"Fats vs. Elvis : Teenagers choose Fats in poll" - 1957

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Mister Moon

"Fats vs. Elvis : Teenagers choose Fats in poll" - 1957

Post by Mister Moon »

A funny article from 1957, where the "Afro-American", not exactly an impartial newspaper (it was obviously aimed at the black community), tried to promote Fats Domino by confronting him with Elvis.

In real life, such a dilemma did not exist, of course. Elvis and Fats were by far the two best selling rock and rollers of the fifties, and one must assume that their record buying public was, in most cases, the same one.

570112a.JPG
570112b.JPG
570112c.JPG
570112d.JPG
570112e.JPG

Topic author
Mister Moon

Re: "Fats vs. Elvis : Teenagers choose Fats in poll" - 1957

Post by Mister Moon »

A couple of photos showing Fats and Elvis together in the 60s :

Fats Elvis 1969.jpg
Fats Elvis 1964.jpg

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

A stellar R&B chart from 1956, with Elvis and Fats sharing honors :

BB 561020x.JPG

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Everyone I knew who bought Elvis records also bought Fats records and visa versa. Some liked Elvis better and some liked Fats better. It was the best of times!

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

r&b wrote:Everyone I knew who bought Elvis records also bought Fats records and visa versa. Some liked Elvis better and some liked Fats better. It was the best of times!
Post of the month !

Many thanks, r&b. Very nice to have a first hand account !

brian

Post by brian »

It is weird that Fats Domino was by far the best selling African American artist of the mid to late 1950's but Little Richard and Chuck Berry get more attention.

Fats Domino is somewhat forgotten for some reason perhaps because he hasn't talked as much as Little Richard.

For all the talk of black artists being held down by the racial climate of the era Fats Domino outsold all of the white rock n' roll acts except Elvis.

That was a very impressive feat.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

brian wrote:It is weird that Fats Domino was by far the best selling African American artist of the mid to late 1950's but Little Richard and Chuck Berry get more attention.

Fats Domino is somewhat forgotten for some reason perhaps because he hasn't talked as much as Little Richard.

For all the talk of black artists being held down by the racial climate of the era Fats Domino outsold all of the white rock n' roll acts except Elvis.

Yes thats true. Fats is much more laid back than Richard or Chuck or even Bo Diddley. He basically has always stayed in New Orleans and played most of his gigs there. He did a few TV specials Fats & Friends, and the one with Rick Nelson, and toured with JLL in '86. but Richard & Chuck have appeared with Keith Richards, John Lennon, and others and really have had more of their songs covered by classic rock acts than Fats has. I guess it all adds up to them getting more attention.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

brian wrote:It is weird that Fats Domino was by far the best selling African American artist of the mid to late 1950's but Little Richard and Chuck Berry get more attention.

In all fairness, Fats' first record was recorded and released in 1949, and he enjoyed an impressive string of hit singles (some of them double sided hits) all through the fifties.

Little Richard stayed with Specialty Records from 1955 to 1957 only (he would return to the label in the 60s, but that's another story) and, although he also released an incredible number of classic records for such a short time span, he could never have matched Fats in that respect.

Same for Chuck Berry, who entered Chess in 1955.

I guess later rock and roll bands felt more attracted to the more straighforward records of Richard and Berry, but Domino was equally, if not more, influential as them to some of the early rockers, such as Buddy Holly, for example.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Mister Moon wrote:

In all fairness, Fats' first record was recorded and released in 1949, and he enjoyed an impressive string of hit singles (some of them double sided hits) all through the fifties.

Little Richard stayed with Specialty Records from 1955 to 1957 only (he would return to the label in the 60s, but that's another story), and although he also released an incredible number of classic records for such a short time span, he could never have matched Fats in that respect.

I guess later rock and roll bands felt more attracted to the more straighforward records of Richard and Berry, but Domino was equally, if not more, influential as them to some of the early rockers, such as Buddy Holly, for example.
Mister Moon - who is the girl group in your Avatar??

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

r&b wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Little Richard stayed with Specialty Records from 1955 to 1957 only (he would return to the label in the 60s, but that's another story), and although he also released an incredible number of classic records for such a short time span, he could never have matched Fats in that respect.

The Chantels ! :)

Thanks for asking.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Mister Moon wrote:
r&b wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Thanks for asking.

Of course! How did I miss Arlene??

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

r&b wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
r&b wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Thanks for asking.

Arlene Smith, rock and roll goddess !

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Mister Moon wrote:
r&b wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
r&b wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Thanks for asking.

Arlene Smith, rock and roll goddess !
Underrated voice. Big influence on Janis j!

LoverBoy

Post by LoverBoy »

Maybe because he was quite a boring performer overall in comparison to other Rockers at that time.

I like Fats Domino he was and still is a very nice person. Blueberry Hill is one of my all time favorites.

By the way I'm new here so go easy on me, this is just my opinion. :)

LoverBoy

Post by LoverBoy »

Last edited by LoverBoy on Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoverBoy

Post by LoverBoy »

Pink&Black wrote:Thanks Mister Moon for the article. it does sound a bit partial lol. " I don't like Elvis because he isn' t original and he looks like a girl." ?! I love Fats Domino, saw him twice in Holland in the eighties. I guess we all know the story of the press conference in 69 when Elvis referred to Fats as the real King of Rock'n'Roll.

Welcome to the forum LoverBoy!
Hi, Thanks I'm Loving it!

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

LoverBoy wrote:

Maybe because he was quite a boring performer overall in comparison to other Rockers at that time.

I like Fats Domino he was and still is a very nice person. Blueberry Hill is one of my all time favorites.

By the way I'm new here so go easy on me, this is just my opinion. :)
Fats Domino, boring ? I don't think so, not even by comparison.

Fats is one of the best exponents ever of New Orleans-based music, which is often good time music.

I had the honor of seeing him and his fabulous band in concert in 1992, and I remember it all as the best show I have ever witnessed, by far - and I have seen quite a few original rock and rollers in concert. The only one that could come close is Carl Perkins, whom I saw twice performing live.

But, hey, to each his own ! :)

Thanks for the post, and welcome to the board.

Pink&Black wrote:Thanks Mister Moon for the article. it does sound a bit partial lol. " I don't like Elvis because he isn' t original and he looks like a girl." ?! I love Fats Domino, saw him twice in Holland in the eighties. I guess we all know the story of the press conference in 69 when Elvis referred to Fats as the real King of Rock'n'Roll.
Glad you liked it, Pink&Black.

There's also an August 1969 concert wherein Elvis introduces Fats, who is in the audience, and he (Elvis) sings the opening lines of "Blueberry Hill". If I'm not mistaken, this appeared on the "Collector's Gold" box-set,

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

Post by mysterytrainrideson »

Great stuff as usual, Mister Moon, thanks.

Made me laugh describing his gyrations "resembling a chicken scratch". Lol

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Great topic and post Mister Moon,thank you

sent from Lincolnshire,UK,by carrier pigeon

-instagram kenh1964

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Fats was and is a lovely man and great artist. And he's still here today.

Nice post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

ale

Post by ale »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Fats was and is a lovely man and great artist. And he's still here today.

Nice post.
agree...Fats is great
i remember watching the dvd from 2002 at new Orleans festival and he was in great form, playing with same enerygy as 45 years back.
Another great dvd...if not my favourite from Fats is Live in Austin City Limits

By the way....I remember watching a great R&R documentary from 1984 call History of Rock 'n' Roll or something like that....I wonder if it is on dvd?? Any info would be welcome :smt002
Ale

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Fats was and is a lovely man and great artist. And he's still here today.

Nice post.
He certainly is. I have a nice little story for you. Back in '86, after the first Rock & Roll HOF inductions, Fats & Jerry Lee set out on a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame tour. I'm not sure how large a tour, but I went to see them at the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island, NY. As was my custom, I waited at the stage door to try & get an autograph. Jerry Lee totally ignored us. Fats came over signed a few things for me & others and after I thanked him, he said to me, 'No thank you for still asking.' I'll never forget that. He even gave me his address if I wanted to send more stuff for him to sign. Thats the kind of man he is. No wonder Elvis liked him.

ale

Post by ale »

r&b wrote:

Nice post.
He certainly is. I have a nice little story for you. Back in '86, after the first Rock & Roll HOF inductions, Fats & Jerry Lee set out on a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame tour. I'm not sure how large a tour, but I went to see them at the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island, NY. As was my custom, I waited at the stage door to try & get an autograph. Jerry Lee totally ignored us. Fats came over signed a few things for me & others and after I thanked him, he said to me, 'No thank you for still asking.' I'll never forget that. He even gave me his address if I wanted to send more stuff for him to sign. Thats the kind of man he is. No wonder Elvis liked him.
Loved your story!...thanks!
If there is one man I'd like to get an autograph...is Fats Domino

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

ale wrote:
r&b wrote:

Nice post.
Loved your story!...thanks!
If there is one man I'd like to get an autograph...is Fats Domino
You're welcome! From what I understand he still returns autograph requests thru the mail. You would have to do some research to find a current address to send to. Its prob the only way, as I dont think he will ever tour again. Maybe try his club in New Orleans?

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Great stuff as usual, Mister Moon, thanks.

Made me laugh describing his gyrations "resembling a chicken scratch". Lol
You're welcome. Yes, it's a funny article. :)

Lonely Summer wrote:I remember Fats singing "Blueberry Hill" on that tv special with Rick Nelson, and saying he had sung it "many, many times for the late, great Elvis Presley. He was as wonderful as his records were. I I guess the whole world still misses him." Fats has never had a bad word to say about Elvis (unlike a few performers), in fact, I don't think Fats ever says anything bad about anybody. In that same concert, when introducing Rick, he says "after he recorded I'm Walkin', I didn't work for 5 years", which isn't true, but it was a nice thing to say.
Yes, despite his huge importance on early rhythm & blues and rock & roll, he is a modest, self-effacing man.

Thanks for the post !

keninlincs wrote:Great topic and post Mister Moon,thank you

sent from Lincolnshire,UK,by carrier pigeon

Nice post.
Thanks ken and doc. Glad you liked it !

ale wrote: i remember watching the dvd from 2002 at new Orleans festival and he was in great form, playing with same enerygy as 45 years back.
Another great dvd...if not my favourite from Fats is Live in Austin City Limits
What about "Fats and friends", recorded in 1986 at Storyville Club in New Orleans, featuring Dave Bartholomew and his band, plus guest stars Jerry Lee Lewis and Ray Charles (as well as others, such as Ronnie Wood) ? A very entertaining performance, and well worth seeing.

r&b wrote:I have a nice little story for you. Back in '86, after the first Rock & Roll HOF inductions, Fats & Jerry Lee set out on a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame tour. I'm not sure how large a tour, but I went to see them at the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island, NY. As was my custom, I waited at the stage door to try & get an autograph. Jerry Lee totally ignored us. Fats came over signed a few things for me & others and after I thanked him, he said to me, 'No thank you for still asking.' I'll never forget that. He even gave me his address if I wanted to send more stuff for him to sign. Thats the kind of man he is. No wonder Elvis liked him.

Great story, r&b. Thanks for sharing it !

A friend of mine went to see him in 1985. After the concert, he tried to find him for an autograph, but the staff people at the concert told him they did not allow fans to get close to Fats. He waited for him anyway. After a while, Domino went out the stage door, and was quickly escorted into his car, and my friend managed to sneak with Fats into the car. The staff "bodyguards" went mad when they saw that, and tried to get him out of the car, but Fats stopped them. He signed the album my friend brought him to autograph, and shook his hand. My friend also managed to meet Dave Bartholomew, who signed for him a beautiful promotional picture of him with his trumpet - Dave himself took the picture from his own suitcase.