Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Re: Elvis Presley and Roy Orbison

Post by brian »

r&b wrote:
brian wrote:Elvis probably didn't pay attention to anything Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison or Carl Perkins were doing.

Why should he have really.

Although I'm sure he was aware that they were all playing concerts overseas.
Because throughout the 60's they were consistently turning out better music than he was.
Because of that he should have paid attention to what they were doing in the 1970s.

charro1971
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by charro1971 »

Jim Dandy wrote:Has anyone got that image of Roy at his 40th birthday concert held in a large arena with just 100 standing around the stage when he performed? Its a sad photo, but puts things in to perspective about the state of his career at the time. If you have it, please post it - I haven't seen it for 20 years.
That was a terribly sad moment. Roy performed two concerts on 23 April 1976 at Cincinnati Gardens, his 40th birthday as you say. Orbison fan, David Shoenfelt, attended both shows and took photos. He has said that the main event was actually a Van-a-rama auto show and that Roy was at the other end of the hall with fewer than 100 watching. Roy performed the same songs in both shows but added a rare performance of Evergreen to the second show. He deserved so much better...

I know the photo you mean. I'll see if I can locate it...

"A song from my recent TV show, which was pretty bad, but you know... you can't win 'em all!" - Elvis Presley (August 25 1969 DS)
"My favourite guitar player on lead guitar, say hello to James Burton. Young man on rhythm guitar; he's fair to mediocre, John Wilkinson." (February 19 1970 MS)
"My mouth feels like Bob Dylan slept in it." (February 21 1971 MS)
"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, my name is B.B. King" (August 16 1971 MS)
"Ed Sullivan looked at me and said "mmm, son of a b**ch." Nah, he's a nice... old chap." (January 27 1973 DS)
"I'm allowed on stage for 55 minutes to 1 hour. That's what they say. I say about 35 minutes!" (March 22 1975 MS)

Gitchops83

Post by Gitchops83 »

Last edited by Gitchops83 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

I'm stuffed if I can find that shot I referred to either.
I initially saw it in some old rock & roll history book that included an image of James Burton circa 1979 holding the Elvis In Concert double LP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

mike edwards66
Registered for: 12 years

Post by mike edwards66 »

charro1971 wrote:The Crawdaddy magazine interview with Roy is from 1974. That means it's the March 14 1974 Elvis concert in Murfreesboro that Roy saw and thought was "terrible".
If only we could see, and analyze, the full interview that Crawdaddy's Greg Mitchell did with Roy Orbison. Only then, will we know the context of Roy's comments.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

charro1971

Post by charro1971 »

Here are two more photos from April 23 1976. I can't find one that shows the audience in front of Roy but in this one you can see that the seats/stands behind Roy are completely empty.
orbison 76.jpeg
Cincy OH.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"A song from my recent TV show, which was pretty bad, but you know... you can't win 'em all!" - Elvis Presley (August 25 1969 DS)
"My favourite guitar player on lead guitar, say hello to James Burton. Young man on rhythm guitar; he's fair to mediocre, John Wilkinson." (February 19 1970 MS)
"Ed Sullivan looked at me and said "mmm, son of a b**ch." Nah, he's a nice... old chap." (January 27 1973 DS)
"I'm allowed on stage for 55 minutes to 1 hour. That's what they say. I say about 35 minutes!" (March 22 1975 MS)

Gitchops83

Post by Gitchops83 »

Geez that must of been crushing for him today's brats wouldn't even take to the stage what a professional.

charro1971

Post by charro1971 »

mike edwards66 wrote:
charro1971 wrote:The Crawdaddy magazine interview with Roy is from 1974. That means it's the March 14 1974 Elvis concert in Murfreesboro that Roy saw and thought was "terrible".
If only we could see, and analyze, the full interview that Crawdaddy's Greg Mitchell did with Roy Orbison. Only then, will we know the context of Roy's comments.
Your wish is my command...

http://gregmitchellwriter.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/meeting-roy-orbison.html

More about the interview is in the Roy Orbison book Dark Star. It's more of an article with Roy's comments here and there but one wouldn't think the interviewer was lying.

JamesVRoy
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by JamesVRoy »

r&b wrote:
Tony.. wrote:Is there actually a pic of them together?? I don't think so. And we're still waiting for the "Roy Orbison show" Elvis guest spot footage to materialise!!
Suprisingly, no. I have never seen one of them together.
drjohncarpenter wrote:All the photos in this topic are fakes, but there is at least one genuine image, from Texas in October 1955, that is in private hands.

John's right, there is a picture of them together at Pop Holifield's home in Midland, TX taken by his son Cecil in 55. I've seen it, he sent me a copy. I'm not at liberty to post it though, respecting the family's wishes. You can read a bit about it here http://scottymoore.net/cholifield.html

We discussed it in a thread a couple of years ago, http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67958

mike edwards66

Post by mike edwards66 »

charro1971 wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:
Your wish is my command...

http://gregmitchellwriter.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/meeting-roy-orbison.html
Thanks, but unfortunately, that is not the Crawdaddy interview. That is a blog, where Greg Mitchell talks about the circumstances surrounding his interview with Roy Orbison.

I myself posted that very blog in another 'Roy topic' (now deleted, I think) a while back.
charro1971 wrote:More about the interview is in the Roy Orbison book Dark Star. It's more of an article with Roy's comments here and there but one wouldn't think the interviewer was lying.
There is no more, really, about the interview in 'Dark Star', than in the blog. The situatation remains, we need to see, and analyze the full Greg Mitchell Crawdaddy interview with 'The Big O'. Only then will we know the context of any comments made by Roy.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

Topic author
jungoking
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by jungoking »

I agree with Mike - we must see that 1974 interview in its original word for word format to understand the context of Roy's comments. However, this is all fascinating information :D

Topic author
jungoking

Post by jungoking »

Also it's a shame that the photo of Roy and Elvis is held privately. It's a matter or opinion, but you can't take these things to heaven with you! Why not release it or even put it in a domain to get a commission?

charro1971

Post by charro1971 »

jungoking wrote:Also it's a shame that the photo of Roy and Elvis is held privately. It's a matter or opinion, but you can't take these things to heaven with you! Why not release it or even put it in a domain to get a commission?
Agreed. So many people would love to see this picture. What's this guy going to do with it? Take it to the grave with him when he passes away and deprive the world of it?

charro1971

Post by charro1971 »

A better answer than my initial one to your question. Something I whipped up this afternoon :wink:

The topic is of much interest to me as I used to be a bigger Roy Orbison fan. (Reaction of FECC = :shock: ) I used to only like Elvis in 1968. The Great Performances VHS made me think as a child that immediately after 1968 Elvis wore white jumpsuits, became depressed, took drugs, only sang sad songs and looked ill. As a child, watching Elvis sing Unchained Melody in Rapid City was as scary as watching Jeepers Creepers! It was many years (around 12 years old) till I discovered the wonders of 70s Elvis. One day I decided to buy Raised on Rock and I thought it was excellent then I discovered Aloha and really liked it. Then Madison Square Garden... then I discovered that Elvis was as good in 1969 and Jan/Feb 1970 as he was in 1968. Of course I have come to like 50s Elvis as well. So nowadays I consider both Elvis and Roy as my two favourite singers.

Roy and Elvis - their relationship, connections etc.

The first time Roy supposedly saw Elvis was in 1954 before That’s All Right had even been released. Roy borrowed his father’s car and drove 200 miles to Dallas Sportatorium where he saw Elvis perform at a C&W jamboree. Speaking in 1980 to New Musical Express Roy said “There are a lot of people who are good actors at singing so that they make you think they sound good but, with Elvis, he lives it altogether.”

It has also been said that Elvis appeared on Roy’s local Texas TV show. In 1955 when Elvis appeared at Panther Hall, Roy as a star of local TV wormed his way backstage to invite him to guest on a Pioneer furniture broadcast. During the fleeting conversation in the bustling dressing room, Orbison was flattered when Elvis readily agreed to a two-song intermission spot before the studio audience. Again it’s debatable whether this story is true.

In 1956 Roy, as part of The Teen Kings, was opening for Sonny James, Johnny Horton and Johnny Cash with his song Ooby Dooby. Apparently Elvis saw their show in Memphis and called it a “Marvellous show”, adding “Well, I’ll tell you one thing: you’re that good that I’ll never appear on stage with you.” Roy is said to have guarded as a relic forever the Polaroid snapshot taken of himself and Elvis on that night. Many are very doubtful about this story though. On the other hand, there’s Billy Pat Ellis’ testimony. According to the Teen Kings’ disgruntled drummer, the only thing that Elvis had to say backstage that night was to Jack Kennelly, praising him as “a damn good bass player.” Billy Pat can’t really be trusted either because he was bitter about Roy getting rid of the Teen Kings and wanting to be a lone singer. We’ll probably never know what really happened.

It is also said that Roy was invited to parties at Graceland by Elvis. In an interview with Radio Merseyside Roy said “One night, we went by to pick up Elvis’ girlfriend in his purple Cadillac – I think he was making 20 million a year at the time. When he knocked on the door, the girl said “I’m sorry. You’re too late,” and walked back in. We all went on to his house and had Pepsi Colas and potato chips. I couldn’t believe that some woman would turn down a date with Elvis Presley.”

It’s obvious that in the 50s Roy was trying to be like Elvis. The song Ooby Dooby was similar to the stuff Elvis was playing and the B-side of Roy’s first single was Trying To Get To You. There are also informal recordings from around this time of Roy singing I Want You I Need You I Love You, I Was The One, That’s All Right and Tutti Frutti. Later on at Sun Roy would experiment with songs like This Kind of Love and I Never Knew that are more like his 60s hits. Roy only began to realise in 1959 with songs like Pretty One and Uptown at Monument Records that he was more successful when he was his own man. In 1958 he had had a brief spell at RCA, clearly following Elvis’ career, with Chet Atkins, which produced no worthy songs.

Roy famously offered his first big hit, Only The Lonely, to Elvis before he even recorded it. Roy said the following about it in the 1988 Rollingstone interview “I’d co-written that song but wasn’t planning to record it. I actually drove to Elvis’s house with the idea of offering the song to him. But Elvis was asleep (laughs). Just couldn’t rouse him. So I figured I’d give it a go myself. When I had a hit with it everything changed. After that I’d write the kind of songs that best suited my voice.” Only The Lonely went to number 1 in England for two weeks (then overtaken by It’s Now Or Never) and 2 in the US.

One of Roy’s biggest hobbies was riding motorcycles but this hobby causes him a lot of problems. He broke his ankle in 1966 while on tour in the UK and had to perform the rest of his shows sitting on a stool. Far worse was the tragic motorcycle accident just a few months later that killed his first wife, Claudette. Roy said that he got this liking of motorcycles from Elvis: “It was Elvis who, without knowing it, made me a motorcycling fan. I saw a cycle outside Sun Records studio... somebody told me it belonged to Elvis Presley. I finally managed to get to take a cycle ride with the fellow who bought that machine from Elvis and that was the start of it.”

There is no record of Elvis and Roy seeing each other in the 60s. Elvis was busy making movies while Roy was mostly performing in Europe, Australia and Canada. Elvis was obviously aware of Roy’s many hits from 1960-1964 and people have said that one of his favourite songs to listen to again and again at Graceland was Orbison’s It’s Over. Roy’s rhythm guitarist from c.1963-1968 Bobby Goldsboro happened to be on a flight to Los Angeles with Elvis and his entourage in the 70s. Bobby said in an interview: “The plane stopped in Memphis and Elvis and his entourage got on. Later his piano player David Briggs came over and said, “Elvis wants to meet you.” Then Elvis came up and sat with me all the way to L.A. All he wanted to talk about was Orbison! He was in awe of Roy’s voice.”

Roy tried his hand in the movie business starring in The Fastest Guitar Alive in 1967, which was a critical and commercial failure. Roy was obviously still looking up to Elvis as someone to follow after. Apparently the film had originally been offered to Elvis but it was considered too rubbish. Roy didn’t suit being an actor at all. This was one area in which Elvis was far superior. Roy did like Elvis’ early films, saying in 1987 “Once I started seeing his movies other than King Creole and Jailhouse Rock, I thought they were mistakes.”

Roy went to see Elvis perform in the February 20 1970 DS. Elvis was wearing the Blue Broquade suit and put on a spectacular performance full of jokes and powerhouse performances, as was typical of this Vegas engagement. (Unfortunately RCA had removed their recording equipment following the previous day’s midnight show) How can Roy not have been impressed with a February 1970 Elvis concert. During the show Elvis jokingly introduced Glen Hardin as Roy Orbison before properly introducing Roy, saying to the audience “There’s a gentleman in the audience, ladies and gentlemen, that I’d like to introduce you to. He is one of the finest singers in the business and always has been. We started out about the same time at Sun Records. I’d like you to say hello to Roy Orbison.”

In 1971 soon after the release of That’s The Way It Is Roy started wearing white jumpsuits for the first time in his concerts. In addition to this he added Sweet Caroline to his set-list in 1971 and Bridge Over Troubled Water the following year (Roy very rarely sang other people’s songs live). Surely this cannot be a coincidence!

Roy took friends and family to Elvis’ concert in Murfreesboro, Tennessee on March 14 1974 about which, according to a 1974 interview with Crawdaddy magazine, Roy said “it was terrible”. The author of the book Dark Star uses this to argue that Roy never liked Elvis until after Elvis’ compliment in 1976 but an out-of-context, unclear comment from Crawdaddy magazine is not the most reliable source in the world.

1976 has to have been Roy’s least successful year. None of his singles charted anywhere in the world and a UK and Australian release of his album I’m Still In Love With You was cancelled due to poor US sales. Roy had been completely forgotten in America. Orbison fans in America have talked about how his LPs were very difficult to get hold of in the 70s and the LP shop owners would give you a funny look if you asked for Roy Orbison. The lowest point was April 23 1976 – Roy performed two shows at Cincinnati Gardens on his 40th birthday in front of fewer than 100. His concert wasn’t even the main event; a Van-A-Rama Auto Show was the main event. Orbison fan David Shoenfelt attended and took photos of the event. The reason for Roy’s visit to Elvis’ show on December 4 1976 in Vegas could well have been to try to figure out what he was doing wrong and to see if Elvis could help propel him back into the limelight. At the same dinner show was Engelbert Humperdinck, sitting in a booth next to Roy. Elvis joked during the show “They’re some of the finest singers in the world so that’s why... I have to be good.” “Next to him is one of the finest singers of all time... Roy Orbison [sings line “It’s Over”]. Roy later recounted how he met Elvis backstage after the show, saying that he looked well and they talked about the 50s. In March and April 1977 Roy undertook a big tour of Europe, playing bigger venues than the year before. This time he was playing with a full orchestra, had a grand opening theme and closing theme, had his band members do solos and would wear white jumpsuits with various designs, including one that looked very similar to Elvis’ white fringe suit. These concerts were stunning – they featured all Roy’s usual repertoire but also rarities like Falling and Drifting. 3 soundboards from the tour exist: live at Jollee’s Club, Live in Sheffield and Live at the Drury Lane Theatre, London. Shockingly, none of these has been officially released.

Roy is said to have “cried like a baby” when Elvis died by several biographers (no doubt an exaggeration). Not sure where this quote comes from originally. Roy paid tribute to Elvis multiple times. He joined Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis for the 1977 Johnny Cash Christmas Special to sing This Train. Then on a special tribute show on what would have been Elvis’ 43rd birthday (January 8 1978) Roy performed Running Scared and Crying with pictures of Elvis in the background. Just 10 days later Roy would be rushed to hospital and have to have a triple heart bypass. In 1984 Roy sang short versions of Don’t Be Cruel and Hound Dog at a special Elvis tribute ceremony during an American football match. In addition to this Roy regularly sang his own tribute song to Elvis, Hound Dog Man, in his shows from 1980-1984.

Fast forward to September 1987 and Roy was performing the legendary Black and White Night concert backed by Elvis’ TCB band. The look on Roy’s face when James Burton plays one of his incredible guitar solos in Ooby Dooby gives away his admiration for these guys and his amazement that he’s playing with Elvis’ group. I don’t mean to disrespect all of Roy’s various bands over the years but TCB were really so much better than all of them. Black and White Night is for sure the best concert Roy ever gave.
In the 80s Roy was often asked about Elvis in interviews and he always spoke glowingly about him.It is clear that both had a mutual admiration and respect for each other. They both knew each other’s music very well also. I remember reading one interview (can’t remember which one) where Roy was talking about him and Elvis performing their Sun records and he knew that Elvis started performing That’s All Right as his opening song in 1970. Reversely, Elvis seemed to know all the words for Roy’s song Running Scared when he started singing it in July 1970 when rehearsing Tomorrow Never Comes. Both Roy and Elvis are deservedly legends.

Pictures from Roy's successful March/April 1977 tour of Europe:
Jollee's Club album cover.png
1977 UK.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by charro1971 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

charro1971

Post by charro1971 »

Roy singing Running Scared on Elvis Tribute show January 8 1978. The host of the show says just before that Running Scared and Crying were Elvis' two favourite Roy Orbison songs.

Roy singing Don't Be Cruel and Hound Dog at an Elvis tribute ceremony at half-time of a football game in 1984:

kkn
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by kkn »

In 2009 a cd appeared called
Roy Orbison and Faron Young sing Elvis Presley and others! It is unprofessional homerecordings but here you can hear early versions of some Elvis songs. Rather interesting

Topic author
jungoking

Post by jungoking »

Wow Mr Charro Man, that was an epic post! So much info about the Roy and Elvis history, a perfect summary I'd say. I also love Roy and also place him in equal standing to Elvis in my mind. It's nice to think that they both admired each other so much.

charro1971

Post by charro1971 »

jungoking wrote:Wow Mr Charro Man, that was an epic post! So much info about the Roy and Elvis history, a perfect summary I'd say. I also love Roy and also place him in equal standing to Elvis in my mind. It's nice to think that they both admired each other so much.
You're welcome. It was a joy to write it. It's undoubtedly the longest post I've ever written on FECC. A lot of the stories about Roy and Elvis in the 50s need to be taken with caution but I'm sure that they would have seen a lot of each other then. I am as big a fan of Roy as I am of Elvis but I rarely get to write about Roy as there is no equivalent of FECC for Orbison fans. The Orbison fan-base is a lot smaller.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

I was there in 1988, when Roy went backstage to surprise his friend.

1988-09-23 - OAKLAND-ALAMEDA COUNTY COLISEUM, OAKLAND, CA
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/1988#230988

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

charro1971

Post by charro1971 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:I was there in 1988, when Roy went backstage to surprise his friend.

Cool. Nice story, Doc. I have to confess I never knew about his surprise appearance at Bruce Springsteen's show there. So sad that he passed away 2 1/2 months later. Did you manage to get up close to Roy or Bruce? An autograph or a handshake maybe?

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

charro1971 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I was there in 1988, when Roy went backstage to surprise his friend.

Cool. Nice story, Doc. I have to confess I never knew about his surprise appearance at Bruce Springsteen's show there. So sad that he passed away 2 1/2 months later. Did you manage to get up close to Roy or Bruce? An autograph or a handshake maybe?
If you read the linked page, you'll have your answer.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

joeroberts
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by joeroberts »

Well Dr Charlie, that's a pretty cool souvenir!

charro1971

Post by charro1971 »

A few extra bits that I feel belong in this topic...

A note Elvis wrote on December 4 1976 to remind himself to introduce Roy Orbison and Engelbert Humperdinck on stage:
article-2229952-15E9B803000005DC-898_310x606.jpg
"While I was in the studio recording Roy Orbison's In Dreams Greatest Hits album, I was asked to perform with the TCB band on the Black and White Night. In my opinion this was one of the greatest moments in music history... I knew after the show that night that music magic had been created. It was one of the highlights of my career.

The stage was filled with some of the most talented music professionals of all time paired with the most incredible singer/songwriter of all time, Roy Orbison. Elvis Presley once told me how much he loved Roy's voice, so to be there among the greats was a big honor for me... I loved Roy, not only as a great entertainer, but also as a great man."

James Burton, 2011. (His full write-up can be read in Hal Leonard's Roy Orbison A Black and White Night.)

charro1971

Post by charro1971 »

Something I found recently. An interview with Roy Orbison, UK Radio 1972. He is asked what his favourite songs are and selects these. He also talks about seeing Elvis perform on February 20 1970 DS and seems to have been highly impressed.

1. Green, Green Grass of Home – Tom Jones

Roy: The first recording was, I think, by the writer Curly Putnam of Nashville and then Jerry Lee (Lewis) did it. Tom was a big fan of Jerry Lee’s so he did it and I think got the best from the song.

2. Mister Bojangles – Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Roy: I chose this version because it was the first version I heard was the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. I knew that there was a Bojangles who actually danced for a living and it seemed like a real thing to me and became very interested in it. It’s one of my very favourite songs.

3. You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me – Dusty Springfield (Roy once thought of Dusty Springfield as the best girl singer in Britain)

Roy: I picked this record because I think it was the best song that she’s done. I liked ‘Preacher Man’ very much and ‘Wishin’ and Hopin’ and Thinkin’’ and everything but I think this was her best effort. We did a show together at Wembley a couple of years in a row. It was a Festival of sorts – Poll Winners’ Concert. That particular concert, I remember one year was Dusty, myself, The Beatles an English boy, Joe Brown, Cliff Richard – everybody (Roy’s laughter). Good days, marvellous days!

4. Satisfaction – The Rolling Stones

Roy: We did a tour. It is very gratifying that I’ve done so many tours with people who were not as well known at the time and have become, more or less legends in the ‘pop’ field. This group was one of them. In 1964 we did Australia together.
This song has pretty much the same rhythmic feel as ‘Pretty Woman’. We did this tour together it was great fun and they liked ‘Pretty Woman’ and I think this song has much the same feel. It has the same drum lick and the guitar riffs. I remember very vividly that Mick Jagger proposed that I sing on the tour – the last show – the worst record that I ever made. And I said that I’d be happy to if he sang the worst record that he ever made. I went on before they did and I figured that ‘Ooby Dooby’ was the worst record that I ever made. So I sang it and then they went on and I watched the performance and they didn’t do what he said was the worst record that he’d ever made. There was a little gathering afterwards and in lieu of them not doing their worst record they gave me a silver cigarette case ‘From The Rolling Stones – to Ooby Dooby.’ it was inscribed. I still have that. It was a marvellous time.

5. 2001 Space Odyssey – Deodato

Roy: Elvis now uses this tune as his theme song before he comes on. This is the current record, contemporary record of 2001.

6. Anyone Who Had a Heart – Dionne Warwick

Roy: Made no comment on this song

7. Pinball Wizard – Who

Roy: I first heard this song here (England) it was a big hit and, I think, when I got home it was big record there. It impressed me. It was sort of a new style, a new type thing. Then just recently I have seen the ‘New Seekers’ do it on television in America – very interesting.

8. Are You Lonesome Tonight? – Elvis

Roy: The first show I ever did in Memphis – I had the #1 record in Memphis and it was ‘Ooby Dooby’ I think I’ve mentioned (laughter). Elvis came along to the show. He said, “Marvellous show.” Of course, he got as much applause as we did just by being announced. Then he said, “ Well, I’ll tell you one thing – you were just that good that I’ll never appear on stage with you.” So, I said, ”That’s alright – you know, that’s fine.” It was a nice compliment. We went to a few parties and things together. One night we went by to pick up Elvis’ girlfriend. He had a new purple Cadillac with purple fur and everything in it. I think he was making twenty million a year, at the time. He knocked on the door and the girl said, “I’m sorry, you’re too late, turned around and walked back in. We all went on to the house – to his house and had Pepsi Colas and potato chips and everything. I couldn’t believe that some woman would turn down a date with Elvis Presley!! The last time I saw Elvis was a couple of years ago at Vegas. He introduced me from the stage. He waited until the last number and he said, “There’s a young fella’ in the audience who started out about the same time that I did. I’d like you to give a hand to Roy Orbison.” So, I had to stand up. He sang his last number and went off stage and left me to sign 2000 autographs! (laughter) Very smart move – I went back and said ‘Hello” and he was in good shape and marvellous.

9. I’m Coming Home – Mirielle Mathiue

Roy: The thing is I saw Mirielle in this country on television. I’ve never seen her in person. She impressed me very much. I wanted to see more of her. I did do, on a Tom Jones television show. Tom said that he’d had a hit record with a certain song and she said, “Well I’ll show you how it sounds in French,” and proceeded to sing ‘I’m Coming Home.’

10. Hey Jude – The Beatles

Roy: I remember very vividly, appearing with The Beatles. I didn’t know who they were. My Fan Club Secretary said, “You’ll be touring with The Beatles which will assure you a full house and everyone will get to see how good you are” – which was very nice of her. The thing was I had left the clear glasses on a plane, flying to Alabama. I had the dark glasses on and had to fly straight to London for a big opening. The Beatles were there and they said, “How shall we bill this? Who should close the show or what?” I remember the discussion, they said, ‘Well now, look you’re getting all the money, why don’t we close the show?” I don’t know whether that was true or not, whether I was making that much more than they were, it wasn’t that much. The tour sold out in one afternoon – one advert sold the tour out. On opening night I got to ‘Running Scared’ – I did seven encores for ‘Running Scared’. Got to ‘In Dreams’ and I think six or seven encores there. Finally, I remember Paul and John grabbing me by the arms and not letting me go back on and take my curtain call. They were yelling, “We want Roy! We want Roy!” And there I was held captive by The Beatles and they were saying, “Yankee! Go home!!” We had a great time.

Brian: Anyone listening to this show would expect to hear one of your records. If I was to ask you, “What is your own favourite that you have recorded – what would you say?”

Roy: Of the songs that I haven’t written it would be …

11. Danny Boy – Roy Orbison

The announcer asked about the range of Roy’s voice – “Was it 3 octaves?”
Roy: Just about – I’ve been blessed by not knowing what the limit is you know – high or low. I’m not hampered by octaves.(laughter)

12. Angel Fingers – Roy Woods (Wizard)

Roy: A very contemporary record

On a further BBC Radio program ‘Be My Guest’ Roy selected the following 5 songs as some of his favourites:

1. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? – Shirelles

Roy : I played a concert with ‘The Shirelles’ which was fantastic and in the ‘big time’.

2. Limelight – Mantovani

Roy: When under pressure to perform and come up with something good – music wise – I like to relax and listen to the music like Mantovani makes and does so well. One of my favourite things that he has done and one of my favourite songs is this one. I remember very distinctly hearing ‘Limelight’ for the first time.

I was at the University of North Texas, and had very little money and was not performing.

I went to a small theatre and saw the film ‘Limelight’ by Charlie Chaplin, which he had directed, written, produced and starred in. The music was just lovely. I guess because it was that time in my life when I wasn’t very active in show business that it still means a great deal to me.

3. In The Ghetto – Elvis Presley

Roy: This was Elvis’s first big record in a number of years and it was the first record that he started touring with – appearing publicly – in Las Vegas.

4. Hey Jude – The Beatles

Roy: I will never forget The Beatles and my favourite song of theirs. I remember standing back stage – Paul and John, George and Ringo and I, were in a sort of circle thing talking and they wondered how well they might do in America. I was writing a column for a music paper. I told them exactly what I wrote in the paper later that evening, I said,” If you go to America, keep your hair like it is, the suits like you have and the boots that you wear. Let it be known that you’re English and get on a show such as ‘The Ed Sullivan Show’ and you’ll be as big in America as you are here.” In fact it turned out that way exactly.

5. 2001 Space Odyssey – Deodato

Roy: Perhaps, my very favourite piece of music, I have never heard it enough.

MikeFromHolland

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Can't contribute anything of essence to this thread. Can only share a small observation: it seems that Elvis and Roy wore the same jacket on the pics below. Can it be a present from one to the other?
image.jpg
image.jpg
Roy's pic comes from:
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotlight_bigOmeetselvis.html

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...