Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: excerpts from Ginger's book in today's NY Daily News

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:04 am

Elvis did some bad things in his life that he shouldn't have but I wouldn't say he was a bad person.

We all do things we shouldn't.

I've heard too many good things about the man to say that he was a bad person.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:11 am

brian wrote:Elvis did some bad things in his life that he shouldn't have but I wouldn't say he was a bad person.

We all do things we shouldn't.

I've heard too many good things about the man to say that he was a bad person.

This sums it up. He could be an ass (like 99.9% of the entire population) but a good person. Besides all of that money and fame went to his head. Understandably so.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:17 am

fn2drive wrote:
brian wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
rjm wrote:
memfisking wrote:
rjm wrote:
TINML wrote:I think the fact that he hit her is messed up.

It's not a "fact" just because one person says it.

No other woman has ever said that he deliberately struck them, and in EWH, they wrote that it wasn't "his style." Which is rather crude, but it appears true and corroborated.

Priscilla did reveal something bad that he did the night they broke up. But that was actually only a corroboration; it was said earlier in EWH. She had told one of the wives. But she never said he struck her, nor has any woman until this one.

----

The whole thing sounds nasty. As if this is their revenge for Vernon not paying off their mortgage.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Not everything can be corroborated, if a friend of yours said that her husband beats her at home, would you ignore it, just because no one else can "corroborate" it.

And if Elvis did rape Priscilla, and hit Ginger, how would you feel about it?

Personally I believe both Priscilla and Ginger.

I believe Priscilla because it was the second place it was published. First of all, she told someone at the time it happened. It was in EWH.

She didn't call it that (the movie did), but that's what it was. Marital rape.

How do I feel about it? Well, he did a really, really bad thing. I don't think it makes him a bad person; it happened only once. And there could have been complicating factors - perhaps substances. But no excuses: he did it. I don't feel good about it. But everyone has done something they deeply regret. He wasn't Jesus, after all. Seriously, I think we all have something we wish with all our hearts that we had not done. (When I was 9, I wouldn't open a closet door that a little girl was behind. I leaned on it; she was crying and banging to get out. I don't entirely know why I did it. And I still feel horrible about it to this day.)

I think Priscilla felt it would be wrong to keep it a secret forever. Because it wasn't a secret anyway; it was already in a another book. She just confirmed it. If she didn't get it out, it would make all the good memories seem like a lie. At least to her.

Look, maybe he shoved Ginger when he shouldn't have - but in 1977, his mind was messed up. That wasn't normal for him.

This is not about a living person. It's not about a neighbor I have to protect. He's dead. He hurt himself far, far more than anyone else. He also did far more good than anything bad, I think.

rjm

Sent via mobile

he was selfish, self centered and manipulative. He was hardly the nice guy projected by his handlers.

You have no way of knowing if that's true or not.

I will say that 98% of the people who worked with him and 98% of the women he was involved with say he was a great guy.

That tells me that he probably was a nice person.

Priscilla Presley is the bitter ex-wife.

You must be right. Every nice person i know is a serial womanizer who cheats on his wife with anything that moves. Felton i'll take that kidney back. Get real the guy was a great artist but hardly the man projected by his handlers. He made that clear in his MSG press conference. Mam's and Sir's do not a nice guy make. The few unguarded moments in the 2 documentaries and the FTD tape show his much darker side.

You also forget the 98 pct still feed at the Elvis trough. Honesty isn't good for business.

Yup, Elvis was a bad guy. Great singer, great performer, but not a life you should emulate.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:45 am

You say Elvis was a bad person based off a few things that you have read about him.

I wouldn't take everything that's been written about Elvis to the bank.

I'm sure Elvis would dispute some of the things that have been written about him if he was alive.

I know there is a lot that is written and said about him that isn't true.

I know Ginger Alden will say some things in her book that are not going to be true but people will end up believing it.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:04 am

Would ANYONE here like to have dozens of tell-all books written about our most private moments by those we trusted the most?

Answer honestly.

And this means you, too, fn2drive.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:21 pm

rjm wrote:Would ANYONE here like to have dozens of tell-all books written about our most private moments by those we trusted the most?

Answer honestly.

rjm

Sent via mobile

A real friend would not write a tell-all. Real friendship and love cannot be bought.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:29 pm

rjm wrote:Would ANYONE here like to have dozens of tell-all books written about our most private moments by those we trusted the most?

Answer honestly.

rjm

Sent via mobile

How do you feel about biographies like "Careless Love"? There are points where E is portrayed in a less than flattering light. We've yet to see the full text of Ginger's book so is it possible you're jumping the gun?

I'm not buying the book and I joined the group on Facebook to troll her older than dirt sister and hillbilly brother but I can't say I have anything against Ginger.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:51 pm

I am in the same Facebook groups. Ginger stays personally out of the fray, but it would be naive to assume she is adamantly opposed to Poundcake's antics. It's been fun to observe and occasionally participate in this nonsense over the last several months. What's been most amusing lately is the posting of page grabs from advance copies of the book.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:24 pm

TINML wrote:

Answer honestly.

rjm

Sent via mobile

How do you feel about biographies like "Careless Love"? There are points where E is portrayed in a less than flattering light. We've yet to see the full text of Ginger's book so is it possible you're jumping the gun?

I'm not buying the book and I joined the group on Facebook to troll her older than dirt sister and hillbilly brother but I can't say I have anything against Ginger.

rjm was talking in general about tell all books from Elvis' friends and family members.

That doesn't really apply to biographies written about him by professional writers.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:25 pm

brian wrote:
TINML wrote:

Answer honestly.

rjm

Sent via mobile

rjm was talking in general about tell all books from Elvis' friends and family members.

That doesn't really apply to biographies written about him by professional writers.

So people that were involved with Elvis shouldn't write books but they can agree to be interviewed for books written by people that never even met the subject?

Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:02 am

TINML wrote:
brian wrote:
TINML wrote:

Answer honestly.

rjm

Sent via mobile

So people that were involved with Elvis shouldn't write books but they can agree to be interviewed for books written by people that never even met the subject?

I tend to think that some of the tell all books were worse than most of the biographies.

Except for Albert Goldman's book of course.

It's more personal when someone you know spills the beans and goes into great detail about it in their own books.

Most people that have said bad things about Elvis are people that didn't even know him though.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:09 am

I certainly won't be buying this book.

Im not really interested in what kind of a person Elvis was in the last year of his life.

Not got anything against Ginger either or that she has brought this book out but the contents in it just don't appeal to me.

Im more interested in getting the Ultimate Recording Sessions 3 volume book that is coming out in a few weeks.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:20 am

Answer honestly.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Certainly not me.........I don`t have anything exiting to hide though, but I know what you mean Robin. I`m sure Elvis, like any other human, would like some privacy too. BUT......as a public human, some/"friends" just wants to know/tell EVERYTHING........even about the most private moments in your life. The question is, "Do we have the right to know/tell" ?......my answer will have to be a HUGE.....hell NO.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:43 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
brian wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
rjm wrote:
memfisking wrote:
rjm wrote:
TINML wrote:I think the fact that he hit her is messed up.

It's not a "fact" just because one person says it.

No other woman has ever said that he deliberately struck them, and in EWH, they wrote that it wasn't "his style." Which is rather crude, but it appears true and corroborated.

Priscilla did reveal something bad that he did the night they broke up. But that was actually only a corroboration; it was said earlier in EWH. She had told one of the wives. But she never said he struck her, nor has any woman until this one.

----

The whole thing sounds nasty. As if this is their revenge for Vernon not paying off their mortgage.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Not everything can be corroborated, if a friend of yours said that her husband beats her at home, would you ignore it, just because no one else can "corroborate" it.

And if Elvis did rape Priscilla, and hit Ginger, how would you feel about it?

Personally I believe both Priscilla and Ginger.

I believe Priscilla because it was the second place it was published. First of all, she told someone at the time it happened. It was in EWH.

She didn't call it that (the movie did), but that's what it was. Marital rape.

How do I feel about it? Well, he did a really, really bad thing. I don't think it makes him a bad person; it happened only once. And there could have been complicating factors - perhaps substances. But no excuses: he did it. I don't feel good about it. But everyone has done something they deeply regret. He wasn't Jesus, after all. Seriously, I think we all have something we wish with all our hearts that we had not done. (When I was 9, I wouldn't open a closet door that a little girl was behind. I leaned on it; she was crying and banging to get out. I don't entirely know why I did it. And I still feel horrible about it to this day.)

I think Priscilla felt it would be wrong to keep it a secret forever. Because it wasn't a secret anyway; it was already in a another book. She just confirmed it. If she didn't get it out, it would make all the good memories seem like a lie. At least to her.

Look, maybe he shoved Ginger when he shouldn't have - but in 1977, his mind was messed up. That wasn't normal for him.

This is not about a living person. It's not about a neighbor I have to protect. He's dead. He hurt himself far, far more than anyone else. He also did far more good than anything bad, I think.

rjm

Sent via mobile

he was selfish, self centered and manipulative. He was hardly the nice guy projected by his handlers.

You have no way of knowing if that's true or not.

I will say that 98% of the people who worked with him and 98% of the women he was involved with say he was a great guy.

That tells me that he probably was a nice person.

Priscilla Presley is the bitter ex-wife.

You must be right. Every nice person i know is a serial womanizer who cheats on his wife with anything that moves. Felton i'll take that kidney back. Get real the guy was a great artist but hardly the man projected by his handlers. He made that clear in his MSG press conference. Mam's and Sir's do not a nice guy make. The few unguarded moments in the 2 documentaries and the FTD tape show his much darker side.

You also forget the 98 pct still feed at the Elvis trough. Honesty isn't good for business.

Yup, Elvis was a bad guy. Great singer, great performer, but not a life you should emulate.

He did a lot of bad things and no, his life is not one to emulate. Bad guy? I'm not so sure.

Good people do bad things. Bad people do good things. I choose to believe that Elvis Presley was a good guy who did some bad things.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:22 pm

I wonder if Ginger will be doing any media or talk shows to promote her book?

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:36 pm

eligain wrote:I wonder if Ginger will be doing any media or talk shows to promote her book?

I doubt it.

These days when someone writes a book about Elvis they do a couple of interviews with Elvis fan sites and that's it.

I could see her doing a brief interview on Extra or The Insider but I doubt it.

If Ginger had written this book back in the 1980s or early 1990s she would have been booked on every major daytime talk show.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:50 pm

brian wrote:
eligain wrote:I wonder if Ginger will be doing any media or talk shows to promote her book?

I doubt it.

These days when someone writes a book about Elvis they do a couple of interviews with Elvis fan sites and that's it.

If Ginger had written this book back in the 1980s or early 1990s she would have been booked on every major daytime talk show.

I guess maybe if Larry King were still on the air, she'd be on that. I think they made a blunder not publishing the book just before Aug. 16th. Then she might have been sought out for the Elvis death anniversary coverage.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:11 pm

eligain wrote:
brian wrote:

I doubt it.

I guess maybe if Larry King were still on the air, she'd be on that. I think they made a blunder not publishing the book just before Aug. 16th. Then she might have been sought out for the Elvis death anniversary coverage.

I'm waiting for the movie version - beautiful, angelic little Ginger in love with an obese, drugged, has-been rock star, shooting up commodes and downing pills like they were candy.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:17 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:
eligain wrote:
brian wrote:

I doubt it.

I'm waiting for the movie version - beautiful, angelic little Ginger in love with an obese, drugged, has-been rock star, shooting up commodes and downing pills like they were candy.

She already made that movie. It's called "Living Legend"!

Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:18 am

Lonely Summer wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Not interested in the read and I don't believe they would have been married at Christmas time. Why would she marry someone so mean? :oops:

That's what doesn't add up here. Elvis was mean, selfish, violent...and yet she was enough in love with this man to marry him?

It adds up, man.

phpBB [video]

Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:29 am

Answer honestly.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Almost 40 years after his death and the rose colored glasses are still on. So lets get this straight, truth telling is now bad so we preserve the memory. Got it. How about trying this one on for size-don't do anything you'll regret when the stories are told after your death. You know like perhaps not raping your soon to be ex-wife for example. Or is rape just one of those things that perhaps make him still a good guy that did a teeny weeny bad thing. You know it was only one rape after all. And really he only cheated on her for 13 years (you know like the entire time they were together) but hey good guys do that every day. As an aside Elvis also took large quantities of drugs almost everyday. I don't believe that either; who would say such a hurtful thing. When i saw him perform in the Summer of 76, he was at the peak of his powers. Let no one tell you otherwise.

The reality is pretty simple. The man was a once in a century artist but he was an extremely flawed human being perhaps that's why he was so great at interpreting words on a page. He was self-centered and highly insecure. The best i can say about the human being was he knew when he was wrong and tried to atone for it. And then he did it again, over and over. Maybe bad isnt the right word, perhaps it is simply that he wasn't a very nice man.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:44 am

I have heard many people who met Elvis say he was a nice person.

The director of Change of Habit said that Elvis was the nicest person that he had ever met.

I know of bad people and I know bad people.

Elvis Presley wasn't a bad person.

This board gets very self righteous and judgmental at times.

Your opinion of Elvis would likely be very different if you had known him.

That would have given you a more complete picture rather than basing your opinion on him by reading about a few bad things that he may have done in his life.

sheesh.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:05 am

fn2drive wrote:The reality is pretty simple. The man was a once in a century artist but he was an extremely flawed human being perhaps that's why he was so great at interpreting words on a page. He was self-centered and highly insecure. The best i can say about the human being was he knew when he was wrong and tried to atone for it. And then he did it again, over and over. Maybe bad isnt the right word, perhaps it is simply that he wasn't a very nice man.

Or maybe he was just a human being. I ain't about to judge his actions when there are plenty of my own I need to face up to first.

But it is beyond reproach that for whatever Elvis may have done poorly in his private life amongst a very small circle of other people, in his public conduct from the start of his career until the end he generally conducted himself in a most gracious, kind and giving manner. And he did this again and again, over and over, often when faced with some of the rudest, oddest people imaginable.

As for Ginger's forthcoming book enough judgement has been passed over a few excerpts. Reading the entire work will be the ultimate test.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:21 am

fn2drive wrote:

Answer honestly.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Almost 40 years after his death and the rose colored glasses are still on. So lets get this straight, truth telling is now bad so we preserve the memory. Got it. How about trying this one on for size-don't do anything you'll regret when the stories are told after your death. You know like perhaps not raping your soon to be ex-wife for example. Or is rape just one of those things that perhaps make him still a good guy that did a teeny weeny bad thing. You know it was only one rape after all. And really he only cheated on her for 13 years (you know like the entire time they were together) but hey good guys do that every day. As an aside Elvis also took large quantities of drugs almost everyday. I don't believe that either; who would say such a hurtful thing. When i saw him perform in the Summer of 76, he was at the peak of his powers. Let no one tell you otherwise.

The reality is pretty simple. The man was a once in a century artist but he was an extremely flawed human being perhaps that's why he was so great at interpreting words on a page. He was self-centered and highly insecure. The best i can say about the human being was he knew when he was wrong and tried to atone for it. And then he did it again, over and over. Maybe bad isnt the right word, perhaps it is simply that he wasn't a very nice man.

Maybe bad isn't the right word....maybe evil is. Cause we here at FECC are all better people than Elvis was, right?

Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:31 am

I don't wear rose colored glasses, and anyone who has followed my posts here since I registered in January 2011 knows that.

Rock stars get away with a bunch of s**t, and everyone knows that. They get spoiled because generally, they start out very young and utterly unprepared. They get too many free passes. And it often leads to catastrophe. And that's what happened.

But all this righteous indignation is disingenuous.

He was the little boy with a curl in the middle of his forehead; when he was good, he was very, very good. But when he was bad, he was horrid.

Still. There is a context for understanding how a good boy went "bad." How he lost himself, and often struggled to find who he was.

In the end, he lost. He died at a ridiculously young age. Is that enough penance for you? These last 37 exciting years of technological innovation did not exist for him. Other guys his age are having a ball on Twitter, and a few are even still doing their thing, and he's still in the ground. He paid the price.

(I just saw 84-year-old "moonwalker" Buzz Aldrin dump ice water on his head. He had fun!)

But some aren't interested in anything but the feeling that they are better than Elvis Presley - that they would have handled it better.

rjm

Sent via mobile