Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis 1965 USA real sales figures. Amazing

Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:54 pm

On the new FTD there's the accurate Elvis sales for 1965

Re: Elvis 1965 USA real sales figures. Amazing

Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:00 pm

HERE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:58 pm

Was the Rustabout LP not released in the fall of 1964?

Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:17 pm

That is Amazing, especially when knowing what was happening in '65…

Billboard Charts Archive

The Hot 100 - 1965 Archive

http://www.billboard.com/archive/charts/1965/hot-100

Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:39 pm

Not really that amazing. A lot of releases with compiling sales with no real big breakthrough hits. Just a lot of mediocore records with so-so sales. 400-500,000 is considered basically a failure for an Elvis record. This is admitted as much in the fabulous book, Elvis The Illustrated Record. Crying In The Chapel was a legitimate hit and that pushed the sales total a lot for 1965. It was a fluke hit (not to be repeated although tried) and had nothing at all in common with what was happening in '65. A look at the other single & album releases show he was furhter away from current music than at any time in his career. There were no new studio recordings, just awful soundtrack music and recycled songs for single releases. I look at 1965 as a bad year and the start of the real slide in his career artistically despite all these compiled sales. This is the year I remember a lot of my friends stopped buying Elvis records.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:34 pm

r&b wrote: 400-500,000 is considered basically a failure for an Elvis record

I`m not quite sure that "failure" would be the correct language :wink:

Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:43 pm

sweetangeline wrote:

For most artists , no. I think the authors were trying to convey that for Elvis, an artist whose records automatically sold a million each time out in the past, these new figures were considered failures. Most major artists of the day were outselling him. Not totally , but individual releases, head to head were.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:49 pm

r&b wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:

For most artists , no. I think the authors were trying to convey that for Elvis, an artist whose records automatically sold a million each time out in the past, these new figures were considered failures. Most major artists of the day were outselling him. Not totally , but individual releases, head to head were.

And were those major artists celebrating their 10th year in the business? We're not talking about quality but sales. The guy sold 3,5 million singles in the USA...and nearly 2 million albums. And releasing crappy soundtracks...

Note the divorce between sales and chart place. I'd never say tell me why outsold all the other singles. It's clear DJs played I'm yours and easy question on the strength of chapel.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:58 pm

Elvis sales were pretty good considering that he was either releasing bad songs or releasing old dated songs.

Also he had eleven years in the music business by this point.

Most of the brand new music acts that were outselling him with much better material weren't even around ten years later.

Elvis is the only person that could have a top 40 hit with something as bad as Do the Clam.

:wtf:

Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:06 pm

I would also like to point out that you can see how well Elvis' singles charted during 1964-1965.

That has always led me to believe that if he had been recording better material that all his singles that hit the top twenty in 1964-1965 would've hit the top ten.

Disc jockeys were still playing his records so he could have scored some big hits but as was often the case RCA dropped the ball.

What could have been a string of top ten singles ended up not happening.

Damn you RCA. :facep: :wtf:

Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:56 am

3.3 million sales doesn't seem high to me.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:16 am

TheMaskedClown wrote:3.3 million sales doesn't seem high to me.

It is considering the crap he was putting out!

Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:14 pm

Total domestic sales were 5.2 million (3.3 were just singles and Eps).

Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:44 pm

frus75 wrote:

Like I said, when you add it up at the end of the year Elvis is right there with the top sellers. But when you consider this is spread over 7 singles, , then EPs and several LPs, this is all not too impressive. Compiled sales as opposed to real big chart hits. Same thing happened in 1966. 7 more singles appeared selling a 300-400-500 thousand apiece, totalling about 3 million in sales. But really, no big hits. Quantity , not quality.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:06 pm

in the 1964-1967 era were many old songs of Elvis (recorded many years before) released as singles: Kiss me Quick/Suspicion, (Such an)Easy Question,/It Feels so Right, I'm Yours/It's a Long Lonely Highway, Crying in the Chapel/ I Believe in the Man of the Sky, Ain't that Loving You, Baby, Such a Night, Tell Me Why/Blue River, Blue Christmas, Wooden Heart, Santa Claus is back in Town, There's Always Me/Judy, Joshua fit the Battle/Known Only to Him, Milky White Way/Swing Down, Sweet Chariot, That's Someone You never Forget, How Would you Like to Be (what an awful song). Shame that RCA re released this old material, many songs were too dated to be put as singles in this period when in the pop music of the world were so many changes. Yes, it was quantity over quality in these years and Elvis music declined because he didn't record anything new.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:35 pm

frus75 wrote:HERE

Tell Me Why.jpg

Thanks for the post, frus75.

"Tell Me Why" is one of my all-time favorite Elvis recordings.

It's very neat to see that out of the seven Elvis singles released in 1965 in the USA only "Crying In The Chapel" sold more copies than "Tell Me Why".

Tell Me Why b.jpg

Tell Me Why c.jpg

And here's a contemporary review of the single.

The nameless reviewer noticed that the song was "sung with the old fashioned, groaning, rock'n'roll sound which appealed to countless heyday Presley fans", even though he / she was probably unaware of the fact that it was an 8+ year old recording :

660108 a.JPG

660108 b.JPG

Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:53 pm

r&b wrote:
frus75 wrote:

Like I said, when you add it up at the end of the year Elvis is right there with the top sellers. But when you consider this is spread over 7 singles, , then EPs and several LPs, this is all not too impressive. Compiled sales as opposed to real big chart hits. Same thing happened in 1966. 7 more singles appeared selling a 300-400-500 thousand apiece, totalling about 3 million in sales. But really, no big hits. Quantity , not quality.

You are nit picking here, it shows that Elvis could still maintain consistent sales even with questionable recordings and low charting. It is the for runner of what happens today, where Elvis's total annual sales will exceed those of most artists who have high charting hits during the year. An example for instance and note it for the end of year is Streisand, who will likely get a NO1 with her partnership album and receive much alcolade for it and its an achievement not to be sneered at.
However Elvis will still comfortable out sell her with no noticable chart hits. that too is an achievement not to be sneered at.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:28 pm

r&b wrote:Not really that amazing. A lot of releases with compiling sales with no real big breakthrough hits. Just a lot of mediocore records with so-so sales. 400-500,000 is considered basically a failure for an Elvis record. This is admitted as much in the fabulous book, Elvis The Illustrated Record. Crying In The Chapel was a legitimate hit and that pushed the sales total a lot for 1965. It was a fluke hit (not to be repeated although tried) and had nothing at all in common with what was happening in '65. A look at the other single & album releases show he was furhter away from current music than at any time in his career. There were no new studio recordings, just awful soundtrack music and recycled songs for single releases. I look at 1965 as a bad year and the start of the real slide in his career artistically despite all these compiled sales. This is the year I remember a lot of my friends stopped buying Elvis records.

Many of my friends stopped buying Elvis' records too and it seem like DJ's stopped playing Elvis' records as well. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" was heating up the airwaves in July and in October it was "Yesterday" dominating the airwaves. Didn't hear Elvis till Christmas time :smt114

Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:50 pm

EPA4368 wrote:
r&b wrote:Not really that amazing. A lot of releases with compiling sales with no real big breakthrough hits. Just a lot of mediocore records with so-so sales. 400-500,000 is considered basically a failure for an Elvis record. This is admitted as much in the fabulous book, Elvis The Illustrated Record. Crying In The Chapel was a legitimate hit and that pushed the sales total a lot for 1965. It was a fluke hit (not to be repeated although tried) and had nothing at all in common with what was happening in '65. A look at the other single & album releases show he was furhter away from current music than at any time in his career. There were no new studio recordings, just awful soundtrack music and recycled songs for single releases. I look at 1965 as a bad year and the start of the real slide in his career artistically despite all these compiled sales. This is the year I remember a lot of my friends stopped buying Elvis records.

Many of my friends stopped buying Elvis' records too and it seem like DJ's stopped playing Elvis' records as well. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" was heating up the airwaves in July and in October it was "Yesterday" dominating the airwaves. Didn't hear Elvis till Christmas time :smt114

Exactly my point, I was not nit-picking as was stated. I am merely pointing out that yes, Elvis had consistent sales, but it was from his die-hard fan base mosty. Its not that impressive spread over so many releases. You cannot compare the airplay , jukebox spins, ,sales (and material) the Stones, Beatles, Beach Boys were getting for each new release as to say Puppet On A String and Tell Me Why. Who was buying Elvis records? The loyal fan base which always assured a few hundred thousand in sales. If that impresses some fans about 1965, so be it but I bet very few new fans , especially teens were being made from these relases. In reality, the fan base was probably shrinking each year. The sound was old & dated, and honestly , pretty unexciting compared to what others were producing. I am sure Elvis realized this as well.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:32 pm

Mister Moon wrote:

Tell Me Why.jpg

It's very neat to see that out of the seven Elvis singles released in 1965 in the USA only "Crying In The Chapel" sold more copies than "Tell Me Why".

Tell Me Why b.jpg

This review hits the nail on the head - 'hear Elvis as he was back then...', not knowing this was a recording from 1957.

Tell Me Why c.jpg

The nameless reviewer noticed that the song was "sung with the old fashioned, groaning, rock'n'roll sound which appealed to countless heyday Presley fans", even though he / she was probably unaware of the fact that it was an 8+ year old recording :

660108 a.JPG

660108 b.JPG

Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:43 pm

AndrewJ wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Tell Me Why.jpg

Tell Me Why b.jpg

Tell Me Why c.jpg

660108 a.JPG

660108 b.JPG

This review hits the nail on the head - 'hear Elvis as he was back then...', not knowing this was a recording from 1957.

Yes, it's refreshing to see that some people - well, at least that writer - recognized this recording as a gem when it was originally released.

Thanks for the post.

Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:22 pm

This is a great thread, shoulda been with included in the Soundscan discussion.

Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:41 pm

Mister Moon wrote:

Tell Me Why.jpg

Tell Me Why b.jpg

Tell Me Why c.jpg

660108 a.JPG

660108 b.JPG

Much of the success of this single should be attributed to Blue River. :lol:

Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:43 pm

That's why consumers bought the "Double Trouble" Lp as well.

Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:53 pm

minkahed wrote:That's why consumers bought the "Double Trouble" Lp as well.

What about "Old MacDonald"?

Sesame Street Remix!