'Elvis Today' is next Legacy release

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Eggrert
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Re: 'Elvis Today' is next Legacy release

Post by Eggrert »

poormadpeter wrote:The use of FTD to release the classic albums series has essentially prevented traditional Elvis legacy editions being released at retail. With the classic album releases FTD went from being an outlet for material only of interest to collectors to a replacement for legitimate Elvis product at retail level. A Legacy version of Elvis Country or Elvis is Back or the first album was essentially out of the question because there had already been a legacy edition of those albums - ones which were never available at retail and which was bought by a couple of thousand fans.
There's nothing to stop Sony from reissuing the FTD classic albums at retail level - we know from previous releases (I can't remember off the top of my head which ones, but they were Legacy Editions) that Sony considers FTD-only material to be "previously unreleased," and there's never been any shyness about duplicating Elvis product anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if, in a few years, Sony does a "Legacy Edition 2.0" of EIB that's a straight copy of the FTD (maybe with an unreleased take or two tossed in).

goldbelt
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by goldbelt »

skatterbrane wrote:I think there may be a difference between Elvis picking the best take for release and "not wanting the public to ever hear them". Alternate takes were made available either by mistake or by design during Elvis' lifetime.
This is a great point, choosing the best take for release does not mean Elvis may not have found merit in other takes too, and does not translate into "not wanting the public to ever hear them".

Eggrert
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by Eggrert »

Dnorman90 wrote:I'm thankful for FTD, but there has been too much released, Classic albums should have never been (Sorry). FTD should've kept to the compilations of sessions and live shows.
I admit that I'm split on this issue. The session compilations are by far the most enjoyable FTD releases to my ears (I Sing All Kinds, Memphis Sessions, Out In Hollywood, Studio B, So High...all fantastic, amazing albums). The live albums are something that I usually play once in full and then only revisit to hear my favourites (Trilogy, How Great Thou Art, Mountain, etc.). The Classic Albums are cool to have, but I'd rather just have a "complete sessions" box for each of the respective recording sessions/times (splitting up "first takes" is nice in that we have a pre-sequenced "alternate album" for many of the albums, but then the remaining outtakes are all clumped together, which is detrimental to both listening enjoyment and historical analysis).

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

goldbelt wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:I think there may be a difference between Elvis picking the best take for release and "not wanting the public to ever hear them". Alternate takes were made available either by mistake or by design during Elvis' lifetime.
This is a great point, choosing the best take for release does not mean Elvis may not have found merit in other takes too, and does not translate into "not wanting the public to ever hear them".
He's not here to ask, so let's assume that he wouldn't want everyone to hear every cracked note, flubbed line etc.

Arvis Paisley

Post by Arvis Paisley »

So, with this release will the silver box be obsolete?

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by When In Rome »

poormadpeter wrote:
goldbelt wrote:
He's not here to ask, so let's assume that he wouldn't want everyone to hear every cracked note, flubbed line etc.
If there was a chance he'd get paid for them, without having to enter a studio again and RCA were happy with the quota of albums they could put out utilising these alternate takes, I don't reckon Elvis would've been all that bothered for a long time. Had he lived however and turned himself around, he may very well have took control of his catalogue again, with serious scrutiny and different management. We shall never know...

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Vic is a great engineer, but there is only so much that can be done with the mediocre 1975 soundboard hybrid from EAP. This upcoming reissue is a yawn-fest.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

When In Rome wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
goldbelt wrote:
If there was a chance he'd get paid for them, without having to enter a studio again and RCA were happy with the quota of albums they could put out utilising these alternate takes, I don't reckon Elvis would've been all that bothered for a long time. Had he lived however and turned himself around, he may very well have took control of his catalogue again, with serious scrutiny and different management. We shall never know...
Really? How do you know that? If he was still alive, these recordings would probably not be being released anyway. He was certainly very keen that Dominic should never see the light of day, and yet in the 1990s...

Mike Windgren
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
Hound Dawg wrote:So, with this release will the silver box be obsolete?
No, if you have the cassette version...... :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

midnightx wrote:Vic is a great engineer, but there is only so much that can be done with the mediocre 1975 soundboard hybrid from EAP. This upcoming reissue is a yawn-fest.
I like it...I am a 1975 fan... :D

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by When In Rome »

poormadpeter wrote:
When In Rome wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
goldbelt wrote:
Really? How do you know that? If he was still alive, these recordings would probably not be being released anyway. He was certainly very keen that Dominic should never see the light of day, and yet in the 1990s...
I don't know. None of us do. I was just spitballing, judging by some of Elvis seventies hotchpotch albums, I get the impression he was past caring about his recorded output and how it was eventually assembled toward the end.
But you're right, of course, I know nuthin'!

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

elvis71
Registered for: 10 years 2 months

Post by elvis71 »

Ciscoking wrote:
midnightx wrote:Vic is a great engineer, but there is only so much that can be done with the mediocre 1975 soundboard hybrid from EAP. This upcoming reissue is a yawn-fest.
Me too ! ::rocks

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by sweetangeline »

elvis71 wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
Me too ! ::rocks
...hey boys let`s settle down now...everybody`s entitled to their own opinion...but keep this under the radar...I`m buying it :D

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

:D I love 1975 and now it's confirmed the June 1975 live concert is re-mastered i WILL be buying it after all!~ 8)

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

Am I the only one to notice that the "Original Session Mixes" as listed on the track listing is in the exact same order as released on the FTD "Elvis Today"?

MT

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

No, but I do not understand the significance. I guess it is so one can hear the album undubbed in the same running order.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

YDKM wrote::D I love 1975 and now it's confirmed the June 1975 live concert is re-mastered i WILL be buying it after all!~ 8)
I wouldn't get ahead of yourself. I doubt you're going to notice any real difference compared to the 1998 CD.

Tmorelli01
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Post by Tmorelli01 »

When In Rome wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
When In Rome wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
goldbelt wrote:
I don't know. None of us do. I was just spitballing, judging by some of Elvis seventies hotchpotch albums, I get the impression he was past caring about his recorded output and how it was eventually assembled toward the end.
But you're right, of course, I know nuthin'!
I think that Elvis cared a lot about this record. If we all recall the story of how pissed he was when he heard the final product prior to its release he was very disappointed with the mix and stated that the album did not sound the way it did when he recorded it. Hence the release / significance of the Original Session Mix versions in the first place. He also featured many of the songs (many more than he had from his other studio albums of the prior 10 years) in his live act during the summer of 1975. The fact that he never set foot in a studio again after these sessions was based on a lot of factors but the dissappointment over the sound of the end product and probably the chart placement of the album and related singles were part of his reasons.

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

skatterbrane wrote:No, but I do not understand the significance. I guess it is so one can hear the album undubbed in the same running order.
The undubbed tracks are not in the same order as the original LP. However, they are in the exact same order as on the FTD CD.

MT

ORION
Registered for: 9 years 6 months

Post by ORION »

I agree with you Tmorelli01. I think being out of the studio for 14 months made Elvis care a little bit more about this session. I don't recall too many albums that Elvis promoted as much on stage by doing as many songs from it as he did this one. I hadn't listened to the silver box's 'composite' concert in quite a while, and I must admit that the sound isn't bad at all for a soundboard. I know it's not a multi-track, but it's quite enjoyable albeit for the cringe-worthy moment where he asks a girl her age before kissing her and announces to the crowd that she's only thirteen - but that she's gotta start somewhere. Eeeh Gads - then again Priscilla was only fourteen when... eh, I'd better shut the lid on that can of worms quickly. :facep:
As I've said all along, I don't have the CM set, so I'm looking forward to Vic's work on these. I'm just curious if these are fresh Masters / Mixes or if they are the ones from the CM. Is there a release date for the US ?

Dnorman90

Post by Dnorman90 »

skatterbrane wrote:No, but I do not understand the significance. I guess it is so one can hear the album undubbed in the same running order.
If I was in charge, I'd put all the legacy releases albums undubbed. Make it more stripped sounding. Forget the original dubs. Albums like "Our Memories of Elvis" are my go to for tracks like that. I know it's not the original, but it would make for some interesting releases. Do the track list undubbed, add the first takes and a 2nd disc of concert highlights from whatever year the album was released and there ya go.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Regarding whether Elvis cared or didn't care - nobody knew these stories back in 1975 when the album was released, and this extraneous information can, and does, change people's view of what they are listening to. One only has to look at the recent Stax release. The liner notes told new listeners that they were Elvis taking control of his career again etc etc - so that's what they HEARD, hence the positive reviews. When Raised on Rock was issued on CD in the 1990s, the liner notes told us new listeners then that the album wasn't very good, so that's what WE heard. Now we know stories about Country Bumpkin, and how Elvis viewed recording as just as a hobby, and that's what we hear when we listen to Today.

If one blocks out all the extra info that can cloud our thoughts, what we have is a ten-track country album that holds together well and features some nice singing. Its not earth-shattering, and it's not awful either. We know Elvis recorded just ten songs and no more. But does that matter? Sinatra didn't record extra songs for Only the Lonely, but we're not rapping him for it. It doesn't make it any less of an album - or any more of an album. And the same goes with a lesser work such as this. It's an enjoyable 30 minutes of music - and sometimes that's just fine. Is it worthy of a legacy release? No, of course not. But that's not the fault of what was put down on tape in 1975.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Whenever I listen to Elvis I try to put all that extra info out of my mind. And these days I don't read liner notes.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Matthew wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:Maybe it doesn't matter - but maybe Vic Anesini can get something more out of the original soundboards.
Ernst says
a) It is a worldwide release
b) The 2nd live CD is also remastered by Vic Anesini.
Unless Vic has remade the composite concert from scratch then he won't have done anything with original soundboards, he will have merely remastered the 1980 EAP tape (or 1998 CD of it).
HTF can this even be sold as "remastered"??? They did the same thing with '61 Hawaii concert... what is the deal over there??? I mean, I can "remaster" from a f'ing CD...

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

MysteryTrain wrote:The undubbed tracks are not in the same order as the original LP. However, they are in the exact same order as on the FTD CD.

MT
Which is the order they were recorded.