Please go to the following URL:

http://www.project-72.org/

Brian

Re: Help Elvis (and others) Get Their Due

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:36 pm

I support this!

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:57 pm

Apart from Elvis would never get royalties for music made before 1972 because he sold them to RCA!

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:16 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Apart from Elvis would never get royalties for music made before 1972 because he sold them to RCA!

And because he's... how can I put this ....dead?

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:22 pm

The Pirate wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Apart from Elvis would never get royalties for music made before 1972 because he sold them to RCA!

And because he's... how can I put this ....dead?

Well, yeah, that's true.

The issues here, like those in the UK and Europe with the PD law, are more complicated than those put forward in the article/campaign. Yes, those who were big names will get more royalties if this changes. However, those that weren't big names will probably get their music played less, will be more forgotten than they already are, and will not get a free advert for their CDs through people hearing their music played on the radio. Who would this benefit? Well, people like Paul McCartney and Cliff Richard. Who will it be detrimental to? Well, certainly jazz and blues musicians other than the very biggest names, that's for sure. They're already unknowns to most of the general public - at least by having their music played (even for free) their name and their music lives on. I'm sure that's what most jazz and blues musicians would prefer rather than a royalty cheque for a couple of hundred dollars a year.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:47 pm

If this topic is motivated by genuine altruism, that's one thing. If the question is really "Help Elvis (forget about the others) Get His Due", then what's the point? It'd be better off headed "Help everyone but Elvis get a load of money that they did absolutely nothing whatsoever to earn."

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:50 pm

He (EPE) does continue to get publisher´s royalties for them.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:44 am

The key question, regarding Elvis, is whether this action, should it take place, could somehow reverse the injustice perpetrated against Elvis Presley and his heirs by "the buyout"?

If all bets are off for this music made before 1972, maybe???

Yes, there is still publishing, but it doesn't make it right. A judge concluded the deal involved "collusion" and other utterly inappropriate conduct between RCA and Parker. But it was never reversed.

rjm

Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:59 am

rjm wrote:The key question, regarding Elvis, is whether this action, should it take place, could somehow reverse the injustice perpetrated against Elvis Presley and his heirs by "the buyout"?

Yes, there is still publishing, but it doesn't make it right. A judge concluded the deal involved "collusion" and other utterly inappropriate conduct between RCA and Parker. But it was never reversed.

rjm

I always have problems when the buy-out is called an injustice. A business deal was done. If it had been the other way around and Elvis had bought the rights to his recordings for a knock down price from RCA, how would we feel if Sony chased EPE for more money forty years after the event saying that the original figure was not enough?

Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:11 am

Tony C wrote:
rjm wrote:The key question, regarding Elvis, is whether this action, should it take place, could somehow reverse the injustice perpetrated against Elvis Presley and his heirs by "the buyout"?

rjm

I always have problems when the buy-out is called an injustice. A business deal was done. If it had been the other way around and Elvis had bought the rights to his recordings for a knock down price from RCA, how would we feel if Sony chased EPE for more money forty years after the event saying that the original figure was not enough?

Call it what you want; labels ripped off artists for decades, and this was one particularly egregious example. Elvis was easy prey that year.

From all the recordings that were sold in the wake of his death, save for a few last ones, the artist got "0" in performance royalties. It also increased the pressure on him to continue constant touring at just the time when he needed a break to address his personal issues.

rjm

Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:14 am

rjm wrote:
Tony C wrote:

rjm

Call it what you want; labels ripped off artists for decades, and this was one particularly egregious example. Elvis was easy prey that year.

From all the recordings that were sold in the wake of his death, save for a few last ones, the artist got "0" in performance royalties. It also increased the pressure on him to continue constant touring at just the time when he needed a break to address his personal issues.

rjm

He had a tongue in his head. He could have just said no.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:02 pm

He wanted the money. I have to agree with Tony C. here. It may have been a bad deal, but Elvis wanted it and his representative, the Colonel, negotiated it with RCA. I think they had to know, right away, that this was a very good deal for them.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:41 pm

There would've been many other ways for Elvis to get the money he needed at the time without selling the farm. Too bad that absolutely no one around him had a lick of business sense at all.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:28 pm

I doubt this. Marty, Jerry and Lamar knew a lot about music business, but they cannot convince Elvis they were better than the Colonel. Only maybe somebody like Tom Hulett or Jerry Weintraub could do that, but only if Elvis wanted to listen them.