Whole Lotta Shakin Horns Overdub

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

memphisound
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Re: Whole Lotta Shakin Horns Overdub

Post by memphisound »

Matthew wrote:Gives it a bit of a rock edge that on one hand enhances it, and on the other pulls it down. There is no sparkle in the vocal presentation, no joy to it. It's just aggression.
Don't agree. No joy too it, I don't understand, don't expect him to laugh or giggle through it or something.

He gave the song a rock edge, and yet it pulls the song down. No wonder Elvis didn't read critics opinions etc, Most of your assessments are legit, reasonable, and down to earth, but this is just contradicting in itself.

He's not trying to be playful, or make it sparkle like you say, he wants it hard edge, rock n roll.

Poor Elvis, could never win lol.

PREVIOUSLY BANNED MEMBER "BRADM".

Stevenson
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Stevenson »

charroman wrote:Only recently heard the horn overdub version of Whole Lotta Shakin. I understand Elvis actually asked Felton to remove the horns .....and i know I am going to put the cat amongst the pigeons here (!) but I really like and dare I say prefer the overdub version. Still love the released one but the overdubs do add something for me.

reminds me somewhat of the horn section work on the Rolling Stones album Exile on Main Street from 72 or some of Tina Turners work in that period. Very funky and driving and well worked and they stop on the track at the point that Felton probably knew the song would be faded. Was it a single contender I wonder?

Either way some trouble had been taken to recording and arranging the horns so perhaps El thought that for the "Country" album the horns gave it too much edge and funk and an un-country sound?

Anyone know the full story as there are no notes on the FTD Country set that explain.....
Am I alone in digging the horn section overdubs?
I like 'em. This is the only version of the song (by E, of course) I like.

When your heart gets restless - time to move along,
When your heart gets weary - time to sing a song,
But when a dream is calling you
There's just one thing that you can do...

Follow That Dream (1961)

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by promiseland »

Overdub or not it's still the worst track ever layed to type by E.P..

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by rickeap »

The horns are terrible and wisely removed, but Elvis' performance is terrific, particularly on the unedited version.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

SteamrollerBlues wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Personally, I think there were two errors of judgement on the Elvis Country album. One was the linking of songs with the snippets from I Was Born About 10,000 Years ago, which is a kind of half-hearted attempt at entering the concept album arena. It doesn't make it a concept album in reality - it was put together from a mammoth recording session and the only connection between the songs is genre which, in turn, would make His Hand in Mine a concept album too, which it isn't.

The other mistake was the heavy editing of Faded Love, I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water and Whole Lotta Shakin'. All three, in their unedited forms, are wonderful examples of Elvis making music his way (with a loose semi-improvised approach) and getting totally lost in the music within that process. We now that the Whole Lotta Shakin session was...interesting...but the same applies for this as much as the other two songs I mention. They all gain from being unedited (or, at least, less edited). It's almost as if Jarvis, Elvis and RCA were scared that Elvis fans couldn't cope with a song running over three minutes. Yes, this would have resulted in a ten-track album (probably dropping the straightforward Snowbird and the rather bland Make the World Go Away), but I believe it would have been stronger for it.
Can you elaborate for me please? I haven't heard the sessions before.

Elvis was reportedly behaving strangely and in a bad mood, supposedly under the influence - which, with the exception of Snowbird, finds its way channelled into the music.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

memphisound wrote:Don't agree. No joy too it, I don't understand, don't expect him to laugh or giggle through it or something.

He gave the song a rock edge, and yet it pulls the song down. No wonder Elvis didn't read critics opinions etc, Most of your assessments are legit, reasonable, and down to earth, but this is just contradicting in itself.

He's not trying to be playful, or make it sparkle like you say, he wants it hard edge, rock n roll.

Poor Elvis, could never win lol.
The only thing Elvis wanted to achieve with the song was to get it over and done with as quickly as possible.

The "edge" is not intentional, it's a byproduct of his bad mood. Had it been intentional we would hear more of a spark in the voice.

It's a joyless affair because Elvis is taking little joy in singing and recording it. That's my point.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

He was ready to get out of the studio IIRC reading/listening FTD. But, was patient enough to instruct his band the groove that he liked or wanted. This is a perfect example of knowing behind the scenes stuff ruins the ride sometimes. I forgot the name of a good actor that was very adament about Hollywood letting behind the scenes work be filmed and shown. It ruined for many, the "magic".

Topic author
charroman
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by charroman »

Could be another example of a tongue in cheek comment but its interesting that on the direction he gives to the band on the feel of the song El says something like "I've sung this too much already"
I believe the master is Take 2 (?) so perhaps suggests there were a number of rehearsal run throughs.

goldbelt
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by goldbelt »

Without the horns it's a great track, with the horns it's also an enjoyable listen - and it's good to have both versions of the recording to enjoy as the horns in a way do add a rockier energy (or something) to the same performance (intended or otherwise).

So, I like both versions very much, however, removing the horns for original LP release was the correct way to go.

Of course the horn overdub version came out many moons ago on the import disc Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On around the same time BMG put out the unedited undubbed master on their wonderful 'A Hundred Years From Now compilation'.

Disc 2 of the Elvis Country FTD then went on to provide some of the interesting studio chat preceding the performance - chat that does also include some genuine Elvis laughter as well as an enthusiasm when discussing arrangement ideas.

Elvis talks about fading it out when he gets tired of singing the song - which would probably be very shortly because he'd been singing it too long already Elvis states. Interestingly a 'wild rehearsal' of it is mentioned in Ernst's 'A Life In Music' - that would be cool to hear.

One wonders why the wild rehearsal wasn't included on the FTD as well, if I'm not mistaken there was room on the disc for a little more, and the track 'September Warm Up' isn't exactly essential is it?

So, yeah, I like the horn overdubs as well as the original version, but probably my favourite version of the track is the undubbed unedited master from the 'A Hundred Years From Now' cd.

SteamrollerBlues
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

promiseland wrote:Overdub or not it's still the worst track ever layed to type by E.P..
Nah.

HILLBILLY KID
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by HILLBILLY KID »

I personally enjoy all the songs on Elvis Country but am not one who likes everything just because it's recored by Elvis. Anyway, I like the extended Whole Lotta Shakin' that carries on past the "take it out Jerry" part where Elvis almost goes into a Rhumba beat that is matched by the drums.

You're gonna need a bigger boat

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by fn2drive »

Juan Luis wrote:He was ready to get out of the studio IIRC reading/listening FTD. But, was patient enough to instruct his band the groove that he liked or wanted. This is a perfect example of knowing behind the scenes stuff ruins the ride sometimes. I forgot the name of a good actor that was very adament about Hollywood letting behind the scenes work be filmed and shown. It ruined for many, the "magic".
Patient ? He was rude, angry, petulant and condescending all within a couple of minutes with some damn good musicians. Pretty good insight into the real Elvis. Were the drugs talking- in part but also the Elvis generally hidden from the world. Hearing the dialog is even more uncomfortable than the Desert Storm monologue for me.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

fn2drive wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:He was ready to get out of the studio IIRC reading/listening FTD. But, was patient enough to instruct his band the groove that he liked or wanted. This is a perfect example of knowing behind the scenes stuff ruins the ride sometimes. I forgot the name of a good actor that was very adament about Hollywood letting behind the scenes work be filmed and shown. It ruined for many, the "magic".
Patient ? He was rude, angry, petulant and condescending all within a couple of minutes with some damn good musicians. Pretty good insight into the real Elvis. Were the drugs talking- in part but also the Elvis generally hidden from the world. Hearing the dialog is even more uncomfortable than the Desert Storm monologue for me.
I do not hear it as bad as you do. And comparing this to that infamous monolog makes your opinion even more exaggerated and subjective. If that's even possible.

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by TINML »

fn2drive wrote:
The version on Elvis Country does paint E in a bad light, he comes off as an arrogant a**. That being said, im sure it had a lot to do with the drugs he was on & wanting to get out of the studio ASAP.

I don't think this was the real Elvis, not for a second.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

TINML wrote:I don't think this was the real Elvis, not for a second.
It was definitely part of his personality, he just didn't keep a lid on it this time around.

Must have been quite awkward for the musicians.

Pete Dube
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Pete Dube »

The problem with the horn overdub is that it's a bad arrangement that simply doesn't fit the performance. As far as Whole Lotta Shakin' goes, If Ernst hadn't written about Elvis' mood and being under the influence most folks here would be singin' the number's praises.

DarrylMac
Registered for: 21 years

Post by DarrylMac »

I don't care about his mood, or anything else. To me, it's one his best of the 70's, always gets a repeat play. I love the way he and the band treat it, they're really going for it! The guitar work is fantastic, and I just don't hear anything disengaged or lacking in the vocal.

SteamrollerBlues
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

Totally honest here, I've never got the impression Elvis was pissed off or drugged up when listening to it.

Love the song, I think it's a great performance.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

Juan Luis wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
I do not hear it as bad as you do. And comparing this to that infamous monolog makes your opinion even more exaggerated and subjective. If that's even possible.
By definition if it is my opinion it is subjective. And it is hardly exaggerated. It reveals what it must have really been like to be around him. Chaley Joe get me water your still on the payroll. Hurls the same type of insults in the rehearsal cut of Stranger in my Own town (Slow blues version).

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

fn2drive wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
By definition if it is my opinion it is subjective. And it is hardly exaggerated. It reveals what it must have really been like to be around him. Chaley Joe get me water your still on the payroll. Hurls the same type of insults in the rehearsal cut of Stranger in my Own town (Slow blues version).
I know the definition and I know what I stated. Elvis' humor with "the boys" was missed by yourself IMO on the slow Blues number SIMOHT. Elvis almost broke up laughing. So did the rest of the group at the end of the impromptu, ad-libbed and funny (to them as well) performance. One should not IMO take it upon oneself, what constitutes insults between friends (grown men acting like boys in the playground) or not. And don't tell me now this was bullying. LOL...
Last edited by Juan Luis on Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

Juan Luis wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
I know the definition and I know what I stated. Elvis' humor with "the boys" went over your head on the slow Blues number SIMOHT. Elvis almost broke up laughing. So did the rest of the group at the end of the impromptu, ad-libbed and funny (to them as well) performance. IMO, one cannot take it upon oneself what constitutes insults between friends (grown men acting like boys in the playground) or not. And don't tell me now this was bullying. LOL...
Dream on. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

fn2drive wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
I know the definition and I know what I stated. Elvis' humor with "the boys" went over your head on the slow Blues number SIMOHT. Elvis almost broke up laughing. So did the rest of the group at the end of the impromptu, ad-libbed and funny (to them as well) performance. IMO, one cannot take it upon oneself what constitutes insults between friends (grown men acting like boys in the playground) or not. And don't tell me now this was bullying. LOL...
Dream on. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.
The Dream is over.