Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"One Sided Love Affair" acetate ?

Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:03 pm

This is a bizarre item currently for sale on eBay. It's advertised as having been pressed the 50s, but it's clearly not (the label has a zip code in it !).

But still it would be interesting to learn what's this all about.

Why was this disc pressed ? Who was Millie E. Napier ? Is this a fake item ?

One Sided Love Affair.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MILLIE-NAPIER-ELVIS-BILL-CAMPBELL-RARE-ACETATE-ONE-SIDED-LOVE-AFFAIR-/371127592227?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item5668eda523
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: "One Sided Love Affair" acetate ?

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:05 am

A similar, non-Elvis related, record on the same label (apparently, different seller) :

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/45-RPM-Promo-phonograph-Records-Nashville-Rolling-Down-The-Line-Wayne-Wilson/311061602504?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140620075055%26meid%3D40ddb46f419640ae9c8aba2e8f1be159%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D20140620075055%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D261510630521

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:17 am

Mister Moon wrote:This is a bizarre item currently for sale on eBay. It's advertised as having been pressed the 50s, but it's clearly not (the label has a zip code in it !).

But still it would be interesting to learn what's this all about.

Why was this disc pressed ? Who was Millie E. Napier ? Is this a fake item ?

eBay promo disc.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MILLIE-NAPIER-ELVIS-BILL-CAMPBELL-RARE-ACETATE-ONE-SIDED-LOVE-AFFAIR-/371127592227

It's an interesting item.

One Sided Love Affair sheet music.JPG

If legitimate it had to be pressed in January 1956 in order for Steve Sholes to send it to Elvis on January 17:

560117_Sholes letter.JPG

However, usually such demo acetates are of the 12" 78 rpm variety, and this is a 45 rpm. And you are correct about the zip code eliminating it from being circa 1956. The five-digit type came into use circa 1967.

In addition, the only Promo Records label I could find was out of New York, which released a handful of R&B singles in 1960-1961:

Promo Records - Label Discography
http://www.45cat.com/label/promo

Millie Napier can be assumed to be the singer on the disc. Another guy, George H. Collins, is found attached to some other undated Promo Records out of Nashville here:

http://www.songpoemmusic.com/labels/promo.htm

My guess is this disc has nothing to do with the Elvis recording, perhaps being someone's later attempt to re-record it, perhaps a completely unrelated song pressed up for personal use.

BONUS INFORMATION

Presley songwriter Bill Campbell placed about 32 numbers with BMI:

http://repertoire.bmi.com/writer.asp?fromrow=1&torow=25&keyname=CAMPBELL%20BILL

His biggest success came about a month before Elvis recorded "One Sided Love Affair":

551015_Atlantic 1075.jpg

phpBB [video]

LaVerne Baker and the Gliders "Play It Fair" (Atlantic 1075, October 15, 1955)
Billboard R&B "Most Played in Juke Boxes" #2, December 10, 1955

After being honored by BMI for this hit, Campbell seemed to disappear. What happened to him, one wonders.

Billboard - Feb 02 1957 p47.JPG
Billboard - February 2, 1957
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:58 am

Doc, thank you very much for this great post.

It's interesting that the seller does mention Bill Campbell's name, so I guess you're right about it being possibly a re-recording of the song. It would be nice to listen to this disc.

Also, very interesting information about Campbell. It's indeed an obscure name, and I had never related him to LaVern Baker's "Play It Fair", even though it's a record I've known and admired for many years. Very cool information !

As an additional bit of data, "Play It Fair" was recorded by LaVern Baker on July 14, 1955, in New York City. She was backed by a band led by the great tenor saxophonist Sam "The Man" Taylor.

Again, many thanks for sharing all of this time-consuming research. I really appreciate it.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:11 am

Mister Moon wrote:Doc, thank you very much for this great post.

It's interesting that the seller does mention Bill Campbell's name, so I guess you're right about it being possibly a re-recording of the song. It would be nice to listen to this disc.

Also, very interesting information about Campbell. It's indeed an obscure name, and I had never related him to LaVern Baker's "Play It Fair", even though it's a record I've known and admired for many years. Very cool information !

As an additional bit of data, "Play It Fair" was recorded by LaVern Baker on July 14, 1955, in New York City. She was backed by a band led by the great tenor saxophonist Sam "The Man" Taylor.

Again, many thanks for sharing all of this time-consuming research. I really appreciate it.

My pleasure, your great posts deserve the attention.

BTW, it is possible the eBay seller is being less than truthful in order to sell what might otherwise be considered a worthless piece of vinyl.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Doc, thank you very much for this great post.

My pleasure, your great posts deserve the attention.

BTW, it is possible the eBay seller is being less than truthful in order to sell what might otherwise be considered a worthless piece of vinyl.

Thanks for your kind words.

Yes, the seller doesn't appear to be very truthful - he says the song "was a huge hit for Elvis"...

It would have sufficed to say it had been recorded by Elvis, or included on Elvis' debut album...

By the way, I have just remembered that there's a Johnny Burnette recording of an unrelated song called "One Sided Love Affair" too. It's a demo recording from 1960, which was released for the first time in 1980. As far as I know, the author of this song has not been identified :

phpBB [video]

http://www.discogs.com/Johnny-Dorsey-Burnette-Together-Again/release/2267253

Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:42 am

This is what's known as a song-poem record, many of the shady companies were in operation in the 60s; they solicited original poems to be set to music with promises of fame and fortune, but most were outright scams as they kept asking for more $ from the aspiring songwriter for promotion. They would press up a small quantity of the finished record, usually rush recorded by hack singers. This is an acetate that would have been sent to the writer for approval. Unless we can hear it to be sure, I'd bet it is a different tune with the same title. Most of these kinds of records are awful, but there is a cult following for this strange genre. Thew label style is from the mid to late 60s, typical of the Promo empire.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:10 pm

dougpoindexter wrote:This is what's known as a song-poem record, many of the shady companies were in operation in the 60s; they solicited original poems to be set to music with promises of fame and fortune, but most were outright scams as they kept asking for more $ from the aspiring songwriter for promotion. They would press up a small quantity of the finished record, usually rush recorded by hack singers. This is an acetate that would have been sent to the writer for approval. Unless we can hear it to be sure, I'd bet it is a different tune with the same title. Most of these kinds of records are awful, but there is a cult following for this strange genre. Thew label style is from the mid to late 60s, typical of the Promo empire.

Many thanks for this additional information, dougpoindexter.

It sure would be nice to listen to the record. Regardless of the song being the same or not, one thing is for sure : the seller knows his stuff, as the mention of "Bill Campbell" proves (the name is not written on the label).

On the other hand, it wouldn't make much sense to re-record a non-hit song around ten years after it was first tried - and this song would hardly be a candidate for a hit in the mid-60s, anyway.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:08 pm

Thanks for this topic, Mister Moon, wonderful !

I go along with everything that's said so far.

When someone sells something on ebay and doesn't give the correct info or not enough of it, i became sceptical.

Bill Campbell is certainly one of the obscure figures in the Elvis saga...i was never sure if Elvis' cut of "One-Sided Love Affair" was a cover or an original song, there just seemed to be lack of info on it.

When the book "Writing For The King" came out and they released Demo's of some of the songs i always wondered about "One-Sided" Demo.

Thanks for posting the Burnette song (though a diff song) i'd not heard that before and liked it very much.

Thanks again Mister Moon and Doc for the additional info.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:31 pm

Glorious post -- many thanks to all contributors.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:52 pm

You're welcome, mystery and George.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:58 pm

Mister Moon wrote:It sure would be nice to listen to the record. Regardless of the song being the same or not, one thing is for sure : the seller knows his stuff, as the mention of "Bill Campbell" proves (the name is not written on the label).

What the seller seems to know is by mentioning Bill Campbell in connection with this record, he may be able to sell it to a hapless Presley collector.

You put "One Sided Love Affair" into a Google search and both Elvis and Bill Campbell are part of the first entry.