New Viva Las Vegas Bluray

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Dan_T
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Re: New Viva Las Vegas Bluray

Post by Dan_T »

I didn't buy it the 1st time around, so I've ordered a copy ! :)

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Tony.. »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.
luckyjackson1 wrote:Hey Mike, what about your beer coaster now? :wink:
I´m undecided now as I am thinking why the hell should I buy it again just for the booklet.... :facep:. Bye for now :smt006.
Probably for the same reason we keep buying the song Jailhouse rock when it's on coloured vinyl, on a picture disc, on a cd single, on FTD, as part of a box set with one new track on it, etc, etc....

Ty@TheFilmFrontier

Post by Ty@TheFilmFrontier »

Tony.. wrote:
I´m undecided now as I am thinking why the hell should I buy it again just for the booklet.... :facep:. Bye for now :smt006.
Probably for the same reason we keep buying the song Jailhouse rock when it's on coloured vinyl, on a picture disc, on a cd single, on FTD, as part of a box set with one new track on it, etc, etc....
Because it is one of Elvis Presley's greatest performances and one of the top rock 'n' roll songs of all time?

thatsallright
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by thatsallright »

Upgrade? How much better could VIVA possibly look than it already did on the first version. I mean, it literally looks life-like.

"you can call up the people at the crazy house-and take this crazy man away"

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Robert »

thatsallright wrote:Upgrade? How much better could VIVA possibly look than it already did on the first version. I mean, it literally looks life-like.
Nobody is talking about an upgrade.
It's a different package and interesting for those who didn't have it yet.
Such as me.

hm80ep
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by hm80ep »

Some important info (I guess) taken from a High Definition Digest review of the new "Viva Las Vegas" Blu-Ray (http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/12026/vivalasvegas50thanniversarydigibook.html#the-video):
The movie is provided with a 1080p/VC-1 transfer in the 2.40:1 aspect ratio. Identical to the previous release, this is still a strong video presentation, but the image isn't quite as impressive as it once was in 2007.
All of the supplements from the previous disc are included here as well. Unfortunately, outside of the digibook packaging, there are no new bonus materials.
This 50th Anniversary release is really nothing more than a repackaging of the previous disc in a new digibook -- but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The transfer and audio remain strong and there's even a couple of nifty extras. The digibook material isn't enough to warrant a double dip, but fans who haven't already purchased the film will likely want to snag this version.
Having the 2010 "Elvis Blu-Ray Collection" I won't be buying "VLV" again.

Henryk

Dan_T
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by Dan_T »

Mine arrived today !

Robert

Post by Robert »

hm80ep wrote:
The movie is provided with a 1080p/VC-1 transfer in the 2.40:1 aspect ratio. Identical to the previous release, this is still a strong video presentation, but the image isn't quite as impressive as it once was in 2007.
This 50th Anniversary release is really nothing more than a repackaging of the previous disc in a new digibook
If it's the same transfer, how can the image be less impressive than the 2007 release?
This sounds like a BS story.

Claus

Post by Claus »

Because technology has advanced. Had they done new transfer, it would have looked even better.

From the bluray.com review:
Warner's 1080p, VC-1/encoded Blu-ray may be seven years old, but it holds up reasonably well against more recent catalog presentations. A new transfer might squeeze a touch more detail out of the source material, particularly in long shots, but the image is already quite sharp and detailed for a film shot anamorphically in 1964. The blacks of the men's formal wear are solid and deep, and the colors of Vegas are bright and saturated (though the city of that era has been entirely replaced by huge theme hotels). Both Elvis and Ann-Margret look their best in wardrobes far superior to what either of their characters would be able to afford. The racing cars flash across the screen in their various shades—Lucky's is pale blue—until they're either covered with desert dust or crash and burn beyond recognition. The occasional optical effect is underwhelming, but that reflects the limitations of the era's technology.

Establishing a pattern for the future, Warner left over 6 GB of available space unused on the BD-25 and achieved a low bitrate of 20.42 Mbps. The result is occasional video noise, or what is sometimes called "mosquito noise", usually in large expanses of a similar color and texture like the sky, where a compressionist is shortchanging the image on bandwidth to conserve it for a more demanding scene. Reauthoring the same transfer for a larger disc image (preferably with AVC) would probably have eliminated the problem.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Viva-Las-Vegas-Blu-ray/101703/#Review

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I've got it on BD. It looks great to me. Things are always improving. I'm done buying stuff over and over just because a new, improved model just hit the showroom.

Robert

Post by Robert »

Claus wrote:Because technology has advanced. Had they done new transfer, it would have looked even better.

From the bluray.com review:
Warner's 1080p, VC-1/encoded Blu-ray may be seven years old, but it holds up reasonably well against more recent catalog presentations. A new transfer might squeeze a touch more detail out of the source material, particularly in long shots, but the image is already quite sharp and detailed for a film shot anamorphically in 1964. The blacks of the men's formal wear are solid and deep, and the colors of Vegas are bright and saturated (though the city of that era has been entirely replaced by huge theme hotels). Both Elvis and Ann-Margret look their best in wardrobes far superior to what either of their characters would be able to afford. The racing cars flash across the screen in their various shades—Lucky's is pale blue—until they're either covered with desert dust or crash and burn beyond recognition. The occasional optical effect is underwhelming, but that reflects the limitations of the era's technology.

Establishing a pattern for the future, Warner left over 6 GB of available space unused on the BD-25 and achieved a low bitrate of 20.42 Mbps. The result is occasional video noise, or what is sometimes called "mosquito noise", usually in large expanses of a similar color and texture like the sky, where a compressionist is shortchanging the image on bandwidth to conserve it for a more demanding scene. Reauthoring the same transfer for a larger disc image (preferably with AVC) would probably have eliminated the problem.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Viva-Las-Vegas-Blu-ray/101703/#Review
Ok, clear from that perspective, thanks for posting.

L Ray
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by L Ray »

JerryNodak wrote:I've got it on BD. It looks great to me. Things are always improving. I'm done buying stuff over and over just because a new, improved model just hit the showroom.

and in this case it is exactly the same.

Yvo
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Yvo »

What is the release date?

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Tony.. »

Ty@TheFilmFrontier wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
Because it is one of Elvis Presley's greatest performances and one of the top rock 'n' roll songs of all time?
In THAT case, how many times have you bought "the girl cant help it" song by Little Richard??

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by TINML »

So I went into a 7/11 convenience store and they have a small blu ray section and found a copy of VLV on bluray for $5 :)

A wise investment IMO

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

r&b

Post by r&b »

Tony.. wrote:
I no longer do that . its an easy habit to break, really it is

Cheiro

Post by Cheiro »

I have all of the movies on DVD. Haven't made the jump to blu-ray yet, but it's tempting.

Elvis Fan Forever
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by Elvis Fan Forever »

I want it
Wow so much will be released