Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvisistheman
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

A delicate question from a relative newbie

Post by elvisistheman »

In my years as an Elvis fan, I have stuck to buying RCA releases, a few Camden albums, and, more recently, FTDs. I've done so, largely, because I truly wanted to support the still-living people who actually performed on those recordings, and the people who work hard today to officially promote Elvis to the broad, general public. I still want to do so.

However, since registering, reading, and, finally, after more than a year, actually commenting, at FECC (which I'm so glad that I did!), I have increasingly noticed the rave reviews and comments that I've read about releases such as "Loose As A Goose" and many others. I have no familiarity at all with this world of "other" Elvis recordings, beyond the obvious fact that many of them helped to provide the very foundation for the existence of the "Follow That Dream" label.

I know little to nothing about how to procure these recordings. I have no "connections." I am curious though! I'm more than curious! I love FTDs, and I support and buy them as I can, but I don't want to miss out on these other recordings anymore! Can anyone help? I know the guidelines here, and I have no wish to violate them in any way. PMs are most welcome. Thank you from a relative newbie!!

DarrylMac
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: A delicate question from a relative newbie

Post by DarrylMac »

Ebay isn't a bad place to start - you can often pick up "Import" releases there. I guess you have an undestanding of what to expect from an audience recording vs a soundboard vs a multi-track etc. I myself have lost a bit of interest in soundboards of late, but each to their own.

Happy hunting!

phurren
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by phurren »

Are you in the UK? There's an Elvis collector's fair in London on Sunday where a lot of this material will be available.

Topic author
elvisistheman

Post by elvisistheman »

Thanks, DarrylMac! Yep, I have enough experience with FTD concerts to know the respective sounds of audience recordings (the "New Year's Eve" '76 show), soundboards, and multi-tracks. I like each of them in different ways.

Topic author
elvisistheman

Post by elvisistheman »

Thanks for the tip, phurren, but I'm in the U.S. (in Maryland, close to Washington, D.C.). Even within my own country and state though, it's not always easy for me to travel very far, as I have a physical disability and am unable to drive. Basically, I have to do most of my music shopping on-line and/or by mail.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

elvisistheman wrote:Thanks for the tip, phurren, but I'm in the U.S. (in Maryland, close to Washington, D.C.). Even within my own country and state though, it's not always easy for me to travel very far, as I have a physical disability and am unable to drive. Basically, I have to do most of my music shopping on-line and/or by mail.
As others have noted, eBay is a good place to find the private releases.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
elvisistheman

Post by elvisistheman »

Thanks, Doc. Whenever I see the notices about these releases online, they almost always say something about "seeing your local dealer." I will check eBay, as I have no idea who my local dealers are, or if any even exist in this area!