Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Thats the way it is in the movie theaters

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:58 am

I went to a Edwards movie theater today to watch" Thats The Way It Is" and there was only about 25 people in the theater. Wish more people would have shown up, the sound was really great, picture quality was.just ok..

Re: Thats the way it is in the movie theaters

Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:36 pm

I'm going Wednesday. Already bought my ticket for the showing at 7 pm.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:37 pm

I saw it in New York City on Sunday. About 25 people , all of whom seemed to enjoy it , but not as much as the NYC audience I saw Elvis On Tour with. Outside of the Elvis world , it wasn't well publicized. I was happy to get a chance to see this version on the big screen.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:22 pm

gantonicel@aol.com wrote:I saw it in New York City on Sunday. About 25 people , all of whom seemed to enjoy it , but not as much as the NYC audience I saw Elvis On Tour with. Outside of the Elvis world , it wasn't well publicized. I was happy to get a chance to see this version on the big screen.

My wife, who went with me to the film, mentioned the same thing about the lack of publicity. I wonder why.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:31 am

Agree...the theater I went to didn't even have a poster??

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:35 pm

No poster at the Amc25 in New York either. I was wondering if there even was a poster until saw it mentioned on this site.
And why is it that "events" like this are rarely mentioned on the Elvis Channel on Serius ?

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:50 am

Movie is starting in 10 mins. Only two other people in the theater :( . No posters in the lobby or outside.

Somebody f'ed up the promo for this. Big time.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:33 am

Here in Tucson they have a poster up in the hallway at Elcon Century Theatre. I saw it in 1971 and have the SE DVD, don't need to see it in the theatre again. A few years ago I saw Elvis On Tour in the same theatre, as it was the ONLY Elvis movie I have never seen up until then.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:43 am

I saw it at the Hollywood 20 here in Greenville on Sunday and there was a very good crowd 75-100 people ranging in age from under 10 on up. Only pub I know of was the poster in the lobby area. Thought about going again tonight but since I have to get up at 2AM I wisely decided against it. Would love to know how many peeps showed up today and tonight. Anyone in this area go today/tonight?

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:07 am

Three women ended up coming after my post. Final tally was 6 people.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:43 am

I saw it on Sunday in Atlanta and there were 15 or so others in the very small theater. It was a great experience and everyone there enjoyed it and were wearing Elvis t-shirts. But there was no movie poster or local advertisement.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:58 am

Just got back. Had about 10 or so in Shreveport. The sound was a joke.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:05 am

Saw it here in Kansas City Sunday. About 15 people there. Really enjoyed seeing those great performances on the big screen.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:42 am

I saw it tonight in Tulsa on IMAX screen the sound was amazing! I would guess about 40 ppl were there...... very cool! I remember when they had the Fathom event for 'Elvis on Tour' and that was sold out. I think EOT was promoted better.

JEFF d
EP fan

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:45 pm

Anyone see it in Paramus N.J.? I was wondering how big of a crowd showed up ( I saw it in New York City on Sunday). Almost no promotion for it here in N.J. Can anyone describe the poster, or post a picture of it?

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:10 am

gantonicel@aol.com wrote:Anyone see it in Paramus N.J.? I was wondering how big of a crowd showed up ( I saw it in New York City on Sunday). Almost no promotion for it here in N.J. Can anyone describe the poster, or post a picture of it?

The poster was the same as the BD cover.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:13 am

JEFF d wrote:I saw it tonight in Tulsa on IMAX screen the sound was amazing! I would guess about 40 ppl were there...... very cool! I remember when they had the Fathom event for 'Elvis on Tour' and that was sold out. I think EOT was promoted better.

JEFF d
EP fan

Jeff, would have loved to have been there with amazing sound. I think you're the first to post that it actually sounded like it should have. When I saw it, it was like someone forgot to flip a switch or something, all the sound came from the screen. Consider yourself lucky! :smt006

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:16 am

steve in SC wrote:
JEFF d wrote:I saw it tonight in Tulsa on IMAX screen the sound was amazing! I would guess about 40 ppl were there...... very cool! I remember when they had the Fathom event for 'Elvis on Tour' and that was sold out. I think EOT was promoted better.

JEFF d
EP fan

Jeff, would have loved to have been there with amazing sound. I think you're the first to post that it actually sounded like it should have. When I saw it, it was like someone forgot to flip a switch or something, all the sound came from the screen. Consider yourself lucky! :smt006

the sound was indeed bogus.. almost asked for the manager.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:32 am

steve in SC wrote:
gantonicel@aol.com wrote:Anyone see it in Paramus N.J.? I was wondering how big of a crowd showed up ( I saw it in New York City on Sunday). Almost no promotion for it here in N.J. Can anyone describe the poster, or post a picture of it?

The poster was the same as the BD cover.

That makes sense. The poster for Elvis On Tour 4 years ago was also the same as the Blu-ray cover.
Last edited by gantonicel@aol.com on Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:36 am

I went to the Union Square theater 7PM showing in NYC. More details and pics to come. :D

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:17 pm

Does anyone know what concert the Are You Lonesome Tonight audio was from that ran at the end of the TTWII in theaters the last few days?

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:01 am

WMarkJ wrote:Does anyone know what concert the Are You Lonesome Tonight audio was from that ran at the end of the TTWII in theaters the last few days?

Aug. 12 ms 1970. It was a nice fit.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:06 am

I live 15 mins from Paramus in upper Bergen County. Didnt even know it was being shown there. Nothing in my paper about it. Terrible promotion

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:50 pm

Right. If you didn't explore the original press release that was sent out by Sony via the Shop Elvis site, and follow the link , you never would have known about it . Most fans apparently didn't . I'm in South Bergen, but never saw even one mention of the film in the Bergen Record. Wasted opportunity.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:54 pm

My wife and I saw it last Monday night at the Alamo Drafthouse in New Braunfels, Texas. It was also playing one-day only on other nights at three of the other Drafthouses in the San Antonio area. I'd say there were about 70-80 people. The sound was good and it was great to see TTWII on the big screen. I'd originally seen it on a double bill with Elvis On Tour at the Denver Twin, downtown, back in 1973 or so. While many are attached to the original version of the film, the new edit done for the DVD moves a lot better and features a lot more Elvis. If I were introducing someone to Elvis, the DVD version of TTWII would, I think, do a lot better job of converting someone into a fan. I'd heard that one showing (in Memphis?) had outtakes after the new theatrical screening, but this one did not.
The only drawback to this presentation was that the Drafthouse folks had one of the staff come out in an Elvis outfit before the show and do an AWFUL "imitation" with references to jelly donuts, with off-key vocals, etc. Don't they realize that this is exactly the kind of audience that WOULD NOT want that kind of thing? We are there to experience Elvis the artist, captured when he looked and sounded great and had a live show that's never since been matched. We'd be the last people to want to see him ridiculed. Fortunately, once Elvis burst out on the big screen, all of that was forgotten, though.
For the record, there was a poster in front of the theater and it was pictured on the theater's website. Not sure what other promotion was done.
We took our teenage daughters to that theatrical showing of footage from the 1968 TV special a number of years ago, and I know that that turned the girls into Elvis fans, not just someone their Dad listened to. I have the feeling that most of the people who went to this screening were ALREADY fans. I am always looking to find an opportunity to turn people on to Elvis, and when they realize what a talent the man really was THROUGH HIS MUSIC, they realize that the public image that most people know is condescending and superficial. Had more promotion but put behind these screenings, maybe more folks could be turned on to Elvis via the TTWII theatrical screening.
Well, I am already hoping for some kind of ELVIS ON TOUR theatrical screening sometime in the future, maybe when some massive ELVIS ON TOUR boxset is released years down the line.
I'm too young to have seen most of Elvis's films when they came out (except for the last 3), but when I was a kid, some of the neighborhood revival houses that played older films on double bills for cheap admission would have Elvis double bills on Saturdays or Sundays, so I saw a number of the early and mid 60s films that way in the 68-70 period. I always enjoyed them so much more on the big screen (and back then in the pre-multiplex age, they WERE big) than on TV, but TV is better than nothing, and we can hope that people are discovering Elvis via TCM's Elvis marathons twice a year.
Can you imagine how good a large-screen theatrical showing of, say, KING CREOLE would look today?
I'm one of those people who got into Elvis via his films....then bought the records.... :-)