Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: What next for the Legacy Edition Series?

Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:11 pm

JimmyCool wrote:Blue Hawaii + outtakes on CD-1 and the complete Hawaiian concert on CD-2, newly remastered from the original tapes/reel-to-reel/whatever-source-it-was.

That'd be nice, but they'd have to put a note on it about the poor sound of the concert, that might not be something they'd want to do on a mainstream release? I don't know what people's tolerance levels are in mainstream/high profile releases. I enjoy the Pearl Harbor concert, but might less devoted fans than us moan and return the thing, I dunno? Bad sound quality in a box set like EAP or on an FTD is one thing, not so sure about a Legacy in 2014??

Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:06 am

Matthew wrote:
les_lady21 wrote:But why not have a legacy issue of the today album?

Because Today adds little to Elvis' recorded legacy, and the Legacy Edition series is meant to celebrate an artist's best works.

I enjoy Today like the next fan, but it's not Legacy Edition material.

Why does it have to add anything to his legacy,aloha didnt nor did recorded on stage in memphis.
They can sticll cover the 60's,and i do believe they will do a today legacy edtion.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:11 am

les_lady21 wrote:
Matthew wrote:
les_lady21 wrote:But why not have a legacy issue of the today album?

Because Today adds little to Elvis' recorded legacy, and the Legacy Edition series is meant to celebrate an artist's best works.

I enjoy Today like the next fan, but it's not Legacy Edition material.

Why does it have to add anything to his legacy,aloha didnt nor did recorded on stage in memphis.
They can sticll cover the 60's,and i do believe they will do a today legacy edtion.

As pointed out elsewhere, Aloha was a milestone not just for Elvis but also from a technological point of view. And the Memphis concert won him a Grammy.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:45 am

poormadpeter wrote:And the Memphis concert won him a Grammy.

...I think more specifically HOW GREAT THOU ART had something to do with it :wink:

Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:14 am

les_lady21 wrote:Why does it have to add anything to his legacy

They're called "Legacy Editions" for a reason...

les_lady21 wrote:aloha didn't

Obviously, you're joking. Certainly you are! Elvis' most famous event of the 1970s and his biggest hit album of the decade.

les_lady21 wrote:nor did recorded on stage in memphis.

I didn't think this album was worthy of a Legacy Edition, but at least it includes a Grammy Award winning performance on it.

les_lady21 wrote:They can sticll cover the 60's,and i do believe they will do a today legacy edtion.

No way will there be a Legacy Edition for Today, thankfully.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:21 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
trouble_jw wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
dennyelvis wrote:His Hand In Mine / How Great Thou Art that could be a winner, or maybe a xmas release ? i wouldnt mind a properly done CBS, using the best of admittedly poor performances, but the album would have been released in his lifetime, so lets do it !

Something like:
Disc 1: The Original Album
Disc 2: The Undubbed Rapid City concert from Multi-tracks.

I think that would make a great FTD.....but not Legacy release. Does nothing for his legacy. (and I'm pro-Elvis In Concert in general).

But it IS part of his legacy.
the live on stage in memphis concert doesnt do anything for his legacy either, but it was released anyhow because it was part of his legacy

The Memphis concert was a great show!! :smt006

Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:46 am

steve in SC wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
trouble_jw wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
dennyelvis wrote:His Hand In Mine / How Great Thou Art that could be a winner, or maybe a xmas release ? i wouldnt mind a properly done CBS, using the best of admittedly poor performances, but the album would have been released in his lifetime, so lets do it !

Something like:
Disc 1: The Original Album
Disc 2: The Undubbed Rapid City concert from Multi-tracks.

I think that would make a great FTD.....but not Legacy release. Does nothing for his legacy. (and I'm pro-Elvis In Concert in general).

But it IS part of his legacy.
the live on stage in memphis concert doesnt do anything for his legacy either, but it was released anyhow because it was part of his legacy

The Memphis concert was a great show!! :smt006

The Memphis show isn't bad but it's not great, IMO.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:32 pm

I think there's a need to get Elvis basic catalog back to retail. Much of it has been deleted. If not as Legacy releases , then in some other form. Major artists need to have their recordings in print . The Beatles, Stones , Dylan ,etc. have catalogs that are always in print. Not so, lately for Elvis .

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:55 pm

Next up should be a Sun release then in an ideal world an Elvis On Tour box like the recent TTWII set, with all four multi-track shows.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:28 pm

gantonicel@aol.com wrote:I think there's a need to get Elvis basic catalog back to retail. Much of it has been deleted. If not as Legacy releases , then in some other form. Major artists need to have their recordings in print . The Beatles, Stones , Dylan ,etc. have catalogs that are always in print. Not so, lately for Elvis .

The only time the Elvis catalogue wholly made sense was the 1990s with the original albums on CD, along with the decades boxes, the Essential series, and the double features series. Now it's a complete shambles.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:36 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
gantonicel@aol.com wrote:I think there's a need to get Elvis basic catalog back to retail. Much of it has been deleted. If not as Legacy releases , then in some other form. Major artists need to have their recordings in print . The Beatles, Stones , Dylan ,etc. have catalogs that are always in print. Not so, lately for Elvis .

The only time the Elvis catalogue wholly made sense was the 1990s with the original albums on CD, along with the decades boxes, the Essential series, and the double features series. Now it's a complete shambles.

Agreed - that was the ONLY time it made sense, with great boxset releases, some themed releases like the Essential series, & original albums with bonus tracks (hey like other artists). Then greed set in and we have the mess it is today. I blame some of this on Elvis fans. The bigwigs know the die hards & completists will buy every damn thing they throw at them, thus, the ridiculous number of releases. it is why I adopted a no repeat policy. I knew there was no hope when the Camdens got released and some fine 90's releases no longer were in print.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:00 am

r&b wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Agreed - that was the ONLY time it made sense, with great boxset releases, some themed releases like the Essential series, & original albums with bonus tracks (hey like other artists). Then greed set in and we have the mess it is today. I blame some of this on Elvis fans. The bigwigs know the die hards & completists will buy every damn thing they throw at them, thus, the ridiculous number of releases. it is why I adopted a no repeat policy. I knew there was no hope when the Camdens got released and some fine 90's releases no longer were in print.

I didn't have too much problems with the Camdens, as I they have nostalgic elements to them. And a couple are rather good albums. The problems seem to have come from the endless greatest hits albums which clutter up the catalogue. And, I guess, with internet shopping, nothing ever really gets taken out of the catalogue. Even if a disc came out of print in 2005, there's still an amazon page for it. But then, there are 80 Elvis compilations that must be in print to some degree because they are available via amazon prime.

The 2000(ish) editions of Moody Blue, Promised Land and On Stage only helped to muddy the waters, and it seems to have been a decline in common sense since then. There was an aborted attempt at budget releases of soundtracks, an aborted attempt at releasing 70s albums in the states with the new masters (Boulevard, Good Times and Now - I think), legacy editions that aren't actually legacy editions etc, and, as you say, many albums only available through 20 CD boxed sets, and some not available at all.