Final Countdown To Midnight on youtube

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Re: Final Countdown To Midnight on youtube

Post by Johnny2523 »

Oh btw. Im glad i can find more enjoyement out of elvis his performances then you, It must be a sad life not enjoying the mans music right up until the end ;)

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Vinnie Terranova
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Vinnie Terranova »

Matthew wrote:More power to you, but listing a handful of individual performances that you deem "good" doesn't change the record of that terrible year.

For the most part Elvis' shows were weak sounding, laboured, lethargic affairs, with thin, weak vocals masked by the occasional belter to "bring down the house".

As Shane states, Elvis' show quality on December 31st, 1976 should have been the bare minimum for all of his shows at this time. Sadly they were all far from it.

Elvis should not have walked onto a concert stage even once in 1977.

If he had only realized that as he walked off that Pittsburgh stage that early morning.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Johnny2523 wrote:For the most part.. is not all shows.
I said every tour was a train wreck, one or two, hell even three passable shows does not make a tour "good".

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Matthew wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:For the most part.. is not all shows.
I said every tour was a train wreck, one or two, hell even three passable shows does not make a tour "good".
uhh in my book every single tour being a trainwreck counts as every show being a trainwreck

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Johnny2523 wrote:Oh btw. Im glad i can find more enjoyement out of elvis his performances then you, It must be a sad life not enjoying the mans music right up until the end ;)
Not in the least. My life is very rich, and Elvis is just one artist I enjoy.

Thankfully he made a mountain of great recordings before things fell completely off the rails right at the end.

If I want to feel sorry for Elvis I'll give Spring Tours a spin, if I want to enjoy Elvis I'll dig deep into his plentiful catalogue.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Johnny2523 wrote:uhh in my book every single tour being a trainwreck counts as every show being a trainwreck
That sounds like a pretty awful book then, you should probably return it and get a better one.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Johnny2523 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:It's nice to see this footage - although a little unfair putting it up complete on youtube, I feel. I don't support bootleggers anymore, but even so it seems a bit hasty (and those putting FTDs up on youtube certainly do no-one any favours).

That said, it's nice footage, and good to see Elvis sounding on good form at this point. Sadly, though, it also puts into perspective the average shows from this period. This NYE show is, after all, at least the standard that Elvis should have been performing at every night.
What's the reason for not supporting bootleggers anymore?
When FTD started it was a way of fighting against bootleggers. In other words, the label itself would give fans a steady supply of what they wanted instead. That's when I stopped buying. But sadly, many still want their cake and eat it. So, if a bootleg comes out of an unreleased show and they buy it, they then moan when FTD brings it out as well, and the sales for FTD goes down.

I'm one of FTDs sharpest critics on here, and I believe that their work is often much shoddier than it needs to be (wrong tape speeds, typos, mastering errors etc) BUT I do agree with what they stand/stood for. However, fans want it all ways and, by doing so, they may well be putting the stops on certain concerts being released officially (we've been told that's not the case, but it has to come into play) and ultimately depriving FTD of funds when FTD does release bootlegged materials as some people just stick with their bootleg.

FTD provides fans with more than enough to keep them going without turning to the bootleggers.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Johnny2523 wrote: feb 21. Elvis looked great, and performed his only version of moody blue, a rare reconsider baby (Awesome version) and other good performances.
When Fort Baxter released a CD called "Moody Blue and other Great Performances" I did wonder if fans should sue under the Trades Description Act. There are some interesting performances from that tour simply because of their rarity, but that doesn't make them great, it makes them curios. Elvis is an appalling state in these shows, and his voice betrays that all too often. He tries hard, there are times when he even seems to be enjoying himself, but vocally these shows are devastating.
Last edited by poormadpeter on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

poormadpeter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote: feb 21. Elvis looked great, and performed his only version of moody blue, a rare reconsider baby (Awesome version) and other good performances.
When Fort Baxter released a CD called "Moody Blue and other Great Performances" I did wonder if fans should sue under the Trades Description Act. There are some interesting performances from that tour simply because of their rarity, but that doesn't make them great, it makes them curios. Elvis is an appalling state in these shows, and his voice betrays all too often. He tries hard, there are times when he even seems to be enjoying himself, but vocally these shows are devastating.
I remember that release well, and I agree with your assessment.

King Volcano

Post by King Volcano »

Johnny2523 wrote:Oh btw. Im glad i can find more enjoyement out of elvis his performances then you, It must be a sad life not enjoying the mans music right up until the end ;)
In my opinion, not as sad as being able to enjoy the "up until the end" sight and sound of the greatest singer of the 20th-century, and a good man, reduced to an ill, hollow shell through illness, abuse and pressure.

Have you forgotten..

"Are you lonesome tonight... and I was, and I am.."