Elvis Presley and Roy Orbison

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Axeman
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Re: Elvis Presley and Roy Orbison

Post by Axeman »

charro1971 wrote: The first time Roy supposedly saw Elvis was in 1954 before That’s All Right had even been released. Roy borrowed his father’s car and drove 200 miles to Dallas Sportatorium where he saw Elvis perform at a C&W jamboree.
Great post, Charro, but the above statement seems impossible. I don't think Elvis performed anywhere before Sun 209 was released... I think his debut was at the end of that month, July 1954.

charro1971
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by charro1971 »

Gitchops83 wrote:Did elvis offer him a pepsi?
Close; maybe even true! Apparently there was a photo of Roy and Elvis drinking sodas together in the 1950s...

“I had a photo of Roy and Elvis years ago that Claudette gave me. Roy and Elvis were at a booth in a café, drinking a soda. Regretfully, I lost it at sea, when I was in the Navy.” Bill Frady (younger brother of Roy's first wife, Claudette) November 2004.

"A song from my recent TV show, which was pretty bad, but you know... you can't win 'em all!" - Elvis Presley (August 25 1969 DS)
"My favourite guitar player on lead guitar, say hello to James Burton. Young man on rhythm guitar; he's fair to mediocre, John Wilkinson." (February 19 1970 MS)
"My mouth feels like Bob Dylan slept in it." (February 21 1971 MS)
"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, my name is B.B. King" (August 16 1971 MS)
"Ed Sullivan looked at me and said "mmm, son of a b**ch." Nah, he's a nice... old chap." (January 27 1973 DS)
"I'm allowed on stage for 55 minutes to 1 hour. That's what they say. I say about 35 minutes!" (March 22 1975 MS)

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

MikeFromHolland wrote:Can't contribute anything of essence to this thread. Can only share a small observation: it seems that Elvis and Roy wore the same jacket on the pics below. Can it be a present from one to the other?

Roy's pic comes from:
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotlight_bigOmeetselvis.html
You can see Elvis wearing this jacket in Germany, so this is not possible.

Holding a Bavarian-style doll in actress Vera Tschechowa's pad, Freseniusstrasse 40, Munich - Tuesday, March 3, 1959

The story goes that Roy liked the jacket when he saw Elvis wearing one in "Jailhouse Rock" PR shots and RCA releases.

When Orbison learned it was from Lansky Brothers in Memphis, he bought one.

Sonny James, Roy Orbison, unknown - circa 1957

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Must have been a favorite jacket. Elvis wore it often.

Thanks for shining light on my suggestion.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

MikeFromHolland wrote:Can't contribute anything of essence to this thread. Can only share a small observation: it seems that Elvis and Roy wore the same jacket on the pics below. Can it be a present from one to the other?
There is a short, funny, first-hand account by Roy himself about that jacket. I will look for it, scan the relevant article and post it here.

This matter has been mentioned in several places over the years, but I have never read an explanation that coincides with Roy's story.

Stay tuned, folks.

GuyLambert
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by GuyLambert »

Hi Doc...I believe the "unknown" in the photo is Sanford Clark, who recorded The Fool. Both photos of Roy in the jacket were taken by Cleveland deejay Tommy Edwards, on Thursday, March 14, 1957, backstage at the "Rock A Billy Spectacular" at the Music Hall in Cleveland.
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Roy's pic comes from:
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotlight_bigOmeetselvis.html
You can see Elvis wearing this jacket in Germany, so this is not possible.

Holding a Bavarian-style doll in actress Vera Tschechowa's pad, Freseniusstrasse 40, Munich - Tuesday, March 3, 1959

The story goes that Roy liked the jacket when he saw Elvis wearing one in "Jailhouse Rock" PR shots and RCA releases.

When Orbison learned it was from Lansky Brothers in Memphis, he bought one.

Sonny James, Roy Orbison, unknown - circa 1957

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Mister Moon wrote:
There is a short, funny, first-hand account by Roy himself about that jacket. I will look for it, scan the relevant article and post it here.

This matter has been mentioned in several places over the years, but I have never read an explanation that coincides with Roy's story.

Stay tuned, folks.
Well, it took me almost two years, but a promise is a promise.

Here it is, folks. It's not much, but this may be the only recorded explanation to the striped jacket mystery :

920400 Fein Orbison.jpg

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Charlie Feathers shopped at Lansky's too !

Feathers Lansky jacket (2).jpg