Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Presley and Streisand Duet. CD Out In Sept.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:35 pm

Barbra Streisand to duet with the late Elvis Presley on new album Partners

By Iona Kirby for MailOnline

Published: 23:29 EST, 11 August 2014 | Updated: 05:32 EST, 12 August 2014

Barbra Streisand is teaming up with the late great Elvis Presley for her new album.

The singer has announced the upcoming release of Partners, which will be made up entirely of duets.

And thanks to the wonders of modern technology, Barbra will team up with the King Of Rock And Roll for a rendition of Love Me Tender, according to ABC News.

Read more here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... z3B8x7qHHt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Presley and Striesand Duet. CD Out In Sept.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:36 pm

I wonder which LMT vocal they will use. The 1956 single, the 1968 comeback special version or a live take from 1969/1970.

Re: Presley and Streisand Duet. CD Out In Sept.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:38 pm

This is a little creepy.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:52 pm

I didn't think they even liked it each other. Never been a fan of fake duets, BUT LMT? Of all songs they pick LMT?! Sony should have a song list of classic songs that can never be used by other artists for "duets". Rant over.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:58 pm

Juan Luis wrote:I didn't think they even liked it each other. Never been a fan of fake duets, BUT LMT? Of all songs they pick LMT?! Sony should have a song list of classic songs that can never be used by other artists for "duets". Rant over.

It's worth saying, though, that many duets are "fake" these days, and have been for years. Sinatra might have been an active participant in his duets albums in 1993, but all he did was record new full solo versions of each song and then let other people record their parts later and cut and paste them together - a bootleg called "Solos" contains the full Sinatra versions. Streisand recorded a track for that project, but never recorded in the studio with Sinatra any more than she recorded with Elvis. Just because one duet partner was alive at the time doesn't mean it's any less "fake" really.

Even going back to the 1950s, Rosemary Clooney recorded an album with Duke Ellington and his orchestra, but they never met in the studio. I'm sure there are many other examples.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:05 pm

poormadpeter wrote:It's worth saying, though, that many duets are "fake" these days, and have been for years. Sinatra might have been an active participant in his duets albums in 1993, but all he did was record new full solo versions of each song and then let other people record their parts later and cut and paste them together - a bootleg called "Solos" contains the full Sinatra versions. Streisand recorded a track for that project, but never recorded in the studio with Sinatra any more than she recorded with Elvis. Just because one duet partner was alive at the time doesn't mean it's any less "fake" really.

Even going back to the 1950s, Rosemary Clooney recorded an album with Duke Ellington and his orchestra, but they never met in the studio. I'm sure there are many other examples.

This is true, but at least in this scenario all the artists are aware of what's going on, have signed off on it, and the vocal performances are from about the same time period.

Elvis has been dead for 37 years, and any Love Me Tender vocal used is much older.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:17 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:I didn't think they even liked it each other. Never been a fan of fake duets, BUT LMT? Of all songs they pick LMT?! Sony should have a song list of classic songs that can never be used by other artists for "duets". Rant over.

It's worth saying, though, that many duets are "fake" these days, and have been for years. Sinatra might have been an active participant in his duets albums in 1993, but all he did was record new full solo versions of each song and then let other people record their parts later and cut and paste them together - a bootleg called "Solos" contains the full Sinatra versions. Streisand recorded a track for that project, but never recorded in the studio with Sinatra any more than she recorded with Elvis. Just because one duet partner was alive at the time doesn't mean it's any less "fake" really.

With Elvis (during his lifetime) at least two ladies had duets with the song "The First Time Ever I Saw your Face". I am sure Elvis heard the recordings even if he was not there when the other voices were added. Obviously Elvis nor Felton liked (or prohibited by management) the performances and were never released. Like Frank Sinatra. Elvis knew they were happening. So there was a connection albeit not physical in person.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:40 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but while I believe the 68 version of LMT is definitive would it not be impossible to use as the track was recorded in Mono? The only way would be to use Elvis' slightly dated arrangement and just drop Babs' vocal at different points in the recording, am I right?

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:48 pm

Not a fan of duets, or re-mixes.Think his music should be left alone

.....but I don't particularly care for LMT either;-)

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:54 pm

TINML wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but while I believe the 68 version of LMT is definitive would it not be impossible to use as the track was recorded in Mono? The only way would be to use Elvis' slightly dated arrangement and just drop Babs' vocal at different points in the recording, am I right?

Well, they have taken mono tracks before to create duets. Like in the case of Blue Christmas from '68 Comeback Special
phpBB [video]

I'm not a big fan of these so called duets. The Xmas Duets album was for the most part absolutely dreadful. Wish they would leave the original recordings alone.

Re: Presley and Striesand Duet. CD Out In Sept.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:05 pm

Mike C wrote:I wonder which LMT vocal they will use. The 1956 single, the 1968 comeback special version or a live take from 1969/1970.

Most likely the 1956 single.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:12 pm

The 1956 single originates from a 3-track recording so arguably is easier to work with than trying to manipulate a mixed, mono source.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:21 pm

Marko wrote:
TINML wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but while I believe the 68 version of LMT is definitive would it not be impossible to use as the track was recorded in Mono? The only way would be to use Elvis' slightly dated arrangement and just drop Babs' vocal at different points in the recording, am I right?

Well, they have taken mono tracks before to create duets. Like in the case of Blue Christmas from '68 Comeback Special
phpBB [video]

I'm not a big fan of these so called duets. The Xmas Duets album was for the most part absolutely dreadful. Wish they would leave the original recordings alone.

Yes I'm aware but in this case they took a timeless arrangement and just dropped Martina's vocal into certain parts. Barbara's would be much harder to do with a dated arrangement and all of those instruments on one track.

FWIW, I liked this duet and wish it had been used on the LP itself.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:23 pm

So Babs sees herself in the washed up, end stage of her career, a la Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett, where she wants to do a duets project? I think it's kind of sad.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:23 pm

TINML wrote:with a dated arrangement and all of those instruments on one track.

They're not all on one track.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:32 pm

Please don't shoot me but I really like the LMT duet on Viva Elvis CD. Not sure who the female vocal is but it blends well imo. Based on that I'd assume they would use the 56 vocal. Can't Stand Streisand though! I wouldn't let her anywhere near.

Cheers

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:35 pm

Matthew wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:It's worth saying, though, that many duets are "fake" these days, and have been for years. Sinatra might have been an active participant in his duets albums in 1993, but all he did was record new full solo versions of each song and then let other people record their parts later and cut and paste them together - a bootleg called "Solos" contains the full Sinatra versions. Streisand recorded a track for that project, but never recorded in the studio with Sinatra any more than she recorded with Elvis. Just because one duet partner was alive at the time doesn't mean it's any less "fake" really.

This is true, but at least in this scenario all the artists are aware of what's going on, have signed off on it, and the vocal performances are from about the same time period.

Elvis has been dead for 37 years, and any Love Me Tender vocal used is much older.

That is true, but I'm just commenting on the "fake" aspect.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:40 pm

stevelecher wrote:So Babs sees herself in the washed up, end stage of her career, a la Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett, where she wants to do a duets project? I think it's kind of sad.

Bennett might be at the tail end of his career, but he's hardly washed up - and neither was Sinatra. In fact, Bennett sounds barely any different to forty years ago. It's a way of getting yourself out there to a wider audience. For Bennett and Sinatra it paid dividends, both financially and getting their music heard by people who wouldn't normally hear it. And Bennett's album with Lady Gaga is out in a month.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:52 pm

Duetting on a well known song isn't going to get Elvis or Streisand more fans.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:54 pm

Matthew wrote:
TINML wrote:with a dated arrangement and all of those instruments on one track.

They're not all on one track.

Care to explain further?

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:06 pm

I would prefer the '68 version. Or a good Live Version from the 70s. She did well in her 1994 Concert at NYC in an electronic duet with Marlon Brando on "I know..." or what was the song called?

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:16 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:So Babs sees herself in the washed up, end stage of her career, a la Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett, where she wants to do a duets project? I think it's kind of sad.

Bennett might be at the tail end of his career, but he's hardly washed up - and neither was Sinatra. In fact, Bennett sounds barely any different to forty years ago. It's a way of getting yourself out there to a wider audience. For Bennett and Sinatra it paid dividends, both financially and getting their music heard by people who wouldn't normally hear it. And Bennett's album with Lady Gaga is out in a month.

And it will be very real , no fakes. They really like each other and had a blast working in the studio together. Duets work right when the chemistry is there and it isnt electronically faked. I would give the Bennett album a listen. Will pass on Babs.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:50 pm

TINML wrote:Care to explain further?

I did already. As mentioned above, the Love Me Tender single derives from the 3-track recording.

This is why we have stereo versions from that session, which was recorded to 3-track optical film.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:56 pm

Matthew wrote:
TINML wrote:Care to explain further?

I did already. As mentioned above, the Love Me Tender single derives from the 3-track recording.

This is why we have stereo versions from that session, which was recorded to 3-track optical film.

No the mono recording I referenced was the one done in 68 for the NBC special. I know we have the 56 master in Stereo.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:59 pm

TINML wrote:No the mono recording I referenced was the one done in 68 for the NBC special. I know we have the 56 master in Stereo.

Understood, in that case yes, there is only the live mono recordings for Love Me Tender from 1968.