'Elvis Today' is next Legacy release

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Juan Luis

Re: 'Elvis Today' is next Legacy release

Post by Juan Luis »

midnightx wrote: This upcoming reissue is a yawn-fest.
Please make sure you don't snore too loud so some of us can enjoy the music on this one! :)

SteamrollerBlues
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

As I don't have the 1980 set or 1998 CD, nor the Elvis Today album, I welcome adding it to the collection, I enjoy most songs off Today anyways.

Austin
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by Austin »

I haven't chimed in much with this one, and I thought I'd put my two cents out there.

I've liked this album since I first heard it several years ago. Having grown up on Country for most of my life, it didn't take much to sell me this one. Some of the songs, like Woman Without Love and Bringin' It Back have that early '90s Neo-Traditional Country sound to it that I am a sucker for.

When I bought this album, I simply downloaded it from iTunes, which I am assuming uses the '90s CD version; either way, the sound on it is pretty good.

I will be buying the new Legacy release. As far as the concert goes, I don't care too much for Elvis live post mid-1973, but mid-1975 was about as good as it got in that time period. I'm sure I will enjoy the concert a lot.

My tongue gets tied when I try to speak, my insides shake like a leaf on a tree. There's only one cure for this body of mine, that's to have that girl that I love so fine!

steve in SC
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by steve in SC »

Here we are half way thru the year in which we were promised a year long celebration of releases. So far in the US we have zero and only a rumor of the Today Legacy release as there is still no official announcement.

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

Matthew wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:Maybe it doesn't matter - but maybe Vic Anesini can get something more out of the original soundboards.
Ernst says
a) It is a worldwide release
b) The 2nd live CD is also remastered by Vic Anesini.
Unless Vic has remade the composite concert from scratch then he won't have done anything with original soundboards, he will have merely remastered the 1980 EAP tape (or 1998 CD of it).
Yep, I agree with you there.
No doubt it will be a cheap & cheerful production :(
Hopefully a little more improvement that the crappy FTD 'Love Me Tender' wasted Disc 2.
Cheers
Piers

Dnorman90

Post by Dnorman90 »

steve in SC wrote:Here we are half way thru the year in which we were promised a year long celebration of releases. So far in the US we have zero and only a rumor of the Today Legacy release as there is still no official announcement.
FTD has been delivering a lot, You can't expect much for general public releases.... I'd rather have nothing than another 30 number 1 hit CD.

Eggrert
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Eggrert »

Dnorman90 wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:No, but I do not understand the significance. I guess it is so one can hear the album undubbed in the same running order.
If I was in charge, I'd put all the legacy releases albums undubbed. Make it more stripped sounding. Forget the original dubs. Albums like "Our Memories of Elvis" are my go to for tracks like that. I know it's not the original, but it would make for some interesting releases. Do the track list undubbed, add the first takes and a 2nd disc of concert highlights from whatever year the album was released and there ya go.
Yes!!! At this point, the undubbed 70s masters would make for a fantastic decade box.

Dnorman90

Post by Dnorman90 »

Eggrert wrote:
Dnorman90 wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:No, but I do not understand the significance. I guess it is so one can hear the album undubbed in the same running order.
If I was in charge, I'd put all the legacy releases albums undubbed. Make it more stripped sounding. Forget the original dubs. Albums like "Our Memories of Elvis" are my go to for tracks like that. I know it's not the original, but it would make for some interesting releases. Do the track list undubbed, add the first takes and a 2nd disc of concert highlights from whatever year the album was released and there ya go.
Yes!!! At this point, the undubbed 70s masters would make for a fantastic decade box.
Oh man, a box set of that would be epic!!

King Volcano

Post by King Volcano »

Dnorman90 wrote:
Eggrert wrote:
Dnorman90 wrote:
Oh man, a box set of that would be epic!!
Yeah, I held off on the Venus releases hoping an official set like that would come. Not sure it will though, is there enough interest now? :(

DayVee Bee
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by DayVee Bee »

Now up for pre-order on Amazon.com at $13-94 (August 7) :smt045

http://www.amazon.com/Today-ELVIS-PRESLEY/dp/B00ZUPPH5S

"I'm too Crazy to be Serious!"

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

I ordered my Japanese cd version last week with a releasing date of July 22 8).

Today my supplier has just informed me that SONY Japan has changed the release date from July 22 to August 05 :cry:. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

vinelvis
Registered for: 10 years

Post by vinelvis »

elvis71 wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
midnightx wrote:Vic is a great engineer, but there is only so much that can be done with the mediocre 1975 soundboard hybrid from EAP. This upcoming reissue is a yawn-fest.
I like it...I am a 1975 fan... :D
Me too ! ::rocks
Me three :wink:

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by sweetangeline »

steve in SC wrote:and only a rumor of the Today Legacy release as there is still no official announcement.
...just because this site has not made the announcement as of yet (http://www.elvisthemusic.com) do you really think this may not come out? :shock: ...C`mon respectfully common sense needs to be used at times :wink:

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Elvis' Golden Records, (FTD) interests me much more than "Today" Legacy from SONY.

ORION
Registered for: 9 years 5 months

Post by ORION »

That's the price I was hoping for - $14.00 pre-order from Amazon. That's cheaper than I could download the Anesini Masters for. I went ahead and pre-ordered it. It says it will be released on August 7 which makes me think the SONY rep at Elvis week will obviously be discussing the "If I Can Dream" album that's due to drop sometime in September.

r&b

Post by r&b »

poormadpeter wrote:
goldbelt wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:I think there may be a difference between Elvis picking the best take for release and "not wanting the public to ever hear them". Alternate takes were made available either by mistake or by design during Elvis' lifetime.
This is a great point, choosing the best take for release does not mean Elvis may not have found merit in other takes too, and does not translate into "not wanting the public to ever hear them".
He's not here to ask, so let's assume that he wouldn't want everyone to hear every cracked note, flubbed line etc.
Or the laughing, or getting angry & cursing and early takes of a song he wasnt yet comfortable with. Those are the takes I was referring to. Im sure he wouldnt want the public to hear those. Yes, there were alternate takes released in his lifetime like Doncha Think Its Time, etc. He probably didnt even know about it. But with all thats come out since he passed away, I dont think he wanted those ever released. He also didnt ever want Dominic released.

Arvis Paisley

Post by Arvis Paisley »

I went ahead and preordered this. I don't have the undubbed masters and the concert is remastered, so why not? If I want the outtakes I can always double dip on the FTD later. Nothing like owning several editions of each album, right?

Arvis Paisley

Post by Arvis Paisley »

Amazons says "1 disc" but surely this is a mistake.

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by sweetangeline »

...one thing you always have to remember with regards to a new listing from amazon...they update as the info comes in...it`s 2 discs and that`s a guarantee!!

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by When In Rome »

Large artwork for large artwork lovers...
Today Legacy Large.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

sweetangeline wrote:
steve in SC wrote:and only a rumor of the Today Legacy release as there is still no official announcement.
...just because this site has not made the announcement as of yet (http://www.elvisthemusic.com) do you really think this may not come out? :shock: ...C`mon respectfully common sense needs to be used at times :wink:
And if Ernst Jorgensen told me ..
a) It is a worldwide release
b) The 2nd live CD is also remastered by Vic Anesini.

I think we can assume it is happening.
I should have also asked him why it isn't officially announced yet!

Cheers,
Piers

dennyelvis
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by dennyelvis »

Also popped up on Amazon UK too

The image is one thing and the human being is another. It’s very hard to live up to an image, put it that way.

trouble_jw
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by trouble_jw »

Still not an EU version to preorder on Amazon UK.

"If you're looking for trouble_jw......you came to the right place"

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

PiersEIN wrote:I should have also asked him why it isn't officially announced yet!
Embarrassment at covering such a mediocre, non-defining album with a Legacy Edition so quieting dropping it on the market?

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Last edited by Juan Luis on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.