Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
chop983
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Amarillo 77 deleted?

Post by chop983 »

I've just noticed that the FTD Amarillo 77 is listed as deleted on the Elvis shop London, does anyone know the reason for this, it's not that old a release.

SteamrollerBlues
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Re: Amarillo 77 deleted?

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

To be fair, it's not a huge loss to the average FTD buyer. Unless you're a completist, of course.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

It covers a tour that was previously uncovered.. the show featured on amarillo was an ok show, altough low volume. the bonus tracks are the most interesting thou.
Altough i was hoping on the March 23 1977 show (the first show of the tour) which includes a better setlist in that sence)
March 23 1977:

Opening - 2001 Theme
See See Rider
I Got A Woman/Amen
Love Me
My Way
Jailhouse Rock
You Gave Me A Montain
O Sole Mio (by Sherill Nilson)
It's Now Or Never
O Sole Mio (Excerpt by Elvis)
Little Sister
Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel
And I Love You So
How Great Thou Art
Introductions by Elvis
Early Morning Rain
What'd I Say
Johnny B. Goode
Drum Solo by Ronny Tutt
Bass Solo by Jerry Sheff
Piano Solo by Tony Brown
Keyboard Solo by Bobby Odgin
Hail Hail Rock 'n' Roll
Hurt
Hound Dog
Fever
Can't Help Falling In Love / Closing Vamp

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

xmascarrol
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by xmascarrol »

downloaded it , played it, brought the ftd and still not opened. This concert makes Omaha 77 sound good , so deleting it is no loss unless you haven't got it already.

he maybe gone but never forgotten.

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Tony.. »

Very substandard release saved only by the bonus material. If I remember correctly, wasn't the version of 'trying to get to you' wrongly dated or something?

charro1971
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by charro1971 »

Most people aren't exactly going to miss it.

I can understand them deleting this one but I don't understand why Closing Night is being deleted. Surely there must be younger fans who discover the FTD label and when they do they won't be able to get anything official from the August/September 1973 Vegas season. Closing Night was the first FTD I ever bought (in the days when my Elvis knowledge was poor and I had not heard of bootlegs) because I saw it had Trouble in the setlist and the picture of Elvis with the toy monkey fascinated me; it was a side of Elvis that I had not heard of/seen before. Unless perhaps FTD are going to release another soundboard from the August/September 1973 Vegas season in the near future, which would be a good idea and a nice change from the many classic album releases of late.

"A song from my recent TV show, which was pretty bad, but you know... you can't win 'em all!" - Elvis Presley (August 25 1969 DS)
"My favourite guitar player on lead guitar, say hello to James Burton. Young man on rhythm guitar; he's fair to mediocre, John Wilkinson." (February 19 1970 MS)
"My mouth feels like Bob Dylan slept in it." (February 21 1971 MS)
"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, my name is B.B. King" (August 16 1971 MS)
"Ed Sullivan looked at me and said "mmm, son of a b**ch." Nah, he's a nice... old chap." (January 27 1973 DS)
"I'm allowed on stage for 55 minutes to 1 hour. That's what they say. I say about 35 minutes!" (March 22 1975 MS)

SteamrollerBlues

charro1971 wrote:Most people aren't exactly going to miss it.

I can understand them deleting this one but I don't understand why Closing Night is being deleted. Surely there must be younger fans who discover the FTD label and when they do they won't be able to get anything official from the August/September 1973 Vegas season. Closing Night was the first FTD I ever bought (in the days when my Elvis knowledge was poor and I had not heard of bootlegs) because I saw it had Trouble in the setlist and the picture of Elvis with the toy monkey fascinated me; it was a side of Elvis that I had not heard of/seen before. Unless perhaps FTD are going to release another soundboard from the August/September 1973 Vegas season in the near future, which would be a good idea and a nice change from the many classic album releases of late.
There's a lot of FTD's I want, but they'd been deleted long before I knew about bootlegs and FTD's which was only last year! I don't want to download them either, but where else am I going to get them?

Dnorman90

Post by Dnorman90 »

SteamrollerBlues wrote:
charro1971 wrote:Most people aren't exactly going to miss it.

There's a lot of FTD's I want, but they'd been deleted long before I knew about bootlegs and FTD's which was only last year! I don't want to download them either, but where else am I going to get them?
Ebay is the only place i can find them. Back in 2002 When i was first at Graceland, i had no clue of FTD's. I saw "Memphis Sessions" and was interested, I bought it for 24.99. I see they now go for 60.00-100.00 on ebay (Not even sealed). Many others i want now that are deleted, I just download. I would love to buy them but 60-100 bucks for a cd is way too much for me. If they ever re-release the deleted ones i want, i'll buy em, but till then i'll download. I do buy new releases though. I try to support artists i love.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

No doubt they weigh up the rate of sales to determine if ordering another print run is worth the investment.

Is anyone going to really miss another awful 1977 concert?

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

Matthew wrote:No doubt they weigh up the rate of sales to determine if ordering another print run is worth the investment.

Is anyone going to really miss another awful 1977 concert?
You'd be surprised, huh ?

I do ... :oops:

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

elvisistheman
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by elvisistheman »

Dnorman90, while I'm not, personally speaking, a great fan of '76-77 live Elvis, from an "historical/scholarly research" perspective, I do buy and listen to shows from all eras of his career (including the last two years). For that reason, it disappoints me that this FTD has been deleted so quickly. I don't have it and probably would have bought it in the next few months.

I also wanted to buy the December '75 "Dinner at Eight" FTD, but it was deleted before I could do so. I know that these and other deleted FTDs can be found on eBay, but as you mentioned above, sometimes they are a good bit more expensive there.

I also know that Ernst and company can't keep all of the FTDs perpetually in print…. but the deletions are a bummer for fans who are on a budget. Recently, to be honest, I have bought more FTDs than I could really afford to, because I want to get them before they are deleted. I have to be more careful in that area. (Meaning, as much as I love Elvis, I do have to watch my spending on him more carefully!)

Dnorman90

Post by Dnorman90 »

elvisistheman wrote:Dnorman90, while I'm not, personally speaking, a great fan of '76-77 live Elvis, from an "historical/scholarly research" perspective, I do buy and listen to shows from all eras of his career (including the last two years). For that reason, it disappoints me that this FTD has been deleted so quickly. I don't have it and probably would have bought it in the next few months.

I also wanted to buy the December '75 "Dinner at Eight" FTD, but it was deleted before I could do so. I know that these and other deleted FTDs can be found on eBay, but as you mentioned above, sometimes they are a good bit more expensive there.

I also know that Ernst and company can't keep all of the FTDs perpetually in print…. but the deletions are a bummer for fans who are on a budget. Recently, to be honest, I have bought more FTDs than I could really afford to, because I want to get them before they are deleted. I have to be more careful in that area. (Meaning, as much as I love Elvis, I do have to watch my spending on him more carefully!)

I know exactly what you mean, There's many i have on a wish list. Maybe when the label is done they will offer a box set of all the releases. Would cost an arm and a leg but, would be cool. I know that's just a dream though, (you can't even buy a complete box of his movies yet!). I have had luck on discogs.com. I've bought deleted ones for 20.00 sealed. So if you haven't heard of that site, check it out!

elvisistheman

Post by elvisistheman »

Dnorman90 wrote:
elvisistheman wrote:Dnorman90, while I'm not, personally speaking, a great fan of '76-77 live Elvis, from an "historical/scholarly research" perspective, I do buy and listen to shows from all eras of his career (including the last two years). For that reason, it disappoints me that this FTD has been deleted so quickly. I don't have it and probably would have bought it in the next few months.

I know exactly what you mean, There's many i have on a wish list. Maybe when the label is done they will offer a box set of all the releases. Would cost an arm and a leg but, would be cool. I know that's just a dream though, (you can't even buy a complete box of his movies yet!). I have had luck on discogs.com. I've bought deleted ones for 20.00 sealed. So if you haven't heard of that site, check it out!
Wow, I didn't know about that site! Thanks for the tip! ::rocks

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

If Amarillo 77 has been deleted, FTD should purge Tucson 76, America, New Haven 77, Dragonheart, and Dixieland Delight while they are at it.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

minkahed wrote:You'd be surprised, huh ?

Best go order it up then!

SteamrollerBlues

midnightx wrote:If Amarillo 77 has been deleted, FTD should purge Tucson 76, America, New Haven 77, Dragonheart, and Dixieland Delight while they are at it.
I figured those were all deleted already.

Topic author
chop983
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by chop983 »

midnightx wrote:If Amarillo 77 has been deleted, FTD should purge Tucson 76, America, New Haven 77, Dragonheart, and Dixieland Delight while they are at it.
Don't say that to loud, I don't have all of those yet. So basically they print so many if they sell well they print more, if they don't sell well they don't print more, make sense.

I know the deletion of some of the early ones like 'Memphis Sessions' was to remove duplicates when they put all the stuff on the Classic albums but I prefer that session format as I don't want all the classic albums and they were a kind of continuation of the essential series.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

Matthew wrote:
minkahed wrote:You'd be surprised, huh ?

Best go order it up then!
Why ? I own 2 copies already ...sheesh !

Fight The Power !!!

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by When In Rome »

With everyone seemingly telling us physical media is dead, I'm surprised and glad that these FTD (let's face it) 'niche' CD's have been in print for so long, longer than some mainstream Elvis releases perhaps? Now may be the time to fill those gaps friends...

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

darqen

Post by darqen »

Is there anywhere in the UK online to buy FTD CDs apart from Elvis shop London or Amazon?

elvisistheman

Post by elvisistheman »

darqen wrote:Is there anywhere in the UK online to buy FTD CDs apart from Elvis shop London or Amazon?
https://www.nowdigthismagazine.co.uk/store/cds

darqen

Post by darqen »

Thank you

Mr. Powers
Account deactivated by request of member. Member now known as "FatherJack1980"
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by Mr. Powers »

Did I miss the announcement that this particular ftd was going to be deleted???

Was it even announced? Heck, not even The Elvis Shop has it in their "FTD - Deletions / Rarities" section, although they have it in their full list of ftd's listed as deleted :cry:

Man, how I wish that followthatdream.com was a good site with information on it and worthy enough to visit on a regular basis

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Tony.. »

Sounds like another big marketing ploy to me: put the word out that we will be deleting certain titles to shift a few more copies...

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Tony.. wrote:Sounds like another big marketing ploy to me: put the word out that we will be deleting certain titles to shift a few more copies...
Yes, FTD is all about the "big marketing ploy." But they can't fool you!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!