Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: What next for the Legacy Edition Series?

Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:28 pm

If the Golden Records series is tackled I would see it limited to the lifetime volumes, all of which would collect onto one two-disc set.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:32 pm

Matthew wrote:If the Golden Records series is tackled I would see it limited to the lifetime volumes, all of which would collect onto one two-disc set.

That would probably be the best approach, as vol.5 always seemed like an afterthought to me. I think I would prefer the complete mono single masters though.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:48 pm

rockinrebel wrote:I think I would prefer the complete mono single masters though.

I like the idea of that.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:49 pm

Matthew wrote:
Tornado wrote:I think Sony might do the On Tour like they did for TTWI. Well I wish they do that. One big complete box-set and a double for the main market. At least collectors and hardcore fans would get what they asked for so many years and public could have access to the best of the material. And it would put an end to our endless search for the missing piece.

I'd be surprised if we were to see an On Tour set the likes of That's The Way It Is, but you never know.

They'd need to correct the opening credits issue first.

Also, there is no original album to build a Legacy Edition out of.

Admittedly there is no 'On Tour' album to speak of but something akin to the style of the 'Elvis At Stax' concept, with the TTWII deluxe boxset mentality would make an enticing package!
"...Then I awake and look around me at four grey walls that surround me and I realize, yes, I was only dreaming..." :mrgreen:

Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:51 pm

Matthew wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:I think I would prefer the complete mono single masters though.

I like the idea of that.

Me too...

Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:01 pm

Whether some here believe the '70s material has been given more than its fair share of attention by Legacy lately, it does appear the current administrators of the Elvis catalogue feel the later-period body of work by Elvis is marketable and may possibly have greater retail sales potential than some of Elvis' earlier groundbreaking work. That said, there should be a balance. While some fans will celebrate the moment Moody Blue or Today gets a Legacy Edition release, there are some other very noteworthy Elvis titles, sessions, and artistic achievements that should receive some attention before the Jungle Room sessions get an expansive mainstream release.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:57 pm

midnightx wrote: it does appear the current administrators of the Elvis catalogue feel the later-period body of work by Elvis is marketable and may possibly have greater retail sales potential than some of Elvis' earlier groundbreaking work.

...hence one of the reasons why TTWII appeared and the 60th anniversary of the sun sessions was put on hold, for now!!

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:04 am

I confess that I don't have the same problem in principal with a Moody Blue legacy edition that some do. Is it worthy? Not really. But neither was the Memphis show in that it wasn't an important album. However, Moody Blue IS on of those albums that is more generally known by the general public (particularly in the UK for some reason), and contains not only two hits but also a bunch of other well-known songs. The problem isn't so much whether the album is worthy but what to do with it. A pair up with EP Boulevard would be awful, as would accompanying it with other live material from 1977. There simply isn't enough extra material to stretch it to two CDs. For that reason it should never happen - the less people who hear E P Boulevard the better.

But I do agree that attention should be turned elsewhere. A Sun-related set should have appeared this year, and the fact that it didn't is, frankly, scandalous. So that is overdue. King Creole could certainly work in principal, but depends how the powers that be fill up the second CD. Again, there's not enough King Creole-related material to fill the album. Perhaps include the other songs from 1958? Yeah, but what's the point? That's not what a Legacy Edition is about. My guess is that Blue Hawaii will be paired up with G I Blues at some point. I also reckon on the first two gospel albums. And, I'm sure, there will be a legacy edition of the first Christmas album - paired with the second one, of course. A compilation comes out every year, so why not a Legacy edition!

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:14 am

poormadpeter wrote:I confess that I don't have the same problem in principal with a Moody Blue legacy edition that some do. Is it worthy? Not really. But neither was the Memphis show in that it wasn't an important album. However, Moody Blue IS on of those albums that is more generally known by the general public (particularly in the UK for some reason), and contains not only two hits but also a bunch of other well-known songs. The problem isn't so much whether the album is worthy but what to do with it. A pair up with EP Boulevard would be awful, as would accompanying it with other live material from 1977. There simply isn't enough extra material to stretch it to two CDs. For that reason it should never happen - the less people who hear E P Boulevard the better.

But I do agree that attention should be turned elsewhere. A Sun-related set should have appeared this year, and the fact that it didn't is, frankly, scandalous. So that is overdue. King Creole could certainly work in principal, but depends how the powers that be fill up the second CD. Again, there's not enough King Creole-related material to fill the album. Perhaps include the other songs from 1958? Yeah, but what's the point? That's not what a Legacy Edition is about. My guess is that Blue Hawaii will be paired up with G I Blues at some point. I also reckon on the first two gospel albums. And, I'm sure, there will be a legacy edition of the first Christmas album - paired with the second one, of course. A compilation comes out every year, so why not a Legacy edition!

I love EP boulevard. I listen to it alot, to me the feeling elvis has and the emotions come over.. which songs should be all about. translating your feelings to another.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:18 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I confess that I don't have the same problem in principal with a Moody Blue legacy edition that some do. Is it worthy? Not really. But neither was the Memphis show in that it wasn't an important album. However, Moody Blue IS on of those albums that is more generally known by the general public (particularly in the UK for some reason), and contains not only two hits but also a bunch of other well-known songs. The problem isn't so much whether the album is worthy but what to do with it. A pair up with EP Boulevard would be awful, as would accompanying it with other live material from 1977. There simply isn't enough extra material to stretch it to two CDs. For that reason it should never happen - the less people who hear E P Boulevard the better.

I love EP boulevard. I listen to it alot, to me the feeling elvis has and the emotions come over.. which songs should be all about. translating your feelings to another.

Liking something doesn't mean it's good. Elvis is in appalling shape - he strains and bellows his way through the songs. Emotion? Perhaps. Desperation? More likely.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:21 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:I love EP boulevard. I listen to it alot, to me the feeling elvis has and the emotions come over.. which songs should be all about. translating your feelings to another.

Liking something doesn't mean it's good. Elvis is in appalling shape - he strains and bellows his way through the songs. Emotion? Perhaps. Desperation? More likely.

Indeed, From Elvis Presley Boulevard tugs at the heart-strings, but for all the wrong reasons.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:23 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

Elvis in appalling shape... thats not what i think about when i listen to an album.. I just listen to it with open mind.
I agree, many of those songs are sad songs.. but for me the feeling that he translates, and sounding like he means every word on every song, is what makes it for me a great album.
I for one would think a 3CD Jungle Room Sessions set would work better then releasing those albums above together in a same way as elvis at stax

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:32 am

Johnny2523 wrote:Elvis in appalling shape... thats not what i think about when i listen to an album..

But that's the problem, Elvis' poor health is extremely audible on many of his vocals on this LP. One cannot escape it.

Johnny2523 wrote:I for one would think a 3CD Jungle Room Sessions set would work better then releasing those albums above together in a same way as elvis at stax

There is no place at retail for a multi-CD study of the 1976 Jungle Room Sessions, the material and performances are just not good enough.

On FTD, Jungle Room Sessions does a fine job of covering the behind-the-scenes workings of these recordings, even if parts of it are difficult to enjoy.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:39 am

Matthew wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:Elvis in appalling shape... thats not what i think about when i listen to an album..

But that's the problem, Elvis' poor health is extremely audible on many of his vocals on this LP. One cannot escape it.

Johnny2523 wrote:I for one would think a 3CD Jungle Room Sessions set would work better then releasing those albums above together in a same way as elvis at stax

There is no place at retail for a multi-CD study of the 1976 Jungle Room Sessions, the material and performances are just not good enough.

On FTD, Jungle Room Sessions does a fine job of covering the behind-the-scenes workings of these recordings, even if parts of it are difficult to enjoy.

I for one think that elvis jungle room sessions are good enough.. Heck elvis at stax featured some weak performances. And it seemed to have done well!. Everything can be build around these sessions as being ''The Last Studio Sessions by Elvis Presley'' As well as promotion for it being recorded in the jungle room at graceland.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:44 am

Johnny2523 wrote:I for one think that elvis jungle room sessions are good enough.. Heck elvis at stax featured some weak performances. And it seemed to have done well!. Everything can be build around these sessions as being ''The Last Studio Sessions by Elvis Presley'' As well as promotion for it being recorded in the jungle room at graceland.

Elvis At Stax's success hinged entirely on the Stax brand, not on the music within. The producers stretched credibility with that one, working the Stax reputation as much as they could to get this set to market. From the bogus press releases and liner notes, to the 1970 cover shot, to the Stax logo, it was a propaganda piece, one that was reasonably successful I guess.

Of course they could create an angle for the "Last Sessions", doesn't mean they should, and certainly there is no existing legend to hang the project onto like there was with Stax and the studio's rich history.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:49 am

Matthew wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:I for one think that elvis jungle room sessions are good enough.. Heck elvis at stax featured some weak performances. And it seemed to have done well!. Everything can be build around these sessions as being ''The Last Studio Sessions by Elvis Presley'' As well as promotion for it being recorded in the jungle room at graceland.

Elvis At Stax's success hinged entirely on the Stax brand, not on the music within. The producers stretched credibility with that one, working the Stax reputation as much as they could to get this set to market. From the bogus press releases and liner notes, to the 1970 cover shot, to the Stax logo, it was a propaganda piece, one that was reasonably successful I guess.

Of course they could create an angle for the "Last Sessions", doesn't mean they should, and certainly there is no existing legend to hang the project onto like there was with Stax and the studio's rich history.

Well whenever there is talks about the ''Jungle Room'' At graceland there seems to be the line ''Where he recorded his last sessions''. I see alot of promotion into that. Whether right or wrong, I can see legacy releasing this at some point either next year or in 2016.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:01 am

Johnny2523 wrote:Well whenever there is talks about the ''Jungle Room'' At graceland there seems to be the line ''Where he recorded his last sessions''. I see alot of promotion into that. Whether right or wrong, I can see legacy releasing this at some point either next year or in 2016.

I surely hope not, that would be a mistake.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:09 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
Matthew wrote:

I for one think that elvis jungle room sessions are good enough.. Heck elvis at stax featured some weak performances. And it seemed to have done well!. Everything can be build around these sessions as being ''The Last Studio Sessions by Elvis Presley'' As well as promotion for it being recorded in the jungle room at graceland.

Johnny, Elvis at Stax did include some weak performances, particularly in the July sessions, but it wasn't a Legacy edition anyway. But nothing in the Jungle Room sessions is as good as Promised Land - nowhere near. Nothing at Stax is as bad as I'll Never Fall in Love Again or Never Again or Loving Come Down or Solitaire. Those vocals are hideous. It's not that Elvis doesn't have power and volume - it's worse, he doesn't have vocal tone. He has no control over his voice. His vibrato is waaay out of control. If you like them, well that's fine. If you enjoy listening to them, I'm pleased for you. But that doesn't mean they're good. I like Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce but I don't pretend it's of good quality. The Legacy editions are ALL about quality. Or, at least, they're meant to be.

I have learned over the last twelve days that people are VERY defensive over Elvis's last two years. So defensive they are willing to track me down and threaten me and my friends because I said bad things about them! And, you know what, I get it. I do. People are defending someone they love. It's a bit weird, but I get it. But why would you rather these sessions get brought to the public's attention than, say, the King Creole sessions? Or the 68 Comeback? Or His Hand in Mine? Or How Great Thou Art? Or the Christmas album? Or the Sun years? Why? It makes no sense whatsoever. And it's not even for personal reasons as nothing would be included that you don't already have through the FTD releases!

For pity's sake, what is the obsession with dwelling on those sad last years when there are twenty-two other years of music that can be celebrated? Wouldn't you rather Elvis's healthier, happier, better years be concentrated on instead of the period when he hit the self-destruct button? If fans love Elvis that much, then they really need to look in the mirror and ask themselves that question.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:12 am

poormadpeter wrote:I have learned over the last twelve days that people are VERY defensive over Elvis's last two years. So defensive they are willing to track me down and threaten me and my friends because I said bad things about them!

Are you serious?! Who are these absolute idiots?!

Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:23 am

Matthew wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I have learned over the last twelve days that people are VERY defensive over Elvis's last two years. So defensive they are willing to track me down and threaten me and my friends because I said bad things about them!

Are you serious?! Who are these absolute idiots?!

Yeah, I'm serious. But my point was really just to say that I realise there's a lot of passion wrapped up in fans regarding those last years! (and I really wish I knew who they were/are!)

Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:32 am

Matthew wrote:

The man didn't need a brand name studio supporting him. I for one, enjoy those recordings regardless of where they came from.
Critics will always find something to critique...

::rocks

Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:44 am

memphis3764 wrote:
Matthew wrote:

The man didn't need a brand name studio supporting him. I for one, enjoy those recordings regardless of where they came from.

Yes, they will. But the liner notes really do stretch the truth. Compare that to the short liner notes of the 1990s issue of Raised on Rock, which basically say "the CD you're holding isn't very good." I don't have that edition any more, but that's the general gist. I find the Stax material mostly enjoyable. I skip a couple of tracks every time, but mostly I find that material enjoyable - I'll take a CD of it any day over most of the 1971 studio recordings, for example. But "enjoyable" doesn't mean it's anything like what Elvis was capable of just three years earlier - or even in the March 1972 sessions. And it just seems bizarre that there is a boxed set of the Stax sessions, but not the Memphis sessions of 1969! But that's not as bizarre as people wanting to make a box out of the 1976 sessions which, quality aside, produced only sixteen tracks in the first place!

What next for the Legacy Edition Series?

Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:37 am

memphis3764 wrote:The man didn't need a brand name studio supporting him. I for one, enjoy those recordings regardless of where they came from.

The angle of that set was entirely hung on the legacy of Stax.

No Stax, no 3CD set at retail in 2013 focused on Elvis' 1973 studio recordings.

Your enjoyment of the material doesn't change this fact.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:42 am

poormadpeter wrote:And it just seems bizarre that there is a boxed set of the Stax sessions, but not the Memphis sessions of 1969!

Quite.

poormadpeter wrote:But that's not as bizarre as people wanting to make a box out of the 1976 sessions which, quality aside, produced only sixteen tracks in the first place!

Right on.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:32 am

Matthew wrote:
memphis3764 wrote:The man didn't need a brand name studio supporting him. I for one, enjoy those recordings regardless of where they came from.

The angle of that set was entirely hung on the legacy of Stax.

No Stax, no 3CD set at retail in 2013 focused on Elvis' 1973 studio recordings.

Your enjoyment of the material doesn't change this fact.

Point understood