Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Pontiac Silverdome - Detroit

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:24 am

Johnny2523 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:19 am wrote:
vbgt on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:15 am wrote:I attended that show. I can tell you that being there live, we didn't feel it was a lukewarm show. I have the soundboard for that show

You have what? and why didn't u offer this to FTD yet?

That is what I'm wondering, vbgt why didn't you? But how do we know you have a SB recording of the Pontiac show.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:24 am

It's official, the Pontiac Silverdome is no more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2vnlN1xjRk

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:12 pm

vbgt on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:15 am wrote:I attended that show. I can tell you that being there live, we didn't feel it was a lukewarm show. I have the soundboard for that show, I'll have to pull it out and give it another listen.
As for the Silverdome itself, it's just a case with most older stadiums. the money's made with suites and boxes nowadays and the Dome didn't have enough of them in good parts of the stadium.
I saw Big and Rich there a few years ago when somebody tried to reopen it. That didn't go well.

Hmm, interesting as all we know is there is no soundboard.
It was taped but recorded over by another non Elvis gig.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:31 pm

I didn't know this was somehow interesting? Maybe I mis spoke when I said "soundboard" ? Perhaps it's an audience recording? I haven't played it in years so I don't remember, but I definitely have the show recorded in some form.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:29 pm

vbgt on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:31 pm wrote:I didn't know this was somehow interesting? Maybe I mis spoke when I said "soundboard" ? Perhaps it's an audience recording? I haven't played it in years so I don't remember, but I definitely have the show recorded in some form.
It's something very interesting. :wink: In which format do you have the concert, is it a cassette or a reel? And how is the sound?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:29 pm

The acoustics of the Silverdome were always horrid - I suspect any audience recording is going to be a tough listen.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:54 am

...does anyone have an idea what a couple tickets stubs would sell for in today's market from Elvis` appearance on NYE??

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:28 am

OnTourCam on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:21 pm wrote:Interesting DEH

My aunt said the stage was about 2 stories high. there was no interaction with the women in the crowd on that night. she said it was funny seeing Elvis drop a scarf that far down. some men put their girlfriends on their shoulders so they could climb up to Elvis. it didn't work of course. and she remembers a security issue with a man in the audience and watching police and security deal with him. they were all over him and he was taken out of there. there were no big screens to see Elvis on. the stage setup was the weirdest they have ever seen. they enjoyed it though. hearing Elvis belt out "How Great Thou Art" was worth the price of admission they said.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:33 pm

joekro1977 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:29 pm wrote:The acoustics of the Silverdome were always horrid - I suspect any audience recording is going to be a tough listen.

Not really, the straight arrow release is in fact a great quality audience recording with a good balance between Elvis and a very responsive crowd.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:26 pm

Tang Lungs side kick on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:56 pm wrote:WWE prolly lied about attendence record for WM III : 93k :smt002

Massively so - I think they had about 76,000 in there day. Their biggest was actually Summerslam 92 at Wembley with around 80,000 until it was beaten this year I think with Wrestlemania.
Wrestling promoters over exaggerating? whatever next lol. I reckon the Colonel would've got on well in that industry!

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:38 pm

OnTourCam on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:39 am wrote:What about When Elvis played there in 75 was there any in house video screens or filming done to any of the corporate boxes ?

I'm still confused why they built such a stupid stage for the Elvis show ?

I'm not sure about screens. When the WWE held Wrestlemania 3 there in 1987 they had the huge problem of installing video screens to a roof that high up, which was even a solid structure as such (I believe it was held up with a unique air pressure system).
The other problem they had was the event was due to start in the afternoon and so the screens wouldn't be visible in the March sunlight until later in the show when it got dark.
They had a big meeting about what could be done, with ideas from painting the roof to having tarpaulins put over it - all were counted out. Someone said the only way the screens could be seen would be if it was dark overcast day with rain that day. Vince McMahon owner of the WWE (and a man with a short attention span) keen to bring the meeting to a close stood up, slammed his hand on the desk and said "That's it - it'll rain that day" - always makes me laugh as you can imagine the Colonel being just the same!

*By some strange luck it was actually an overcast, rainy day and the screens worked perfectly!

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:18 pm

Silverdome RIP

Georgia Dome RIP

Both hosted WrestleMania , I went to the latter arena in '11.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:10 am

My aunt still has the ticket. it cost 15 bucks. doors were set to open at 7 pm. the show was set to start at 8:30 pm. the photo of Elvis on the ticket was from 1972.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:52 am

Burroughz on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:29 am wrote:
vbgt on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:31 pm wrote:I didn't know this was somehow interesting? Maybe I mis spoke when I said "soundboard" ? Perhaps it's an audience recording? I haven't played it in years so I don't remember, but I definitely have the show recorded in some form.
It's something very interesting. :wink: In which format do you have the concert, is it a cassette or a reel? And how is the sound?

I have it on CD but I believe I originally got it from the old Napster sharing service.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:20 am

Robert on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:33 am wrote:
joekro1977 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:29 pm wrote:The acoustics of the Silverdome were always horrid - I suspect any audience recording is going to be a tough listen.

Not really, the straight arrow release is in fact a great quality audience recording with a good balance between Elvis and a very responsive crowd.

That may be but I never attended a concert there with good sound. Saw the Jacksons in 1984 from the bleachers and couldn't make out much of the music. I also was at Wrestlemania 3 and a couple other shows. Never had good audio from my seats.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:18 am

It makes me mad the colonel didn't give the green light to film the show or record it with good sound this could of been a nice special for Elvis to get his sh*t together and in 1975 it was not a bad year there was times he looked very sharp and healthy.

put it this way a new years eve TV special would of made better television than the CBS special.