Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis 1965 USA real sales figures. Amazing

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:27 pm

A Long Time Fan on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:13 pm wrote:Well that is how you come across - a bit of an obsessive. Someone who goes out of their way to praise everything Elvis did and not accept viewpoints of others because they do not think the same as you. And yes, you are correct that being a fan is personal. But being a fan does not mean that you have to accept everything as being, shall we say, near perfect or better than anyone else at the time, when quite clearly it or they are not. And yes, this encompasses those fans who support soccer clubs year after year yet vent their feelings when things are not going well. Members who often walk out before the game is finished if they see their team continually getting thrashed. But as fans, they come back the next week in the hope that there is an improvement. For me, being a true fan is someone who can recognise and accept failings, praise the good and not praise the not so good, and not brush the mistakes under the carpet because you refuse to accept such situations. So can you now explain what you mean when you talk about certain fans who cannot be real fans because they, according to you, rip Elvis to shreds and are hostile toward him.

emjel writes VERY similar to you.

There you go again using the words 'real fans'. Haven't I just explained this.

Andy

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:39 pm

jetblack on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:27 pm wrote:

But that would be against the rules!!!

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:43 pm

Hard Rocker on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:39 pm wrote:
jetblack on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:27 pm wrote:

But that would be against the rules!!!

Maybe someone forgot to read them. :shock:

Andy

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:44 am

peter, Kissin' Cousins was made after VLV. It's very strange that the movie and LP were released before VLV. The EP format was obsolete in 1964 but RCA continued to use it. Regarding Peter Guralnick, Careless Love book, I have some critical observations on this also. No book is perfect, and you know it very well, because you are a writer.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:53 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

poormadpeter2 on December 6th, 2017, 5:37 pm wrote:
jurasic1968 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:07 pm wrote:You don't say anything about Red, Marty and Jerry first hand opinions. Why?

You moan when I pick your posts apart, and now you're complaining because I haven't picked them apart enough?

To answer your question, there are things in Priscilla's tome that do not add up or make sense when one looks at the historical record of what happened. That automatically makes me question everything she says. She appears to say what she thinks people want to hear. What's more, she has made a successful career out of being married to Elvis.

The same isn't true for the others. Yes, they've written their books, and they've done their interviews. but they haven't made a career out of it. That in itself makes them more likely to be a reliable source. They do not make a living telling Elvis stories. What's more, one only has to read their interviews to understand that they are more forthright, open, and less guarded than Priscilla is or was.

but the main reason for me not taking issue with their testimony is that, as you probably know from my writings here in the past, I am not one for reading biographies by those who knew Elvis. I care about his work, not his private life. I've had to read Priscilla's, more's the pity, because I know a number of stories and myths stem from that publication, and they have been repeated over and over, and I had to address them in my own work. But I'm not going to discuss books by three people that I haven't read. I don't know if what they write checks out or not. I DO know that with Priscilla's book. Anyone who relies on that for their info is very naive indeed.

Don´t waste your time, he will keep using Priscilla´s book as a reference anyway, he´s done it for years.... :facep:. Bye for now :smt006.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:56 am

You are ignoring what I sad, like a broken record. What about Red, Marty and Jerry? Only Priscilla you have in mind?

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:01 pm

jurasic1968 on December 7th, 2017, 9:56 am wrote:You are ignoring what I sad, like a broken record. What about Red, Marty and Jerry? Only Priscilla you have in mind?

Not me, you point her book always :wink:. You ignored my opinion about her book too, it´s crap! :smt021. Bye for now :smt006.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:05 pm

Never ever I wrote here that is a masterpiece. But in history you need to check all the sources, even you like it or not. You clearly didn't reply to what I wrote here in the previous posts because you just ignored the facts.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:11 pm

jurasic1968 on December 7th, 2017, 10:05 am wrote:Never ever I wrote here that is a masterpiece. But in history you need to check all the sources, even you like it or not. You clearly didn't reply to what I wrote here in the previous posts because you just ignored the facts.

Yeah you never stated it was a masterpiece but why you keep taking her book as a reference is beyond me... :shock:. Bye for now :smt006.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:24 pm

You don't discuss with me with real arguments. I wrote many posts regarding what the Memphis Mafia members said and you choose to ignore them. Good bye.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:38 pm

jurasic1968 on December 7th, 2017, 10:24 am wrote:You don't discuss with me with real arguments. I wrote many posts regarding what the Memphis Mafia members said and you choose to ignore them. Good bye.

And you ignored "poormadpeter2" recommendation to not believe what Priscilla writes. I´ll be less diplomatic, throw the book away.... :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:10 am

kink56 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:04 pm wrote:That Shindig tribute is very enjoyable. But watching it, it seems more like an obituary, a tribute to days long passed, almost like a lifetime achievement award to someone who has retired.

Looking now, the 5-05-1965 (Wed) broadcast seems like a desperate plea.

"Elvis! Why did you leave us? Please come back, we miss you!"

In this "Shindig!" program, a "Salute to Elvis' 10th Year in Show Business," the majority of the Presley songs performed were hit singles recorded between 1954 and 1961.

That was the guy they were looking for.

Here's a run-down of the entire night:

"Shindig!"
"Salute to Elvis' 10th Year in Show Business"
ABC-TV, Wednesday, May 5, 1965

Opening Medley: Joey Cooper "Blue Suede Shoes" / Darlene Love and the Blossoms "Got A Lot O' Livin' To Do" / Glen Campbell "Big Hunk O' Love" / Wellingtons "I Need Your Love Tonight" / Sonny & Cher "I Got Stung" / Isley Brothers "Hard Headed Woman"

Isley Brothers "Wear My Ring Around Your Neck"
Sonny and Cher "(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear," "All Shook Up," "Treat Me Nice"
Glen Campbell "Trouble," "Surrender"
Ray Peterson "Can't Help Falling in Love," "It's Now or Never," "Heartbreak Hotel"

Linda Gail Lewis "Don't Be Cruel," "Crying in the Chapel"
Willy Nelson "Hound Dog"
Chambers Brothers "Jailhouse Rock"
Cher "Wooden Heart"
Jimmy Boyd "Hot Dog," "Poor Boy"
Darlene Love and the Blossoms "Wear My Ring Around Your Neck," "Shake, Rattle and Roll"

Shindogs "King Creole"
Delaney Bramlett "That's All Right"
Joey Cooper "Mean Woman Blues," "Crawfish"
Wellingtons "Wear My Ring Around Your Neck"
Maria Ghava [Shindig dancer] "Hey Memphis"
Shindig Dancers "Party"

Finale: Joey Cooper "Blue Suede Shoes" [under closing credits]

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:57 am

drjohncarpenter on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:10 am wrote:
kink56 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:04 pm wrote:That Shindig tribute is very enjoyable. But watching it, it seems more like an obituary, a tribute to days long passed, almost like a lifetime achievement award to someone who has retired.

In this "Shindig!" program, a "Salute to Elvis' 10th Year in Show Business," the majority of the Presley songs performed were hit singles recorded between 1954 and 1961.

"Shindig!"

Opening Medley: Joey Cooper "Blue Suede Shoes" / Darlene Love and the Blossoms "Got A Lot O' Livin' To Do" / Glen Campbell "Big Hunk O' Love" / Wellingtons "I Need Your Love Tonight" / Sonny & Cher "I Got Stung" / Isley Brothers "Hard Headed Woman"

Ray Peterson "Can't Help Falling in Love," "It's Now or Never," "Heartbreak Hotel"

Willy Nelson "Hound Dog"
Cher "Wooden Heart"
Darlene Love and the Blossoms "Wear My Ring Around Your Neck," "Shake, Rattle and Roll"

Shindogs "King Creole"
Shindig Dancers "Party"

What seems noticeable to me are the inclusion of the following:

Got A Lot o' Livin' to Do
Wooden Heart
King Creole
Party

Four songs never released as singles in the US, and yet were hits in the unimportant secondary market of the UK.

And let's get this right, the majority of songs are not 1954 to 1961, but 1956 to 1961. You will notice that, if the argument is that the period 1961-1965 is viewed as unimportant because of the lack of songs from that period, then so is the Sun era, which is represented by just one solitary song.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:00 pm

poormadpeter2 on January 10th, 2018, 2:57 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:10 am wrote:

"Shindig!"

Willy Nelson "Hound Dog"
Cher "Wooden Heart"

Shindogs "King Creole"
Shindig Dancers "Party"

What seems noticeable to me are the inclusion of the following:

Wooden Heart
King Creole
Party

Four songs never released as singles in the US, and yet were hits in the unimportant secondary market of the UK.

And let's get this right, the majority of songs are not 1954 to 1961, but 1956 to 1961. You will notice that, if the argument is that the period 1961-1965 is viewed as unimportant because of the lack of songs from that period, then so is the Sun era, which is represented by just one solitary song.

Wooden Heart is a lovely Elvis movie tune! :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:53 pm

Mike Windgren on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:00 pm wrote:Wooden Heart is a lovely Elvis movie tune! :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.

I agree Mike.

Here is a previous post of mine.

Elvis' biggest UK Chart Single.

Released a few months after the 'G.I. Blues' soundtrack album, 'Wooden Heart' (RCA 1226) reached number one for six weeks in the UK (March 1961). It remained on the chart for 27 weeks - the longest reign of any Presley single.

The accordion player on Elvis's recording was 23 year old Jimmie Haskell, arranger / producer for Ricky Nelson from 1957-1965. He played the cow bell on 'Hello Mary Lou'.

The song that 'Wooden Heart' dethroned from the Number #1 spot was 'Walk Right Back' by The Everley Brothers. After 6 weeks at the top 'Blue Moon' by The Marcels did the same to Elvis.

It was the 3rd of four number ones in a row for Elvis ('It's Now Or Never' / 'Are You Lonesome Tonight' / 'Wooden Heart' / 'Surrender') becoming the biggest selling UK single of 1961.

Not released by RCA in the USA until 1964, 21 year old Joe Dowell released his version on Mercury Records Smash label (Smash 1708). It entered the Hot 100 on June 26, 1961. After nine weeks it hit the #1 spot! (August 28, 1961). It would be the highlight of his short musical career. Interestingly Elvis soundalike Ral Donner was Number #5 that same week with 'You Don't Know What You've Got' (it would peak at #4 in September).

Elvis in 1960 showed a mature singer expanding his catalogue. It is no mistake that the HIT recordings after leaving Germany came with a european flavour with songs like 'It's Now Or Never', 'Surrender','Wooden Heart' and 'Can't Help Falling In Love'.

Andy

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:28 pm

Mike Windgren on Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:00 am wrote:
poormadpeter2 on January 10th, 2018, 2:57 am wrote:What seems noticeable to me are the inclusion of the following:

Wooden Heart
King Creole
Party

Wooden Heart is a lovely Elvis movie tune!

Indeed, a clean-cut Elvis Presley, in an army uniform while singing to puppets a song where the lead instrument is an accordion, is just remarkable. It is Sam Phillips' dream come true.

And, for those who miss the details, ALL the Presley songs performed in the "Shindig!" special come from his 7" 45s and 7" EPs. And it is a fact that many of his EPs were hits that appeared on the "Hot 100" as well. This is why they are a part of the show.

And "Wooden Heart" never released as a U.S. single? Wrong.

jurasic1968 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:05 am wrote:Never ever I wrote here that is a masterpiece. But in history you need to check all the sources, even you like it or not. You clearly didn't reply to what I wrote here in the previous posts because you just ignored the facts.

You are quite correct. Although Priscilla Beaulieu's 1985 book is not nearly as accomplished and revelatory as it should have been for someone who spent almost 14 years on an intimate level with Elvis, to completely dismiss her memories is just ignorant. A well-read Presley fan will easily ascertain which parts of her writing are valid and applicable to the historical record.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:38 pm

jetblack on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:53 pm wrote:
Mike Windgren on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:00 pm wrote:Wooden Heart is a lovely Elvis movie tune! :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.

I agree Mike.

Here is a previous post of mine.

Elvis' biggest UK Chart Single.

Released a few months after the 'G.I. Blues' soundtrack album, 'Wooden Heart' (RCA 1226) reached number one for six weeks in the UK (March 1961). It remained on the chart for 27 weeks - the longest reign of any Presley single.

The accordion player on Elvis's recording was 23 year old Jimmie Haskell, arranger / producer for Ricky Nelson from 1957-1965. He played the cow bell on 'Hello Mary Lou'.

The song that 'Wooden Heart' dethroned from the Number #1 spot was 'Walk Right Back' by The Everley Brothers. After 6 weeks at the top 'Blue Moon' by The Marcels did the same to Elvis.

It was the 3rd of four number ones in a row for Elvis ('It's Now Or Never' / 'Are You Lonesome Tonight' / 'Wooden Heart' / 'Surrender') becoming the biggest selling UK single of 1961.

Not released by RCA in the USA until 1964, 21 year old Joe Dowell released his version on Mercury Records Smash label (Smash 1708). It entered the Hot 100 on June 26, 1961. After nine weeks it hit the #1 spot! (August 28, 1961). It would be the highlight of his short musical career. Interestingly Elvis soundalike Ral Donner was Number #5 that same week with 'You Don't Know What You've Got' (it would peak at #4 in September).

Elvis in 1960 showed a mature singer expanding his catalogue. It is no mistake that the HIT recordings after leaving Germany came with a european flavour with songs like 'It's Now Or Never', 'Surrender','Wooden Heart' and 'Can't Help Falling In Love'.

Andy

Its a lovely rendition...thank you for this ..havent heard it for ages....Elvis musical range was so huge...its an old German folk song and very, very popular here and everyone knows Elvis version..thank you, Elvis for this !

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:46 pm

drjohncarpenter on January 10th, 2018, 2:10 am wrote:
Mike Windgren on Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:00 am wrote:
poormadpeter2 on January 10th, 2018, 2:57 am wrote:What seems noticeable to me are the inclusion of the following:

Wooden Heart
King Creole
Party

Wooden Heart is a lovely Elvis movie tune!

Again, that´s why one of the tunes chosen was: Wooden Heart :wink:. A smash hit in a secondary market (U.K), sold by millions! :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.

jetblack on January 10th, 2018, 2:53 pm wrote:Released a few months after the 'G.I. Blues' soundtrack album, 'Wooden Heart' (RCA 1226) reached number one for six weeks in the UK (March 1961). It remained on the chart for 27 weeks - the longest reign of any Presley single

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:49 pm

"Wooden Heart" is a harmless piece of Hollywood fluff from a bygone era.

However, we can be sure Elvis Presley would never have opened any of his shows with an accordion rock out, let alone with two of them! :wink:

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:56 pm

Mike Windgren on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:46 am wrote:Again, that´s why one of the tunes chosen was: Wooden Heart A smash hit in a secondary market (U.K), sold by millions!

"Wooden Heart" was primarily chosen for the "Shindig!" program because it was a summer 1961 U.S. hit for Joe Dowell, making #1 on the Billboard "Hot 100" chart for 8-14-1961, which he jumped upon because of the success of Elvis' song overseas earlier that year. And maybe Cher lobbied for it as her solo number.

According to this site, the U.K. Presley single made #1 on 3-29-1961 and stayed for six weeks total:

http://www.officialcharts.com/search/singles/wooden-heart/

Europe does love its accordion music.

But where may we learn the single "sold by millions"?

In 1961, the total population in the U.K. was about 50 million. So for your statement to be true, it would mean at least one in every twenty-five people living in the U.K. bought a copy of the record. That is very difficult to believe, and no one likes to read made-up stories.

https://www.google.com/search?q=U.K.+population+1961

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:30 pm

elvisalisellers on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:49 pm wrote:"Wooden Heart" is a harmless piece of Hollywood fluff from a bygone era.

However, we can be sure Elvis Presley would never have opened any of his shows with an accordion rock out, let alone with two of them! :wink:

Someone has a thing against accordions. :)

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:58 am

Juan Luis on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:30 pm wrote:
elvisalisellers on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:49 pm wrote:"Wooden Heart" is a harmless piece of Hollywood fluff from a bygone era.

Someone has a thing against accordions. :)

Not anymore. :wink:

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:54 am

drjohncarpenter on January 10th, 2018, 8:56 pm wrote:
Mike Windgren on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:46 am wrote:Again, that´s why one of the tunes chosen was: Wooden Heart A smash hit in a secondary market (U.K), sold by millions!

"Wooden Heart" was primarily chosen for the "Shindig!" program because it was a summer 1961 U.S. hit for Joe Dowell, making #1 on the Billboard "Hot 100" chart for 8-14-1961, which he jumped upon because of the success of Elvis' song overseas earlier that year. And maybe Cher lobbied for it as her solo number.

According to this site, the U.K. Presley single made #1 on 3-29-1961 and stayed for six weeks total:

http://www.officialcharts.com/search/singles/wooden-heart/

Europe does love its accordion music.

In 1961, the total population in the U.K. was about 50 million. So for your statement to be true, it would mean at least one in every twenty-five people living in the U.K. bought a copy of the record. That is very difficult to believe, and no one likes to read made-up stories.

https://www.google.com/search?q=U.K.+population+1961

Millions could be 2 millions too..... :smt005.

If the Beatles sold millions of copies of their singles in the U.K alone, if you look at the link I provide, you will see that Wooden Heart is at position Nº 47 of the Best_Selling singles chart there in the 60´s 8). Just one position below "Magical Mystery Tour" & three positions below "Ticket To Ride".

You´re the Beatles expert on FECC & other websites, did they sell millions of copies of these two songs in the U.K alone?. If not, then their numbers are inflated too! :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... ed_Kingdom

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:49 am

drjohncarpenter on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:56 pm wrote:

"Wooden Heart" was primarily chosen for the "Shindig!" program because it was a summer 1961 U.S. hit for Joe Dowell, making #1 on the Billboard "Hot 100" chart for 8-14-1961, which he jumped upon because of the success of Elvis' song overseas earlier that year.

Now, you're stating that for a fact, so where is your evidence of why it was chosen for the show?

You are telling us that a song was chosen for an Elvis tribute show because it was a hit for someone else. Do you realise how stupid that sounds?

Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:57 am

drjohncarpenter on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:56 pm wrote:

Johnny... go to bed. "Heart" sold approx 800,000 to 1 million in the UK and was a smash hit in various other territories. It would be foolish indeed to dispute that the likelihood is it sold millions plural. Here are a few figures for openers:

Wooden.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.