Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: What next for the Legacy Edition Series?

Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:55 pm

Perhaps FTD would be better served, more of a collectors edition, but i like that format Johnny, about as good as we can get, what did u make of the The CBS Concert Recordings/ Gravel Road Music ? in my view we need better audio than that, with or w/o the fans comments ?

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:05 pm

dennyelvis wrote:Perhaps FTD would be better served, more of a collectors edition, but i like that format Johnny, about as good as we can get, what did u make of the The CBS Concert Recordings/ Gravel Road Music ? in my view we need better audio than that, with or w/o the fans comments ?

I did compile the CBS recordings (From sony's CD) And left out all fan comments, and putted all tracks together to make one big concert.
CBS Gravel road is truly their worst release. It sounded like it was played on a TV and then recorded with fake stereo effect.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:06 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
trouble_jw wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
dennyelvis wrote:His Hand In Mine / How Great Thou Art that could be a winner, or maybe a xmas release ? i wouldnt mind a properly done CBS, using the best of admittedly poor performances, but the album would have been released in his lifetime, so lets do it !

Something like:
Disc 1: The Original Album
Disc 2: The Undubbed Rapid City concert from Multi-tracks.

I think that would make a great FTD.....but not Legacy release. Does nothing for his legacy. (and I'm pro-Elvis In Concert in general).

But it IS part of his legacy.
the live on stage in memphis concert doesnt do anything for his legacy either, but it was released anyhow because it was part of his legacy

I gotta disagree with you there Johnny. On the 'On Stage In Memphis', Elvis sounds great and sounds up for the show. EIC, although some good performances, he doesn't sound good.

We all have different opinions - I guess we will have to see what Sony decide.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:08 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
dennyelvis wrote:Perhaps FTD would be better served, more of a collectors edition, but i like that format Johnny, about as good as we can get, what did u make of the The CBS Concert Recordings/ Gravel Road Music ? in my view we need better audio than that, with or w/o the fans comments ?

I did compile the CBS recordings (From sony's CD) And left out all fan comments, and putted all tracks together to make one big concert.
CBS Gravel road is truly their worst release. It sounded like it was played on a TV and then recorded with fake stereo effect.

That I agree with.... Especially after the hype they built up.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:31 pm

trouble_jw wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
trouble_jw wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
dennyelvis wrote:His Hand In Mine / How Great Thou Art that could be a winner, or maybe a xmas release ? i wouldnt mind a properly done CBS, using the best of admittedly poor performances, but the album would have been released in his lifetime, so lets do it !

Something like:
Disc 1: The Original Album
Disc 2: The Undubbed Rapid City concert from Multi-tracks.

I think that would make a great FTD.....but not Legacy release. Does nothing for his legacy. (and I'm pro-Elvis In Concert in general).

But it IS part of his legacy.
the live on stage in memphis concert doesnt do anything for his legacy either, but it was released anyhow because it was part of his legacy

I gotta disagree with you there Johnny. On the 'On Stage In Memphis', Elvis sounds great and sounds up for the show. EIC, although some good performances, he doesn't sound good.

We all have different opinions - I guess we will have to see what Sony decide.

That elvis sounded great and sounded up for the show in memphis doesn't make it part of his legacy automatically. It was just a live album, while the CBS recordings where part of a TV Special and a soundtrack. Also it they were the last professional recordings of Elvis in his life. So in that case the CBS Recordings have more a ''Legacy'' then the memphis album did imho.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:35 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:That elvis sounded great and sounded up for the show in memphis doesn't make it part of his legacy automatically. It was just a live album, while the CBS recordings where part of a TV Special and a soundtrack. Also it was the last proffesional recordings of Elvis in his life. So in that case the CBS Recordings have more a ''Legacy'' then the memphis album did imho.

As I said Johnny, we'll just have to disagree on this one. If they were to release it - I'd buy if for sure.....just wouldn't recommend it to my friends. As with the 'On Stage In Memphis', I would.

I do see what you are saying - but - for me, the Legacy series bodies Elvis' work with commercial appeal to the general public. EIC doesn't have the IMO....and that only is my opinion.

Maybe we look to much into the 'legacy' off it all.....it is only a record label name after all and not a guideline.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:38 pm

trouble_jw wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:That elvis sounded great and sounded up for the show in memphis doesn't make it part of his legacy automatically. It was just a live album, while the CBS recordings where part of a TV Special and a soundtrack. Also it was the last proffesional recordings of Elvis in his life. So in that case the CBS Recordings have more a ''Legacy'' then the memphis album did imho.

As I said Johnny, we'll just have to disagree on this one. If they were to release it - I'd buy if for sure.....just wouldn't recommend it to my friends. As with the 'On Stage In Memphis', I would.

I do see what you are saying - but - for me, the Legacy series bodies Elvis' work with commercial appeal to the general public. EIC doesn't have the IMO....and that only is my opinion.

But the album did peak to #5 on the Billboard chart in the fall of 1977. and was certified Gold and Platinum on 10/14/1977 and 3x Platinum on 8/1/2002 by the RIAA according to wikipedia. So it charted high and was certified gold, and platinum and 3x platinum. For me enough reason for it to be part of the legacy releases.

U.S. Billboard Top Country Albums #1
U.S. Billboard 200 #5
Canadian RPM Top Albums #4

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:44 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
trouble_jw wrote:

But the album did peak to #5 on the Billboard chart in the fall of 1977. and was certified Gold and Platinum on 10/14/1977 and 3x Platinum on 8/1/2002 by the RIAA according to wikipedia. So it charted high and was certified gold, and platinum and 3x platinum. For me enough reason for it to be part of the legacy releases.

Johnny, the whole point of the Legacy Edition series is that it highlights important, high-quality albums in an artist's legacy. There is nothing high quality about Elvis in Concert - the fact that it has been in print for 37 years is a miracle. The emphasis in the series on high quality, important albums is exactly why there was head-scratching when the Memphis concert album came out. It's fun and enjoyable, but hardly important.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:48 pm

All said aside, we (as fans) are long overdue for a remaster of the album....when was the last one, 1992?

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:50 pm

trouble_jw wrote:All said aside, we (as fans) are long overdue for a remaster of the album....when was the last one, 1992?

Yes and there was hardly any improvement in sound over the LP from '77.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:52 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
trouble_jw wrote:

Johnny, the whole point of the Legacy Edition series is that it highlights important, high-quality albums in an artist's legacy. There is nothing high quality about Elvis in Concert - the fact that it has been in print for 37 years is a miracle. The emphasis in the series on high quality, important albums is exactly why there was head-scratching when the Memphis concert album came out. It's fun and enjoyable, but hardly important.

While i understand some of your points.
I would think his last soundtrack for his last tv special, featuring his last professionally recorded concerts, and the high charts back then for the album, are important enough to warrant a release. Heck if the Memphis show gets a legacy release.. then i don't see the point why elvis in concert would be skipped, and as trouble_jw said, we still need a good remaster of the original album. Perfect oppurtunity.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:07 pm

on the about page on legacy's website
The multiple Grammy-winning Legacy Recordings, Sony Music Entertainment's catalog division, produces and maintains the world's foremost catalog of historic reissues, an unparalleled compendium of thousands of digitally remastered archival titles representing virtually every musical genre including popular, rock, jazz, blues, R&B, folk, country, gospel, Broadway musicals, movie soundtracks, ethnic, world music, classical, comedy and more.

Founded in 1990 by CBS Records (rebranded Sony Music in 1991), Legacy's original mission was to preserve and reissue recordings from the extensive catalogs of Columbia Records (including ARC, Brunswick, OKeh and Vocalion), Epic Records (including Philadelphia International Records) and associated CBS labels. Following the creation of Sony BMG Music Entertainment in 2005, Legacy assumed responsibility for the preservation and ongoing availability of recordings from the archives of the BMG family of labels including RCA Records, Arista, J Records, Jive, Profile, Silvertone, Sony BMG Nashville and Windham Hill, as well as imprints including American, Bang!, CTI, Mainstream, Monument, Ode, and others.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:13 pm

It should be Golden Records 1 & 2, and at the same time, a Golden Records 2 12" sized deluxe with all the masters, best of the out-takes and home recordings. Bring it on record company, bring it on. And pay Ernst to do the notes, then they might actually be "insightful" :)

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:07 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:But it IS part of his legacy.

The 1974 live album is worlds apart in quality from the shite recorded in June 1977, which has no place on the Legacy Edition roster.

Legacy Editions are meant to represent select pieces of an artist's best work, period.

All of Elvis' music is "part of his legacy", but that's not what the Legacy Edition series is about, thank goodness.

Nothing else from the 70s is deserving and hopefully That's The Way It Is will be the last Legacy Edition issued from that decade.

What next for the Legacy Edition Series?

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:09 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:But the album did peak to #5 on the Billboard chart in the fall of 1977. and was certified Gold and Platinum on 10/14/1977 and 3x Platinum on 8/1/2002 by the RIAA according to wikipedia. So it charted high and was certified gold, and platinum and 3x platinum. For me enough reason for it to be part of the legacy releases.

U.S. Billboard 200 #5

Elvis' death causing the LP to chart and sell well is not good enough reason to issue a Legacy Edition of it.

Neither Moody Blue or the dreaded Elvis In Concert should ever see Legacy Editions.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:37 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
trouble_jw wrote:All said aside, we (as fans) are long overdue for a remaster of the album....when was the last one, 1992?

Yes and there was hardly any improvement in sound over the LP from '77.

Ernst noted in a recent interview with Elvis The Man and His Music that the tapes for this album and the shows themselves are in bad shape and will need a lot of work to fix. He said they will eventually get to it but I suspect it will be via FTD.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:42 pm

Mike C wrote:Ernst noted in a recent interview with Elvis The Man and His Music that the tapes for this album and the shows themselves are in bad shape and will need a lot of work to fix. He said they will eventually get to it but I suspect it will be via FTD.

FTD is the right vehicle for this material.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:57 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
trouble_jw wrote:

While i understand some of your points.
I would think his last soundtrack for his last tv special, featuring his last professionally recorded concerts, and the high charts back then for the album, are important enough to warrant a release. Heck if the Memphis show gets a legacy release.. then i don't see the point why elvis in concert would be skipped, and as trouble_jw said, we still need a good remaster of the original album. Perfect oppurtunity.

While I like the 1974 Memphis show a lot, it also wasn't really worthy of a Legacy edition. It's a highly enjoyable album, but it's hardly Elvis Is Back or From Elvis in Memphis. Nor does it have the importance of Aloha or MSG. EIC should be skipped because it shows Elvis in the worst possible light. You might as well give a Legacy edition to Harum Scarum.

My guess is that Blue Hawaii will get the treatment at some point, and probably King Creole. Maybe the Gold Records album - but that IS a compilation of singles and not an album in the traditional sense, so I would argue against that too.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:06 pm

Matthew wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:But the album did peak to #5 on the Billboard chart in the fall of 1977. and was certified Gold and Platinum on 10/14/1977 and 3x Platinum on 8/1/2002 by the RIAA according to wikipedia. So it charted high and was certified gold, and platinum and 3x platinum. For me enough reason for it to be part of the legacy releases.

U.S. Billboard 200 #5

Elvis' death causing the LP to chart and sell well is not good enough reason to issue a Legacy Edition of it.

Neither Moody Blue or the dreaded Elvis In Concert should ever see Legacy Editions.

Indeed and precisely what I was going to say. If Elvis hadn't died, then Moody Blue would have struggled into the top 40.

Had Elvis survived, is it possible that the TV special would have been shelved and the recordings unreleased?

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:19 pm

londonflash wrote:Had Elvis survived, is it possible that the TV special would have been shelved and the recordings unreleased?

One would hope the producers would have reviewed the material and deemed it unsuitable for release, shelved it, and waited… hoping that Elvis would get rested and back in shape.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:21 pm

I think Sony might do the On Tour like they did for TTWI. Well I wish they do that. One big complete box-set and a double for the main market. At least collectors and hardcore fans would get what they asked for so many years and public could have access to the best of the material. And it would put an end to our endless search for the missing piece.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:28 pm

For LP Fans/A Date With Elvis PLEASE!

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:32 pm

Tornado wrote:I think Sony might do the On Tour like they did for TTWI. Well I wish they do that. One big complete box-set and a double for the main market. At least collectors and hardcore fans would get what they asked for so many years and public could have access to the best of the material. And it would put an end to our endless search for the missing piece.

I'd be surprised if we were to see an On Tour set the likes of That's The Way It Is, but you never know.

They'd need to correct the opening credits issue first.

Also, there is no original album to build a Legacy Edition out of.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:43 pm

Tornado wrote:I think Sony might do the On Tour like they did for TTWI. Well I wish they do that. One big complete box-set and a double for the main market. At least collectors and hardcore fans would get what they asked for so many years and public could have access to the best of the material. And it would put an end to our endless search for the missing piece.

This is almost certain. I think Ernst and Roger have said they are waiting to see if Warner will issue a revamped version of Elvis On Tour so that they could tie in to this release. Supposedly, when Rick Schmedlin review the TTWII material for the special edition, he also catalogued the Elvis On Tour outtakes as well.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:17 pm

Maybe the 1974 Memphis album doesn't enhance Elvis' Legacy, but it certainly does nothing to harm it either. It showcases Elvis in good spirits. good voice and clearly enjoying performing. Unfortunately, we can't say the same thing about the two concerts that RCA recorded during the filming of the CBS TV Special, and if Ernst and the team ever do get around to working on these tapes, then the only feasible outlet would be FTD.

Generally, Legacy releases are reserved for landmark, classic albums, but Sony have taken a different approach with (most of) the Elvis titles. This means that a great album like "Elvis Country" can be paired with a lesser title like "Love Letters From Elvis". This resulted in some rather creative sleeve-notes as the latter title was given credence that it really didn't deserve, but for someone to come up with an essay that suggests that the CBS recordings are 'essential Elvis' is surely not possible, and it would definitely impact on the credibility of the Legacy imprint if anyone was to try.

Whilst there have been numerous NBC TV Special and gospel related releases, I wouldn't bet against an expanded edition of LPM-4088 or the first two gospel albums as a two-fer, as both of these would be projects that showcase Elvis at his very best. It also seems to be record company policy to re-issue key titles and proven sellers (such as the gospel recordings) on a regular basis, so again this would make sense.

In terms of re-addressing the balance with Elvis' earlier work the newly mastered Sun recordings from the "A Boy From Tupelo" set definitely deserve a mainstream release, and a two CD set, with (hopefully) the added bonus of the live "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" would be a great release for the mainstream market, which would definitely be deserving of the Legacy imprint.

In addition to this I would suggest:

The soundtrack recordings for "Loving You" / "Jailhouse Rock" and "King Creole" as a two-fer with added out takes.

The "Golden Records" series over two double CD sets: Volumes 1 -3 are definitely classic Elvis, whilst volumes 4 & 5 could certainly be boosted with appropriate bonus tracks. The only problem here is that the catalogue is full of hits compilations, and theses old titles could have little or no impact as 'new' releases. I do like the idea of compiling all of the mono single masters though, and I think this could prove to be a better idea, which would offer the fan base something new, and also fit in with the current trend of issuing historic mono mixes on CD. Something which has proved successful for other major artists, and seems to be popular with collectors.

And finally, in the style of "Elvis At Stax", how about "From Elvis In Nashville"? This could collect together the best secular tracks post "Something For Everybody" up until the January 1968 sessions, and would be a strong, enjoyable release for both fans and casual buyers alike.