Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
jungoking
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Elvis Presley and Roy Orbison

Post by jungoking »

Hey there, newbie here, got a picture of Elvis with Roy Orbison here - anyone seen it before or know of others?

What was the relationship between these two like? In later years Roy would claim that Elvis was a "good friend of mine" and I've heard Elvis singing bits of Orbison's Running Scared and Only the Lonely.
elvisandroy.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DarrylMac
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Elvis Presley and Roy Orbison

Post by DarrylMac »

That's definitely not a genuine photo. The pic of Elvis is one from after a show on the way to his limo.

Obviously, Elvis and Roy had a relationship, and certainly respected each other. Roy was present during Elvis last Vegas run in December 76.

I don't know how many times they actually met over the years.

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by Tony.. »

Is there actually a pic of them together?? I don't think so. And we're still waiting for the "Roy Orbison show" Elvis guest spot footage to materialise!!

Gitchops83

Post by Gitchops83 »

Did elvis offer him a pepsi?

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by promiseland »

Elvis thought Roy Orbison had one of the greatest voices in the business.

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by promiseland »

Gitchops83 wrote:Did elvis offer him a pepsi?
Yes, but unfortunately Roy only drank Sprite, so immediately after Elvis left, Roy took the Pepsi and stomped on it several times on the ground before jumping in a parked steamroller and making several passes over the bottle until it was virtually unrecognizable, yelling profanities, and flipping off nearby spectators for more than 45 minutes before the police arrived and emptied 6 cans of Mace directly into Roys face until he became unconscious, and fell into a deep coma. . Presley later apologized saying "Only The Lonely drinks Sprite".

Gitchops83

Post by Gitchops83 »

Lol you have an oblique sense of humor son.................

and i like it

r&b

Post by r&b »

Tony.. wrote:Is there actually a pic of them together?? I don't think so. And we're still waiting for the "Roy Orbison show" Elvis guest spot footage to materialise!!
Suprisingly, no. I have never seen one of them together.

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Where's "The Pied Piper Of Cleveland" when you need him?

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

charro1971
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by charro1971 »

Yes, I'm afraid it's a fake. Roy didn't meet Elvis in 1974.

Elvis seems to have had a lot of respect for Roy. There are stories about him playing Orbison's song It's Over again and again in Graceland during the mid-60s. Although Elvis sang excerpts of Running Scared, It's Over and Only The Lonely he never attempted to sing the whole of an Orbison song (that we know of). As we all know Elvis called Roy "the greatest singer in the world". Elvis respected Roy's voice so much that he probably didn't want to compete with him by recording any of his songs. So it's surprising that Elvis never went to see Roy perform live but this could perhaps have been due to Roy performing more in Europe, Australia and Canada than the USA.

Roy would have seen Elvis quite a lot in the 50s and he was invited to Elvis' parties at Graceland. Roy offered his first hit song, Only The Lonely, to Elvis and it was only when he couldn't get hold of Elvis that he recorded it himself.

Roy went to see Elvis perform live 3 times in the 70s: February 20 DS 1970 Vegas, March 14 1974 Murfreesboro and December 4 1976 DS Vegas. One should think Roy would have been highly impressed with the first Elvis concert he saw - in Jan/Feb 1970 we all know that Elvis was in absolutely stunning form. But Roy spoke negatively about the 1974 Elvis concert he saw. In an interview with Crawdaddy magazine to promote his 1975 album I'm Still In Love With You Roy mentioned how he took his family and some friends to see Elvis perform and "it was terrible". Perhaps Roy was a little jealous of how well Elvis was doing while he himself was virtually forgotten in America and playing various smaller venues in Europe and Australia. Perhaps Roy was merely being honest - Elvis' 1974 Murfreesboro concert is somewhat inferior to a February 1970 concert. But Roy did speak positively about the 1976 show, saying that he talked with Elvis backstage after the show and how he thought he was looking well. Furthermore Roy seemed to get inspiration from Elvis and the next tour he did in March 1977 (Europe) he was no longer using a four piece band but had employed a full orchestra and had his band members do solos and had a grand opening theme + he wore white jumpsuits with various designs. From 1980-1984 in his shows Roy regularly performed his tribute song to Elvis, Hound Dog Man, a great song that can be found on Roy's album Laminar Flow.
Last edited by charro1971 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

"A song from my recent TV show, which was pretty bad, but you know... you can't win 'em all!" - Elvis Presley (August 25 1969 DS)
"My favourite guitar player on lead guitar, say hello to James Burton. Young man on rhythm guitar; he's fair to mediocre, John Wilkinson." (February 19 1970 MS)
"My mouth feels like Bob Dylan slept in it." (February 21 1971 MS)
"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, my name is B.B. King" (August 16 1971 MS)
"Ed Sullivan looked at me and said "mmm, son of a b**ch." Nah, he's a nice... old chap." (January 27 1973 DS)
"I'm allowed on stage for 55 minutes to 1 hour. That's what they say. I say about 35 minutes!" (March 22 1975 MS)

r&b

Post by r&b »

charro1971 wrote:Yes, I'm afraid it's a fake. Roy didn't meet Elvis in 1974.

Elvis seems to have had a lot of respect for Roy. There are stories about him playing Orbison's song It's Over again and again in Graceland during the mid-60s. Although Elvis sang excerpts of Running Scared, It's Over and Only The Lonely he never attempted to sing the whole of an Orbison song (that we know of). As we all know Elvis called Roy "the greatest singer in the world". Elvis respected Roy's voice so much that he probably didn't want to compete with him by recording any of his songs. So it's surprising that Elvis never went to see Roy perform live but this could perhaps have been due to Roy performing more in Europe, Australia and Canada than the USA.

Roy would have seen Elvis quite a lot in the 50s and he was invited to Elvis' parties at Graceland. Roy offered his first hit song, Only The Lonely, to Elvis and it was only when he couldn't get hold of Elvis that he recorded it himself.

Roy went to see Elvis perform live 3 times in the 70s: February 20 DS 1970 Vegas, May 7 1975 Murfreesboro and December 4 1976 DS Vegas. One should think Roy would have been highly impressed with the first Elvis concert he saw - in Jan/Feb 1970 we all know that Elvis was in absolutely stunning form. But Roy spoke negatively about the 1975 Elvis concert he saw. In an interview with Crawdaddy magazine to promote his 1975 album I'm Still In Love With You Roy mentioned how he took his family and some friends to see Elvis perform and "it was terrible". Perhaps Roy was a little jealous of how well Elvis was doing while he himself was virtually forgotten in America and playing various smaller venues in Europe and Australia. Perhaps Roy was merely being honest - Elvis' 1975 Murfreesboro concert is hugely inferior to a February 1970 concert. But Roy did speak positively about the 1976 show, saying that he talked with Elvis backstage after the show and how he thought he was looking well. Furthermore Roy seemed to get inspiration from Elvis and the next tour he did in March 1977 (Europe) he was no longer using a four piece band but had employed a full orchestra and had his band members do solos and had a grand opening theme + he wore white jumpsuits with various designs. From 1980-1984 in his shows Roy regularly performed his tribute song to Elvis, Hound Dog Man, a great song that can be found on Roy's album Laminar Flow.
Elvis should have taken the hint

Topic author
jungoking
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Post by jungoking »

Thanks guys never knew all that stuff. Fake! :facep: It's from a late 70s British magazine discussing Orbison's Hound Dog Man tribute off of his Laminar Flow album. Here's another scan from it.
scan02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

charro1971

Post by charro1971 »

jungoking wrote:Thanks guys never knew all that stuff. Fake! :facep: It's from a late 70s British magazine discussing Orbison's Hound Dog Man tribute off of his Laminar Flow album. Here's another scan from it.
scan02.jpg
I've never seen that picture of Roy before and it's difficult to see what jumpsuit Elvis is wearing but I have a feeling that it's another fake. I don't think Roy was ever on the same stage as Elvis in the 70s. Elvis just introduced him in Vegas twice when he was sitting in the audience.

"A song from my recent TV show, which was pretty bad, but you know... you can't win 'em all!" - Elvis Presley (August 25 1969 DS)
"My favourite guitar player on lead guitar, say hello to James Burton. Young man on rhythm guitar; he's fair to mediocre, John Wilkinson." (February 19 1970 MS)
"Ed Sullivan looked at me and said "mmm, son of a b**ch." Nah, he's a nice... old chap." (January 27 1973 DS)
"I'm allowed on stage for 55 minutes to 1 hour. That's what they say. I say about 35 minutes!" (March 22 1975 MS)

superrg
Registered for: 14 years 1 month

Post by superrg »

The picture of Elvis and Roy on stage is such a super-fake!

Elvis is probably wearing the same " (black?) Eagle" suit as he does in Pittsburgh in 1976, just look at the collar and the belt.
But, in May 1975 in Murfreesboro he probably wore a two-piece suit, as he did for the entire April to May 1975 tour.
And on December 4 1976 he also wore another jumpsuit, rather the Indian Feather or Inca Gold Leaf.
These were the two times, Roy saw Elvis on stage, besides the February 1970 show in Vegas.

The picture of Elvis was probably taken during a June or July 1975 stage Show, looking at his somewhat extended waist-line.
At this particular time he was wearing at least three of his four "Eagle" jumpsuits. The Red Eagle, the Black Eagle and the Silver Eagle.

visit http://www.bootleg-elvis.com

I have been an Elvis fan for 37 years. There is so much in the guy.
He is the biggest entertainer to me and the biggest to thousand others

charro1971

Post by charro1971 »

superrg wrote:The picture of Elvis and Roy on stage is such a super-fake!

Elvis is probably wearing the same " (black?) Eagle" suit as he does in Pittsburgh in 1976, just look at the collar and the belt.
But, in May 1975 in Murfreesboro he probably wore a two-piece suit, as he did for the entire April to May 1975 tour.
And on December 4 1976 he also wore another jumpsuit, rather the Indian Feather or Inca Gold Leaf.
These were the two times, Roy saw Elvis on stage, besides the February 1970 show in Vegas.

The picture of Elvis was probably taken during a June or July 1975 stage Show, looking at his somewhat extended waist-line.
At this particular time he was wearing at least three of his four "Eagle" jumpsuits. The Red Eagle, the Black Eagle and the Silver Eagle.
...and Elvis wore the Blue Brocade suit in the Feb 20 1970 DS. (the elvis concerts web-site claims he wore the white cossack suit but during Love Me Tender he sings "you have made my suit turn blue")

joshferrell
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by joshferrell »

Didn't Elvis record a couple Orbison songs during the lost "Feelings" sessions?

brian
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by brian »

I would guess you would call them acquaintances.

They probably saw each other a few times during the Sun Records period of 1955.

Then obviously didn't see each other when Elvis was in the army.

I would guess that Elvis and Roy Orbison weren't around each other in the 1960s.

Roy busy with touring and Elvis making films in Hollywood.

Then they saw each other in Las Vegas 1976 when Roy attended a concert that December at the Hilton.

You know in showbiz if you see someone 5 or 6 times over a twenty year period then I guess your friends but to everyone else it's not.

EPA4368
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by EPA4368 »

r&b wrote:

Roy went to see Elvis perform live 3 times in the 70s: February 20 DS 1970 Vegas, May 7 1975 Murfreesboro and December 4 1976 DS Vegas. One should think Roy would have been highly impressed with the first Elvis concert he saw - in Jan/Feb 1970 we all know that Elvis was in absolutely stunning form. But Roy spoke negatively about the 1975 Elvis concert he saw. In an interview with Crawdaddy magazine to promote his 1975 album I'm Still In Love With You Roy mentioned how he took his family and some friends to see Elvis perform and "it was terrible". Perhaps Roy was a little jealous of how well Elvis was doing while he himself was virtually forgotten in America and playing various smaller venues in Europe and Australia. Perhaps Roy was merely being honest - Elvis' 1975 Murfreesboro concert is hugely inferior to a February 1970 concert. But Roy did speak positively about the 1976 show, saying that he talked with Elvis backstage after the show and how he thought he was looking well. Furthermore Roy seemed to get inspiration from Elvis and the next tour he did in March 1977 (Europe) he was no longer using a four piece band but had employed a full orchestra and had his band members do solos and had a grand opening theme + he wore white jumpsuits with various designs. From 1980-1984 in his shows Roy regularly performed his tribute song to Elvis, Hound Dog Man, a great song that can be found on Roy's album Laminar Flow.
Elvis should have taken the hint
You would have thought so especially with Cash, Jerry Lee and Perkins doing the same.

At one time, it seem like the Sun guys were in Europe and British guys were in US.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by brian »

Elvis probably didn't pay attention to anything Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison or Carl Perkins were doing.

Why should he have really.

Although I'm sure he was aware that they were all playing concerts overseas.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Elvis clearly was aware that a lot of his contemporaries played concerts overseas. As early as 1958, he attended a Bill Haley concert in Germany.

charro1971

Post by charro1971 »

Mixed up my dates. The Crawdaddy magazine interview with Roy is from 1974. That means it's the March 14 1974 Elvis concert in Murfreesboro that Roy saw and thought was "terrible".

Apologies to all for my error. :facep:

mike edwards66
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by mike edwards66 »

Elvis from the 70's with Roy from the 80's.
elvis and roy.png

Thanks Mister Moon. :wink:

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

r&b

Post by r&b »

brian wrote:Elvis probably didn't pay attention to anything Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison or Carl Perkins were doing.

Why should he have really.

Although I'm sure he was aware that they were all playing concerts overseas.
Because throughout the 60's they were consistently turning out better music than he was.

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

Has anyone got that image of Roy at his 40th birthday concert held in a large arena with just 100 standing around the stage when he performed? Its a sad photo, but puts things in to perspective about the state of his career at the time. If you have it, please post it - I haven't seen it for 20 years.

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

All the photos in this topic are fakes, but there is at least one genuine image, from Texas in October 1955, that is in private hands.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!