Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Question for Turner/MGM/Sony

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:46 pm

I was daydreaming and came up with this.............

I would like to ask Turner/MGM and Sony if they can discuss about a DVDBox or single DVD's with each show from TTWII?
They have all of the footage in their vaults (i hope) so maybe they can do something with it?
Bring out a DVD each 3 months, starting with the complete openingshow, and as a bonus they can put in some outtakes from TTWII.
It probably will never happen, but who knows, maybe somebody from Turner/MGM is on this forum.
Then we have each show in perfect picture and sound quality and complete.

What do you guys think??

Grt. Michel.

::rocks

Re: Question for Turner/MGM/Sony

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:03 pm

I'm sure we would all love this to happen, but it is doubtful it ever will. The owner of the footage is Warner Brothers, Sony only own Elvis recorded audio catalogue.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:18 pm

Sony and Warner have, it appears, started to work jointly on certain products, with TTWII being the first. But the only co-operation that appears to have happened is the inclusion of the (probably remaindered) DVDs that came out a few years ago.

Warner/Turner/MGM have an extensive film restoration program that has been running for more than two decades, but their main aim is to restore the films in their library and release them on home video (often burn on demand). These aims don't extend to outtakes. Restoring such footage would be a costly and time-consuming exercise and, as I have stated elsewhere, Elvis is simply not an artist that garners enough attention from consumer's pockets to get WB spending money on such an archival project. It was going to make money for them, it would have happened by now.

If it EVER happens, it will no doubt be tied to in to an anniversary. And I don't mean an EOT anniversary, but one that is substantial enough to make newspapers and create publicity outside of the Elvis world. Next year's 80th birthday is one such example. My guess is that if we don't see such a project released next year, then it is unlikely to ever happen.

That said, the regular restoration/preservation program at Warner has slowed down considerably in the last couple of years due to financial issues. There are still many, many films in threat of being lost forever within the Warner vaults, and no doubt they will get priority in the coming years - and that is how it should be. While complete Elvis concerts would be more welcome, they are, in effect, outtakes and not the main product. We have already had two versions of TTWII, as well as extra performances, and the Lost Performances video from back in the 1990s, so we really shouldn't be complaining here. The run was good while it lasted, and all Elvis films are out on DVD, and slowly but surely making their way to Blu-ray. Considering Elvis's current (lack of) pulling power, that's a surprisingly healthy situation.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:22 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Sony and Warner have, it appears, started to work jointly on certain products, with TTWII being the first. But the only co-operation that appears to have happened is the inclusion of the (probably remaindered) DVDs that came out a few years ago.

Warner/Turner/MGM have an extensive film restoration program that has been running for more than two decades, but their main aim is to restore the films in their library and release them on home video (often burn on demand). These aims don't extend to outtakes. Restoring such footage would be a costly and time-consuming exercise and, as I have stated elsewhere, Elvis is simply not an artist that garners enough attention from consumer's pockets to get WB spending money on such an archival project. It was going to make money for them, it would have happened by now.

If it EVER happens, it will no doubt be tied to in to an anniversary. And I don't mean an EOT anniversary, but one that is substantial enough to make newspapers and create publicity outside of the Elvis world. Next year's 80th birthday is one such example. My guess is that if we don't see such a project released next year, then it is unlikely to ever happen.

That said, the regular restoration/preservation program at Warner has slowed down considerably in the last couple of years due to financial issues. There are still many, many films in threat of being lost forever within the Warner vaults, and no doubt they will get priority in the coming years - and that is how it should be. While complete Elvis concerts would be more welcome, they are, in effect, outtakes and not the main product. We have already had two versions of TTWII, as well as extra performances, and the Lost Performances video from back in the 1990s, so we really shouldn't be complaining here. The run was good while it lasted, and all Elvis films are out on DVD, and slowly but surely making their way to Blu-ray. Considering Elvis's current (lack of) pulling power, that's a surprisingly healthy situation.

Considering the lost performance as far as i know that one only managed to get out as VHS and Laserdisc.. it deserves either a DVD or Blu-ray release. with DVD probably being the most likely to happen.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:43 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Sony and Warner have, it appears, started to work jointly on certain products, with TTWII being the first. But the only co-operation that appears to have happened is the inclusion of the (probably remaindered) DVDs that came out a few years ago.

Considering the lost performance as far as i know that one only managed to get out as VHS and Laserdisc.. it deserves either a DVD or Blu-ray release. with DVD probably being the most likely to happen.

It does, but I wonder if this was another master tape that went missing at some point. It seems odd it hasn't appeared so far. Reassembling the footage again would be too costly.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:46 pm

The shows were not recorded in full and on top of that it would cost too much money and they likely would not make that money back. making a profit is the top priority.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:09 am

I'd be content with a Great Performances release on DVD or BluRay.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:30 am

The Great Performances has been out on DVD for several years now:

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Presley-The ... rformances

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:47 am

As much as I would like all the TTWII stuff to be officially released, surely the unreleased On Tour footage is far more important. We have seen nothing of Richmond 1972 except those snippets from the movie.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:51 am

charro1971 wrote:As much as I would like all the TTWII stuff to be officially released, surely the unreleased On Tour footage is far more important. We have seen nothing of Richmond 1972 except those snippets from the movie.

While it would be great to see any new footage, I'm not sure that anything from these movies is going to be "important" when it comes to the Elvis story - by that I mean that it will tell us nothing that we didn't already know, there'll be no surprises in set lists or performances etc.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:55 am

Justin wrote:The Great Performances has been out on DVD for several years now:

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Presley-The ... rformances

My bad. I meant the Lost Performances.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:31 am

DEH wrote:The shows were not recorded in full and on top of that it would cost too much money and they likely would not make that money back. making a profit is the top priority.

The six shows were recorded in full by Wally Heider. Has anyone in the know ever confirmed that the 6 TTWII performances weren not filmed in their entirety? See here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84311

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:41 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:
DEH wrote:The shows were not recorded in full and on top of that it would cost too much money and they likely would not make that money back. making a profit is the top priority.

The six shows were recorded in full by Wally Heider. Has anyone in the know ever confirmed that the 6 TTWII performances weren not filmed in their entirety? See here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84311

I wonder when the audio is finally going to be released in its entirety... :wink:

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:27 pm

Thnxs for all your reactions guys :smt023 :smt023 :smt023

It will be a start if we would get The Lost Performances on DVD or better on Blu-ray.
But that will cost a lot of money too i guess.

Grt. Michel.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:03 pm

Never gonna happen. In the main, people aren't buying DVDs anymore, not like, say, 10 years ago.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:36 pm

Tony.. wrote:Never gonna happen. In the main, people aren't buying DVDs anymore, not like, say, 10 years ago.

Tony, we have to look at that information a bit closer. It's new releases that don't get the sales that they used to - for older and classic films, the dip in sales is nowhere near as great. And that issue is being solved anyway by the burn on demand services from Warner, Fox, Universal and probably others. My guess is that more and more titles will be released that way and not just "niche" films such as silents etc. It's the same with CDs - the market is still relatively buoyant when it comes to speciality music, but not within pop music. Captain America came out this week on DVD in the UK - were the sales as big for that as they would have been ten years ago? I doubt it, not least because it's available to rent on the same day through iTunes or movies on demand. And yet the sales for Dr Caligari, which gets released in a couple of weeks, will probably be as good as before. Different audiences have different viewing habits - and even the same person might have different viewing habits depending on the film. Collectors - of Elvis or anything else - will always want physical product.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:44 pm

True , collectors (like me !) will always want physical product, but will companies still be releasing it?

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:07 pm

gantonicel@aol.com wrote:True , collectors (like me !) will always want physical product, but will companies still be releasing it?

Yes - they will just go through the burn on demand route instead of having factory pressed CDs.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:25 pm

It's actually too bad that they can't do some sort of kickstarter-esque thing for those kinds of releases - that way more product can potentially be released and it doesn't cost them anything. To me, that's really the only way they can truly say "well, we tried but the support isn't there".

I'm pretty picky, but if I knew they'd be putting together, say, a complete "On Tour" show, I know that I and a good number of others would support that multiple times above a regular blu-ray sale to try to make sure it happened.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:47 pm

By now it will be the time to release something from TTWII or EOT on DVD or Blu-ray.
We are waiting so long for some new footage, instead of releasing the same footage over and over again.
I know it will cost a lot of money and it will take a lot of time.... but hey... its Elvis presley... Artist of the Century!!!!!

Grt. Michel.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:15 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
gantonicel@aol.com wrote:True , collectors (like me !) will always want physical product, but will companies still be releasing it?

Yes - they will just go through the burn on demand route instead of having factory pressed CDs.

True ,but that's not really "physical product" . As an old coot , I still like walking into Best Buy,or Barnes and Noble , and walking out with a DVD or CD .I guess it's ingrained behavior ( wily old Colonel!). I started buying Elvis records back in 1958. I'd look forward to the next single which would announce "coming soon" -Elvis next album or movie - a cycle repeated every 3 or4 months or so. Getting the "album" was a fun event .Checking it out for the first time , getting the shrink wrap off and getting it on the turntable , experiencing the music for the first time .So for me , it won't be the same, but I know you can't stop progress.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:31 pm

gantonicel@aol.com wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

True ,but that's not really "physical product" . As an old coot , I still like walking into Best Buy,or Barnes and Noble , and walking out with a DVD or CD .I guess it's ingrained behavior ( wily old Colonel!). I started buying Elvis records back in 1958. I'd look forward to the next single which would announce "coming soon" -Elvis next album or movie - a cycle repeated every 3 or4 months or so. Getting the "album" was a fun event .Checking it out for the first time , getting the shrink wrap off and getting it on the turntable , experiencing the music for the first time .So for me , it won't be the same, but I know you can't stop progress.

Sadly not. But BOD does mean we are getting to see literally hundreds of films that otherwise wouldn't get a home video release - from silent films through to musicals. For example, WB have just announced the release on BOD of the 1943 version of the Desert Song - a film that hasn't been shown publically for around four decades.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:44 pm

Michel wrote:By now it will be the time to release something from TTWII or EOT on DVD or Blu-ray.
We are waiting so long for some new footage, instead of releasing the same footage over and over again.
I know it will cost a lot of money and it will take a lot of time.... but hey... its Elvis presley... Artist of the Century!!!!!

Grt. Michel.

Yes but not this century.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:20 pm

r&b wrote:
Michel wrote:By now it will be the time to release something from TTWII or EOT on DVD or Blu-ray.

Grt. Michel.

Yes but not this century.

Thats right... but it is time to give us what we want.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:32 pm

I think the reason why Lost Performances hasn't been released on DVD is that the picture ratio is in 4:3 and not widescreen. I think they transferred the outtakes to videotape first and then edited the whole thing. So the "master tapes" for Lost Performances are in 4:3 format on some old videotape, and that means the pictures is cut and in poor quality.
All DVDs and Blu-rays are released in widescreen format to fit modern TV standards. If Lost Performances was to be released in this format, it would mean they had to edit the whole thing from scratch, and they would never do that!

Same goes for the colorized version of Jailhouse Rock, also made in the early 90s.