Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Channeling Elvis
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Elvis at 80

Post by Channeling Elvis »

To mark the King's 80th, I went back to the very beginning in my blog today. Hope you like it.

http://allenwienerblog.blogspot.com/2015/01/elvis-at-80.html

"You see? There's not enough kindness in the world." -- Sydney Greenstreet (Mask of Dimitrios)

tcb4
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Re: Elvis at 80

Post by tcb4 »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELVIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Channeling Elvis wrote:To mark the King's 80th, I went back to the very beginning in my blog today. Hope you like it.

http://allenwienerblog.blogspot.com/2015/01/elvis-at-80.html
Sorry I missed this before. I greatly enjoyed reading your essay to commemorate Elvis' 80th birthday (boy, would he have hated turning eighty).

Your look back at July 5, 1954 is lovely, but there are some things you may like to know about that seminal visit.

When Elvis, Scotty Moore and Bill Black gathered at 706 Union on Monday evening, it was considered strictly a rehearsal to hear what they sounded like on tape, as Sun Studios owner and producer Sam Phillips told Moore the evening before. The guitarist had met and rehearsed with the singer that Sunday afternoon in his Memphis living room. There was no plan to cut a single release. Although Scotty and Bill were part of a local country band called the Starlight Wranglers, Sam did not want anything but their basic rhythm accompaniment.

Only after "That's All Right" was captured on tape did Sam realize he had the makings of something interesting, something different and fresh. So a day or two later they regrouped to find a flip side to record, this time with a single release definitely in mind.

Further, only in the past year have I become aware that Elvis' "spontaneous" performance of Arthur Crudup's R&B song may well have been completely calculated, crafted by the singer for maximum impact from at least three known Crudup recordings. The implications are enormous for anyone who cares about Elvis and his Sun Records period, and basically make a deep fan reconsider how it all began, so long ago.

It was carefully and credibly detailed in this FECC post by esteemed member George Smith:

The Crudup Connection: 5 July 1954 Revisited
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72871

Please take a look. Perhaps someday George will formally publish this fantastic, original research for the education and edification of Presley fans worldwide.

Thanks again.

540719_Sun 209.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Post by rjm »

Indeed. I hope that whatever he might be doing includes his groundbreaking and myth-destroying (I am out of synonyms!) work on "That's All Right (Mama)." If not, a "Kindle Single" might be of interest. But still, I think, it needs an even larger audience than that can provide.

Whatever he ends up doing, I know it will be an epochal work. (Better buy some fine suits; you'll be on TV. Dave Letterman, or Stephen Colbert - when he takes the helm, will want you on. Jon Stewart will want you on. CONAN will HAVE you on! Etc. This is NEW history, based on evidence that few, if any, people ever bothered to look at and look for, much less synthesize into a coherent and startling account of something we only thought we knew all about.)

I only wish I had that kind of talent.

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

rjm wrote:Indeed. I hope that whatever he might be doing includes his groundbreaking and myth-destroying (I am out of synonyms!) work on "That's All Right (Mama)." If not, a "Kindle Single" might be of interest. But still, I think, it needs an even larger audience than that can provide.

Whatever he ends up doing, I know it will be an epochal work. (Better buy some fine suits; you'll be on TV. Dave Letterman, or Stephen Colbert - when he takes the helm, will want you on. Jon Stewart will want you on. CONAN will HAVE you on! Etc. This is NEW history, based on evidence that few, if any, people ever bothered to look at and look for, much less synthesize into a coherent and startling account of something we only thought we knew all about.)

I only wish I had that kind of talent.

rjm
Me too!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!