Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"The only white man who can really sing the blues" - 1958

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:57 pm

I recently found this article, published October 1958, on rock and roll disc-jockey Alan Freed. It's based around an interview with the man himself, where he talks about several aspects of the music, especially the connection between rock and roll and juvenile delinquency. It's a very interesting piece.

Of course, he also gives his views on Elvis. Don't miss them !

PS - Anybody knows the name of the vocal group pictured in page 23 of the article ?

01.jpg

02.jpg

03-.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: "The only white man who can really sing the blues" - 195

Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:39 am

Nice post -- can't help you with your query, I'm afraid.

Freed was just a year away from his demise.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:28 am

Thanks Mr. Moon, for digging up yet another interesting article. It must be time consuming, so i appreciate the all the more. (i hope you understand what i am trying to say, my english isn't perfect.)

Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:45 am

George Smith wrote:Nice post -- can't help you with your query, I'm afraid.

Freed was just a year away from his demise.

My pleasure, George. For all his contributions to the music, Freed sure lived a very sad ending.

As for the photo in page 23, it's hard to distinguish who is pictured, but I thought maybe somebody could know the image from a different, captioned, source. It looks like a quartet, and the member at left is black, while maybe some of the other members are white. If that's true, they could be The Del-Vikings, one of the few integrated vocal groups of the era. But maybe they all are black, and it's just a visual effect only. Then it's much more difficult to know who they are, as Freed was associated with so many vocal groups. If only we could know the date of the photo, then it would be much easier. Thanks for your valuable help.

epf wrote:Thanks Mr. Moon, for digging up yet another interesting article. It must be time consuming, so i appreciate the all the more. (i hope you understand what i am trying to say, my english isn't perfect.)

Glad you liked it, epf.

My time is not so important right now - I'm on vacation !

I understand your posts perfectly. My English is not perfect, either. But we all speak the same language, isn't it ?

Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:45 am

I found out who the group in the photo is.

They are The Pastels, who recorded four singles between 1957 and 1958, the last three of them for one of Chess Records' subsidiaries, Argo Records.

Thanks to Marv Goldberg's priceless website, where the above photo appears credited and dated :

http://www.uncamarvy.com/Pastels/pastels.html#Argo

Pastels.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:26 am

Mister Moon wrote:I found out who the group in the photo is.

They are The Pastels, who recorded four singles between 1957 and 1958, the last three of them for one of Chess Records' subsidiaries, Argo Records.

Thanks to Marv Goldberg's priceless website, where the above photo appears credited and dated :

http://www.uncamarvy.com/Pastels/pastels.html#Argo

There's a decent indie band from Glasgow who call themselves the Pastels, they've been around for 33 years.

The Pastels
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pastels

Here's perhaps the best known single from the 1950s New York doo-wop group:

580106_Argo 5287.JPG

phpBB [video]

Pastels "Been So Long" (Argo 5287, January 6, 1958)
Billboard Pop Best Selling Pop Singles In Stores" #25, March 10, 1958, "Most Played R&B By Jockeys" #4, April 21, 1958

Argo was a subsidiary of Chess Records.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:09 pm

Thanks Doc. Now that you mention this, I seem to remember having read about this Scottish band.

It's funny, because in English language the word "pastel" refers to a type of color. In Spanish language, it has the same meaning, but it's also an equivalent of "cake" : "birthday cake" = "pastel de cumpleaƱos". So, it sounds a bit weird as the name of a band. :)

I have "Been So Long" by the 50s Pastels in a compilation of Chess doo wop, but I didn't know it had been a hit. Nice to learn about this.