I see Moby Dick" or just shouts out "Moby Dick!" during a concert?

Is this a joke that I am unaware of?

Ricky

Re: Moby Dick?

Post by Ricky »

He picked up the microphone stand and pretended to sail it across the stage. Imitating the act of harpooning a whale, such as the famed "Moby Dick" from the famous book.

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

Hound Dawg wrote:What does Elvis mean when he says "I think I see Moby Dick" or just shouts out "Moby Dick!" during a concert?

Yes, it is a joke. He usually does it when holding the mic stand like a harpoon.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Hound Dawg wrote:What does Elvis mean when he says "I think I see Moby Dick" or just shouts out "Moby Dick!" during a concert?

I assume you are aware of the famous book by Herman Melville?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moby-Dick

When you hear Elvis reference "Moby Dick" at the 12-15-1956 "Louisiana Hayride" benefit show, it is undoubtedly to the classic John Huston film released that summer by Warner Bros. and starring Gregory Peck as Captain Ahab. It was a huge hit, and Elvis probably first saw it during his July vacation. His reference during the 6-29-1968 stand up shows is unusual, but perhaps the film had been on TV recently. Obviously, he thought it was a funny notion, this great white whale coming after him.

560627_Moby Dick_Warner Bros.JPG
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049513
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Arvis Paisley

Post by Arvis Paisley »

Thanks, that makes sense now. A lot of things are lost without the visuals. There should have been more concerts filmed.

One thing that I always had a hard time with until I saw concert footage is how sometimes he stops singing randomly several times during the middle of a song. I didn't realize at first he was stopping to kiss people.

Topic author
Arvis Paisley

Post by Arvis Paisley »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

When you hear Elvis reference "Moby Dick" at the 12-15-1956 "Louisiana Hayride" benefit show, it is undoubtedly to the classic John Huston film released that summer by Warner Bros. and starring Gregory Peck as Captain Ahab. It was a huge hit, and Elvis probably first saw it during his July vacation. His reference during the 6-29-1968 stand up shows is unusual, but perhaps the film had been on TV recently. Obviously, he thought it was a funny notion, this great white whale coming after him.

Thanks for the more detailed explanation--Yes, I know the book, just didn't know why he would randomly shout it out. :wink:

drjohncarpenter

"Moby Dick" was nationally broadcast at least twice in the 1960s:

ABC-TV: Sunday, May 20, 1962
CBS-TV: Friday, February 4, 1966

Betcha Elvis watched both times. He loved Moby Dick very, very much.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

jacob

Post by jacob »

was Lamar in the 68 audience? I think he was? Perhaps it was a joke at him (As he was large)

Mister Mike

Post by Mister Mike »

jacob wrote:was Lamar in the 68 audience? I think he was? Perhaps it was a joke at him (As he was large)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

drjohncarpenter

jacob wrote:was Lamar in the 68 audience? I think he was? Perhaps it was a joke at him (As he was large)
The late Lamar Fike wasn't in the audience, and the comment was not aimed at him.

Elvis did not make fun of his friends while taping performances for U.S. network broadcast.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

showfan

Post by showfan »

Hound Dawg wrote:Thanks, that makes sense now. A lot of things are lost without the visuals. There should have been more concerts filmed.

One thing that I always had a hard time with until I saw concert footage is how sometimes he stops singing randomly several times during the middle of a song. I didn't realize at first he was stopping to kiss people.
Same here. In the late 80s, I hadn't seen the Aloha concert in years, but I bought it on tape. I thought he had forgotten the words to "Hound Dog" when he started that mumbling during it; I couldn't believe it. Then i saw it and realized he was having a little fun wiping his face with a handkerchief for a woman in the audience. That made more sense.

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
The late Lamar Fike wasn't in the audience, and the comment was not aimed at him.

Elvis did not make fun of his friends while taping performances for U.S. network broadcast.
He made fun at Alan Fortas during the taping of one of the Sit Down Shows..referring to him as "That"

SteamrollerBlues

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

Mister Mike wrote:
Good use of a wrestling gif.

TINML

Post by TINML »

SteamrollerBlues wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:
It's certainly appropriate.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

SteamrollerBlues

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

TINML wrote:
SteamrollerBlues wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:
It's certainly appropriate.
Indeed.

donwebster449
BANNED - FREQUENT RETURNING MEMBER

Post by donwebster449 »

Lamar as Moby Dick makes me laugh quite loud!

drjohncarpenter

donwebster449 wrote:Lamar as Moby Dick makes me laugh quite loud!
Thanks. :smt023

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

jacob

Post by jacob »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Lamar was with Elvis when they were making the Special as he dismisses the story of Elvis being ignored when Steve Binder took him out on to the Strip,
"That's total Bull****.He took Elvis out on Sunset alright.But phew!It was a mess.WE had to fight to get him back in." (Page449 REVELATIONS OF THE MM)
Too me, the WE implied that Lamar was there with Elvis.

mike edwards66

Post by mike edwards66 »

jacob wrote:Lamar was with Elvis when they were making the Special as he dismisses the story of Elvis being ignored when Steve Binder took him out on to the Strip,
"That's total Bull****.He took Elvis out on Sunset alright.But phew!It was a mess.WE had to fight to get him back in." (Page449 REVELATIONS OF THE MM)
Elvis ignored on Sunset Strip, yeah right. Moby Dick.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

drjohncarpenter wrote:"Moby Dick" was nationally broadcast at least twice in the 1960s:

ABC-TV: Sunday, May 20, 1962
CBS-TV: Friday, February 4, 1966

Betcha Elvis watched both times. He loved Moby Dick very, very much.
I wonder if he ever read the book.

drjohncarpenter

jacob wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The late Lamar Fike wasn't in the audience, and the comment was not aimed at him.

Lamar was with Elvis when they were making the Special as he dismisses the story of Elvis being ignored when Steve Binder took him out on to the Strip,
There is no debate about that. Lamar Fike is seen in many photographs at NBC Burbank in June 1968, and his distinctive laughter is heard on both of the amazing dressing room recordings taped by Joe Esposito (June 24) and Steve Binder (June 25), respectively. But it is a fact that Elvis did not make fun of his friends in the manner you suggest.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

donwebster449

Post by donwebster449 »

Charlie had a distinctive laugh too don't you believe it? Almost not natural!

drjohncarpenter

donwebster449 wrote:Charlie had a distinctive laugh too don't you believe it? Almost not natural!
Indeed, it was part of his magic.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

HILLBILLY KID

Post by HILLBILLY KID »

Sorry this is off topic.
Yes, good old Charlie :) I know there are people on here who "Charlie bash" as I call it; saying his vocals should be taken off records (or at least they wouldn't mind if they were!) etc. But I like him..yes his laughter may have been a tad sycophantic and false sounding at times (and I think there were times when that is the case..laughing to help Elvis feel at ease even if what he was saying wasn't as funny as Charlie's reaction warranted) but I just like him..he's part of Elvis history and an important one.

You're gonna need a bigger boat

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Charlie Hodge is an important part of Elvis history? If Charlie was so, what about Sam Phillips, Marion Keisker, Scotty Moore, Chips Moman and Steve Binder?