Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: What next for the Legacy Edition Series?

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:50 am

skatterbrane wrote:For LP Fans/A Date With Elvis PLEASE!

I second that idea.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:23 am

Johnny2523 wrote:But it IS part of his legacy.
the live on stage in memphis concert doesnt do anything for his legacy either, but it was released anyhow because it was part of his legacy

Johnny2523 wrote:That elvis sounded great and sounded up for the show in memphis doesn't make it part of his legacy automatically. It was just a live album, while the CBS recordings where part of a TV Special and a soundtrack. Also it they were the last professional recordings of Elvis in his life. So in that case the CBS Recordings have more a ''Legacy'' then the memphis album did imho.

Actually, no.

Besides the fact that Elvis' level of performance on the 1974 live album is miles above the posthumously-released 1977 CBS-TV soundtrack, you have either completely forgotten (or do not even know) that it contains a Grammy-winning Gospel performance of "How Great Thou Art."

It was the last of three he received in his lifetime, and that is significant. In fact, it is a very strong reason the album received the Legacy treatment this year. The 1977 recordings did not win any awards then, and will not in the future.

Elvis Presley Grammy Awards

Best Sacred Performance
How Great Thou Art
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10th_Annual_Grammy_Awards#Gospel

Best Inspirational Performance
He Touched Me
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/15th_Annual_Grammy_Awards#Gospel

Best Inspirational Performance (non-classical)
"How Great Thou Art" Elvis As Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17th_Annual_Grammy_Awards#Gospel

Your many comments here and on other topics seem to indicate you have spent far too many hours listening to the sub-par recordings made in 1976-77, to a point where you no longer have any perspective.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
the live on stage in memphis concert doesnt do anything for his legacy either, but it was released anyhow because it was part of his legacy

Johnny2523 wrote:That elvis sounded great and sounded up for the show in memphis doesn't make it part of his legacy automatically. It was just a live album, while the CBS recordings where part of a TV Special and a soundtrack. Also it they were the last professional recordings of Elvis in his life. So in that case the CBS Recordings have more a ''Legacy'' then the memphis album did imho.

Actually, no.

Besides the fact that Elvis' level of performance on the 1974 live album is miles above the posthumously-released 1977 CBS-TV soundtrack, you have either completely forgotten (or do not even know) that it contains a Grammy-winning Gospel performance of "How Great Thou Art."

It was the last of three he received in his lifetime, and that is significant. In fact, it is a very strong reason the album received the Legacy treatment this year. The 1977 recordings did not win any awards then, and will not in the future.

Best Sacred Performance
How Great Thou Art

He Touched Me

Your many comments here and on other topics seem to indicate you have spent far too many hours listening to the sub-par recordings made in 1976-77, to a point where you no longer have any perspective.

Glad docs in the house to clear things up!!
Lord forbid anyone have any enjoyment of those years, according to the doc 'bible' it's downright sinful.....

::rocks

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:07 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:In fact, it is a very strong reason the album received the Legacy treatment this year.

Oh I'd wager the strongest reason was a self professed "70s guy".

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:38 am

Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:In fact, it is a very strong reason the album received the Legacy treatment this year.

Oh I'd wager the strongest reason was a self professed "70s guy".

No, the strongest reason would be down to economics: sell enough units to justify the cost in creating the package.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:39 am

...and a producer who describes himself as a "70s guy" :wink:

Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:57 pm

You can take it or leave it, like it or not, but the 70's Elvis sells. I've said it here again and again, but casual listeners and buyers enjoy never been to Spain and sadly ignore you're a heartbreaker. Even the 60-68 sessions sound dated to them.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:23 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I confess that I don't have the same problem in principal with a Moody Blue legacy edition that some do. Is it worthy? Not really. But neither was the Memphis show in that it wasn't an important album. However, Moody Blue IS on of those albums that is more generally known by the general public (particularly in the UK for some reason), and contains not only two hits but also a bunch of other well-known songs. The problem isn't so much whether the album is worthy but what to do with it. A pair up with EP Boulevard would be awful, as would accompanying it with other live material from 1977. There simply isn't enough extra material to stretch it to two CDs. For that reason it should never happen - the less people who hear E P Boulevard the better.

I've always enjoyed the "Moody Blue" album, whilst the "Boulevard" album was one I never used to play, but it has grown on me as I have got older. In fact Roy Carr & Mick Farren's review of the album actually gave gave me a fresh perspective on it. Neither are 'classics', but I would agree that "Moody Blue" is a popular title. I guess for a lot of people this would have been one of their first albums following Elvis' passing, and I don't think it has ever been out of print. If the album has been a steady seller over the years, then I guess that a Legacy Edition is a possibility, but I agree that the remaining '77 live material is nowhere near strong enough for a mainstream set, and a jungle room sessions two-fer does not seem likely.

I guess they could pair it with "Today", as it has a similar country feel, and they did pair "Elvis Is Back" with "Something For Everybody", so each release doesn't have to concentrate one particular session.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:29 pm

Maybe something more in the vein of 'Elvis At Stax' for the final sessions/albums...

in the jungle.jpg

Disc 1 - Jungle room session outtakes

Disc 2 - From Elvis Presley Boulevard.../Moody Blue

Disc 3 - The full complete Concert from 20/03/1974

Plus 80 page booklet with insightful in-shite-full liner notes

Jeez, Its a winner!!

And you know what? I'd probably buy it... :facep:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:06 pm

I have EP Boulevard twice - within the same boxed set (go figure). Twice is enough, I'm never buying it again!

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

When In Rome wrote:Maybe something more in the vein of 'Elvis At Stax' for the final sessions/albums...

Disc 1 - Jungle room session outtakes

Disc 2 - From Elvis Presley Boulevard.../Moody Blue

Disc 3 - The full complete Concert from 20/03/1974

Plus 80 page booklet with insightful in-shite-full liner notes

Jeez, Its a winner!!

And you know what? I'd probably buy it... :facep:

I´m confused, is it "Elvis In The Jungle!!" or Elvis At The Jungle!!? :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:20 pm

The next Legacy release should be In Person. Combining On Stage and In Person into one Legacy was absolutely ridiculous. Both were hugely popular and big-selling albums and deserve individual Legacy releases. 1st CD could be the usual 12 tracks + Reconsider Baby, Funny How Time Slips Away, Rubberneckin', Inherit The Wind and This Is The Story. 2nd CD could be a new, unreleased show: August 25 1969 DS, August 23 1969 DS or August 22 1969 MS.

There have been so many 69 Vegas shows released on FTDs that it's about time for more of them to be available to the lesser fans/wider population. Many non-Elvis fans don't know these shows that well, which is a great shame as Elvis was at his absolute best.
Last edited by charro1971 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:21 pm

charro1971 wrote:The next Legacy release should be In Person. Combining On Stage and In Person into one Legacy was absolutely ridiculous. Both were hugely popular and big-selling albums and deserve individual Legacy releases. 1st CD could be the usual 12 tracks + Reconsider Baby, Funny How Time Slips Away, Rubberneckin', Inherit The Wind and This Is The Story. 2nd CD could be a new, unreleased show: August 25 1969 DS, August 23 1969 DS or August 22 1969 MS.

There have been so many 69 Vegas shows released on FTDs that it's about time for more of them to be available to the lesser fans/wider population.

Too late - that ship has passed, and they won't revisit it now.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:23 pm

That ship has sailed.

Luckily FTD nailed it when it comes to In Person at the International Hotel.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:02 pm

memphis3764 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Actually, no.

Best Sacred Performance
How Great Thou Art

He Touched Me

Glad docs in the house to clear things up!!
Lord forbid anyone have any enjoyment of those years, according to the doc 'bible' it's downright sinful.....

::rocks

I make no comment about "enjoyment of those years."

Lord forbid anyone actually acknowledge the facts in my reply. :smt023

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:24 pm

How about the today album ,disc 2 could be the june 10,75 show.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:26 pm

Elvis In Concert 1977

Elvis On Tour 1972

+ a bunch more concerts we don't have! hehe

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:29 pm

les_lady21 wrote:How about the today album ,disc 2 could be the june 10,75 show.

Why is Today worthy of a Legacy Edition? It's a nice, enjoyable album for fans but adds little if anything to his lasting legacy. It's in no way an important album in his catalogue.

Seriously, it's time to move on from 70s titles, there are much more worthy titles yet to be covered, such as his award winning How Great Thou Art LP from 1967.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:39 pm

How about a re-release of "The Lost Album".. I always thought that was a cool release and had some great songs on it..also it has hits like "Devil in disguise" and "Ask Me" on it...

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:03 pm

Matthew wrote:
les_lady21 wrote:How about the today album ,disc 2 could be the june 10,75 show.

Why is Today worthy of a Legacy Edition? It's a nice, enjoyable album for fans but adds little if anything to his lasting legacy. It's in no way an important album in his catalogue.

Seriously, it's time to move on from 70s titles, there are much more worthy titles yet to be covered, such as his award winning How Great Thou Art LP from 1967.

I agree with you about HGTA, especially over Today, but instinct tells me they think gospel is already covered in recent times, via I Believe, and before that Peace in the Valley and Amazing Grace. What would you put on disc 2 of HGTA, the outtakes are quite similar to the masters.

A 3CD Stax / PFAP sized HGTA time period (well, almost!) set would be nice, 2 discs for all the masters that appeared on 1999's Tomorrow is a Long Time and associated session outtake highlights. Disc three for the HGTA masters and some outtakes. But they seem to rarely mix gospel with the rest of EP's catalogue :(

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:17 pm

King Volcano wrote:
Matthew wrote:

I agree with you about HGTA, especially over Today, but instinct tells me they think gospel is already covered in recent times, via I Believe, and before that Peace in the Valley and Amazing Grace. What would you put on disc 2 of HGTA, the outtakes are quite similar to the masters.

A 3CD Stax / PFAP sized HGTA time period (well, almost!) set would be nice, 2 discs for all the masters that appeared on 1999's Tomorrow is a Long Time and associated session outtake highlights. Disc three for the HGTA masters and some outtakes. But they seem to rarely mix gospel with the rest of EP's catalogue :(

Christmas is covered in recent times too, but they'll no doubt cover it again...and again.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:35 pm

I would have a wager on the first two volumes of Golden Records being released in the legacy format. Both have enough outtakes or alternates to fill each disc.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:49 pm

Blue Hawaii + outtakes on CD-1 and the complete Hawaiian concert on CD-2, newly remastered from the original tapes/reel-to-reel/whatever-source-it-was.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:49 pm

Matthew wrote:

For one its one of my favorite albums,and does no harm to anything,but you can also have releases from the 60's as well.
But why not have a legacy issue of the today album?

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:59 pm

les_lady21 wrote:But why not have a legacy issue of the today album?

Because Today adds little to Elvis' recorded legacy, and the Legacy Edition series is meant to celebrate an artist's best works.

I enjoy Today like the next fan, but it's not Legacy Edition material.