Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Final Countdown - Your favorite scenes

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:15 pm

Hi out there,

I just finished the DVD of this brilliant set. Here are my favorite scenes and I would like to know which are/were yours:

- close up during "Mountain" - a true moment of the acting genius Elvis on stage
- end of "Funny" as he wished everybody in the auditorium a fine 77
- Auld Lang Syne - very emotional moment of the concert
- grabbing the teddy bear from an audience member and tossing it to his daughter Lisa
- rolling on his back during the reprise of "Hurt"

Cheers,
Jimbo

Re: Final Countdown - Your favorite scenes

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:20 pm

His karate ending after chfil. Possibly the last time Elvis performed karate moves in concert...

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:29 pm

The handshakes he gives to his back up members during CHFIL... "Take my hand"...

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:44 pm

The dogfight scene.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:32 pm

JohanD wrote:The handshakes he gives to his back up members during CHFIL... "Take my hand"...

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:24 pm

The pre-show montage of the city of Pittsburgh from a fan's hotel window was incredibly exciting.

;-)

Seriously, one of my favorite moments of any Elvis show was watching him take the stage, and there's a decent edit job done on this from maybe 4 different fan films.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:13 pm

The pre-show montage of the city of Pittsburgh from a fan's hotel window was incredibly exciting.

I couldn't agree more with you Doc. Several areas were very familiar for me, but there were a few areas that I still couldn't tell. I actually thought yours would have been the mentioning of all the fans who filmed and recorded the show to make the dvd even a possibility. All kidding aside, I agree with you that for me, seeing Elvis come on stage was a favorite scene for me. I watched it several times and just seeing how amazing and exciting it was when he came on stage.

The other few highlights for me, I posted on another thread but they would be these moments:

One of the cool things with this release I found was from the new footage that shows Elvis concluding Funny How Time Slips Away. He must have wanted some notification from Charlie that it was midnight. And as he is concluding Funny How Time Slips Away, you hear Charlie yelling "Happy New Year". I never heard this on previous releases until now. It almost seems to rush Elvis to wrap the song up immediately to start Auld Lang Syne. Also with the new clearer footage you can see Charlie making a drum roll motion with his hands to apparently cue Ron Tutt to start Auld Lang Syne.

Furthermore it seems that before Elvis started Are You Lonesome Tonight, a group of people including Bob Heis begin singing Happy Birthday to Elvis. This was definitely cut on every release I have heard.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:04 am

i like the Liberty Bell presentation``! :D

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:25 am

DJL wrote:

I couldn't agree more with you Doc. Several areas were very familiar for me, but there were a few areas that I still couldn't tell. I actually thought yours would have been the mentioning of all the fans who filmed and recorded the show to make the dvd even a possibility. All kidding aside, I agree with you that for me, seeing Elvis come on stage was a favorite scene for me. I watched it several times and just seeing how amazing and exciting it was when he came on stage.

The other few highlights for me, I posted on another thread but they would be these moments:

One of the cool things with this release I found was from the new footage that shows Elvis concluding Funny How Time Slips Away. He must have wanted some notification from Charlie that it was midnight. And as he is concluding Funny How Time Slips Away, you hear Charlie yelling "Happy New Year". I never heard this on previous releases until now. It almost seems to rush Elvis to wrap the song up immediately to start Auld Lang Syne. Also with the new clearer footage you can see Charlie making a drum roll motion with his hands to apparently cue Ron Tutt to start Auld Lang Syne.

Furthermore it seems that before Elvis started Are You Lonesome Tonight, a group of people including Bob Heis begin singing Happy Birthday to Elvis. This was definitely cut on every release I have heard.

It was probably not cut, just not captured on the known audio tape. The moment may come from original sound captured on one of the Super 8 films.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:29 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The pre-show montage of the city of Pittsburgh from a fan's hotel window was incredibly exciting.

;-)

Seriously, one of my favorite moments of any Elvis show was watching him take the stage, and there's a decent edit job done on this from maybe 4 different fan films.

I like that moment as well. From the time he came out of those curtains and gracing that stage as if he owned it. That is a wonderful moment to see right there. Elvis may of be over weight but he did looked alot better than he did of most of 1976. Even seeing him leaving the stage. Saying goodbye to those fans, again a wonderful moment. Perhaps his last. He seemed to be at ease with himself during that show. He seemed like he may of been off those drugs for a bit. He may not of been the cat that he was in 1970 Vegas but he was a damn tiger for sure there.

Editing job I would also agree with. a decent job with it. I think it is 4 different fan films. Two are close by to each other. It is a slightly different angle. But not much of one though. Still great to see.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:33 am

phpBB [video]

Here you go

Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:15 am

"Fever? You wanna hear Fever? No problem." He looks right into the movie camera.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:18 am

elvisjock wrote:"Fever? You wanna hear Fever? No problem." He looks right into the movie camera.

I know it was creepy yet cool at the sametime

Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:23 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

When he leaves too, it's pretty exciting, that guy from the Revenge of the Pink Panther movie getting Elvis' back covered while the others surround him as he leaves into that "doorway" with some "I love you" type of fan drawing above the exit. Despite his absurd schedule and life and early demise, I still find it incredible that no harm ever came to Elvis on the road. It can't have just been the protection, it must have been a dose of luck too, all those plane journeys, all those speeding limos, all those crazy people out there in the world.

Anyway, the exit is nice to watch, and I like his little moves at the end of It's Now or Never. A bit awkward perhaps, but still cool, and a lovely smile after it too.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:38 am

Also I have to say after watching it again this evening, no doubt about it ... Polk Salad Annie is one of my favorite scenes.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:31 am

This is just one kick-ass concert! Elvis say's "we,ve been on an hour an 6 minutes...we'll keep playing if you want"...

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:10 am

Elvis seems to be totally straight for this concert. He's lucid, happy, measured and he can talk. It's a pure pleasure to watch. Too bad this Elvis didn't show up for "Elvis In Concert." At least he would have went out on a high note.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:49 pm

eligain wrote:Elvis seems to be totally straight for this concert. He's lucid, happy, measured and he can talk. It's a pure pleasure to watch. Too bad this Elvis didn't show up for "Elvis In Concert." At least he would have went out on a high note.

That's how I have Pittsburgh in my mind. I'm not in denial, I just cannot tolerate watching, listening or thinking about what happened to Elvis after Dec 31 1976, out of love for the man, nothing more, nothing less. Dec 31 is where it ends for me, and may Elvis rest in peace.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:54 am

It was such a thrill to watch this show. Seeing Elvis really having fun on stage, really wanting to entertain and doing it so well at that point in his career. I really appreciate what the producers have done to create this.
Somehow I will keep this image in my mind reminding me that Elvis in his final year of living still had it! I remember that even over here, one of the major newspapers had a review of this concert stating that Elvis still could thrill an audience. The word about this particular concert actually spread. I'm glad I have been able to see this. :)

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:29 pm

A shame they didn't film this concert for the CBS Special although one could see by Elvis' eyes that something was definitely wrong with our man.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:36 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:A shame they didn't film this concert for the CBS Special although one could see by Elvis' eyes that something was definitely wrong with our man.

Although it's a better than average concert for 76-77, if we had the same film quality of the CBS tapes I'm sure we would see that flame starting to dim.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:50 pm

promiseland wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:A shame they didn't film this concert for the CBS Special although one could see by Elvis' eyes that something was definitely wrong with our man.

Although it's a better than average concert for 76-77, if we had the same film quality of the CBS tapes I'm sure we would see that flame starting to dim.

Exactly. But maybe if this would have been the case, we'd probably have an official release already by now. :wink: