Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What next for the Legacy Edition Series?

Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:31 pm

Any ideas?

Perhaps...

Kissin' Cousins.jpg

Or perhaps not...

But maybe...

TV Special.jpg

who knows...

The Sun Collection.jpg

(Always preferred the original UK cover :wink:)

surely not...

Having Fun With Elvis On Stage.jpg

:shock:

or has the series come to it's natural conclusion?

What do you guys think, I've really enjoyed them so far and would welcome any more, but the old rule of diminishing returns has to come into play in all honesty at some point...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: What next for the Legacy Edition Series?

Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:36 pm

Moody Blue would be the last in the series, could be pretty interesting.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:40 pm

If I had my choice, I personally would love a to see a set dedicated to the original mono mixes of his singles from 1960 through 1972. They have released a few on the legacy series so far but the mixes we heard on radio when they were out would be great. I think it would be a neat set.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:40 pm

Nothing else from the 70s, that's for sure. Certainly not Moody Blue.

A balance needs to be addressed, which means more 50s and 60s Legacy Editions.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:47 pm

Elvis In Concert :D

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:07 pm

When In Rome wrote:Any ideas?

Perhaps...

Kissin' Cousins.jpg

Or perhaps not...

But maybe...

TV Special.jpg

who knows...

The Sun Collection.jpg

(Always preferred the original UK cover :wink:)

surely not...

Having Fun With Elvis On Stage.jpg

:shock:

or has the series come to it's natural conclusion?

What do you guys think, I've really enjoyed them so far and would welcome any more, but the old rule of diminishing returns has to come into play in all honesty at some point...

Have they covered 1976-1977 yet?

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:11 pm

Mike C wrote:If I had my choice, I personally would love a to see a set dedicated to the original mono mixes of his singles from 1960 through 1972. They have released a few on the legacy series so far but the mixes we heard on radio when they were out would be great. I think it would be a neat set.

That would interest me too, perhaps the 'Worldwide 50 Gold Award Hits' album and it's predecessor could be the starting point for that one, not sure if greatest hits compilations meet the Legacy criteria though...

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:34 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Elvis In Concert :D

Legacy Sinker Edition

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:38 pm

I can see the press release now...

"In 1970 1977, Elvis Presley fans were thrilled by the arrival of two cultural milestones: one an album, the other a full-length concert/documentary and each of them called "Elvis: That’s The Way It Is In Concert". Since then, aficionados of Elvis have been clamoring for a package that included both the album and the film TV special..."

Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:39 am

When In Rome wrote:

I can see the press release now...

"In 1970 1977, Elvis Presley fans were thrilled by the arrival of two cultural milestones: one an album, the other a full-length concert/documentary and each of them called "Elvis: That’s The Way It Is In Concert". Since then, aficionados of Elvis have been clamoring for a package that included both the album and the film TV special..."

lol, You should write in and offer your services for the next bunch of "insightful liner notes" !

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:08 am

King Volcano wrote:lol, You should write in and offer your services for the next bunch of "insightful liner notes" !

I don't know how Ernst holds his tongue when reading the awful liner notes and press releases that have graced Presley products the last couple of years.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:20 am

Matthew wrote:
King Volcano wrote:lol, You should write in and offer your services for the next bunch of "insightful liner notes" !

I don't know how Ernst holds his tongue when reading the awful liner notes and press releases that have graced Presley products the last couple of years.

He probably doesn't worry about those things outside his control.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:He probably doesn't worry about those things outside his control.

That's a shame, his own liner notes have been right on the money. We'd never see such drivel as Life being compared to My Sweet Lord:

"Elvis Presley celebrated the gift of life through the power of song and the message that an effective piece of material could engender. When he recorded Shirl Milete's "Life" as a trailer for the album, the humbling theology could easily have been viewed as an extension of George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord." Unfortunately, the public didn't take to Elvis being a holistic tree-hugger, and the single stalled just outside of the Top 50." - Stuart Colman, New York, October 2011 - booklet p20.

Ugh. How did anyone keep a straight face reading this gem.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:42 am

Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:He probably doesn't worry about those things outside his control.

That's a shame, his own liner notes have been right on the money. We'd never see such drivel as Life being compared to My Sweet Lord:

"Elvis Presley celebrated the gift of life through the power of song and the message that an effective piece of material could engender. When he recorded Shirl Milete's "Life" as a trailer for the album, the humbling theology could easily have been viewed as an extension of George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord." Unfortunately, the public didn't take to Elvis being a holistic tree-hugger, and the single stalled just outside of the Top 50." - Stuart Colman, New York, October 2011 - booklet p20.

It's undeniably disingenuous drivel, and adds nothing to the Legacy package.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:07 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:

It's undeniably disingenuous drivel, and adds nothing to the Legacy package.

I was told this morning it was as "excellent" Elvis song.

I never got the Legacy edition of the country album as the remasters of both albums were included in the 20 Original Albums set. Looking like I should have bought it for some light reading. That's nearly as amusing as Florence Kaye telling Ken Sharp that There's Gold in the Mountains was "sensual and sexual!"

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:02 am

Mike C wrote:If I had my choice, I personally would love a to see a set dedicated to the original mono mixes of his singles from 1960 through 1972. They have released a few on the legacy series so far but the mixes we heard on radio when they were out would be great. I think it would be a neat set.

I think that's a good idea, but I would go one step further. I 'd like to see a Legacy box set of all of Elvis charting 45's from 1954 to 1977 in chronological order. A sides and B sides - as long as they hit the charts.The 1960 -72 recordings would be represented by the original mono mixes. I think it would be the last word on Elvis greatest hits .

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:28 am

TINML wrote:Moody Blue would be the last in the series, could be pretty interesting.

Moody Blue has no business being graced with the Legacy Edition banner. Additionally, how could it be interesting? It would likely be a two-fer of Moody Blue and From EP Blvd -- not the finest era of The King's reign.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:45 am

I would die a happy man.... :D

Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

When In Rome wrote:Any ideas?

Perhaps......has the series come to it's natural conclusion?

Yes, but only on FTD! 8).

Yes, but only on FTD! 8).

Yes, this deserves a Legacy editon 3 cd set release a la Prince From Another Planet/Elvis At Stax, including the wire recording of I Forgot To Remember To Forget :smt007.

phpBB [video]

Bye for now :smt006.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:47 pm

What is there to release from the '68 special? I mean, didn't we have the 4 disc commercial release only a few years ago, all remastered. What would a legacy version cover?

For me, there isn't a lot of 'Joe Public' type releases left in the series. Maybe (some at a push):

Sun Collection

Golden Records 1/ Golden Records 2

King Creole / Loving You

GI Blues / Blue Hawaii

Gold Records 3/ Gold Records 4

His Hand In Mine / How Great Thou Art

Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:51 pm

His Hand In Mine / How Great Thou Art that could be a winner, or maybe a xmas release ? i wouldnt mind a properly done CBS, using the best of admittedly poor performances, but the album would have been released in his lifetime, so lets do it !

Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:58 pm

There's only two titles on your list that I would definitely buy:

The Sun Collection and His Hand In Mine/How Great Thou Art.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:31 pm

dennyelvis wrote:His Hand In Mine / How Great Thou Art that could be a winner, or maybe a xmas release ? i wouldnt mind a properly done CBS, using the best of admittedly poor performances, but the album would have been released in his lifetime, so lets do it !

Something like:
Disc 1: The Original Album
Disc 2: The Undubbed Rapid City concert from Multi-tracks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:46 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
dennyelvis wrote:His Hand In Mine / How Great Thou Art that could be a winner, or maybe a xmas release ? i wouldnt mind a properly done CBS, using the best of admittedly poor performances, but the album would have been released in his lifetime, so lets do it !

Something like:

I think that would make a great FTD.....but not Legacy release. Does nothing for his legacy. (and I'm pro-Elvis In Concert in general).

Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:52 pm

trouble_jw wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

Something like:

I think that would make a great FTD.....but not Legacy release. Does nothing for his legacy. (and I'm pro-Elvis In Concert in general).

But it IS part of his legacy.
the live on stage in memphis concert doesnt do anything for his legacy either, but it was released anyhow because it was part of his legacy