Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

Re: Your favorite American Sound Studios track

Post by mysterytrainrideson »

drjohncarpenter wrote:"Kentucky Rain" is one of the best songs from the session, and sounds remarkable on the radio even today. It's illuminating to hear the session tapes, and note producer Chips Moman working the rhythm section through various takes, trying to find the "edge" the song needs to really be good. They found it, and so did Elvis. His vocal is astounding.
Can't deny Elvis and the boys put everything into the song. My above comment is the best i can explain to what i hear - it's just that chorus, the structure of it just doesn't fit.

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:Not counting the hit A sided singles, (Suspicious Minds, In The Ghetto, Don't Cry Daddy , and Kentucky Rain), what is your favorite track from the 1969 Chips Moman sessions? It can be a B side. Also state a reason why you liked it best. Thanks.

My choice I think is Power Of My Love - just love everything about it. Lyrics, the performance of Elvis & the band, plus I thought it was commercial enough to be an A side.
So many worthy candidates, so little time.

Today I choose "You'll Think of Me." It was first issued as the B-side to "Suspicious Minds," then appeared on the studio half of 1969's From Memphis To Vegas/From Vegas To Memphis. It has everything that made these sessions so remarkable: superb, contemporary material, stunning lead vocal from Elvis, excellent female backing vocals, tremendous rhythm section, especially Tommy Cogbill's bass and Reggie Young on electric sitar, and a fantastic arrangement.

Plus, it was Mort Shuman's final songwriting contribution to the Presley canon.
More love for this incomparable Mort Schuman song, right now:

690826_RCA Victor 47-9764.JPG
Elvis Presley "You'll Think of Me" (RCA Victor 47-9764, August 26, 1969)
1969 B-side to "Suspicious Minds" ... note plug for "Tiger Man," which NBC-TV aired in their August 17th repeat of the 1968 Special.

Few singles after this one would offer such quality on both sides. What a time to be an Elvis Presley fan!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Long Black Limousine for me - without a doubt the most remarkable recording from these sessions. Most remarkable because it's the best? That's open for debate. But most remarkable in that it shows Elvis from the very first song recorded taking his craft totally seriously and reaching his full potential for the first time in a very long while. If that first recording hadn't have been as wonderful as it was, the likelihood is that the rest of the session wouldn't have been a stunning as it turned out. Without Long Black Limousine, and the confidence Elvis no doubt gained from that performance, the rest simply might not have happened in the same way.

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

It is amazing and a true testimony to Elvis and all involved with those Memphis recordings. They sound just as good and fresh today as they did then. They are truly timeless classics.

rlj

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Long black Limousine

sent from Lincolnshire,UK,by carrier pigeon

-instagram kenh1964

a mess of polk salad
Location: I've been a millionaire since I was 21, it's just a hobby to me...

Post by a mess of polk salad »

drjohncarpenter wrote:"Kentucky Rain" is one of the best songs from the session, and sounds remarkable on the radio even today. It's illuminating to hear the session tapes, and note producer Chips Moman working the rhythm section through various takes, trying to find the "edge" the song needs to really be good. They found it, and so did Elvis. His vocal is astounding.
A stunning opening track on the American Sound Sessions FTD > just a fabulous song and no wonder it was a huge hit.

The moment we're living is now, now now now now now ...

a mess of polk salad

rlj4ep wrote:It is amazing and a true testimony to Elvis and all involved with those Memphis recordings. They sound just as good and fresh today as they did then. They are truly timeless classics.

rlj
Image1

The songs are so solid!

The FTD treatment of the sessions is outstanding!

jeanno

Post by jeanno »

Lennart wrote:The undubbed "Stranger in my own hometown" is a killer, one of my absolute favorite tracks.
Agree 100%, Lennart. Before Elvis starts singing, you're already dancing around!

rjm

Post by rjm »

An impossible question!

Off the bat, it has to be Long Black Limo. But "Stranger In My Own Hometown" is the most unusual blues he ever recorded, and one of the very finest and certainly most meaningful. I wish so that it could have made the first album. (I might have replaced "I'm Movin' On." But Stranger is a long cut, and it probably couldn't fit on an LP with the other songs. That is a limitation with LPs. Can't have too many long songs because of the physical limitation of the sound quality.)

But then there's "I'll Hold You In My Heart" (the other real long one, and irreplaceable), and "Gentle On My Mind" and . . .

Impossible!

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Stranger in My Own Hometown.

debtd1

Post by debtd1 »

I just can't single any one song out….they're my favourite sessions by a long mile.

"No-one, but no-one, is his equal, or ever will be. He was, and is supreme". Mick Jagger

a mess of polk salad

poormadpeter wrote:Long Black Limousine for me - without a doubt the most remarkable recording from these sessions. Most remarkable because it's the best? That's open for debate. But most remarkable in that it shows Elvis from the very first song recorded taking his craft totally seriously and reaching his full potential for the first time in a very long while. If that first recording hadn't have been as wonderful as it was, the likelihood is that the rest of the session wouldn't have been a stunning as it turned out. Without Long Black Limousine, and the confidence Elvis no doubt gained from that performance, the rest simply might not have happened in the same way.
'Long Black Limousine' is indeed a remarkable performance on all levels. For me, one of my all-time favs! Chips & the Memphis boys play their part on the sessions with obvious relish and 100% authentic musical smarts.

Topic author
madg1974

Post by madg1974 »

It is so hard to pick one diamond amongst so many. Is there one that sparkles just a bit more than the others?...I just do not know and, quite frankly, it is impossible to choose just the one.
I am going to cheat and choose the best one following the FTD releases:
FEIM: True love travels on a gravel road (but arrggg.. I just love Gentle on my mind and Power of my love and Long black limousine..and.....aarrggg)
BIM: Stranger in my own hometown (first and foremost) but You'll think of me is just so great too!
ASS: Kentucky Rain! But I have always felt that I'll be there would have been a solid hit, it's got that pop vibe that would have played well on the radio.

Well, I can only repeat what I've exclaimed before....aaarrggg....

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

After reading a lot of the responses, many different choices which makes those sessions so special. It's almost impossible to pick, but I would say Any Day Now. Just a great, great vocal, especially the part below, which his voice goes a bit higher. Just incredible. Great thread r&b!! ::rocks

I know I shouldn't want to keep you

If you don't want to stay
Until you're gone forever
I'll keep holding on for dear life

Holding you this way
Begging you to stay

Chris Roberts

Post by Chris Roberts »

'Stranger In My Own Home Town' closely behind are 'I'm Movin' On', 'I'll Hold You In My Heart', 'Power Of My Love', 'After Loving You' and 'Gentle On My Mind' my favourite of all versions of this song.

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

We're so fortunate to have had a lot of material from the Memphis sessions made available to us over the years, on boots like American Crown Jewels, Finding The Way Home and the American Way Series and, officially, culminating recently with three stunning FTD releases.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Topic author
madg1974

Post by madg1974 »

By the way, one I do not see mentioned so probably not everyone's favourite though still well-liked I assume, is Without Love. The soul he pours into that one....phew!

Good Time Charlie

Post by Good Time Charlie »

At the moment it is "It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin".

Elvis takes this C&W tune and makes it his own with a few lyric changes and a stunning vocal.

"You go to school, I'm going out to make a buck"

bajo

Post by bajo »

Mission impossible! There are the singles In The Ghetto, Suspicious Minds, Kentucky Rain and even Don't Cry Daddy with their B sides. I do not have ONE favourite from these sessions, I have too many! :)

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

debtd1

Post by debtd1 »

londonflash wrote:We're so fortunate to have had a lot of material from the Memphis sessions made available to us over the years, on boots like American Crown Jewels, Finding The Way Home and the American Way Series and, officially, culminating recently with three stunning FTD releases.
Aren't we just?…….. :lol: :lol:

"No-one, but no-one, is his equal, or ever will be. He was, and is supreme". Mick Jagger

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Joe Car wrote:After reading a lot of the responses, many different choices which makes those sessions so special. It's almost impossible to pick, but I would say Any Day Now. Just a great, great vocal, especially the part below, which his voice goes a bit higher. Just incredible. Great thread r&b!! ::rocks

I know I shouldn't want to keep you

If you don't want to stay
Until you're gone forever
I'll keep holding on for dear life

Holding you this way
Begging you to stay
Beyond the mastery heard in the A-sides issued from the session, "Any Day Now" is absolutely brilliant, an A+ recording by any and every measure. Chuck Jackson's 1962 single was beautiful, nay, gorgeous, but this is a late-period example of Presley making a tremendous song all his own.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

memphisound
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.

Post by memphisound »

At this moment I will take Any Day Now, their are too many gems from these recordings. IMO, the BEST sessions Elvis had. The hunger, the drive, the passion WAS ALL THERE.

PREVIOUSLY BANNED MEMBER "BRADM".

Marc Haegeman

Post by Marc Haegeman »

Stranger In My Own home Town.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

memphisound wrote:At this moment I will take Any Day Now, their are too many gems from these recordings. IMO, the BEST sessions Elvis had. The hunger, the drive, the passion WAS ALL THERE.

Yes, you hear that on every track, even on the lesser material, Why wasn't that the case on all his recording sessions. The output would have been so much more improved. The difference between these sessions and ones just 2 years later is amazing. The hunger, passion & drive were all but gone. I really never heard a drop like that for any other performer at such a young age in such a short period of time.

When In Rome

Post by When In Rome »

'Any Day Now', I played the 45 rpm of that one to DEATH... Whilst I love the stereo master I was so glad when the mono version turned up on the 'recent-ish' Legacy edition...

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...