Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: excerpts from Ginger's book in today's NY Daily News

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:32 am

RyanD wrote:I would bet that 99% of this book is positive, but the NY Post published the few outrageous stories as excerpts in order to attract readers.

I agree 100%. But it is unfortunate that the publisher Ginger chose made sure her narrative included such incidents, or at least the incidents as they appear to be written for public view.

Even an unwell Elvis in 1977 deserves some context for his misbehavior, something that would be both appreciated and expected in a quality biography. It is not apparent in the excerpts.

This one may end up for me a "store page-turner," through which I determine whether it's superficial and harsh, or substantial and compassionate.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:This one may end up for me a "store page-turner," through which I determine whether it's superficial and harsh, or substantial and compassionate.

Gee whizzz, you better bring a thermos.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:22 am

epf wrote:This thread makes me feel uncomfortable about my own fanship. I admit i was curious as to what kind of person Elvis was in his private life. And i am disappointed. Not in Elvis but in myself. Like i was too curious and wanted to know too much. I won't be getting this book, i think.

EPF, don't worry. All these 'tell-all' books are one person's spin and they all have a mission. The publishers demand a bit of 'juice'. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Don't judge him on a 40 year old story. Stick His Latest Flame on your player and bliss out. Elvis is still the king, and Ginger's book can flap in the wind whilst the real groovers are dancing.

Pretty girl wants a payday. Okay then.
Last edited by Bill Tanner on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:24 am

I may be in the minority here, but for me it's all about the music. I will not be purchasing this book. No offense to Miss Alden, I'm just not that interested in these kind of books.

rlj

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:28 am

mike edwards66 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:This one may end up for me a "store page-turner," through which I determine whether it's superficial and harsh, or substantial and compassionate.

Nah.

My evaluative process does not take that long, and my instincts are always spot-on. :smt023

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:40 am

rjm wrote:
memfisking wrote:
rjm wrote:
TINML wrote:I think the fact that he hit her is messed up.

It's not a "fact" just because one person says it.

No other woman has ever said that he deliberately struck them, and in EWH, they wrote that it wasn't "his style." Which is rather crude, but it appears true and corroborated.

Priscilla did reveal something bad that he did the night they broke up. But that was actually only a corroboration; it was said earlier in EWH. She had told one of the wives. But she never said he struck her, nor has any woman until this one.

----

The whole thing sounds nasty. As if this is their revenge for Vernon not paying off their mortgage.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Not everything can be corroborated, if a friend of yours said that her husband beats her at home, would you ignore it, just because no one else can "corroborate" it.

And if Elvis did rape Priscilla, and hit Ginger, how would you feel about it?

Personally I believe both Priscilla and Ginger.

I believe Priscilla because it was the second place it was published. First of all, she told someone at the time it happened. It was in EWH.

She didn't call it that (the movie did), but that's what it was. Marital rape.

How do I feel about it? Well, he did a really, really bad thing. I don't think it makes him a bad person; it happened only once. And there could have been complicating factors - perhaps substances. But no excuses: he did it. I don't feel good about it. But everyone has done something they deeply regret. He wasn't Jesus, after all. Seriously, I think we all have something we wish with all our hearts that we had not done. (When I was 9, I wouldn't open a closet door that a little girl was behind. I leaned on it; she was crying and banging to get out. I don't entirely know why I did it. And I still feel horrible about it to this day.)

I think Priscilla felt it would be wrong to keep it a secret forever. Because it wasn't a secret anyway; it was already in a another book. She just confirmed it. If she didn't get it out, it would make all the good memories seem like a lie. At least to her.

Look, maybe he shoved Ginger when he shouldn't have - but in 1977, his mind was messed up. That wasn't normal for him.

This is not about a living person. It's not about a neighbor I have to protect. He's dead. He hurt himself far, far more than anyone else. He also did far more good than anything bad, I think.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Doing things one may regret is one thing, rape is go way beyond. While Elvis may have been good at his core, he was selfish, self centered and manipulative. He was hardly the nice guy projected by his handlers.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:11 am

For Krissakes, all the "bad stuff" happened after he got into drugs, to one extent or another. Even in 1962, he was hopped up on speed. I find it incomprehensible that a pre-addiction Elvis would have reacted to Priscilla dumping him in the way that he did. By 1977, he was taking steroids, and we know what they do.

This doesn't excuse these incidents, but it does explain them. Drug addiction robs the individual of their "core character." That's a part of the principal tragedy here, as it is for so many. And that is why context is key, or there's nothing to learn from. That's why books that contain a series of lurid anecdotes with no coherent context are useless, or worse than useless.

Elvis started out as a tremendously nice kid who really wouldn't hurt a fly, and was always remembered for his strength of character, and his concern for people. That even persisted later, but he couldn't hold onto himself. He lost himself to the addiction and what it did to him. And this is what substance abuse did to him. At least learn from it, instead of just dismissing him. That's just too easy, and allows every one of us to say "that could never happen to me." Because it could. It allows us to feel morally superior. And we're not.

As for the Alden book, this sort of talk inspired just by the excerpt gives the lie to their claim that they won't stand for any "disrespect." That is clearly a pile of horse manure, and in fact, if you know their recent actions, all they have done is disrespect fans in some extremely gruesome ways. Seems like the book may continue their gallant tradition.

rjm

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:21 am

mike edwards66 wrote:

Actually, reading it in the store is a grand old tradition with scandal-bios; I did it 37 years ago! I read EWH so many times in so many stores, that it was kind of redundant to buy it. (I have a used copy I got ahold of years later, for reference purposes. Mostly, from so many in-store readings as a teenager, I have it memorized.)

The statute of limitations has run out, so . . . call a cop. :mrgreen:

rjm

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:23 am

fn2drive wrote:
rjm wrote:
memfisking wrote:
rjm wrote:

No other woman has ever said that he deliberately struck them, and in EWH, they wrote that it wasn't "his style." Which is rather crude, but it appears true and corroborated.

Priscilla did reveal something bad that he did the night they broke up. But that was actually only a corroboration; it was said earlier in EWH. She had told one of the wives. But she never said he struck her, nor has any woman until this one.

----

The whole thing sounds nasty. As if this is their revenge for Vernon not paying off their mortgage.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Not everything can be corroborated, if a friend of yours said that her husband beats her at home, would you ignore it, just because no one else can "corroborate" it.

I believe Priscilla because it was the second place it was published. First of all, she told someone at the time it happened. It was in EWH.

How do I feel about it? Well, he did a really, really bad thing. I don't think it makes him a bad person; it happened only once. And there could have been complicating factors - perhaps substances. But no excuses: he did it. I don't feel good about it. But everyone has done something they deeply regret. He wasn't Jesus, after all. Seriously, I think we all have something we wish with all our hearts that we had not done. (When I was 9, I wouldn't open a closet door that a little girl was behind. I leaned on it; she was crying and banging to get out. I don't entirely know why I did it. And I still feel horrible about it to this day.)

I think Priscilla felt it would be wrong to keep it a secret forever. Because it wasn't a secret anyway; it was already in a another book. She just confirmed it. If she didn't get it out, it would make all the good memories seem like a lie. At least to her.

Look, maybe he shoved Ginger when he shouldn't have - but in 1977, his mind was messed up. That wasn't normal for him.

This is not about a living person. It's not about a neighbor I have to protect. He's dead. He hurt himself far, far more than anyone else. He also did far more good than anything bad, I think.

rjm

Sent via mobile

he was selfish, self centered and manipulative. He was hardly the nice guy projected by his handlers.

You have no way of knowing if that's true or not.

I will say that 98% of the people who worked with him and 98% of the women he was involved with say he was a great guy.

That tells me that he probably was a nice person.

Priscilla Presley is the bitter ex-wife.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:54 am

promiseland wrote:
longtallelvis wrote:
rjm wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:The only time Elvis hit a woman was in the 60's when he hit a girl named Judy with a cue pool stick when she called him a SOB, I think in 1962.

He threw it at her. Everybody in his family threw stuff when they got angry. (Like the Gatorade bottle story above.) It did land unpleasantly. That's not the same thing, though.

As for the timing, well, she was going to do this at such time as she wrote her book, and she did it now.

There's a recent backstory to the Aldens, you know. So, I am not getting it no matter what it said.

rjm

I don't buy much of Alden's story. She's saving for retirement with this book.

She's doing it her way.

Elvis only wanted her for a trophy. Who cares about her? By that point, he was emotionally checked out anyway.

By who words Elvis' or Dick Grob's ?
Anyway thanks again for adding to the discussion. :smt023

Neither! This was from Marty Lacker!
You're welcome! :smt023

Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:01 am

So why is Ginger publishing this now? So many years after the fact? Revenge, $$ or just to share her story.
I personally look forward to this read!

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:25 am

Not interested in the read and I don't believe they would have been married at Christmas time. Why would she marry someone so mean? :oops:

I'm sure being with Elvis in his last year was very difficult and from what I've read in numerous previous books, I wouldn't have been able to put up with all his narcissism. He was generally, at his core, a good person but he treated people badly at times.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:46 am

stevelecher wrote:Not interested in the read and I don't believe they would have been married at Christmas time. Why would she marry someone so mean? :oops:

I'm sure being with Elvis in his last year was very difficult and from what I've read in numerous previous books, I wouldn't have been able to put up with all his narcissism. He was generally, at his core, a good person but he treated people badly set times.

Well, of course - he'd gone insane by then. Kind of surprised that most stories have been more tame than one would expect under the circumstances. Do you realize what he was taking in 1977? It boggles the mind.

Mostly, he was in bed. Or on stage - dazed often, or in a really bad mood wearing a warm-up suit.

There's your book.

That's why writing a book only about that last year does not paint a true or balanced picture at all. I have read Priscilla's book a number of times, and even when describing that lowest moment, she speaks of the "gentle" man she loved and married. And how he was more like "a stranger" by that time. On that page she says he was "under the influence."

I'd be bitter, too. Bitterly disappointed that the wonderful guy she loved destroyed himself and their marriage.

There was no prior context for Alden. He was a very famous crazy guy who was about to die. If I am cynical about the Aldens, they have provided good reasons.

But having known him so long, unlike a last girlfriend, you DO see the guy she loved in Priscilla's book. And the guy who many of us love still. That's the difference. And it's a big difference.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:50 am

rjm wrote:Mostly, he was in bed. Or on stage - dazed often, or in a really bad mood wearing a warm-up suit.

That describes about 50% of our readership at FECC.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:51 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:Mostly, he was in bed. Or on stage - dazed often, or in a really bad mood wearing a warm-up suit.

Oh God! ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

rjm
P.S. -- And it's funny cause its true. Hahaaaa! Here ya go!

Sent via mobile

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:39 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Which percentage are you, ''old timer"? ;-)

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:41 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Funny. (maybe true lol)

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:14 pm

rjm wrote:For Krissakes, all the "bad stuff" happened after he got into drugs, to one extent or another. Even in 1962, he was hopped up on speed. I find it incomprehensible that a pre-addiction Elvis would have reacted to Priscilla dumping him in the way that he did. By 1977, he was taking steroids, and we know what they do.

This doesn't excuse these incidents, but it does explain them. Drug addiction robs the individual of their "core character." That's a part of the principal tragedy here, as it is for so many. And that is why context is key, or there's nothing to learn from. That's why books that contain a series of lurid anecdotes with no coherent context are useless, or worse than useless.

Elvis started out as a tremendously nice kid who really wouldn't hurt a fly, and was always remembered for his strength of character, and his concern for people. That even persisted later, but he couldn't hold onto himself. He lost himself to the addiction and what it did to him. And this is what substance abuse did to him. At least learn from it, instead of just dismissing him. That's just too easy, and allows every one of us to say "that could never happen to me." Because it could. It allows us to feel morally superior. And we're not.

As for the Alden book, this sort of talk inspired just by the excerpt gives the lie to their claim that they won't stand for any "disrespect." That is clearly a pile of horse manure, and in fact, if you know their recent actions, all they have done is disrespect fans in some extremely gruesome ways. Seems like the book may continue their gallant tradition.

rjm

Thank you for this compassionate and very intelligent post.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:11 pm

Lover Doll wrote:
rjm wrote:For Krissakes, all the "bad stuff" happened after he got into drugs, to one extent or another. Even in 1962, he was hopped up on speed. I find it incomprehensible that a pre-addiction Elvis would have reacted to Priscilla dumping him in the way that he did. By 1977, he was taking steroids, and we know what they do.

rjm

Thank you for this compassionate and very intelligent post.

Thank you very much. :D

rjm

Sent via mobile

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:14 pm

These exerpts are sad not buying. Hell, next time someone needs to write a book I wonder if they'll include the detail of seeing if Elvis used the bathroom on himself when he died and who cleaned it up.

DISGUSTING, and useless information. I'll go back to the music instead.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:38 am

stevelecher wrote:Not interested in the read and I don't believe they would have been married at Christmas time. Why would she marry someone so mean? :oops:

That's what doesn't add up here. Elvis was mean, selfish, violent...and yet she was enough in love with this man to marry him?

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:16 pm

Because he wasn't mean.

Haven't any of you ever got really mad.

The New York Daily news took three or four stories from Ginger's book to make it seem more scandalous.

Couples get into arguments and fights.

The problem is so many people and even some of Elvis' own fans are too quick to believe everything written about him in these papers and think that's how he was.

When in reality Ginger Alden's book will probably have a lot of positive stories about Elvis.

As I said earlier I don't think what Ginger Alden says in these excerpts is all that bad.

Her book will probably bore the hell out of most of us because it's probably nothing we haven't heard before.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:01 am

brian wrote:Because he wasn't mean.

Haven't any of you ever got really mad.

The New York Daily news took three or four stories from Ginger's book to make it seem more scandalous.

Couples get into arguments and fights.

The problem is so many people and even some of Elvis' own fans are too quick to believe everything written about him in these papers and think that's how he was.

When in reality Ginger Alden's book will probably have a lot of positive stories about Elvis.

As I said earlier I don't think what Ginger Alden says in these excerpts is all that bad.

Her book will probably bore the hell out of most of us because it's probably nothing we haven't heard before.

Well these stories sure surprised me - coming from Ginger - because she has always talked respectfully of him in the past. And I'm well aware that many Elvis fans do not like her. Hell, many of Elvis' friends did not like her! Gold digging phony...but I had withheld judgment on her until now. Well, honestly, I don't know what to think of her now. But these excerpts make her book appear to be just another tell-all. It sure seems like Elvis was surrounded by angels, perfect people that never lost their temper, never took any kind of narcotic, never engaged in any inappropriate sexual behavior.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:06 am

Ginger Alden had to write about Elvis' state of mind and what happened in 1976 and 1977.

You can't write a book about that time period without going over a few of those things.

It's expected even if Ginger never said much about Elvis before now.

P.S. I've heard Ginger Alden say some things about Elvis' entourage in a past interview so I wouldn't expect them to come across as angels in her book.

You shouldn't expect Ginger to be honest about herself, her mother or her sisters.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:57 am

brian wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
rjm wrote:
memfisking wrote:
rjm wrote:

----

rjm

Sent via mobile

rjm

Sent via mobile

he was selfish, self centered and manipulative. He was hardly the nice guy projected by his handlers.

You have no way of knowing if that's true or not.

I will say that 98% of the people who worked with him and 98% of the women he was involved with say he was a great guy.

That tells me that he probably was a nice person.

Priscilla Presley is the bitter ex-wife.

You must be right. Every nice person i know is a serial womanizer who cheats on his wife with anything that moves. Felton i'll take that kidney back. Get real the guy was a great artist but hardly the man projected by his handlers. He made that clear in his MSG press conference. Mam's and Sir's do not a nice guy make. The few unguarded moments in the 2 documentaries and the FTD tape show his much darker side.

You also forget the 98 pct still feed at the Elvis trough. Honesty isn't good for business.