Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Mon May 12, 2003 7:45 am

i dont know about today singers
but some might have worked harded then elvis
and some dont.

Mon May 12, 2003 8:11 am

If Col Parker and Elvis had a baby, his name would be Gene Simmons. The biggest pimp/whore in the industry as far as marketing goes and worked as hard as elvis from 1973-2003. Also starred or played second in a handful of movies.

Mon May 12, 2003 1:32 pm

JonRomanovich --

Gene Simmons may have worked as hard as Elvis, but he never achieved a fraction of the success or rewards that our man did.

Ask the average music fan which band Gene performed with and they might just know that it was 'Kiss'.

Ask them to name a Kiss song and they'd be hard pressed to do so.

I know I couldn't !

Colin B

Mon May 12, 2003 2:57 pm

The only artist in USA today who has the same awards/stature as Elvis would be George Strait.He may not worked as hard as Elvis but got good sale on records,ticketsale.Over 60000 comes to see him at concerts,and he got an amazing good voice.Hope he does a rockabilly album sometimes. :lol:

Mon May 12, 2003 6:24 pm

Was Gene Simmons a whore to the music industry. Yeah, but then again no more than others. Especially when considering Elvis. Not too offend, but lets get real here!

Colin B, as far as naming a Kiss song. Well ever heard of ROCK AND ROLL ALL NITE!!!!!! nuff said

As far as Kiss selling a fraction of E. Sure it is. Probably like 1/4. If all said and done tying in merchandise. It just might be 3/4. Kiss like Elvis sold a crapload of records that are unnacounted for by RIAA(rumored to be around 200 million in 1977). That said, they have more gold records than any American band and are actually in 3rd place behind The Beatles and Rolling Stones. Furthermore, they are world wide legends and continue to sell. They have broke every attendance record set by the Beatles and Elvis. True their band problems have stopped them from reaching their full potential musically, but one would be blind to not see the effect they have had on todays performers. I admit freely that Kiss didn't write the caliber songs(they sometimes transended this with above mentioned song, but that is really not the kind of band they were) that the Beatles and Elvis performed, but as far as stage presence, they are almost unmatched(that goes to E). Some people like to downplay this and that is sad. Performing efficiency is almost as important as material in my opinion. Not that Kiss didn't write MANY classic songs, and in the end I have much more respect for them than some of these 60's rejects.

Ok back to the comparison. BING BING BING. Very very prolific man. Recorded every year of his life since breaking in the 30's. Appearing on over 4000 radio shows. Double the amount of Elvis movies..etc. I would say he is up there with material comparable to Elvis lifetime proportionally.

P.S. I apologize for my KISS rant, but again, I didn't start it!!

Mon May 12, 2003 6:33 pm

P.P.S. Oh yeah one last thing. You can thank Gene Simmons for paying for Van Halen's Demo. Also Ace Was tapping on his guitar since 1975 in a big way(not just stumbling upon it like Jimi Hendrix), coincidence? Is their any doubt that Ace didn't change the way that people played guitar till well into the 80's! Once asked if Eddie influenced Ace and Ace got steaming mad and said "Ummm I think it is the other way around!!"

Ace wasn't much of a business man, and that is part of the reasons that Gene and him didn't get along. Gene wanted Ace to copyright the lightning bolt on his strap. Ace to create his own line of straps so to speak. Now how many people actually use the lightning bolt!!! I could go into more, but this is a Elvis message board. I am done.

Mon May 12, 2003 6:47 pm

svallen wrote:The only artist in USA today who has the same awards/stature as Elvis would be George Strait.He may not worked as hard as Elvis but got good sale on records,ticketsale.Over 60000 comes to see him at concerts,and he got an amazing good voice.Hope he does a rockabilly album sometimes. :lol:

Ehhh... George Strait??? Who's he?

Mike Love (one of the original members of The Beach Boys) does about 100 shows a year... And never had one year without toured. He never, ever missed a show... Even this year The Beach Boys (with Mike Love and Bruce Johnston as the only original members) are touring the world with a 90 minute show.... If that's not hard working?

Mon May 12, 2003 6:57 pm

I would have to say before his bout with bad health ,, my guess would be johnny cash... and i do agree with your choice of geroge strait as far as touring...but todays entertainers have video to help promote material unlike elvis in his heyday....

Mon May 12, 2003 7:22 pm

I would've guessed Frank Sinatra - before he started his short-lived retirement in 1971.

Tom (from Ohio)