Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Austin
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Better Aloha (Realistic)

Post by Austin »

With my new FTDs on hand, I've really been rehashing many of the 1971-1973 songs that I haven't listened to much in a while. I've always had a soft spot for this era of music, because (other than the 30 #1 Hits CD) this was my first exposure to Elvis. Aloha, Now, Fool, An Afternoon in the Garden, and the 1999 Burning Love release were the first Elvis CDs I bought in the Spring of 2013 (not all at once, but I know Aloha and Now came first).

It's interesting because, in Elvis' whole career, it was this period of time in which the music was produced the worst; and yet, I thought this music was the greatest thing I'd ever heard. Not that the music itself was produced badly, but their album placement and execution were wrong on so many levels. I didn't realize this at first, though. When listened to Now for the first time, I did sort of notice the differences in Elvis' voice, but I thought it was just because he was using a different singing style for different kinds of songs. I had no idea there was nearly a 3 year span of recordings on one record. I do remember noticing the difference in Elvis' performance when comparing MSG to Aloha. That was like night and day to me.

It got me realizing, since the records were produced like they were, in theory, this could have made for a much better Aloha TV special.

Why, you ask? Well, although the original intent of the special was simply to solve the problem of not being able to tour the world and to give everyone a chance to see Elvis live, they eventually decided to kill two birds with one stone and make a live album with as many new recordings as possible, including many of the songs missed out on when the Standing Room Only project was cancelled. I've previously touched upon this matter in this thread.

Anyway, I know many people think that Elvis should have completely re-invented his live show for the broadcast, but there was no chance in hell of that happening. So, using the intent of avoiding duplicates as much as possible (at least when comparing Aloha to MSG), here is a much better setlist that could have been used for the broadcast:

2001 Theme
See See Rider
I Got a Woman
Until It's Time For You To Go
You Gave Me a Mountain
Steamroller Blues
It's Impossible
Blue Suede Shoes
Little Sister/Get Back
One Night
The Wonder of You
Johnny B. Goode
It's Over
Lawdy Miss Clawdy
Hound Dog
What Now My Love
Fever
My Way
Suspicious Minds
Band Introductions
I'll Remember You
Burning Love
An American Trilogy
A Big Hunk O' Love
Can't Help Falling in Love

In this setlist, several SRO titles are released (Mountain, It's Impossible, Little Sister, Big Hunk, I's Over) as are some candidates for the MSG album that were not included (I'll Remember You, Blue Suede Shoes, Until It's Time); and the only duplicates in this and MSG are Hound Dog, Suspicious Minds, Trilogy, and CHFIL. Some Elvis songs that did not previously get live releases are here (I Got a Woman, One Night, Lawdy Miss Clawdy, Fever), and there are some completely new songs (What Now My Love, My Way, Steamroller).

Without re-inventing the wheel, this is so much better than the original. As for Something, the live master from 8/11/70 should have been included on Love Letters like it was originally intended. Reconsider Baby, in turn, could have replaced It's Impossible on the next album.

Using the average performance times for these songs, this setlist clocks in at 62 minutes, the exact time of the actual broadcast.

This fulfills the intent of the broadcast in both ways, and feels much more like an Elvis show than the original. If only...

My tongue gets tied when I try to speak, my insides shake like a leaf on a tree. There's only one cure for this body of mine, that's to have that girl that I love so fine!

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Re: Better Aloha (Realistic)

Post by jurasic1968 »

Well, the problem is how Elvis sang these songs, in Aloha Hound Dog was far worse than in MSG, Suspicious Minds it's the same case.

Scoobie
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by Scoobie »

Indeed for whatever reason, (and there are some issues contributing here) Elvis performance of Aloha was not nearly as good as at MSG. Aloha was iconic but it's only as I get older do I recognise it, when I was a youngster I thought Aloha was the best thing I had ever heard, but now I can see the deficiencies in it. So to your original point I agree and have had similar thoughts....

Kylan
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Kylan »

It was fine like it was. Thanks tho

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years

Post by LSP-4445 »

I have never enjoyed Aloha shows but I did like them a lot better when I was younger.
My favorite song on the show for many years was Something but that changed when we got the 1970 version.
Today IMO they are the worst multi-track shows by Elvis that we have (except june 77)

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

LSP-4445 wrote:I have never enjoyed Aloha shows but I did like them a lot better when I was younger.
My favorite song on the show for many years was Something but that changed when we got the 1970 version.
Today IMO they are the worst multi-track shows by Elvis that we have (except june 77)
Oh brother. Try to get a grip on reality fella

wecanmakethemorning
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by wecanmakethemorning »

Austin wrote:With my new FTDs on hand, I've really been rehashing many of the 1971-1973 songs that I haven't listened to much in a while. I've always had a soft spot for this era of music, because (other than the 30 #1 Hits CD) this was my first exposure to Elvis. Aloha, Now, Fool, An Afternoon in the Garden, and the 1999 Burning Love release were the first Elvis CDs I bought in the Spring of 2013 (not all at once, but I know Aloha and Now came first).

It's interesting because, in Elvis' whole career, it was this period of time in which the music was produced the worst; and yet, I thought this music was the greatest thing I'd ever heard. Not that the music itself was produced badly, but their album placement and execution were wrong on so many levels. I didn't realize this at first, though. When listened to Now for the first time, I did sort of notice the differences in Elvis' voice, but I thought it was just because he was using a different singing style for different kinds of songs. I had no idea there was nearly a 3 year span of recordings on one record. I do remember noticing the difference in Elvis' performance when comparing MSG to Aloha. That was like night and day to me.

It got me realizing, since the records were produced like they were, in theory, this could have made for a much better Aloha TV special.

Why, you ask? Well, although the original intent of the special was simply to solve the problem of not being able to tour the world and to give everyone a chance to see Elvis live, they eventually decided to kill two birds with one stone and make a live album with as many new recordings as possible, including many of the songs missed out on when the Standing Room Only project was cancelled. I've previously touched upon this matter in this thread.

Anyway, I know many people think that Elvis should have completely re-invented his live show for the broadcast, but there was no chance in hell of that happening. So, using the intent of avoiding duplicates as much as possible (at least when comparing Aloha to MSG), here is a much better setlist that could have been used for the broadcast:

2001 Theme
See See Rider
I Got a Woman
You Gave Me a Mountain
Steamroller Blues
It's Impossible
Blue Suede Shoes
Little Sister/Get Back
One Night
The Wonder of You
Johnny B. Goode
It's Over
Lawdy Miss Clawdy
Hound Dog
What Now My Love
Fever
My Way
Suspicious Minds
Band Introductions
I'll Remember You
Burning Love
An American Trilogy
A Big Hunk O' Love

In this setlist, several SRO titles are released (Mountain, It's Impossible, Little Sister, Big Hunk, I's Over) as are some candidates for the MSG album that were not included (I'll Remember You, Blue Suede Shoes, Until It's Time); and the only duplicates in this and MSG are Hound Dog, Suspicious Minds, Trilogy, and CHFIL. Some Elvis songs that did not previously get live releases are here (I Got a Woman, One Night, Lawdy Miss Clawdy, Fever), and there are some completely new songs (What Now My Love, My Way, Steamroller).

Without re-inventing the wheel, this is so much better than the original. As for Something, the live master from 8/11/70 should have been included on Love Letters like it was originally intended. Reconsider Baby, in turn, could have replaced It's Impossible on the next album.

Using the average performance times for these songs, this setlist clocks in at 62 minutes, the exact time of the actual broadcast.

This fulfills the intent of the broadcast in both ways, and feels much more like an Elvis show than the original. If only...
I would also add:

The Impossible Dream
I'm Leavin'

and take out:

The Wonder of You

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years

Post by LSP-4445 »

Kylan wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:I have never enjoyed Aloha shows but I did like them a lot better when I was younger.
Oh brother. Try to get a grip on reality fella
Agree,please do.....and let me know when you have.

(BTW...we dont have that many complete multi-track shows so most likely other fans like the 69,70,72 and the 74 show
better than the 2 from january 73 as well)

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by promiseland »

Kylan wrote:It was fine like it was. Thanks tho
Yes! Why waste all that typing that the OP did opening this topic?,, well for really nothing. :smt024

Squire Smart
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by Squire Smart »

Hahah, I see 'Welcome to My World' has got the chop! :D

Squire Smart

charro1971
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by charro1971 »

I think the Aloha should have looked something like this:

2001 Theme
See See Rider
Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin'
Something
Where Do I Go From Here (or Always On My Mind)
You Gave Me a Mountain
Steamroller Blues
It's Impossible
Johnny B Goode
It's Over
Blue Suede Shoes
Heartbreak Hotel
One Night
Little Sister/Get Back
Hound Dog (slow bluesy Feb '73 style version instead of fast Aloha throwaway version)
Fever
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
Lawdy Miss Clawdy
My Way
Suspicious Minds
Band Introductions
I'll Remember You
Burning Love
An American Trilogy
A Big Hunk O' Love

"A song from my recent TV show, which was pretty bad, but you know... you can't win 'em all!" - Elvis Presley (August 25 1969 DS)
"My favourite guitar player on lead guitar, say hello to James Burton. Young man on rhythm guitar; he's fair to mediocre, John Wilkinson." (February 19 1970 MS)
"My mouth feels like Bob Dylan slept in it." (February 21 1971 MS)
"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, my name is B.B. King" (August 16 1971 MS)
"Ed Sullivan looked at me and said "mmm, son of a b**ch." Nah, he's a nice... old chap." (January 27 1973 DS)
"I'm allowed on stage for 55 minutes to 1 hour. That's what they say. I say about 35 minutes!" (March 22 1975 MS)

Eggrert
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by Eggrert »

jurasic1968 wrote:Well, the problem is how Elvis sang these songs, in Aloha Hound Dog was far worse than in MSG, Suspicious Minds it's the same case.
+1

I actually think that Aloha would have been better with more ballads, as that's when the show manages to pick up something approximating the sort of energy you want out of an EP performance. The rockers and uptempo numbers are just tossed away in an embarrassing manner.

In addition, the staging of the Aloha show pretty much sucks. It's just a faceless stage with some cheesy Vegas lights, and the audience is so lifeless they might as well have been green-screened in. I've said it elsewhere on this site, but I don't see the point in having a live broadcast from Hawaii when you never get the sense that it's either in Hawaii or in front of an interested audience. Maybe if the whole thing had just been prerecorded it would have been better, along the lines of the "bonus" songs that easily best at least 75% of the show proper.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

wecanmakethemorning wrote:It's Over

I would also add:

The Impossible Dream
I'm Leavin'

and take out:

The Wonder of You
The Impossible Dream had already been featured on the MSG lp. Austin's idea was to use songs from the live show that, with a few exceptions (Hound Dog; Suspicious Minds; Trilogy; Can't Help Falling In Love), hadn't been on any previous live albums.

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Tony.. »

Elvis should definitely have use more of his own stuff. I would substitute "I'm leaving" for "My way" and "separate ways' for "Something". Those 2 were just a drag.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

The show is kind of a drag, mixing the songs up would not change Elvis' lack of engagement. The show is sluggish, a far cry from the explosions of energy movie goers would have seen only a couple/a few short months earlier in Elvis On Tour.

The best way to enjoy it is the 2004 deluxe DVD. On record it never really takes off.

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by stevelecher »

I.....I... can't...

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Austin wrote:Anyway, I know many people think that Elvis should have completely re-invented his live show for the broadcast ...
I've never read of fans wishing Presley had "completely re-invented his live show" for the 1973 TV special. Where does this come from?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

DEH
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by DEH »

A lot of this is Hindsight thinking again. I know I keep bringing that up but its true. I know people who were around back then and the complaints were not the same as they are now. People don't think the same way. They said Elvis fans loved the Aloha special. My friend still has the pictures they took off the tv screen when it aired.lol No one was analyzing setlists and what should have been in and what should have been taken out. Even some of the people here have said "I loved it then but now I look at it and......

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

DEH wrote:A lot of this is Hindsight thinking again. I know I keep bringing that up but its true. I know people who were around back then and the complaints were not the same as they are now.
My mother was around then, watched it live.

She knew something was wrong.

DEH
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by DEH »

Matthew wrote:
DEH wrote:A lot of this is Hindsight thinking again. I know I keep bringing that up but its true. I know people who were around back then and the complaints were not the same as they are now.
My mother was around then, watched it live.

She knew something was wrong.
she was in the minority. How did she watch it live?

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

To each his own... to me, Aloha was one of Elvis' last great performances... I realize not all the songs were good and he didn't move like he did in 1969 and 70, but there were some fine performances that were memorable to me. I still listen to this show often and watch it on occasion. He looked fantastic and songs like My Way, What Now My Love, I'll Remember You, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry and American Trilogy stand out for me as some of his finest 70's performances.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

My Way it's far away from his best in Aloha.

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by jeanno »

As a teenage, I thought the Aloha show was true art.
Of course I've changed my mind and I have a different view about it. Last time I watched it full was 11 years ago, when I bought the deluxe edition.

I rarely revisit the concert although the versión of STEARMROLLER BLUES remains a favorite of mine. Those 3 minutes are pure magic to me.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

DEH wrote:How did she watch it live?
Via satellite to the Land of the Long White Cloud!

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

elvis-fan wrote:He looked fantastic
Apart from the eyes, which give away a lot.