Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

The Pirate

Re: Elvis at the O2

Post by The Pirate »

Bodie wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:Such good value for money at just over £20 a ticket including VAT.
I think it says a lot about how brainwashed we Elvis fans have become in recent years, that anyone could hand over twenty quid to "go and have a look at some stuff" and then describe it as being good value for money.
Sounds to me like your one of those blokes who is last at the bar to get a round of drinks in.
Not at all, but if you think that's in any way related to knowing what is and what isn't value for money then I doubt there's any way I can convince you otherwise.

Bodie
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Bodie »

The Pirate wrote:
Bodie wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:Such good value for money at just over £20 a ticket including VAT.
I think it says a lot about how brainwashed we Elvis fans have become in recent years, that anyone could hand over twenty quid to "go and have a look at some stuff" and then describe it as being good value for money.
Sounds to me like your one of those blokes who is last at the bar to get a round of drinks in.
Not at all, but if you think that's in any way related to knowing what is and what isn't value for money then I doubt there's any way I can convince you otherwise.
Well you obviously don't go out that much then.

The year is 2014 not 1984 and £20 ain't that much money for what the Exhibition is.

elvis56
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by elvis56 »

The Pirate wrote:
elvis56 wrote:Just got back form the O2 & would have to say this may be the best thing that EPE have done short of opening up Graceland itself. it's a kind of timeline & themed room set up & oozes quality. this is not a cheap no thought thrown together exhibit. even the Pirate might like it
I'm not saying I wouldn't like it. I'm saying that it's a pity we have reached the stage where £20 - "to look at some stuff", which is the best way I can put it - is seen as a bargain. The same way that I think it's shocking that so many people hand over a hundred and fifty quid for some books about recording sessions.

"Well, well, well, it seems that Elvis recorded a song called Hound Dog... I was not aware of that. Thank goodness I have this three volume set to tell me these things. Calm down children, Xmas dinner will be a little less extravagant than last year, daddy had more important things to do with his money. What's that you say Britney, you haven't seen the cat for a while? Yum yum, what's that smell coming from the kitchen... No Justin, that's not a flea collar round the turkey's neck, it's the string the butcher put on to hold the legs together. Tuck in kids, your father has to go and read about unreleased overdubs for Yoga Is As Yoga Does."
i don't totally disagree with what u say tbf. in fact i don't disagree with any of it. shamefully its now common practice & accepted for these £60 a throw books & some dealers even adding more onto that price just as standard on release & people not shoppin' around :facep: makes no sense that people just keep shelling out extra & i have to say when 1st announced i was surely a tenner is all this is worth or should be. BUT the price twice that :( & when u go see this, i've gotta admit its plain to see a lot or time & money was put into this. it really is like nothing i've seen before Elvis wise & its more impressive than the Memphis Graceland themed exhibits due to having so much space to work in - it really is something man, it really is - it's gonna surprise u that EPE have finally got it right ::rocks

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

Bodie wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Bodie wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

The year is 2014 not 1984 and £20 ain't that much money for what the Exhibition is.
Then we'll have to agree to disagree. I get out plenty, thanks, and I can go and see a live band for ten quid. A live band, a support act, two hours of top class music for half of what the exhibition costs. If a band can come from America, transport themselves and their gear, play to a few hundred people and make a profit, how come it costs £20 a ticket fora bunch of clothes and old documents that will be seen by tens of thousands?

elvis65
Registered for: 20 years 3 months

Post by elvis65 »

hello can anyone help me in obtaining the 2 cd set and brochure that you can buy when you go to the exhibit i would pay
for 2 copies of each please if you can help would be great
thanks

JRtherealJR
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by JRtherealJR »

The Pirate wrote: how come it costs £20 a ticket fora bunch of clothes and old documents that will be seen by tens of thousands?
Sounds to me like you are not much of an Elvis fan.

Ad hominem fallacy (or ad hominem) is an attempt to discredit someone’s argument by personally attacking them. Instead of discussing the argument itself, criticism is directed toward the opponent’s character, which is irrelevant to the discussion.
https://www.scribbr.co.uk/fallacy/ad-hominem/

Ad hominem (Latin for 'to the person'), refers to several types of arguments, most of which are fallacious. Typically this term refers to a rhetorical strategy where the speaker attacks the character, motive, or some other attribute of the person making an argument rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself. This avoids genuine debate by creating a personal attack as a diversion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Joe Car
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Joe Car »

The Pirate wrote:
Bodie wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Bodie wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

Then we'll have to agree to disagree. I get out plenty, thanks, and I can go and see a live band for ten quid. A live band, a support act, two hours of top class music for half of what the exhibition costs. If a band can come from America, transport themselves and their gear, play to a few hundred people and make a profit, how come it costs £20 a ticket fora bunch of clothes and old documents that will be seen by tens of thousands?
The fact that you diminish the sentimental value to us fans as far as the items on display with your comments goes, makes debating you a waste of time. Not sure what 20 quid is, but I wish, wish this would come to Canada. I would pay to see it, that's for sure.

whatsupdoc
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by whatsupdoc »

I don't get it: As the photographs show all the Elvis items are handled with extreme care at the O2 exhibition ( roped off car displays, white gloves) and at the same time The Elvis Estate wants his planes gone from Graceland and allows it to happen that they are being offered for sale on Ebay.

LeeJayVega

Post by LeeJayVega »

elvis65 wrote:hello can anyone help me in obtaining the 2 cd set and brochure that you can buy when you go to the exhibit i would pay
for 2 copies of each please if you can help would be great
thanks
All the souvenirs are available by mail. Here is a link: http://www.bandstores.co.uk/shop/elvisattheo2/index.php

Two CDs and two souvenir programs would cost about £64 including shipping to Canada.

My mother lives in Greenwich, just a stone's throw from the O2, but I live in Alabama. I 'm considering ordering a few items.

Jim

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

JRtherealJR wrote:
The Pirate wrote: how come it costs £20 a ticket fora bunch of clothes and old documents that will be seen by tens of thousands?
Ah, the old "If you don't think everything is wonderful and you aren't prepared to spend a fortune, you aren't a real fan", argument.

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

Joe Car wrote: The fact that you diminish the sentimental value to us fans as far as the items on display with your comments goes, makes debating you a waste of time. Not sure what 20 quid is, but I wish, wish this would come to Canada. I would pay to see it, that's for sure.
So you're saying that because the items have sentimental value, they can charge what they like and it's worth it?

JRtherealJR

Post by JRtherealJR »

The Pirate wrote:
JRtherealJR wrote:
Ah, the old "If you don't think everything is wonderful and you aren't prepared to spend a fortune, you aren't a real fan", argument.
It's only £20. Quite cheap for an exhibit of this scale.

Ad hominem fallacy (or ad hominem) is an attempt to discredit someone’s argument by personally attacking them. Instead of discussing the argument itself, criticism is directed toward the opponent’s character, which is irrelevant to the discussion.
https://www.scribbr.co.uk/fallacy/ad-hominem/

Ad hominem (Latin for 'to the person'), refers to several types of arguments, most of which are fallacious. Typically this term refers to a rhetorical strategy where the speaker attacks the character, motive, or some other attribute of the person making an argument rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself. This avoids genuine debate by creating a personal attack as a diversion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Rock Legend
Suspended for one week
Suspended for one week
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Rock Legend »

I saw the Titanic exhibition about a year ago, and that was approx. £8 per adult, and £25 per family. That’s a more realistic entrance price, and in my opinion the Titanic exhibition also offers far greater value. The sets they build to showcase the artifacts are fantastic and the way this story is presented puts the Elvis one to shame, based on the images and footage I’ve seen so far.

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

JRtherealJR wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
JRtherealJR wrote:
And there you have it. "Only" £20.

That's £40 if you go with a partner, or I suppose you can do the sensible thing and leave them outside while you go in on your own.

Scarre
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Scarre »

Bodie wrote:Priscilla looks amazing as she approaches 70.
Please tell me you are kidding...

debtd1
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by debtd1 »

Brian Quinn wrote:The Good News – I attended the Elvis Exhibition at the 02 in London yesterday and loved every bit of it. Fantastic to see all these artefacts after so many years of looking at them in magazines and on film. Such good value for money at just over £20 a ticket including VAT.

The Bad News – AND THIS MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL!!! Two days prior to my attendance I received an e-mail from the 02 organisers stating that the CD which I purchased in advance with my ticket was not yet available and would be sent to me in January. I had also purchased the 02 Exhibition Brochure in advance and this was given to me on production of my ticket. When I received my Brochure I said that I would like to purchase another copy for a friend and was told that they are not allowed to sell Brochures at the Exhibition. It appears that one has to purchase such items when you order online. I suspect EPE’s logic for this is that if they sell Brochures at the venue then other Elvis fans would get them and not attend (flawed logic in my opinion). Whatever their reasoning I really object to their not letting fans know about this in advance. My only other little gripe is that on entering the 02 Complex, the Exhibition is not signposted anywhere. If you turn right on entering and go down the restaurant section the Exhibition is about two hundred yards down on the left.

You have been warned.

However, for those attending YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!

Brian

Brian, are there any chairs to sit on periodically as your going round? I enquired about hiring a wheelchair for my friend and they don't:-(
I have a dicky knee, but it would have been easier pushing her than it is going to be watching her struggling to get round…..

"No-one, but no-one, is his equal, or ever will be. He was, and is supreme". Mick Jagger

Bodie
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Bodie »

The Pirate wrote:
JRtherealJR wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
JRtherealJR wrote:
And there you have it. "Only" £20.

That's £40 if you go with a partner, or I suppose you can do the sensible thing and leave them outside while you go in on your own.
Go to the Exhibition and see for yourself if it's worth it.
Last edited by Bodie on Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by promiseland »

Bodie wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Bodie wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

Hell I spend $20 at Arbys. (Of course I have to get a double Roast Beef Max which is $11 by itself..)

Gary1
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Gary1 »

Well it didn't take long for the moaning start....now there's a surprise. :roll:

Gunter
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by Gunter »

All things considered I don't have any problem with the entrance price, but one thing is for sure. I'm not buying any FTD's there. :shock: :) :D :lol: :smt003 :facep:

You know, that version of "Dixie" and uh, the "Battle Hymn of the Republic," it's so beautiful!
The band he's put together is so over-the-top, and only Elvis would have that kinda spending power, and just audacious craziness. Choirs, and orchestras, and a great rhythm section, maybe another gospel group on the side. None of it makes sense until you suddenly hear something like that, and they're all playing a role in that, and it's very moving music. That's the pure joy of music in the man. You know, that's when I see everything stop.

~Tom Petty - The Searcher

Sodman
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Sodman »

Just to get things in perspective: In Sweden a beer cost 20 GBP when you go out in a bar...! Well, almost at least :)

No matter how far down the wrong road you've gone, TURN BACK!

Bill Tanner
Registered for: 12 years

Post by Bill Tanner »

Sodman wrote:Just to get things in perspective: In Sweden a beer cost 20 GBP when you go out in a bar...! Well, almost at least :)

I think you can only compare the price of Elvis at the 02 with other UK exhibitions/museums/galleries etc. And I'd agree, It looks overpriced. The Elvis Liverpool exhibition was £7.00, though it was smaller. Did anyone go to the 'Bowie Is' exhibition in London last year? I wonder how much that was?

Pop star exhibitions will soon be the new concerts. Jacko's clobber will be on tour soon, betcha!

"Christ - I miss the cold war"

sireltonjohn
Registered for: 16 years

Post by sireltonjohn »

pretty sure an on the day ticket for Bowie was £15.50. I missed it sadly

Rubberneckin'
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Rubberneckin' »

debtd1 wrote:
Brian, are there any chairs to sit on periodically as your going round? I enquired about hiring a wheelchair for my friend and they don't:-(
I have a dicky knee, but it would have been easier pushing her than it is going to be watching her struggling to get round…..
Just been to see it and was not disappointed, Yes there were a few chairs in the middle of the exhibition and some outside the entrance to the theatre for the film.

debtd1
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by debtd1 »

Rubberneckin' wrote:
debtd1 wrote:
Just been to see it and was not disappointed, Yes there were a few chairs in the middle of the exhibition and some outside the entrance to the theatre for the film.

Thanks for that;-)

"No-one, but no-one, is his equal, or ever will be. He was, and is supreme". Mick Jagger