Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Why Did Ronnie Tutt Leave Elvis?

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:53 pm

Why did Ronnie Tutt Leave Elvis after being with him for so many years and left three days before the June 1977 tour ended

Re: Why Did Ronnie Tutt Leave Elvis?

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:00 pm

1015elvis wrote:Why did Ronnie Tutt Leave Elvis after being with him for so many years and left three days before the June 1977 tour ended

He didn't leave.. he was off-duty because one of his relatives died at the time.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:04 pm

Ok thanks Johnny I have read before that he finally came to his senses and just left but if I knew Ronnie he would have waited until after the tour to leave but now it makes more sense

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:36 pm

1015elvis wrote:Ok thanks Johnny I have read before that he finally came to his senses and just left but if I knew Ronnie he would have waited until after the tour to leave but now it makes more sense

Of course, Tutt did indeed quit the band in February 1976, along with Burton and Hardin.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:05 pm

And yet john they still came back except for hardin

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:18 pm

1015elvis wrote:And yet john they still came back except for hardin

Money talks.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:22 pm

midnightx wrote:
1015elvis wrote:And yet john they still came back except for hardin

Money talks.

Correct. Burton returned in time for the March tour. Tutt held out longer, but was back for the April tour.

Money trumps lackluster stage shows by a depressed, disengaged artist.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:03 am

In Burton's case, it is more appropriate to say he took a hard negotiating stand. To my knowledge, he's never been quoted as saying he "quit." He may have used Hardin and Tutt as leverage, but he never missed a show. Tutt's never admitted it, either. Some of this had to do with lack of communication over schedules. They were given very short notice about tours and recording dates. And, Elvis was becoming undependable. The February 1976 sessions started late, and the core players had to leave early. There had to have been some friction over that gig.

With Hardin, it wasn't about the money, and that's why he went away for good.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:28 am

elvisjock wrote:In Burton's case, it is more appropriate to say he took a hard negotiating stand. To my knowledge, he's never been quoted as saying he "quit." He may have used Hardin and Tutt as leverage, but he never missed a show. Tutt's never admitted it, either. Some of this had to do with lack of communication over schedules. They were given very short notice about tours and recording dates. And, Elvis was becoming undependable. The February 1976 sessions started late, and the core players had to leave early. There had to have been some friction over that gig.

All three had gigged with Emmylou Harris in December, as part of the "Hot Band," and that was the plan in February after the Graceland sessions. Whether their collective adios soon turned into a "hard negotiating stand" for Burton is unclear.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:In Burton's case, it is more appropriate to say he took a hard negotiating stand. To my knowledge, he's never been quoted as saying he "quit." He may have used Hardin and Tutt as leverage, but he never missed a show. Tutt's never admitted it, either. Some of this had to do with lack of communication over schedules. They were given very short notice about tours and recording dates. And, Elvis was becoming undependable. The February 1976 sessions started late, and the core players had to leave early. There had to have been some friction over that gig.

All three had gigged with Emmylou Harris in December, as part of the "Hot Band," and that was the plan in February after the Graceland sessions. Whether their collective adios soon turned into a "hard negotiating stand" for Burton is unclear.

Emmylou would have been crazy not to try and steal Elvis' guys. These were professional musicians, and as such, they regularly played with other artists. Tutt spent a good part of 1975 on the road with Jerry Garcia. They'd also played with Emmylou (and Gram Parsons) some time earlier. It was more about money than art, which is fine. Tutt came back for money. James stayed for money. They had mouths to feed.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:06 am

Was Ronnie returning for the (not-to-be) August 1977 tour?

Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:57 pm

I thought yes. Just from recollection though.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:47 pm

1015elvis wrote:Why did Ronnie Tutt Leave Elvis after being with him for so many years(...)

"(It) came about not because of another man or another woman but because of the circumstances involving my career. I was traveling too much. I was gone too much." - Elvis. :lol:

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:39 pm

Watching Elvis's decline must have been heartbreaking for them. It's amazing they stayed as long as they did. But they also have plenty of wonderful memories as well.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:00 pm

JimmyCool wrote:
1015elvis wrote:Why did Ronnie Tutt Leave Elvis after being with him for so many years(...)

"(It) came about not because of another man or another woman but because of the circumstances involving my career. I was traveling too much. I was gone too much." - Elvis. :lol:

''Maybe it's to late, but i sometimes even hate myself for loving you... trying to be strong when night time comes along and i start wanting you.... wanting you.. listen ronnie'' :smt003

Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:36 pm

EPA4368 wrote:Watching Elvis's decline must have been heartbreaking for them. It's amazing they stayed as long as they did. But they also have plenty of wonderful memories as well.

that is a nice meaningful photo.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:53 pm

Aussie Jan wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:Watching Elvis's decline must have been heartbreaking for them. It's amazing they stayed as long as they did. But they also have plenty of wonderful memories as well.

that is a nice meaningful photo.

Esposito added a lot to the music.