FTD Elvis´Christmas Album LOC-1035 Coming Soon.....

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

LoverBoy
Registered for: 9 years 5 months

Re: FTD Elvis´Christmas Album LOC-1035 Coming Soon.....

Post by LoverBoy »

I think it's nice that FTD is releasing a Elvis Christmas album, and I am looking forward to it but I just hope it comes with a nice picture book or some posters or something. Releasing it just in a CD jewel case or Digi pack with nothing else will put me of from buying it.

Long time lurker here by the way, Hi everyone :smt001 I thought I should join in and post comments as well :smt006

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

NumberEight wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Nice scans! It reminds us how special and fun the holiday season can be when it comes to Elvis and his music.

At long last, the deluxe 1957 LP will get the deluxe 2014 FTD treatment!

May we safely assume the FTD team has enjoyed this legendary FECC topic?

Elvis' Christmas Album --> Mystery No More?
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51588
I missed this at the time. Brilliant bit of research! I can see how you obtained your doctorate.
You're too kind.

There had always been something odd about the reissue cover photo, it just did not seem like late 1958 was the correct release date. So I dug in, and found out that everyone for years had simply parroted that information, and they were mistaken.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

drjohncarpenter

Tony.. wrote:
r&b wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Nice post !

Sadly, it's not a FTD release i'm going to purchase. I already have the tracks, besides i'm not a great lover of Elvis' religious recordings and things like "Bethlehem" and "Silent Night" don't cut any ice with me. There are 4 great christmas songs on there, "Santa Claus Is Back In Town" being the best by far, but i've already got them.
Unless by a miracle they have uncovered outtakes of the Christmas songs, I have zero interest in this. Outtakes on the Peace In The Valley songs do not interest me and never did. Even as kid I hardly played the masters. Never understood why they were on a Christmas album in the first place.

In hindsight, it's a shame that Elvis didn't just record 12 straight Christmas tracks; the 4 gospel numbers were a reissue of the "peace in the valley" EP tracks - a sure sign of practices to come..
I hope FTD don't decide to go with a separate release of the "peace in valley" EP. That would mean the Xmas album release will be a bare bones release at a premium price.
Ack. Ignoring the all-too-typical negativity and paranoia in your post, you are clearly unaware that Elvis did not want to cut a holiday album, and actually had many other ideas for the sessions in September 1957. RCA was lucky to get the eight masters they used on the LP. In fact, it would have been only seven had Leiber and Stoller not come up on the last day with "Christmas Blues," which was a last-minute request from Tom Parker.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

EPA4368
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by EPA4368 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tony.. wrote: In hindsight, it's a shame that Elvis didn't just record 12 straight Christmas tracks; the 4 gospel numbers were a reissue of the "peace in the valley" EP tracks - a sure sign of practices to come..
I hope FTD don't decide to go with a separate release of the "peace in valley" EP. That would mean the Xmas album release will be a bare bones release at a premium price.
Ack. Ignoring the all-too-typical negativity and paranoia in your post, you are clearly unaware that Elvis did not want to cut a holiday album, and actually had many other ideas for the sessions in September 1957. RCA was lucky to get the eight masters they used on the LP.
Exactly! We were fortunate to get the eight masters they used on the LP.
drjohncarpenter wrote:In fact, it would have been only seven had Leiber and Stoller not come up on the last day with "Christmas Blues," which was a last-minute request from Tom Parker.
Well, Parker did have a ‘soft spot’ for Christmas :smt114

Topic author
Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
drghanem wrote:Beautiful post Mike, I love the all the photos you presented. I hope the FTD-team takes notice and consult you on this essential Christmas-release. BTW, I have the Japanese paper-sleeve CD and it has a great sound-fidelity plus the beautiful booklet in 5", with this up-coming FTD we'll hopefully get in 7"! Once again, thanks a million for a great post!
Thank you so much for the nice compliments! ::rocks.

I also hope FTD take notice of the info provided here just in case they miss something :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

KevinK
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by KevinK »

Here's the Xmas album from 1985 on green vinyl.
This was how I first heard it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bajo

Post by bajo »

I sure look forward to that real classic Christmas album. I think it will include the gospel song outtakes that we already have been treated with over the years. A.o.:
(BIN=binaural)
1. Peace In The Valley 3:29 M.9 BIN CU
2. It Is No Secret 3:56 M.13 BIN CU
3. Peace In The Valley 3:22 T.1 TTF
4. Peace In The Valley 3:57 T.2,3 BIN ESS2
5. Peace In The Valley 3:22 T.4 PLAT
6. Peace In The Valley 3:40 T.7 BIN ESS2
7. It Is No Secret 6:00 T.1,2,3 BIN ESS2
8. It Is No Secret 4:07 T.5 BIN FB

And even if there are not too many outtakes of the christmas songs, the idea of including the songs from the same sessions that produced both the album and the gospel EP at the time, would be a fine way to fill a double cd set. Including rare alternates and binaural versions. Just a thought! Long since I really looked forward to the season ahead. Come on Ernst, surprise us! :D

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

drghanem
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by drghanem »

Maybe, just maybe, Ernst and Roger have found some previoulsy unreleased segments from the September 1957-sessions. Let's keep our fingers crossed, even if it's just some studio-banter as on White Christmas. BTW, my ears consider that pre-song banter and finger-snaps fully authentic. Yesterday I played the 1985-pressing of the CD Elvis' Christmas Album where it originated. The Beautiful Japanese 24-bit paper sleeve-release from 2000 sounds even better, at least imho.

"I´m limp as a rag, worn out when a show´s over". Elvis in Tacoma, fall 1957.
Long, Lonely Highway, by Ger Rijff (Tutti Frutti productions, 1985)

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

I do hope the new FTD will have White Christmas with Elvis' finger snap at the beginning. The snap was removed on the remaster used for The Complete Masters box.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Topic author
Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

drghanem wrote:Maybe, just maybe, Ernst and Roger have found some previoulsy unreleased segments from the September 1957-sessions. Let's keep our fingers crossed, even if it's just some studio-banter as on White Christmas. BTW, my ears consider that pre-song banter and finger-snaps fully authentic. Yesterday I played the 1985-pressing of the CD Elvis' Christmas Album where it originated. The Beautiful Japanese 24-bit paper sleeve-release from 2000 sounds even better, at least imho.
I hope FTD find space enough in the booklet to include in between the memorabilia, the beautiful Japanese sleeve of Elvis´Christmas Album LS-5038 :smt007. Bye for now :smt006.

Japanese cd RCA Victor Elvis´Christmas Album LS-5038. Front cover.

Japanese cd RCA Victor Elvis´Christmas Album LS-5038. Back cover.

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by When In Rome »

Well, I realise I'm preaching to the converted but I don't think it's been mentioned yet; did you know the original 1957 cover wasn't merely reproduced for the 1984 CD issue (and vinyl) it was meticulously replicated?
Elvis' Christmas Album.jpg
Elvis' Christmas Album [re-issue].jpg
Hours of fun guaranteed! Can YOU spot the differences? Etc... :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

drjohncarpenter

When In Rome wrote:Well, I realise I'm preaching to the converted but I don't think it's been mentioned yet; did you know the original 1957 cover wasn't merely reproduced for the 1984 CD issue (and vinyl) it was meticulously replicated?
It was discussed on my Christmas LP topic, linked a page or two back.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by When In Rome »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
:oops: Ah. Indeed it was. Sorry about that. Still, as Elvis fans we're no strangers to duplication... :|

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

a mess of polk salad
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Location: I've been a millionaire since I was 21, it's just a hobby to me...

FTD Elvis´Christmas Album LOC-1035 Coming Soon.....

Post by a mess of polk salad »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.
drghanem wrote:Maybe, just maybe, Ernst and Roger have found some previoulsy unreleased segments from the September 1957-sessions. Let's keep our fingers crossed, even if it's just some studio-banter as on White Christmas. BTW, my ears consider that pre-song banter and finger-snaps fully authentic. Yesterday I played the 1985-pressing of the CD Elvis' Christmas Album where it originated. The Beautiful Japanese 24-bit paper sleeve-release from 2000 sounds even better, at least imho.
I hope FTD find space enough in the booklet to include in between the memorabilia, the beautiful Japanese sleeve of Elvis´Christmas Album LS-5038 :smt007. Bye for now :smt006.

Love the Japanese paper sleeve cover.

Love this post!

Is there a tracklist selection yet?

The moment we're living is now, now now now now now ...

drjohncarpenter

When In Rome wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
:oops: Ah. Indeed it was. Sorry about that. Still, as Elvis fans we're no strangers to duplication... :|
No worries, your scans are nice to see here.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

The Japanese Elvis Christmas Album from '57 was a take-off from this album:
Christmas In High Fidelity.jpg

MT

Topic author
Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

MysteryTrain wrote:The Japanese Elvis Christmas Album from '57 was a take-off from this album:

MT
Coooool! 8). Thanks. Bye for now :smt006.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

MysteryTrain wrote:The Japanese Elvis Christmas Album from '57 was a take-off from this album:

MT
Coooool! 8). Thanks. Bye for now :smt006.
I have that LP on vinyl. It's old and scratchy sounding, but I play it every Christmas season along with some of my other seasonal favorites.

GregCieslik
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by GregCieslik »

a mess of polk salad wrote:

Love the Japanese paper sleeve cover.

Love this post!

Is there a tracklist selection yet?

Just so everyone knows. This japanese cover is a bootleg. BMG Japan never released this cover. They only released the original one. This bootleged cover wad made and packaged with the regular original CD that came with the otiginal cover. Even the matric numbers are the same. A few paper sleeves were bootleged like this to look as a real japanese paper sleve release CD releases.

Greg

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Tony.. »

Better not start that 'Japanese 24bit paper sleeve releases sound better / great' debate again or well have Matthew jolly well telling us off and disagreeing very strongly yet again. :lol:

NumberEight
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by NumberEight »

When In Rome wrote:Well, I realise I'm preaching to the converted but I don't think it's been mentioned yet; did you know the original 1957 cover wasn't merely reproduced for the 1984 CD issue (and vinyl) it was meticulously replicated?
Does anyone know why they did this?

drjohncarpenter

NumberEight wrote:
Elvis%27 Christmas Album.jpg
Elvis%27 Christmas Album %5Bre-issue%5D.jpg
Does anyone know why they did this?
The only explanation I can come up with is that someone at RCA felt the final result would be cleaner than a photo reproduction of the original art. No doubt the materials from 1957 were lost long ago by the label. Unfortunately, the "Jailhouse Rock" portrait seen on the 1985 reissue is exactly that, a photo reproduction from the original cover, and the quality suffers.

Thirty years later, a hi-res scan of the entire November 1957 LP cover, with a bit of restoration work, would likely look dynamite.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Tony.. wrote:Better not start that 'Japanese 24bit paper sleeve releases sound better / great' debate again or well have Matthew jolly well telling us off and disagreeing very strongly yet again. :lol:
It is surprising one so enamoured with that old series of releases clearly knows nothing of the uniqueness of the Paper Sleeve edition of Elvis' Christmas Album amongst the collection.

Would you like some help?

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

edit out..double post
Last edited by Juan Luis on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

The Japanese 24bit was/is excellent. Knowing that it was a favorite of Sebastian J., I am sure the FTD is going to be super if he has anything to do with the mastering of it.
Last edited by Juan Luis on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:25 am, edited 4 times in total.