Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Re: All The Kings Men Documentary VHS Set

Post by brian »

elvis-fan wrote:
brian wrote:I saw part one of the Sinatra documentary and it surprised me that it was mostly audio interviews from Frank Sinatra and of other people talking about him.
They could do that with Elvis.
I thought it would have had a bunch of unseen, unreleased footage but it didn't.
It's been done...
Then why is r&b and other posters on here complaining??????

r&b

Post by r&b »

brian wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
brian wrote:I saw part one of the Sinatra documentary and it surprised me that it was mostly audio interviews from Frank Sinatra and of other people talking about him.
I thought it would have had a bunch of unseen, unreleased footage but it didn't.
It's been done...
Then why is r&b and other posters on here complaining??????
Did u see the Sinatra doc or The Beatles Anthology? That DVD set, while good, is lacking in comprehensive story telling. its randomly good at best.

epf

Post by epf »

So, with all the sources available to us, photographs and audio, we could do this? Public funding?

Dnorman90

Post by Dnorman90 »

I heard on youtube an interview Elvis gave in 71' or 72'? not sure. But it was like 15 minutes long talking about the early years. Take that plus some of those old "Boy from tupelo" interviews, Madison Square Garden interview ect.. I think it could be done.

HAPPIES
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by HAPPIES »

There are tapes of Elvis speaking privately to friends. I heard three of them in the early eighties.

I do not know who owns them now, or if they even exist now. Such a shame. I've been searching, and apart from finding part of one, I haven't found the others. It appears they died with their owners.

Maybe they're just not meant to be heard by everyone. I never saw Elvis perform let alone had the great pleasure of meeting him, but I did have the pleasure of knowing two people who did. I remember most of what I heard all those years ago. What a guy, funny, smart, a swearer like no one I've ever heard, and yet sometimes my heart bled for him.

Sometimes I might misspell names, as I recently did, but I only heard these things once, and as I'm not the greatest data miner in the world, and not so savvy with a computer, I do my best.

I thought some small insights might be of interest to fans, and while I can understand people asking for documented proof, the sad reality is not everything in history has been. Including that of Elvis. So for anyone demanding I provide it, I can't.

Call me whatever names you like without breaking FECC guidelines. :P I'll continue to post what I heard with my own ears.

Cheers. HAPPIES.

HAPPIES

Post by HAPPIES »

Apologies folks. The last post of mine was an answer to a question I was asked, and I mistakenly thought it was in this thread. :oops:

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Dnorman90 wrote:I don't see an anthology type thing working. But a 4 hour doc would be doable and great!
How in the world do you figure "a 4 hour doc would be doable"? The money required for resources to research, recover, restore, and compile relevant footage alone is simply not there.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

trevorelvis
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

All The Kings Men Documentary VHS Set

Post by trevorelvis »

I have people leave the group when I posted the two parts of this available on you tube - wish someone would upload the rest - could birth em to dvd - I plan on getting unofficial DVDS as its a must watch - fascinating - didn't care - to the hardcore this is essential viewing - I can honestly say the only ppl,I have zero interest in are The Stanley's - The Alden's (due to the bullying they inflicted - the stupid moron sister accused me of being Dick Grob when I reviewed his book) and then they found out I had 2 liver transplants and a terminal illness so they to,d me to kill myself - was a safe of oxygen - along with Elvis visit to Graceland which I did I always wanted to run the rocky steps my- Poundcake got the morons to visit my photos and say why didn't you die on the fcking steps ) she makes lunatic photoshops of herself - and because I posted one she made herself as a joke she got her group to report on masse and I was kicked off FB for about 24 hours. I've seen some ppl in limbo for 8 months - I reported an Isis beheading but that was deemed not gratuitous violence :) - or Dave Hebler - you can hear Elvis disgust for him on the transcript with Red

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Elvis Facebook Group : His Truth Goes Marching On

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tcbelvis

Page at https://www.facebook.com/elvispresleyhistruthismarchingon/

http://twitter.com/presleytweets

Elvis Presley 1970
"Before you abuse, criticise or accuse - walk a mile in my shoes"

Rocky Balboa 2007
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits."

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

trevorelvis wrote:(...)the stupid moron sister accused me of being Dick Grob(...)
I would have felt insulted, too. :lol:

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

HAPPIES

Post by HAPPIES »

Trevor, I am so sorry you had to experience the despicable behaviour of those people. What they did was unforgivable.

I don't know you, but I want to wish you well, and keep my fingers crossed that you do find peace of mind in better days ahead. :(

Dnorman90

Post by Dnorman90 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Dnorman90 wrote:I don't see an anthology type thing working. But a 4 hour doc would be doable and great!
How in the world do you figure "a 4 hour doc would be doable"? The money required for resources to research, recover, restore, and compile relevant footage alone is simply not there.
I'm saying that there is enough footage (newly found and old) and interviews old (or new). Why would there be no money for that? They don't have to go to the end of the earth for new footage, It's in front of them. I would imagine EPE has a lot of money and if some company like HBO came forward and wanted to do it, it could get done. It would do a lot of good for the general public that unfortunately only have a commercial about insurance with corny impersonators as their reminder of Elvis. I would think if they have enough money to be putting out cd's with the same tracklist 3 times a year, money for a new hotel and cleaning up the area around Graceland, documentary's like "Elvis by the Presely's",and money for FTD's to produce, ect.. they would have plenty. It wouldn't be a waste.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Dnorman90 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
I'm saying that there is enough footage (newly found and old) and interviews old (or new). Why would there be no money for that? They don't have to go to the end of the earth for new footage, It's in front of them. I would imagine EPE has a lot of money and if some company like HBO came forward and wanted to do it, it could get done. It would do a lot of good for the general public that unfortunately only have a commercial about insurance with corny impersonators as their reminder of Elvis. I would think if they have enough money to be putting out cd's with the same tracklist 3 times a year, money for a new hotel and cleaning up the area around Graceland, documentary's like "Elvis by the Presely's",and money for FTD's to produce, ect.. they would have plenty. It wouldn't be a waste.
An Elvis doc like the Sinatra doc would be great. Its would be like an updated version or a facelift to the old existing docs. Sorely needed IMO. I will tell you this. The SInatra doc has brought a renewed interest in Sinatra. Right now, he is a hotter music commodity than Elvis as far as press and media go. Even in stores. His CDs are featured out front.

Dnorman90

Post by Dnorman90 »

r&b wrote:
Dnorman90 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
An Elvis doc like the Sinatra doc would be great. Its would be like an updated version or a facelift to the old existing docs. Sorely needed IMO. I will tell you this. The SInatra doc has brought a renewed interest in Sinatra. Right now, he is a hotter music commodity than Elvis as far as press and media go. Even in stores. His CDs are featured out front.
Elvis needs a new doc bad for the new generation to see his career and life, I think it's EPE's fault, I thank them for Graceland, but they do a horrible job with Elvis' image and promoting him. I remember years ago that deal Lisa Marie did where she sold the marketing part. They haven't done crap IMO. All we get is some crappy commercials, impersonators, and "greatest hits" cd's every year in the public eye. Sinatra's estate does a good job. Sure, there's "Hit" cd's but done very nicely (not the same track list every time) and they also release cd's with obscure work to the public. You won't see a Sinatra rubber ducky and toilet paper holder. Sure, there's Elvis Docs out there, but come on.. try comparing "this is Elvis" or "Elvis: a friend remembered" to Sinatra's "All or Nothing" or The Doors "When You're Strange". If EPE doesn't have money to do such a project, it's their own fault for bad promotion and imaging of Elvis all these years. But, I seriously don't think they are hurting for money.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Dnorman90 wrote:
r&b wrote:
Dnorman90 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvis needs a new doc bad for the new generation to see his career and life, I think it's EPE's fault, I thank them for Graceland, but they do a horrible job with Elvis' image and promoting him. I remember years ago that deal Lisa Marie did where she sold the marketing part. They haven't done crap IMO. All we get is some crappy commercials, impersonators, and "greatest hits" cd's every year in the public eye. Sinatra's estate does a good job. Sure, there's "Hit" cd's but done very nicely (not the same track list every time) and they also release cd's with obscure work to the public. You won't see a Sinatra rubber ducky and toilet paper holder. Sure, there's Elvis Docs out there, but come on.. try comparing "this is Elvis" or "Elvis: a friend remembered" to Sinatra's "All or Nothing" or The Doors "When You're Strange". If EPE doesn't have money to do such a project, it's their own fault for bad promotion and imaging of Elvis all these years. But, I seriously don't think they are hurting for money.
Any existing Elvis docs in no way compare to the docs done on the other big 3 in music

Beatles Anthology
Sinatra - All or Nothing At all
Bob Dylan - No Direction Home or Dont Look Back - take your pick!

Dnorman90

Post by Dnorman90 »

The Rolling Stones Doc that aired last year, "Crossfire Hurricane" I think it was called, was phenomenal as well. One done on James Brown on HBO was quite good too. "Don't Look Back" is one of my favorite music films and watch it probably once a year! :)

r&b

Post by r&b »

Dnorman90 wrote:The Rolling Stones Doc that aired last year, "Crossfire Hurricane" I think it was called, was phenomenal as well. One done on James Brown on HBO was quite good too. "Don't Look Back" is one of my favorite music films and watch it probably once a year! :)
Yes the Stones doc was exceptional as well. This Is Elvis pales compared to these Im sorry to say.

Topic author
Moonchild
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Moonchild »

2 more newer docs i really liked was the Rush doc & the Alice cooper doc.

Dnorman90

Post by Dnorman90 »

I haven't Seen the rush one, I liked the Alice Cooper one too. The one on George Harrison was great as well! "Material World" I think??

jparsons1969
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by jparsons1969 »

Yes, Super Duper Alice Cooper is perhaps the best doc I've seen on an artist, especially the way it was laid out. If it can be done for Alice, it can certainly be done for Elvis. New Cooper releases (audio) for the past 10 years have only sold 75,000 units on average. His live appearances have very modest attendance (with the exception of the Motley Crue Farewell Tour). Saw him at the Roanoke Civic center playing to 1,300 people. A lot of the general public is not even aware that the original Alice Cooper Group and the solo artist are two completely different things, but yet a very well produced documentary was released. Yes, there is cost involved in an updated definitve Presley documentary release, but if done correctly and campaigned properly it would be well worth it.

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by TINML »

Sorry but the greatest Rock Doc of all time has to be Tom Petty's Running Down A Dream directed by Pete Bogdanovich.

I found Harrison's doc to be wayyyyy too focused on the Fabs and his post Beatle career gets a passing mention compared to his pre-1970 life & career.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."