Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
chop983
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

48 hours to Memphis.

Post by chop983 »

Which version of this concert would you recommend, 48 hours to Memphis or Recorded live on stage in Memphis (Legacy edition)
I'm only interested in the quality of the audio and the additional tracks, price and the full on stage CD don't come into it.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Re: 48 hours to Memphis.

Post by Johnny2523 »

Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis.
But the richmond show sounds exactly the same there as on the 48 hours ftd.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by TINML »

The legacy Memphis release is cheaper than the FTD and has twice the content.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I haven't compared but isn't the "I Got A Woman" repair different on both releases?

Besides that they sound about the same.

You get more focus on the Richmond show with the FTD booklet and presentation, but the Legacy Edition seems a no-brainer considering the cost difference and the extra audio content. You may even prefer the Memphis show mix over the FTD, or at the least enjoy the alternate perspective on it.

Note that the bonus rehearsal songs on the Legacy Edition run too slow, such that the music is a key lower than it should be.

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by TINML »

Matthew wrote:I haven't compared but isn't the "I Got A Woman" repair different on both releases?

You get more focus on the Richmond show with the FTD booklet and presentation, but the Legacy Edition seems a no-brainer considering the cost difference and the extra audio content. You may even prefer the Memphis show mix over the FTD, or at the least enjoy the alternate perspective on it.

Note that the bonus rehearsal songs on the Legacy Edition run too slow, such that the music is a key lower than it should be.
I thought I heard something odd about them, not unlike Hurt take 69 on boots.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

Mike C
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Mike C »

TINML wrote:
Matthew wrote:I haven't compared but isn't the "I Got A Woman" repair different on both releases?

I thought I heard something odd about them, not unlike Hurt take 69 on boots.
Do these tracks run similarly slow on FTD's "From Sunset to Las Vegas"?

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by When In Rome »

It is, you get about 15 seconds more of the original concert on the FTD, however it suffers from a little drop-out right as it returns to the original tape, perhaps this is the reason for the different edit on the Legacy Edition?

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by promiseland »

Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis (2014 Legacy Edition) = more bang for the buck.

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

Re wire recordings and as a matter of random interest : the deluxe LP version of the 1975 UK Sun Sessions release has a Sun advertisement that says they provided wire recordings. Like most, I never queried what this actually meant.
Ok, enough randomness: at ease!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

matilda
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by matilda »

do the rehearsals on the from sunset boulevard to paradise road cd on the old dae boot also run too slow (including twelth of never?).

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

matilda wrote:do the rehearsals on the from sunset boulevard to paradise road cd on the old dae boot also run too slow (including twelth of never?).
Yup...

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by Tony.. »

I sold my "48 hours to Memphis" AND the FTD release of the Memphis show: the sound quality on the Memphis show on the Legacy edition is FAR superior and unedited.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by midnightx »

Tony.. wrote:I sold my "48 hours to Memphis" AND the FTD release of the Memphis show: the sound quality on the Memphis show on the Legacy edition is FAR superior and unedited.
I will take FTD's reverb and Elvis up front in the mix where he belongs.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

I hadn't noticed, as I've skipped the rehearsal tracks whenever I've played the disc. But can't they get anything right? People moan about the lost 2 minutes at the beginning of Elvis on Tour, but seem content to get songs mastered at the wrong speed!

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Well, a 2 minute change at the beginning of Elvis' last film has more weight than a rehearsal. Especially where there is a voice over by Elvis talking about guitars. "Johnny B. Goode" was perfect. Not the throwaway performance that was inserted in it's place.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

poormadpeter wrote:People moan about the lost 2 minutes at the beginning of Elvis on Tour, but seem content to get songs mastered at the wrong speed!
I don't think that anyone is content to get recordings at the wrong speed, I don't think everyone notices to be honest.

And this isn't really comparing apples to apples.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

midnightx wrote:
Tony.. wrote:I sold my "48 hours to Memphis" AND the FTD release of the Memphis show: the sound quality on the Memphis show on the Legacy edition is FAR superior and unedited.
I will take FTD's reverb and Elvis up front in the mix where he belongs.
Same here.
The reverb is genuine as it's the audience mic track turned up.
The FTD mix does it for me and I think it was Rob who told us it got quite close to Elvis real live sound.