One Night - Live, June 24' 1977

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

poormadpeter

Re: One Night - Live, June 24' 1977

Post by poormadpeter »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ICanHelp wrote:I enjoy this version and consider it the "oldies" highlight of the show (along with That's Alright"). What do you all think generally about the 1976-77 versions of That's Alright? I rather enjoy them more than the breakneck speed 1975 and earlier 70s versions of the song. They sound to my ears close to the original vibe.
The last time we heard Elvis deliver "That's All Right" as "close to the original vibe" was on 6-27-1968.
That's not really true. The arrangement in the last years of Elvis's life was relatively close to the original in arrangement with regards to speed and being uncluttered. It was one of the very few oldies that was treated with respect and with a keenness to try to replicate the original feel while updating the sound to incorporate backing vocals etc.

Fabbe
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Fabbe »

poormadpeter wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:It's really sad how people are not allowed to have their own opinions around here. :(
Everyone is allowed to have their opinions.
And then they are bullied and harassed for daring to express a view that doesn't adhere to the FECC gospel.
No, they're not. But they might be told that "I like this" is not the same as "this is great."
I think nobody has the license to TELL people what to think and i know nobody is doing that here.

If he likes the performance, gives him pelature, then he probably thinks the performance is good (or great or fantastic etc.) for his musical taste and sensibility or for whatever his critera.

And of course he can say that !

Even if it would be technically terrible, It's what the performance does to you, how it makes you feel, that makes it good, or bad - to you. You can't measuse feeling.

For example, in this specific case, I think Elvis sings OK at times over the top but OK, the song is delivered.

But I still can't listen it. Why? because I can feel he is sick and all that I get as emotion is pain, and sorrow.
Last edited by Fabbe on Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ICanHelp wrote:I enjoy this version and consider it the "oldies" highlight of the show (along with That's Alright"). What do you all think generally about the 1976-77 versions of That's Alright? I rather enjoy them more than the breakneck speed 1975 and earlier 70s versions of the song. They sound to my ears close to the original vibe.
The last time we heard Elvis deliver "That's All Right" as "close to the original vibe" was on 6-27-1968.
That's not really true. The arrangement in the last years of Elvis's life was relatively close to the original in arrangement with regards to speed and being uncluttered. It was one of the very few oldies that was treated with respect and with a keenness to try to replicate the original feel while updating the sound to incorporate backing vocals etc.
true, - he also went back to Martin guitar if I am not mistaken. Of course the original version didn't have drums etc

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

When That's All Right ceased to be a show opener, and when it was finally returned to, Elvis led it closer in tempo and style to how he used to, "way back when", opening with his acoustic strumming and going from there.

But, like Trying To Get To You from 1977, the result generally sits quite down the scale of "awesomeness".

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Matthew wrote:When That's All Right ceased to be a show opener, and when it was finally returned to, Elvis led it closer in tempo and style to how he used to, "way back when", opening with his acoustic strumming and going from there.

But, like Trying To Get To You from 1977, the result generally sits quite down the scale of "awesomeness".
Indeed, but the song generally got at least a passable performance in a period when not many songs did.

r&b

Post by r&b »

poormadpeter wrote:
Matthew wrote:When That's All Right ceased to be a show opener, and when it was finally returned to, Elvis led it closer in tempo and style to how he used to, "way back when", opening with his acoustic strumming and going from there.

Indeed, but the song generally got at least a passable performance in a period when not many songs did.
It was passable only for the fact that he played on it and slowed it down to what was close to original speed. Now if he only kept that Martin on and ran thru some other Sun songs as a nice lookback to the beginning maybe 1977 would be deemed somewhat decent.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

ICanHelp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The last time we heard Elvis deliver "That's All Right" as "close to the original vibe" was on 6-27-1968.
I meant to write "closer." With that correction, do you disagree with my assessment?
Yes, I disagree.

One of the keys to the "original vibe" is a free and easy, loose feel. The original 1954 Sun single has it, the 1961 performance in Honolulu captures it, and so do his wonderful renditions with Scotty at Burbank in 1968.

Although Elvis cut the tempo and added his acoustic, it is clearly not there. A better arrangement, and a healthier singer, we might be talking differently.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

dannyboy8377
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by dannyboy8377 »

Fabbe wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:It's really sad how people are not allowed to have their own opinions around here. :(
Everyone is allowed to have their opinions.
right. When about musical taste, there is not “right” or “wrong” opinion - only different.
Besides, in rock and roll what counts is the feeling the performer gives you. That’s why we listen to music in the first place right?
If the performance makes you feel good, or gives you the feeling you like, then to you the performance is good. It’s that easy.
Technicians can, of course, identify technical measurable flaws – but even a performance that from a technical perspective is poor, can give you that feeling that makes you like it, and makes it good to you.
Excellent!

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by stevelecher »

He was told he shouldn't do that number anymore, "but you just watch me by God."

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

stevelecher wrote:He was told he shouldn't do that number anymore, "but you just watch me by God."
From heaven to hell man, real quick.... One Niiiiight with youuu

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

mike edwards66
Registered for: 12 years

Post by mike edwards66 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's generally accepted than Tupelo friend and fan Janelle McComb was given the rough CBS video tapes from Elvis circa July 1977, apparently having told her he had no use for them. The clear implication was he either watched and hated them, or did not watch at all. An intelligent person may draw the conclusion he knew how below par these recordings were, in all respects.
An even more intelligent person may well question the veracity of Tupelo friend and fan Janelle McComb's uncorroborated account. Especially, in light of the fact, that some feel she may well have exaggerated on the extent of her relationship with Presley.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Both people have now passed on, so we cannot ask them for confirmation of this event, but the surfacing of rough CBS video tapes came about ten years later. If anyone is going to challenge the obvious connection here, put up a plausible explanation or move on.
Yeah, move on, there's nothing to see here. Apart from some Elvis scholars attempting to rewrite the Presley history.

Tony C wrote:What's your theory then?
Glad you asked, let's speculate to accumulate.

A short time after Elvis' death, Tupelo friend and fan Janelle McComb would have gone to Graceland, probably to visit with Vernon. She may well have taken along one of her 'poems', in the sincere hope that her poetic-wordings would bring some comfort to Vernon, in his time of grief.

Whilst there, she took the opportunity to ask for a memento of Presley, something to remember him by. Vernon said....... 'sure, take some little thing, it's what my son would have wanted'. Tupelo friend and fan Janelle McComb said........'oh, is it okay if I take these tapes'.......

Vernon, nodding in the affirmative, replied........................'I have no use for them'........
Last edited by mike edwards66 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by rickeap »

That's all Right is much better in EIC than the early 70s, and I very much like his performance of trying to get to You, if that's allowed by those who think they know better.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

rickeap wrote:That's all Right is much better in EIC than the early 70s, and I very much like his performance of trying to get to You, if that's allowed by those who think they know better.
Why purposely try to create an issue where there isn't one?

No one has said anyone is not allowed to like something.

It really is annoying that a few cannot grasp this and continue to try and confuse matters with such interjections.

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by paulsweeney »

How many times can the same thing be said over and over again by a handful of people. Time to shut this sucker down and tell us how (deleted - see guideline #2) 1976 was. Then we can work our way back to 1954.

Sent from my rotary dial party line phone

drjohncarpenter

Matthew wrote:
rickeap wrote:That's all Right is much better in EIC than the early 70s, and I very much like his performance of trying to get to You, if that's allowed by those who think they know better.

It really is annoying that a few cannot grasp this and continue to try and confuse matters with such interjections.
This is what he does. :smt023

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

mike edwards66 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Both people have now passed on, so we cannot ask them for confirmation of this event, but the surfacing of rough CBS video tapes came about ten years later. If anyone is going to challenge the obvious connection here, put up a plausible explanation or move on.
Yeah, move on, there's nothing to see here.
Indeed, this is your MO. Argue someone else's point, and offer absolutely nothing else.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

rickeap

Post by rickeap »

Matthew wrote:

The problem is that some opinions become a bit overbearing and those with a conflicting view feel put down.

rickeap

Post by rickeap »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:

And sadly this is what you do.

drjohncarpenter

rickeap wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Glad you admit the truth about your behavior here, finally.

As for your retort, you are, of course, mistaken.

Here is a small example of what I do:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=69

Match that. :smt023

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

Always liked that bluesy rehearsal version from July '70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

I think the most rushed version of the song it's from New York June 1972.

r&b

Post by r&b »

jurasic1968 wrote:I think the most rushed version of the song it's from New York June 1972.
Like all 50's classics, he wanted to get thru them as quickly as possible.

rickeap

Post by rickeap »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rickeap wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Glad you admit the truth about your behavior here, finally.

As for your retort, you are, of course, mistaken.

Here is a small example of what I do:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=69

Match that. :smt023
I would never in my life try to match you. I wouldn't want to embarrass myself in such a way.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Lonely Summer wrote:The problem with those early 70's versions of That's All Right is the tempo, feels rushed. A good example is to compare the rehearsal version seen in TTWII SE with the way he does it on stage later in the film.
Vocally those 1970 performances are in a whole other universe away from the tepid, wavering vocals from 1976 and 1977.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Matthew wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:The problem with those early 70's versions of That's All Right is the tempo, feels rushed. A good example is to compare the rehearsal version seen in TTWII SE with the way he does it on stage later in the film.
Vocally those 1970 performances are in a whole other universe away from the tepid, wavering vocals from 1976 and 1977.
I agree, but i think what lonely summer is trying to say is that everything comes together rather better in the later versions, with the tempo not to much rushed, elvis on acoustic and the backing vocals to kind of give a modern take on the song. Like in a complete picture kind of way. I do love the 1970 version, and 1972 MSG version. But i agree that the tempo feels rushed. I to prefer later versions, not because they are better but because of the complete picture of the song, but the vocals indeed were better in the early 70's.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets