Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: (UPDATED!) Memphis to Nashville '61 FTD book new promo v

Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:40 pm

Already had this for a few weeks and it's yet another STUNNER. I'm glad you found a better audio source for the march 18th 1961 recording. Although still not perfect, it's a lot better than the old cassette copy I had. Always interested to hear any spoken word recordings that are relevant to any period of your books, Davide.

Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:49 pm

Tony.. wrote:Already had this for a few weeks and it's yet another STUNNER. I'm glad you found a better audio source for the march 18th 1961 recording. Although still not perfect, it's a lot better than the old cassette copy I had. Always interested to hear any spoken word recordings that are relevant to any period of your books, Davide.

You probably mean March 8, 1961.

Elvis at the Tennessee State Capitol --> Politics As Usual !
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78736

Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:50 am

Having read the new book cover-to-cover, one can easily say this is the final word on the Memphis 1961 concerts, with many beautiful, previously-unseen shots from both performances and a sizable amount of information about who, what, when, where and why. Some of the shots backstage before the evening show are really, really cool. And we note he may have done "Treat Me Nice" at the first show!

As a bonus we read of Elvis' trip to the Tennessee State Capitol not long after, the visit also that day to see former Prisonaires singer and friend Johnny Bragg at the penitentiary (plus a history of their friendship), his recording sessions at RCA's Studio B that weekend, even some insight regarding his going to Ellis Auditorium in October to attend the National Quartet Convention. And more.

Did you know Elvis rented out the local Vanderbilt University stadium the Saturday night before his Sunday, March 12 recording session to play football? Or that some kids ripped off his hub caps while he was in town for the sessions? Again, all very fascinating to the hardcore fan. That we get a CD with a nice MONO version of the Something For Everybody album, the main result of his recording work, plus two meetings with the press, is icing on the cake.

One regret: that none of the three photos of Elvis with Sun Studios founder and producer Sam Phillips merited a full page reproduction. Taken after the afternoon press conference, these represent the last known images of two talented, creative, crazy-yet-pure products of America, whose union produced some of greatest recordings of the century.

Another: not a single acknowledgment of the FECC forum, where virtually all the events we read about in the book received ample, informed discussion, not to mention revealing uploads of news and magazine articles, LP scans and photo uploads, many for the first time anywhere on the internet. That was kind of a surprise.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Having read the new book cover-to-cover, one can easily say this is the final word on the Memphis 1961 concerts, with many beautiful, previously-unseen shots from both performances and a sizable amount of information about who, what, when, where and why. Some of the shots backstage before the evening show are really, really cool. And we note he may have done "Treat Me Nice" at the first show!

As a bonus we read of Elvis' trip to the Tennessee State Capitol not long after, the visit also that day to see former Prisonaires singer and friend Johnny Bragg at the penitentiary (plus a history of their friendship), his recording sessions at RCA's Studio B that weekend, even some insight regarding his going to Ellis Auditorium in October to attend the National Quartet Convention. And more.

Did you know Elvis rented out the local Vanderbilt University stadium the Saturday night before his Sunday, March 12 recording session to play football? Or that some kids ripped off his hub caps while he was in town for the sessions? Again, all very fascinating to the hardcore fan. That we get a CD with a nice MONO version of the Something For Everybody album, the main result of his recording work, plus two meetings with the press, is icing on the cake.

One regret: that none of the three photos of Elvis with Sun Studios founder and producer Sam Phillips merited a full page reproduction. Taken after the afternoon press conference, these represent the last known images of two talented, creative, crazy-yet-pure products of America, whose union produced some of greatest recordings of the century.

Another: not a single acknowledgment of the FECC forum, where virtually all the events we read about in the book received ample, informed discussion, not to mention revealing uploads of news and magazine articles, LP scans and photo uploads, many for the first time anywhere on the internet. That was kind of a surprise.

Are you implying you should have got a mention in this book?

Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:53 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Having read the new book cover-to-cover, one can easily say this is the final word on the Memphis 1961 concerts, with many beautiful, previously-unseen shots from both performances and a sizable amount of information about who, what, when, where and why. Some of the shots backstage before the evening show are really, really cool. And we note he may have done "Treat Me Nice" at the first show!

Thanks for your comments and thoughts, you make a valid point regarding the FECC forum, and I will ensure that there will be a credit in the next project. The Sam Phillips images were not of sufficient quality to be included as full page reproductions.

Thanks
David

Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:39 pm

davide wrote:

Thanks for your comments and thoughts, you make a valid point regarding the FECC forum, and I will ensure that there will be a credit in the next project. The Sam Phillips images were not of sufficient quality to be included as full page reproductions.

Thanks
David

That sounds good, thanks. Too bad about the photos with Sam, given they may be the last with Elvis.

I also noticed many of the images you've shared on your FECC legacy topics, and elsewhere, have almost completely disappeared.

Is that a permanent or temporary thing?

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:38 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
davide wrote:

Thanks
David

That sounds good, thanks. Too bad about the photos with Sam, given they may be the last with Elvis.

I also noticed many of the images you've shared on your FECC legacy topics, and elsewhere, have almost completely disappeared.

Is that a permanent or temporary thing?

I would presume it is a permanent situation, why, I have no idea.

David

INV03391-68-29-2a (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:56 am

Davide.
Most modern browsers cannot display attached .tif/.TIF - .tiff/.TIFF images.
In the future - .gif/.jpg/.png images should be used.

As you can see above, I converted the image to a .jpg - and it displays correctly ;)

It would also appear that some of the imageshack links in your older posts have either expired or have been deleted by you, or?.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:49 am

fecc-mechanic wrote:Davide.

As you can see above, I converted the image to a .jpg - and it displays correctly ;)

It would also appear that some of the imageshack links in your older posts have either expired or have been deleted by you, or?.

Thanks, fecc-mechanic.

davide, are the images that expired, or that you deleted, coming back to your FECC topics?

Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:17 am

Pal and I attended the insiders conference today during Elvis week, where we talked about the process of making the books. We also talked about our next book project, which is currently in production, and will be Hawaii '61. We also had a chat with Priscilla about the books.

Thanks
David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:23 am

davide wrote:Pal and I attended the insiders conference today during Elvis week, where we talked about the process of making the books. We also talked about our next book project, which is currently in production, and will be Hawaii '61. We also had a chat with Priscilla about the books.

Thanks
David

Sweet!!!! I cannot wait for the new book.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:29 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Thanks, fecc-mechanic.

davide, are the images that expired, or that you deleted, coming back to your FECC topics?

I guess the answer is no? Don't tell us it's all been a "Third Rate Romance" ...

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:46 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Thanks, fecc-mechanic.

I guess the answer is no? Don't tell us it's all been a "Third Rate Romance" ...

correct, i won't have the time to locate the images and update the topic/s

David

Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:39 am

Saw you guys in the pavilion this morning;-)
Been scouring the shops which have opened books to browse, The Memphis to Nashville was my choice purchase.....but the Summer of 61 has some awesome pictures in it....

Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:02 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

davide wrote:Pal and I attended the insiders conference today during Elvis week, where we talked about the process of making the books. We also talked about our next book project, which is currently in production, and will be Hawaii '61. We also had a chat with Priscilla about the books.

Thanks
David

Cool news about the upcoming book! 8). Does this mean that the accompanying cd will be a remastered cd of the Hawaii ´61 concert? :wink:. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Original first release of the Gatefold LP Elvis´ 1961 Hawaii Benefit Show.

Original ticket for the Elvis´1961 Hawaii Benefit Show.

Original handbill for the Elvis´1961 Hawaii Benefit Show.

phpBB [video]

Complete Elvis´61 Hawaii Benefit Show as released on import cd Elvis-Such A Night by MRS.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:32 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Thanks
David

Cool news about the upcoming book! 8). Does this mean that the accompanying cd will be a remastered cd of the Hawaii ´61 concert? :wink:. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Yes, the plan is to have the show on the accompanying CD.

Thanks
David

Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:39 pm

davide wrote:

Thanks
David

Thanks
David

That´s really, great, great news!. :smt026. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:40 pm

davide wrote:

Thanks
David

Thanks
David

Fantastic news. Do you have plans for additional projects?

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:41 pm

davide wrote:

Thanks
David

Thanks
David

This is great news davide.

But does the new book cover the making of the "Blue Hawaii" film?

Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:07 pm

davide wrote:Yes, the plan is to have the show on the accompanying CD.

Thanks
David

Will it be restored/remastered, or merely ported over from the old 1998 BMG CD from Elvis Aron Presley?

Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:33 pm

Anybody attend the Elvis Insiders Conference where Davide spoke? Did Ernst and Roger give a clue as to future FTDs this year and next?

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:55 am

davide wrote:correct, i won't have the time to locate the images and update the topic/s

David

Wow.

Wham, bam, thank you ma'am ...

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:05 pm

FANTASTIC Davide :smt023 :smt023 :smt023

Great news 8)

I will buy it :D

Thanks
David

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:16 pm

Any updates on whether the Hawaii concert will be restored/remastered, or merely ported over from the old 1998 BMG CD?

It would be great for Sebastian to work his magic ala A Boy From Tupelo, an opportunity disappointingly overlooked for the Tupelo shows on FTD's recent Love Me Tender release.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:13 am

Matthew wrote:Any updates on whether the Hawaii concert will be restored/remastered, or merely ported over from the old 1998 BMG CD?

It would be great for Sebastian to work his magic ala A Boy From Tupelo, an opportunity disappointingly overlooked for the Tupelo shows on FTD's recent Love Me Tender release.

Silence is Golden... :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.