Holy Toledo --> Presley Pummels His Accuser!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Holy Toledo --> Presley Pummels His Accuser!

Post by drjohncarpenter »

This past weekend I came across this lovely report on Elvis' 11-22-1956 appearances in Toledo, Ohio:

561123_Toledo Blade p01.JPG
Toledo Blade - Friday, November 23, 1956
Ironically, in exactly seven years America would be turned upside down by a much greater world-changing event.

Staff writer Charles W. Gilmore is clearly over thirty and far from a fan of the new music, or its avatar. In the course of the review, which notes only one or two songs by name, we learn that Elvis had been jumped at the hotel the night before, and it is to the newspaperman's credit he soberly reports that the singer was not at fault.

Even now, it is kind of cool to read that when a 19 year-old named Louis Balint complained to Elvis his wife carried a picture of the singer, and none of him, it became a "free for all" that "was broken up by police, who found Presley pummeling his accuser," someone who tried to throw guitarist Scotty Moore over a railing!

This all sounds more than a little like something we'd see in his 1957 Paramount vehicle "Loving You"!

Pretty cool.

Finally, don't miss "Elvis" the lion cub, also featured on page 1, at center bottom. ;-)

_____

By sheer coincidence, the online version of the paper today printed a recap of the above, along with an unedited print of a great live shot we see on the front page from 1956!

Elvis Presley, Toledo Sports Arena - Thursday, November 22, 1956
Photo:
Bob Jacobs, Toledo Blade

http://www.toledoblade.com/memories/2014/08/11/Monday-Memories-Elvis-Presley-shakes-up-Toledo.html

Thanks to member Julian Grant for finding the online article.

'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Mood:

Re: Holy Toledo --> Presley Pummels His Accuser!

Post by keninlincs »

Thanks for the topic John

-instagram kenh1964

promiseland
Registered for: 13 years

Post by promiseland »

Another cool topic by The Doc!
It's amazing at just how often the center of attention on Presley's live shows are almost always pointed at a 34 year old Elvis in Las Vegas 1969 here at FECC. When in reality NOTHING touched Presley at 21 -22 years old in '56 & '57. This is the real Elvis Presley, the one that turned this world inside out. Elvis Presley live from 1969 to 1977 was nothing compared to the Tiger Man of the '50s.

As John Lennon Quoted :
Up until Elvis joined the army, I thought it was beautiful music and Elvis was for me and my generation what the Beatles were to the '60s. But after he went into the army, I think they cut "les bollocks" off. They not only shaved his hair off but I think they shaved between his legs, too. He played some good stuff after the army, but it was never quite the same, It was like something happened to him psychologically. Elvis really died the day he joined the army. That's when they killed him, and the rest was a living death."

prosp68
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by prosp68 »

Great shot of King. Thanks Doc!

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

keninlincs wrote:Thanks for the topic John
My pleasure!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by rjm »

Thanks! That's even wilder than "Loving You"! The guy tried to throw poor Scotty over the railing! Wow. :shock:

Maybe a feature film would BE of interest!

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

promiseland wrote:
Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:35 am
Another cool topic by The Doc!
It's amazing at just how often the center of attention on Presley's live shows are almost always pointed at a 34 year old Elvis in Las Vegas 1969 here at FECC. When in reality NOTHING touched Presley at 21 -22 years old in '56 & '57. This is the real Elvis Presley, the one that turned this world inside out. Elvis Presley live from 1969 to 1977 was nothing compared to the Tiger Man of the '50s.

As John Lennon Quoted :
Up until Elvis joined the army, I thought it was beautiful music and Elvis was for me and my generation what the Beatles were to the '60s. But after he went into the army, I think they cut "les bollocks" off. They not only shaved his hair off but I think they shaved between his legs, too. He played some good stuff after the army, but it was never quite the same, It was like something happened to him psychologically. Elvis really died the day he joined the army. That's when they killed him, and the rest was a living death."

That's quite a statement from the great John Lennon. No matter what one may think of his opinion, there's no denying how powerful Elvis was in the 1950s.

Looking at the November 22nd Toledo date, it was Thanksgiving Day, 1956. The singer delivered two packed shows. "Love Me Tender" was hitting theaters and the title song was sitting at the top of the charts.

Among the disc jockeys there was Ron Ross from WOWO Radio (Fort Wayne).

According to the Flynn session site he got an interview on tape with Presley just before the first performance. Ross also managed to tape his introduction of the star and the first three songs of the set, "Heartbreak Hotel," "Long Tall Sally" and "Don't Be Cruel." With any luck these recordings will see official release someday.

For those who wanted to see the Toledo Blade review in full detail, it's below, along with a WOWO publicity photo of Ross.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by mysterytrainrideson »

Well, what can one say....Elvis in 1956 is god!

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by paulsweeney »

That's one heck of a great photo!

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

promiseland wrote: As John Lennon Quoted :
Never did agree with that statement entirely... but another great post John!!
That concert performance picture is spectacular!!

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

And . . . I found today two backstage photos in Toledo of WOWO Radio disc jockey Ron Ross interviewing Elvis!

Now, where is that recording that we have yet to enjoy? It's only been 67 years . . .

'

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

Wow(o)! What a great find. You're right, it would be even better to hear that tape. Keep up the good work Doc

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Jaime1234 »

According to Marlo Lewis, Sullivan's producer, a staffer from CBS NY argued that he had seen Elvis hang a bottle inside his pants at a reent concert and that he was going to do it again, this time for a significant amount of the TV viewewrship to watch. Could it have been this reporter who spoke to the CBS NY staffer? Whatever, there was no bottle

https://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/pictures/img/elvis/50s/56/1956-nov22-toledo.jpg

Here Lewis "checks" if there is no bottle, up close..LOL
https://scontent.fmga3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/434186976_25167256762888932_1335116362961516293_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=n5SPhx0rf3QAX8GuBKo&_nc_ht=scontent.fmga3-1.fna&oh=00_AfA-Xn6UrVhsxooLkbni4O8_iryVyYtpDWJw_f_r0leCDQ&oe=660F4441

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

AndrewJ wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:16 pm
Wow(o)! What a great find. You're right, it would be even better to hear that tape. Keep up the good work Doc

Apparently, it exists. But unless WOWO's Ron Ross asked some clever or intelligent questions it's likely not a whole lot different than any of the dozen or so we have from 1956.

Still, it would be fun to hear. Maybe Elvis is asked about the pummeling he gave that dude who attacked him.

Heh.

Plus, of course, the opening three songs of the set!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Keith
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Keith »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
AndrewJ wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:16 pm

Apparently, it exists. But unless WOWO's Ron Ross asked some clever or intelligent questions it's likely not a whole lot different than any of the dozen or so we have from 1956.

Still, it would be fun to hear. Maybe Elvis is asked about the pummeling he gave that dude who attacked him.

Heh.

Plus, of course, the opening three songs of the set!
Ron didn't ask any intelligent questions really, and he didn't ask about Elvis pummeling anyone either, but you'll all be able to hear it all soon enough, along with what was recorded from the show itself.

And I've had those photos of Ron Ross and Elvis on my site for a while now, by the way, taken from the 90th Anniversary podcast of WOWO radio, which I actually link to.

Keith

sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years

Post by sweetangeline »

what happened to the comment Keith "not on the official label as Ernst wasn't interested"??

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

sweetangeline wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:10 am
what happened to the comment Keith "not on the official label as Ernst wasn't interested"??

Not sure what that's about, but Ernst might be delighted to see all the photos and information posted here, where everyone can enjoy.

:wink:

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

sweetangeline

Post by sweetangeline »

Keith wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:04 am
but you'll all be able to hear it all soon enough, along with what was recorded from the show itself.
from what label?? official or non-official??

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

sweetangeline wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:14 pm

Hopefully not via a shady, grey market imprint.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

sweetangeline

Post by sweetangeline »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:59 pm
sweetangeline wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:14 pm

Hopefully not via a shady, grey market imprint.
well I`m surprised that Ernst has no interest?? guess it`s not something to get all shook up about.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

sweetangeline wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:37 pm
well I`m surprised that Ernst has no interest?? guess it`s not something to get all shook up about.

No one has any idea about what his interest may be in a 67 year-old interview and a handful of opening songs.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

sweetangeline

Post by sweetangeline »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:13 am
sweetangeline wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:37 pm

No one has any idea about what his interest may be in a 67 year-old interview and a handful of opening songs.
well from what Keith first posted before it was deleted it suggested one person knew, but maybe it was an honest mistake when first posted and that`s why it`s gone...if that`s the case so be it.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

sweetangeline wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:14 am
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:13 am

well from what Keith first posted before it was deleted it suggested one person knew, but maybe it was an honest mistake when first posted and that`s why it`s gone...if that`s the case so be it.

Take such things with a grain of salt, as they say.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

Is this the tape that was suggested and then when we all guessed what it was the drawbridge went up??

Looking forward to hearing it sometime soon though

sweetangeline

Post by sweetangeline »

AndrewJ wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:49 am
Is this the tape that was suggested and then when we all guessed what it was the drawbridge went up??
many drawbridges in the Elvis world for sure :wink: