Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Re: The Colonels Immigrant Status.

Post by brian »

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Bodie wrote:
brian wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:The Colonel was paranoid and a control freak. He bluffed and hide his real identity all his life and he was a very intimidating person, a bully, and a very agressive man. It seems no one confronted him directly, except Elvis in September 3 1973 when he fired him, but only for 2 weeks. Alana Nash described very well the Colonel in her book, the thing he was discharged from US Army with a psychopath diagnosis speak volumes. Jerry Schilling described in his book Colonel's hypnotic powers and his desire to dominate everybody. What else can comment to this ?!?
We don't knew for a fact that he wasn't approached about it. We only know what we know...common sense and curiosity is human nature, someone within the organization knew something. There is also that thing called "gossip" there must've been some of that going on with the organization. Someone knew something and that's a fact.
After hearing Parker wasn't a US citizen during the court proceedings against the estate… people were more surprised that Elvis and his buddies couldn't have figured it out vs. learning Parker wasn't a US citizen.
No, they weren't.

What reason would anyone have to suspect that Colonel Parker wasn't a citizen of the United States.

You didn't know no one did.

Mysterytrain is talking rubbish about that.
I would have thought that the first signs that Parker had an issue with going outside of the US was when Elvis spent 18 months in Germany and Parker never once came over.

Surely someone in the Elvis circle must have thought that was strange.
Indeed. And what was his excuse to the people he worked with at the time like, Diskin, Aberbachs? Aberbachs went over there to see him, as it did Hal Wallis. And you can't say these guys didn't think to themselves "why doesn't the col go over there". So yes, someone inside that organization "knew" about it, they would have asked him and the Col wouldn't had to have said something - these boys weren't stupid.
You talk as if Colonel Parker owed them an explanation or that they would have even ask.

You also talk as if Colonel Parker couldn't come up with a believable reason if someone did ask.

You make it sound like the people that worked for Parker would be grilling him about such things.

Topic author
mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by mysterytrainrideson »

brian wrote:
Bodie wrote:
brian wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:The Colonel was paranoid and a control freak. He bluffed and hide his real identity all his life and he was a very intimidating person, a bully, and a very agressive man. It seems no one confronted him directly, except Elvis in September 3 1973 when he fired him, but only for 2 weeks. Alana Nash described very well the Colonel in her book, the thing he was discharged from US Army with a psychopath diagnosis speak volumes. Jerry Schilling described in his book Colonel's hypnotic powers and his desire to dominate everybody. What else can comment to this ?!?
We don't knew for a fact that he wasn't approached about it. We only know what we know...common sense and curiosity is human nature, someone within the organization knew something. There is also that thing called "gossip" there must've been some of that going on with the organization. Someone knew something and that's a fact.
After hearing Parker wasn't a US citizen during the court proceedings against the estate… people were more surprised that Elvis and his buddies couldn't have figured it out vs. learning Parker wasn't a US citizen.
No, they weren't.

What reason would anyone have to suspect that Colonel Parker wasn't a citizen of the United States.

You didn't know no one did.

Mysterytrain is talking rubbish about that.
I would have thought that the first signs that Parker had an issue with going outside of the US was when Elvis spent 18 months in Germany and Parker never once came over.

Indeed. And what was his excuse to the people he worked with at the time like, Diskin, Aberbachs? Aberbachs went over there to see him, as it did Hal Wallis. And you can't say these guys didn't think to themselves "why doesn't the col go over there". So yes, someone inside that organization "knew" about it, they would have asked him and the Col wouldn't had to have said something - these boys weren't stupid.
You talk as if Colonel Parker owed them an explanation or that they would have even ask.

You also talk as if Colonel Parker couldn't come up with a believable reason if someone did ask.

You make it sound like the people that worked for Parker would be grilling him about such things.
Stop being a little child and use your brain and common sense.

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

DEH

Post by DEH »

As someone said. Even if The Colonel could go to Europe I doubt he would have pushed for a tour over there unless they desperately needed it. They were doing great business in the states. They never went to Canada in the 70's and yet they could have.

EPA4368
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by EPA4368 »

Bodie wrote:

When Wallis was visiting his hometown years after Elvis died, Wallis was being interviewed on one of the radio stations and had kind words about Elvis, thought that someday they would have worked together again but unfortunately, they didn't. When Parker was brought up, Wallis thought it was odd Parker didn't go to Germany when Elvis was in the army and when Wallis began filming on-location scenes for G.I. Blues, but thought something was wrong when Parker didn't want Elvis to go to Mexico when they filmed Fun In Acapulco. Elvis filmed the movie in Hollywood and did not travel to Mexico.

brian

Post by brian »

EPA4368 wrote:
Bodie wrote:

but thought something was wrong when Parker didn't want Elvis to go to Mexico when they filmed Fun In Acapulco. Elvis filmed the movie in Hollywood and did not travel to Mexico.
You didn't need a passport to travel to Mexico back then.

Hal Wallis was the producer on Fun in Acapulco and if he wanted he could have filmed the movie in Mexico.

Whether or not to film the movie in Mexico would have been Hal Wallis' decision not Colonel Parker.

The producer is the boss.

Topic author
mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

brian wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:
Bodie wrote:

but thought something was wrong when Parker didn't want Elvis to go to Mexico when they filmed Fun In Acapulco. Elvis filmed the movie in Hollywood and did not travel to Mexico.

Hal Wallis was the producer on Fun in Acapulco and if he wanted he could have filmed the movie in Mexico.

Whether or not to film the movie in Mexico would have been Hal Wallis' decision not Colonel Parker.

Not sure where your going with all this, Brian.

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

But the Colonel had his power after all, one way or another he stopped Wallis to film in Mexico, I don't know how he did it, but it's a fact.

brian

Post by brian »

brian wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:
Bodie wrote:

Not sure where your going with all this, Brian.
That Hal Wallis if he really said that regarding Fun in Acapulco and Colonel Parker was talking out of his ass.

If Colonel Parker didn't want to go to Mexico it wasn't because he was an illegal immigrant because you didn't need a passport.

Hal Wallis had been a big time movie producer for decades and he knew the decision to film in Mexico or not was his and not anyone else.

I presume he was a worldly man and so Hal Wallis should have also known that you didn't need a passport to go to Mexico.

So Colonel Parker if it was true that he didn't want to travel to Mexico that wouldn't make you suspicious that he was an illegal immigrant.

Because again he didn't need a passport.

DarrylMac
Registered for: 21 years

Post by DarrylMac »

Have I not read somewhere about some of The Colonel's family visiting him, maybe his brother, and The Colonel speaking to them in dutch?

I think there's a difference between his nationality, which I think probably was known, and his immigrant status, which is a different thing all together.

EPA4368

Post by EPA4368 »

jurasic1968 wrote:But the Colonel had his power after all, one way or another he stopped Wallis to film in Mexico, I don't know how he did it, but it's a fact.
+1

Parker wasn't going to take any risk even if Wallis wanted to film outside US.

brian

Post by brian »

EPA4368 wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:But the Colonel had his power after all, one way or another he stopped Wallis to film in Mexico, I don't know how he did it, but it's a fact.
+1

Parker wasn't going to take any risk even if Wallis wanted to film outside US.
Arrrgh!!!!

You didn't need a damn passport to go to Mexico!!!!!

EPA4368

Post by EPA4368 »

Parker's Fan Club Mailing Envelope with passports…

brian

Post by brian »

You say some crazy things man.

You are being silly. LOL.

Back then you didn't need a passport to travel from the United States to Mexico that's a fact.
All Parker and Elvis would do is drive across the border like they did in Canada.

Colonel Parker had booked Eddy Arnold for some concerts in Mexico in the early 1950s and went with him.

So all this nonsense about Colonel Parker not wanting to go to Mexico because he was an illegal alien is untrue and doesn't make sense.

It is also untrue that Colonel Parker would have the power to stop Hal Wallis from filming in Mexico.

If you want to believe otherwise I can't stop you but this thread is getting silly.

You and Mysterytrain are a riot.

Mr. Powers
Account deactivated by request of member. Member now known as "FatherJack1980"
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by Mr. Powers »

DarrylMac wrote:Have I not read somewhere about some of The Colonel's family visiting him, maybe his brother, and The Colonel speaking to them in dutch?
I remember reading that also - albeit though not the part about them speaking in dutch (but that could just be my lack of memory). I rummaged through the books that I thought could possibly contain that info, but couldn't find it but found it on a webpage - "Years later Elvis's friend Lamar Fike asked parker ' how come you never told us you were a Dutchman?' Parker looked at him and said ' Son, you never asked me'."

(http://elvisforver.tripod.com/id26.html)

Topic author
mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

DarrylMac wrote:Have I not read somewhere about some of The Colonel's family visiting him, maybe his brother, and The Colonel speaking to them in dutch?

I think there's a difference between his nationality, which I think probably was known, and his immigrant status, which is a different thing all together.
Cols brother Ad did visit him in 60/61 I think it was. The full story is in Guralnicks "Careless Love".

joshferrell
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by joshferrell »

I think it's common sense that most people aren't going to straight out ask someone if they are an illegal immigrant. Most people just assume that the person is "Legal". Just think about it how many people do YOU work with, have friends with, or hang out at bars with that you would ask them "are you an illegal immigrant?" just out of nowhere. Also any excuse could be made by him (or others) at the time as to why he didn't go to Germany, from "He has a fear of flying" to"Oh he's just busy keeping Elvis in the spotlight while he's in the army" to "He hates to travel" to "He hates Germans" or whatever it may be, so it wouldn't necessarily give most people red flags at the time, especially just coming out of WW2..

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

I thought "Fun In Acapulco" was filmed in Hollywood because it was cheaper.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

joshferrell wrote: "He hates Germans" .
That might have been the reason ...we always played the better soccer..than the Dutch.. :wink:

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

midnightx wrote:Tom Parker's issue with international touring went beyond his inability to get a passport. If he were a U.S. citizen, it is likely that he still would have avoided international touring operations for Elvis.
True, but if he'd somehow seen the light, his close friendship with LBJ could have helped immensely.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

This is the biggest mistery to me, Doc why if he was a close friend of the president of the US, he did nothing to obtain to be a citizen?!? No one seems to clarify this dilemma.

EPA4368

Post by EPA4368 »

Parker didn't want to take the risk. Maybe there was something in his past he didn't want anyone finding out.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

I am speculating right now but I think LBJ could fix this problem for the Colonel (to be a US citizen) in absolute confidentiality.
Last edited by jurasic1968 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

jurasic1968 wrote:This is the biggest mistery to me, Doc why if he was a close friend of the president of the US, he did nothing to obtain to be a citizen?!? No one seems to clarify this dilemma.
The last thing Tom Parker ever wanted to do is taken advantage of a relationship.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

I liked very much your reply, Doc, regarding the Colonel and his altruistic behavior.

Bodie
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Bodie »

brian wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:
Bodie wrote:

All the exterior shots for 'Fun In Acapulco' were filmed in Mexico with all the actors but Parker wouldn't allow Elvis to travel to Mexico cause in 1959 the Mexican tabloids put out a story that Elvis apparently said to a gossip columnist ' I would rather kiss 3 black girls than a Mexican' which caused most of the country to go on a 'Hate Elvis' campaign lasting a number of years.
A screening of 'King Creole' at the Americas Cinema in Mexico City in 1959 turned into a riot.

So its totally understandable that Parker wouldn't have wanted Elvis to travel to Mexico and i doubt Wallis would have had any power over Parker's decision for Elvis to travel there under the circumstances and feelings towards Elvis in the early 60's.