Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Are MONO 60s recordings worthy of reissue?

Tue May 13, 2003 4:08 am

I don't know that I ever owned a mono LP version of a 60s soundtrack,
so I don't know about the difference in sound/mix between the monos
and the stereos, but I know many of you do know this subject well,
and I'm wondering if the mono albums are worthy of reissue?
As 60s collectors know, the trend in archival reissues in the last
few years has been to present BOTH the mono and stereo versions
of a classic album, and Sundazed has been reissuing on vinyl the
original 1960s mono versions of classic Bob Dylan albums.
Do you feel that this would be worthwhile with Elvis?
(Or is this already in the game plan of BMG--after selling us the
beautiful new FTD soundtrack reissues and running out of albums
to reissue, they will begin a "classic mono masters" series to keep
the product coming? or is that too cynical a thought?).
Anyway, please tell us what you think. Curtis and others were discussing
this with the World's Fair soundtrack--are there other LP's where you all
think the mono version is a separate artifact worth making available again???
Also, were any of the post-Army soundtrack LP's in fake stereo?
I just have the Double Features CD reissues of most of them...

Bill S.
(I've been away from the messageboard for many months--hello to
my old friends)

Tue May 13, 2003 4:13 am

the mono mixes of elvis lps are just combined from the stereo masters.
no the soundtracks were not in rechanneled stereo except for a handful of songs on elvis for everyone.
because they didn't release the stereo masters.

Tue May 13, 2003 5:59 am

Also In My Collection a mono version of gold records vol 3
in mono and to it to sounded better then the stereo
version.

curtis simpkins

Tue May 13, 2003 6:00 am

Glad to have you back Bill. Hope you got my e-mail.
I have been trying to collect all of Elvis' mono recordings. There are still a few I don't have. They do sound different, of course and I guess you could call them alternate mixes compared to the stereo versions.
I think it would be a great idea to release his recordings with the mono and stereo versions on one disc.

jeff R

Tue May 13, 2003 6:04 am

jj wich ones do you have right if you dont mine me asking

oh i also have roustabout in mono
and i kinda like it better then stereo.

Tue May 13, 2003 6:41 am

I have most of the mono lps. I am missing a couple of them. I will have to check. I know I don't have Speedway in mono but who does?

jeff R

Tue May 13, 2003 7:26 am

i here that gold records vol-4 is getting hearder to find
to. like the speedway this will be hard to find elvis lp.

curtis simpkins

Tue May 13, 2003 8:10 am

As Tulsa1960 points out the mono tracks are simply the stereo ones combined.

Bill Porter refers to this in his interview.

It would make little sense for RCA to issue mono CD's from stereo CD's. As much sense as re-issueing 78rpm or wax cylinders.

If you want the mono sound then combine them yourself - or hot-wire your stereo system.

Tue May 13, 2003 8:17 am

look i have seen a cd of the beach boys pet sound
and they put two version of this old lp

1. stereo
2.mono.

bmg can do the same thing.

curtis simpkins

Tue May 13, 2003 8:54 am

There is a HUGE difference here.

Pet Sounds was deliberately and seperately mixed into mono and seperately mixed for stereo. They were post mixed from multitrack after the band had left the studio. Ax were The Beatles via George Martin.

The RCA Elvis 60's material was mixed "live" on the spot down to two-track stereo and these merely combined to create a mono mix.

By the way Curtis I must congratulate you over the HUGE improvement in your spelling and grammer - or have you forgotten which personna you are today :wink:

Tue May 13, 2003 9:46 am

Thanks, Kiwi and Tulsa, for the clarification. :D

Tue May 13, 2003 9:42 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:As Tulsa1960 points out the mono tracks are simply the stereo ones combined.

Bill Porter refers to this in his interview.

It would make little sense for RCA to issue mono CD's from stereo CD's. As much sense as re-issueing 78rpm or wax cylinders.

If you want the mono sound then combine them yourself - or hot-wire your stereo system.

I am not so sure this is the truth for the Hollywood recordings. To me releases like Frankie and Johnny seems to be mixed differently in mono and stereo. And personally I like the mono versions of many of the soundtrack albums better than the stereo releases.

MONO AGAIN

Tue May 13, 2003 10:23 pm

I remember years ago when songs like "I'm leavin" and "Suspicious minds" were only available in mono, and when they were finally released in stereo many years later, they sounded so alive and like hearing them for the first time. You could hear instruments you hadn't heard before. I have no desire to have everything reissued in old fashioned mono all over again, as pretty soon, everybody will be crying out to have the entire catalogue reissued in 5.1 audio, and if you've heard any of the Beatles songs on the "Anthology" DVD set in 5.1, you will know how awesome they sound!!!
TONY DOBB

Tue May 13, 2003 11:06 pm

Curtis Simpkins wrote:look i have seen a cd of the beach boys pet sound
and they put two version of this old lp

1. stereo
2.mono.

bmg can do the same thing.

curtis simpkins

Agree, curtis. Pet Sounds is absolutely marvelous! Since many of the Beach Boys albums were originally released in mono (I once read that Brian Wilson prefered mono to stereo as to my knowledge Phil Spector did) why not re-release them in mono? Looks like they were meant to be this way.

On the other hand: I don't think BMG can afford a remastering in 24bit HDCD. It would simply be too expensive, I guess. I don't know whether it's possible for most of Elvis 50ies recordings were recorded in mono while Wilson used multitrack recording and mixed them into mono back then. At least that is what I understand from the booklet of Pet Sounds. But I can be wrong ...

Re: MONO AGAIN

Tue May 13, 2003 11:10 pm

TONY wrote:and if you've heard any of the Beatles songs on the "Anthology" DVD set in 5.1, you will know how awesome they sound!!!
TONY DOBB

Hmmh, to my knowledge the Beatles Anthology is in Dolby Surround / DTS Surround only. That's in fact the reason I don't buy it. I mean, how can you release a 5 DVD box set and not even invest your money in 5.1. Dolby Digital???

Mono/Stereo

Wed May 14, 2003 12:07 am

One song that is slightly different between the mono and stereo mixes is suspicious minds. The backing track is the same, but the horn section overdub was a different take on the mono version, according to Bill Porter.

Wed May 14, 2003 3:20 pm

Greg

Interesting !
Where did you get the info?

Regards
Dan

Thu May 15, 2003 5:30 am

I own copies of Frankie & Johnny and Harum Scarum in mono.
The HS LP has the original pic and album sleeve.
Are those mono LP's worth much these days?

Re: MONO AGAIN

Thu May 15, 2003 6:36 am

Hmmh, to my knowledge the Beatles Anthology is in Dolby Surround / DTS Surround only. That's in fact the reason I don't buy it. I mean, how can you release a 5 DVD box set and not even invest your money in 5.1. Dolby Digital???

It is in
Dolby Digaital 5.1 surround. and
DTS 5.1 surround.

Re: Are MONO 60s recordings worthy of reissue?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:19 am

Since I was born after Elvis died, I don't care about mono (where stereo is available) or original mixes, I just want the best sound they can now achieve on each song.
Just listen how good the Memphis '69 songs sound on "ELV1S #30 1 Hits" and "2nd To None" (loudness aside.)

Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:38 am

The recent Johnny Cash boxed set contains the first 19 Columbia albums in mono rather than stereo, and there are a number of marked differences. While I don't know the mono Elvis mixes well, I'm sure there must be similar differences there as well. Considering we have so much material now, and people are wanting complete sessions more and more, it seems odd that there has not been more requests for the mono mixes - especially as Elvis was known to favour them.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:25 am

I miss SAM... :(

Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:24 am

elvis-fan wrote:I miss SAM... :(

Me too.............

Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:55 pm

Me too...... :(