Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Ciscoking
Registered for: 21 years

Re: FTD Releases: Oct & Nov. 2014

Post by Ciscoking »

Matthew wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:I just got Elvis In Florida...another stand out performance from 1975..!!!

Good sound....great show...Elvis is in high spirits and he enjoys his time on stage...

Excellent booklet with many photos and newspaper reviews...like the shots with Elvis
wearing this blue 2 piece suit...some photos seem new to me...well done. Ernst !!
Ok Cisco, you well know my thoughts about 1975 getting highly overrated by some members on this forum, but you are the expert on this period of shows so would you mind doing the following:

Rank in order all 1975 shows as issued officially only (RCA / FTD), firstly by overall show quality, then by sound?
Matthew..I never said I was an "expert"..and I just said I had a faible for those 1975 shows.
And I think you do understand that it is just a hobby of míne..I cannot spend the whole day
with Elvis...I run a website and support other sites....I write for a mag..some Tunzi books..etc..
I just do not have the time to write down such a list..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

My apologies Cisco, yes you have never labelled yourself the expert, but your commentary here, plus on other sites (elvisoncd etc) added to your consulting work for FTD paints a picture that you are somewhat versed on this subject.

We have from FTD (focus on complete/almost complete shows only):

Dixieland Rocks (2001) - May 6th, 1975 ES, Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
Dinner at Eight (2002) - Dec 13th, 1975 DS, Las Vegas.
Big Boss Man (2005) - March 28th, 1975 MS, Las Vegas.
Dixieland Delight (2009) - May 31st, 1975 AS / June 1st, 1975 ES - Huntsville, Alabama.
Fashion for a King (2011) - Dec 14th, 1975, Las Vegas.
Another Saturday Night (2012) - June 7th, 1975 ES, Shreveport, Louisiana.
Elvis in Florida (2014) - April 27th, 1975, Lakeland, Florida.

Then from RCA:

Elvis Aron Presley (1980) - June 6th, 1975, Dallas Texas.

I would be interested in seeing these ranked.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Why Me, Lord ?....sorry....couldn`t resist... :lol:

I like the 2 Vegas shows March 28 and Dec.13.. followed by the June tour shows.,

Lakeland is too fresh..have to listen to it a few more times..Help Me is great..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

:D Great news thanks Cisco...you must be the FIRST to hear it! :wink: and i note mastered by Jan Eliasson hmm look forward to hearing it! newspaper reviews rated the E/S performance in Lakeland as 'GOOD!". :D

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Robert »

YDKM wrote::D Great news thanks Cisco...you must be the FIRST to hear it! :wink: and i note mastered by Jan Eliasson hmm look forward to hearing it! newspaper reviews rated the E/S performance in Lakeland as 'GOOD!". :D
Good?, it can't be as it's from 1975!
Fleetwood Mac was way ahead of Elvis and Tony Bennett is still redefining his show-format and set-list every single tour.

(According to the three headed uni crew over here)

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Robert wrote:Good?, it can't be as it's from 1975!
Good? It can be, for 1975!

Better than any of the competition on the planet regardless of whether one likes that competition? Sadly not.

If only. Can you imagine how truly great the shows in 1975 would've been with Elvis on game?

Dreams of yesteryear...

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

I'll judge the show once I have heard it. I still (think) Elvis did do many great shows during 1975! :D

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

Ciscoking wrote:I just got Elvis In Florida...another stand out performance from 1975..!!!

Good sound....great show...Elvis is in high spirits and he enjoys his time on stage...

Excellent booklet with many photos and newspaper reviews...like the shots with Elvis
wearing this blue 2 piece suit...some photos seem new to me...well done. Ernst !!
Excellent news!

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

:D Interesting review (Courtesy of Francesc's site! :D )

CONCERT DATE: April 27, 1975 E/S Lakeland, FL.

Fans Know: Elvis is still Elvis
by Dean Johnson
Sentinel Star
April 29, 1975

Oh, Elvis!
When that black hair has turned to gray and become more part than parcel ... when that rather soft looking body has turned to bouncing jello ...even when the shows are as dulls as a 28-watt bulb ... they'll still jam up to scream "Oh Elvis!" They'll still (as they did Sunday at the Lakeland Civic Center) let Elvis give them the business. They'll buy his buttons ($1), tapes ($5), the scarves and pennants with his picture on them and rip out ($4) for the opera glasses his people sell "to see Elvis up real close"

WARTS AND all - all being the well publicized weight (around 220 pounds of it) the 40-year-old King now carries around. The result of a twisted colon condition that put Elvis into the hospital back around his birthday in January, the excess baggage sometimes makes it look like that man on the stage is doing a parody of himself - or like it's really Rich Little somehow made up to look like "our one and only"

Dressed in a rather drab blue suit with patches of spangles strung here and there. Elvis could have belched in different keys and the masses (8,000 fans at Sunday's second show) would have moaned and cried and squealed in appreciation.

THE POUTY look is gone, but he still wears his coat collar turned up and he still thrusts the pelvis image - although with the extra weight, the effect sometimes hovers around the gross side of sexy.

The fans didn't care. They squirmed in their red seats and the nervier ones stormed the stage (ringed by security men and Elvis' personal bodyguard) to get one of the more than a dozen scarves Elvis handed out during his little-more-than-an-hour performance. A few of them would go home with lips that would be unwashed for the rest of their lives. "They sure do learn fast nowdays," Elvis said after planting a sedate smacker on a chicklet who couldn't have been more than 10

ELVIS' SHOW was Las Vegas glossy - more of a variety show than a rock concert. The first half (about an hour) was all support acts. Voice: a trio of men in powder blue jumsuits, did two members in which the only recognizable lyric was "remember".

There was a comedian named Jackie who did several minutes of borderline funnies 'til he hit with a bunch of gags about the weird things we do.'

There were The Sweet Inspirations, the Supremes-type group that has been traveling with Elvis five years. They were terrific - rich-voiced and right up on the pops with numbers like "Lady Marmalade" and "Philadelphia Freedom"

ALL OF the first half singers plus J.D. sumner and The Stamps Quartet (Sumner is "low downs" gospel bass who was born in Lakeland) backed Elvis in his slice of the show. That, with the band and the King's own satisfying voice made every number hit. "Hound Dog" to "Burning Love".

When the evening was over at 10:45 the emcee announced "Elvis has left the building". Even if they knew, the civic center staff wasn't saying where Elvis was staying. Media manager Ted Whittaker said he believed Presley stayed in the Lakeland area between Sunday's 2:30 and 8:30 p.m. shows.

Whittaker said there had been no problems with either of the shows Sunday. The crowds (youngish, well-behaved and, perhaps would only grumble when they had to face the post-show traffic. Lakeland has still not provided adequate access from Interstate 4 to the downtown civic center and in fact, there are no directional signs from I-4 to the three building complex.

Elvis also performed at 8:30 pm Monday.

Courtesy of Kurt Hinkle

You Don't Know Me!

L Ray
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by L Ray »

YDKM wrote::D Interesting review (Courtesy of Francesc's site! :D )

by Dean Johnson
Sentinel Star
April 29, 1975

Oh, Elvis!
When that black hair has turned to gray and become more part than parcel ... when that rather soft looking body has turned to bouncing jello ...even when the shows are as dulls as a 28-watt bulb ... they'll still jam up to scream "Oh Elvis!" They'll still (as they did Sunday at the Lakeland Civic Center) let Elvis give them the business. They'll buy his buttons ($1), tapes ($5), the scarves and pennants with his picture on them and rip out ($4) for the opera glasses his people sell "to see Elvis up real close"

WARTS AND all - all being the well publicized weight (around 220 pounds of it) the 40-year-old King now carries around. The result of a twisted colon condition that put Elvis into the hospital back around his birthday in January, the excess baggage sometimes makes it look like that man on the stage is doing a parody of himself - or like it's really Rich Little somehow made up to look like "our one and only"

Dressed in a rather drab blue suit with patches of spangles strung here and there. Elvis could have belched in different keys and the masses (8,000 fans at Sunday's second show) would have moaned and cried and squealed in appreciation.

THE POUTY look is gone, but he still wears his coat collar turned up and he still thrusts the pelvis image - although with the extra weight, the effect sometimes hovers around the gross side of sexy.

The fans didn't care. They squirmed in their red seats and the nervier ones stormed the stage (ringed by security men and Elvis' personal bodyguard) to get one of the more than a dozen scarves Elvis handed out during his little-more-than-an-hour performance. A few of them would go home with lips that would be unwashed for the rest of their lives. "They sure do learn fast nowdays," Elvis said after planting a sedate smacker on a chicklet who couldn't have been more than 10

ELVIS' SHOW was Las Vegas glossy - more of a variety show than a rock concert. The first half (about an hour) was all support acts. Voice: a trio of men in powder blue jumsuits, did two members in which the only recognizable lyric was "remember".

There was a comedian named Jackie who did several minutes of borderline funnies 'til he hit with a bunch of gags about the weird things we do.'

There were The Sweet Inspirations, the Supremes-type group that has been traveling with Elvis five years. They were terrific - rich-voiced and right up on the pops with numbers like "Lady Marmalade" and "Philadelphia Freedom"

ALL OF the first half singers plus J.D. sumner and The Stamps Quartet (Sumner is "low downs" gospel bass who was born in Lakeland) backed Elvis in his slice of the show. That, with the band and the King's own satisfying voice made every number hit. "Hound Dog" to "Burning Love".

When the evening was over at 10:45 the emcee announced "Elvis has left the building". Even if they knew, the civic center staff wasn't saying where Elvis was staying. Media manager Ted Whittaker said he believed Presley stayed in the Lakeland area between Sunday's 2:30 and 8:30 p.m. shows.

Whittaker said there had been no problems with either of the shows Sunday. The crowds (youngish, well-behaved and, perhaps would only grumble when they had to face the post-show traffic. Lakeland has still not provided adequate access from Interstate 4 to the downtown civic center and in fact, there are no directional signs from I-4 to the three building complex.

Courtesy of Kurt Hinkle

This is one awful review.

KevinK
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by KevinK »

L Ray wrote: This is one awful review.
It's not great is it. Well, the Sweets get a great review..
It's quite telling how the reviewer essentially skips Elvis' part of the evening.

Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

Matthew wrote:My apologies Cisco, yes you have never labelled yourself the expert, but your commentary here, plus on other sites (elvisoncd etc) added to your consulting work for FTD paints a picture that you are somewhat versed on this subject.

Dixieland Delight (2009) - May 31st, 1975 AS / June 1st, 1975 ES - Huntsville, Alabama.

Then from RCA:

Show quality (I can’t do the sound, as I don’t have the time for it):

Big Boss Man
Dinner at Eight
Dixieland Rocks
Elvis Aron Presley
Another Saturday Night
Fashion for a King
Elvis in Florida
Dixieland Delight
, CD 1
Dixieland Delight, CD 2

This list is from memory only. Elvis Aron Presley (a compilation, really) could easily be in the number two spot. The last two CDs may be in the opposite order; they are very close in quality, or lack thereof. Not sure about the Florida CD, as I’ve only played it twice or thrice over the stereo; no close listen yet. The soundboard seems to be well-balanced, though, and a very good choice for FTD.

Topic author
Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Ken Jensen wrote:
Matthew wrote:My apologies Cisco, yes you have never labelled yourself the expert, but your commentary here, plus on other sites (elvisoncd etc) added to your consulting work for FTD paints a picture that you are somewhat versed on this subject.

Then from RCA:

Show quality (I can’t do the sound, as I don’t have the time for it):

Big Boss Man
Dinner at Eight
Dixieland Rocks
Elvis Aron Presley
Another Saturday Night
Fashion for a King
Elvis in Florida
Dixieland Delight
, CD 1
Dixieland Delight, CD 2

This list is from memory only. Elvis Aron Presley (a compilation, really) could easily be in the number two spot. The last two CDs may be in the opposite order; they are very close in quality, or lack thereof. Not sure about the Florida CD, as I’ve only played it twice or thrice over the stereo; no close listen yet. The soundboard seems to be well-balanced, though, and a very good choice for FTD.
So the drums are hearable?

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

I think they are audible, but I was listening to this CD while working, so I can’t really tell for sure.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Did that Dixieland Delight book ever come out? I vaguely recall something about an independent publication that was coming out in 2009 that the FTD was released to coincide with.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

:D If sound is well balanced... then i 'll probably enjoy DESPITE the review i posted!~ :wink: :lol:

You Don't Know Me!

Tornado
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Tornado »

YDKM wrote::D Interesting review (Courtesy of Francesc's site! :D )

by Dean Johnson
Sentinel Star
April 29, 1975

Oh, Elvis!

Courtesy of Kurt Hinkle

Desenchanted, surely but sadly realistic We all know Elvis was overusing a formula and avoiding and risky change like he did in the Past.

norrie
Registered for: 20 years

Post by norrie »

So every song "hit" yet it seems such a negative review.Seems like he was more concerned with the souvenir stand and traffic than the show.

norrie

steve in SC

Post by steve in SC »

Anyone got any idea why ShopElvis aka ShopGraceland no longer carries FTD older titles? Since they went to the Graceland website and shutdown Elvis.com they have had only 22 or 23 titles. Mostly just the latest ones.

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

steve in SC wrote:Anyone got any idea why ShopElvis aka ShopGraceland no longer carries FTD older titles? Since they went to the Graceland website and shutdown Elvis.com they have had only 22 or 23 titles. Mostly just the latest ones.
I would check again. They have titles going all the way back to the first six including Tuscon '76.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

I haven't found even one place actually selling this 'new' FTD...hopefully that will change dramatically after stocks get spread around by weekend?? :? :shock:

You Don't Know Me!

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

JEFF d
EP fan

Garfield
Registered for: 14 years 8 months

Post by Garfield »

YDKM wrote:I haven't found even one place actually selling this 'new' FTD...hopefully that will change dramatically after stocks get spread around by weekend?? :? :shock:
NDT received their stock yesterday and are posting pre-orders out from today.

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

YDKM wrote:Elvis could have belched in different keys and the masses (8,000 fans at Sunday's second show) would have moaned and cried and squealed in appreciation.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by When In Rome »

I just got an email from Elvis Shop London, my order is completed for 'Elvis In Florida'. Cool, should get in the next few days.

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...