Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Squire Smart
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Audience cheering on official releases

Post by Squire Smart »

Does anyone know if the overdubbed audience cheers that feature on some of elvis' 1969/1970 live songs are actually from his concerts? I.e the overdubbed cheers/whistles at the start of IJCHB or the cheers when James Burton does his solos on the Elvis In Person lp. They sound a bit generic to me.

Squire Smart

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Mood:

Re: Audience cheering on official releases

Post by JimmyCool »

Lord, I hope so...

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Squire Smart wrote:Does anyone know if the overdubbed audience cheers that feature on some of elvis' 1969/1970 live songs are actually from his concerts? I.e the overdubbed cheers/whistles at the start of IJCHB or the cheers when James Burton does his solos on the Elvis In Person lp. They sound a bit generic to me.
IIRC, the first two live releases did careful edits to include some actual audience interaction, but no overdubbing. The 1974 Memphis LP is the one live disc that definitely overdubbed audience response, although it was well-done.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Tony.. »

The applause at the beginning of IJCHB was dubbed on. We still await the 'clean' version as it was originally recorded to mater tape. Maybe it appears on the new TTWII version remastered from the concert master reel for the first time.
There is also some fake overdubbed applause added at certain points on the new FTD CD "the return to Vegas".

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

drjohncarpenter wrote:IIRC, the first two live releases did careful edits to include some actual audience interaction, but no overdubbing. The 1974 Memphis LP is the one live disc that definitely overdubbed audience response, although it was well-done.
The following life-time releases feature canned applause:

In Person at the International Hotel
February 1970, On Stage
That's The Way It Is
As Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis

The question posed being whether the canned applause was stock applause at RCA, or created from the various tapes captured at Elvis shows.

I've always felt the canned applause loops were created from reactions captured at Elvis' concerts. Here and there are brief "thank you very much" with a "very much" echo.

In the case of the Vegas albums the dubbed applause generally appears to segue edits from one song to the next, along with sweetening audience reactions in key moments in songs. The endings of Yesterday and Walk A Mile In My Shoes are key examples of this, where both were originally parts of medleys.

I Just Can't Help Believin' is an obvious example, the intro starts cold, with no audience applause, something known since the original movie came out. Then, when Elvis' does a little laugh while singing the first verse, canned applause is faded over the actual crowd reaction to make it sound like a "bigger moment" than it actually was.

The absolute worst job was done on the My Way single from 1977, with an obvious, and very jarring sounding crowd loop placed at the conclusion of the song. Very cheap, and very lazy.

Crowd sweetening has been an industry practice on live recordings for decades, and continues to this day. Many of the most popular live albums have enhancements here and there. Johnny Cash's famous At Folsom Prison has a laughably reversed loop, such that the hand claps sound like "fwap, fwap, fwap, fwap", whenever it is blended into the show. Even the famous holler from the crowd when he sings the line "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die!", is an enhancement dub, not even from the crowd as I recall.

In a way, ignorance is bliss. Many decades later all these behind the scenes elements are known, and can, I suppose, rob one of the experience once enjoyed.

And that ultimately is what they were originally intended for, to translate the live atmosphere as much as possible onto record.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:IIRC, the first two live releases did careful edits to include some actual audience interaction, but no overdubbing. The 1974 Memphis LP is the one live disc that definitely overdubbed audience response, although it was well-done.

February 1970, On Stage
That's The Way It Is

The question posed being whether the canned applause was stock applause at RCA, or created from the various tapes captured at Elvis shows.

I've always felt the canned applause loops were created from reactions captured at Elvis' concerts. Here and there are brief "thank you very much" with a "very much" echo.

In the case of the Vegas albums the dubbed applause generally appears to segue edits from one song to the next, along with sweetening audience reactions in key moments in songs. The endings of Yesterday and Walk A Mile In My Shoes are key examples of this, where both were originally parts of medleys.

I Just Can't Help Believin' is an obvious example, the intro starts cold, with no audience applause, something known since the original movie came out. Then, when Elvis' does a little laugh while singing the first verse, canned applause is faded over the actual crowd reaction to make it sound like a "bigger moment" than it actually was.

The absolute worst job was done on the My Way single from 1977, with an obvious, and very jarring sounding crowd loop placed at the conclusion of the song. Very cheap, and very lazy.

Crowd sweetening has been an industry practice on live recordings for decades, and continues to this day. Many of the most popular live albums have enhancements here and there. Johnny Cash's famous At Folsom Prison has a laughably reversed loop, such that the hand claps sound like "fwap, fwap, fwap, fwap", whenever it is blended into the show. Even the famous holler from the crowd when he sings the line "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die!", is an enhancement dub, not even from the crowd as I recall.

In a way, ignorance is bliss. Many decades later all these behind the scenes elements are known, and can, I suppose, rob one of the experience once enjoyed.

And that ultimately is what they were originally intended for, to translate the live atmosphere as much as possible onto record.
Isn't it on the single version of Unchained Melody that the same whistle from the crowd is heard over and over at the end? That was appalling.

I agree that ignorance is bliss, not just for applause either. Sometimes I think we judge a recording not by the performance itself but the extraneous information we have about how it was recorded, what mood Elvis was in, etc. The extra information is fascinating, but sometimes forces us to make a certain judgement on something. I'm sure if you gave two people off the street a copy of Raised on Rock, one with a liner note giving the true facts of the session, and the other stating that Elvis was in a really good mood, healthy and desperate to get back in the studio, BOTH people would see those reflected in the recording!

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

poormadpeter wrote:Isn't it on the single version of Unchained Melody that the same whistle from the crowd is heard over and over at the end? That was appalling.
You could be right. I recall this loop appearing on more than one recording of the time.
poormadpeter wrote:I agree that ignorance is bliss, not just for applause either. Sometimes I think we judge a recording not by the performance itself but the extraneous information we have about how it was recorded, what mood Elvis was in, etc. The extra information is fascinating, but sometimes forces us to make a certain judgement on something. I'm sure if you gave two people off the street a copy of Raised on Rock, one with a liner note giving the true facts of the session, and the other stating that Elvis was in a really good mood, healthy and desperate to get back in the studio, BOTH people would see those reflected in the recording!
To an extent I would agree, though with certain recordings it is easy to tell something's amiss.

Sometimes I long for my early fan days when knowledge of a lot of the background was limited.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Matthew wrote:

February 1970, On Stage

That's The Way It Is

Don't hear "canned applause" on those.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Matthew

Audience cheering on official releases

Post by Matthew »

In Person such elements can be heard on the truncated intro riff to Blue Suede Shoes, James Burton's guitar solo in Johnny B. Goode, and blended over to mask edit transition between songs. Listen out for the faint "thank you very mu(very much)" that appears more than once (can't remember where precise off the top of my head.)

Some crowd elements are also flown in, for example the guy/gal loop just before I Can't Stop Loving You ("in dreams of yester...") concludes.

When we listen to the later releases shows from this engagement I can see why some sweetening was deemed helpful (beyond covering edits), there isn't a ton of crowd track to play with on the 8-track elements.
Last edited by Matthew on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

On Stage it's mainly on between track transitions. Some comparisons can be done with the "undubbed" remix version of the album from 2000.

Both albums being compiles of songs and dialogue from various shows I can see why this occurred in 1969 and 1970. Generally the execution is pretty good, considering the limitations of the day.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Arguably, the album that really needed some extra audience interaction is Aloha. The audience behave so well, they could have been listening to opera. There's certainly no hint that you're listening to a concert by a rock 'n' roll/popular music singer.

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by When In Rome »

Fake applause is just a load of old clap... :smt005
No.., not funny? :|
Okay, I'll...er, .. get my coat... :oops:

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Matthew wrote:

February 1970, On Stage
That's The Way It Is

Even worse with the single version of "Unchained Melody". The "Elvis In Concert" album in general as they used the same loop over and over (very obvious also on the ending of "And I Love You So").

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

300Deluxe
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by 300Deluxe »

Matthew wrote:The following life-time releases feature canned applause:

February 1970, On Stage
That's The Way It Is

Thanks for the insight. My suspicions were confirmed when the Legacy Edition of Memphis '74 was released. Prior to the discussion here, I suspected some overdubbing, but didn't know for certain. This piqued my interest about other releases. I've always thought that a couple of the albums you mentioned had a few un-natural sounding moments.

I've never been crazy about the fade out of James' guitar riff while the applause fades in at the end of 'Walk a Mile' on Elvis On Stage. Was there a goof that Felton & Co. was covering up?

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

I like the overdubs on "Polk Salad Annie" ON STAGE. Makes it more exciting.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

300Deluxe wrote:I've never been crazy about the fade out of James' guitar riff while the applause fades in at the end of 'Walk a Mile' on Elvis On Stage. Was there a goof that Felton & Co. was covering up?
No goof. Walk A Mile In My Shoes transitioned right into In The Ghetto for the Winter 1970 engagement.

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

How about the constant whistle during the opening vamp and That's All Right from the deluxe version of TTWII from 12 August 1970 m/s: real or overdub for effect?

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

That reminds me of the audience recording of Feb 20, 1977 ES in Charlotte where a male fan is constantly screaming "Mr. Presley" ...so funny..don`t know what this poor lad wants, though.. :lol:

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

on audience recorded shows screaming fans can get annoying, but applause usually stops after start of a song. i remember most that 'fake' applause on the Original T.T.W.I.I. album on Bridge over Troubled water.... to try to make the listener (think) it was a 'live' version-which is silly considering they recorded plenty of 'live versions' So generally i dislike 'fake' applause.

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

YDKM wrote:on audience recorded shows screaming fans can get annoying,
I love it....this makes a live appearance.. :wink:

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

norrie
Registered for: 20 years

Post by norrie »

Matthew wrote:

Ignorance was a bliss.Thank you very much :evil:

Christopher Brown
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Christopher Brown »

I cannot believe that someone really thinks the overdubs on the 1974 live album were well-done. Is there anyone else that REMOTELY believes that? The show was good, cutting out repetitive material recently heard on other live albums was good (though I wish a few were left), but that applause. From DAY 1 in 1974, I hated what they did with the applause on that album. I was hoping, for example, for LAWDY MISS CLAWDY to be as good as Elvis On Tour, and then to have the instrumental breaks drowned out by someone turning up the applause was virtually criminal, or virtually any other instrumental break was nothing like I heard in person.

A travesty finally put right decades later.

Christopher Brown

joshferrell
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by joshferrell »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Matthew wrote:

February 1970, On Stage
That's The Way It Is

Even worse with the single version of "Unchained Melody". The "Elvis In Concert" album in general as they used the same loop over and over (very obvious also on the ending of "And I Love You So").
I noticed that... it sounded like Felton wanted it to sound like he was getting a standing ovation or something..lol..yes the whistling on the loop is annoying, it sounds more like something off of Revolution #9...

Topic author
Squire Smart
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by Squire Smart »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Squire Smart wrote:Does anyone know if the overdubbed audience cheers that feature on some of elvis' 1969/1970 live songs are actually from his concerts? I.e the overdubbed cheers/whistles at the start of IJCHB or the cheers when James Burton does his solos on the Elvis In Person lp. They sound a bit generic to me.
IIRC, the first two live releases did careful edits to include some actual audience interaction, but no overdubbing. The 1974 Memphis LP is the one live disc that definitely overdubbed audience response, although it was well-done.
Hi Doc and everyone else, thank you for your responses and alpologies for the delay in acknowledging your help (i forgot I made this post)! The audience cheers have always intrigued me so its good to get some insight, opinions and confirmation of their use. Thanks once again. :)

Squire Smart

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

There were some girls cheering on "Polk Salad Annie" from "On Stage". Worked great in the sense of more excitement.