Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: That's The Way The First Review Is - Bluray

Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:09 am

Robert wrote:But how to explain the cool bass sound coming out of my sub on all songs.
Except for Patch it up?

Do you by any chance have a 5.1 set with small satellite speakers? Those small speakers can't handle deep bass sounds, so they are all sent to the subwoofer. On the song "Patch It Up," Jerry Scheff plays some very high notes on his bass. My guess is that those notes could be in a frequency range that is too low for the satellite speakers to reproduce as well as too high for the subwoofer. Therefore you don't hear them at all. That's just a guess, though, but it could very well be the case here. I just did a quick google search and it came up with this:

"Some manufacturers compromise the performance of their speaker system in order to achieve the smallest satellite speakers possible. Lower midrange frequencies will now become too low to be output from the tiny satellites, yet too high for the subwoofer. These frequencies simply won't play, or play at a much reduced level." (source: audiocheck.net)

Does your subwoofer really not work at all during "Patch It Up" or is there bass in some parts of the song?

Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:34 am

Rideon wrote:Does your subwoofer really not work at all during "Patch It Up" or is there bass in some parts of the song?

It doesn't work at all indeed, only during this song.
Jerry plays all regular notes during this song and I have a Harman kardon set with pretty good satellite speakers.
It's really puzzling isn't it?

I think it's a mastering error as the bass is rich and wonderful throughout the whole movie.
I looked forward to this song as it represents Elvis and the TCB band in a rough, hard rocking song.
I play some bass myself so you can imagine listening to a song without Jerry spoils the party;)

Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:48 am

I am going to try to write a little review and answer some of the stuff on here that has been troubling quite a few people regarding whether or not buying
this is worth it or if it is even an upgrade over already available material.

First off, to those still debating whether or not there is improvement in picture quality or the so-called "step-up". I think at this point the debate lacks
any sort of meaning as Blu-Ray has offered for more years that I can remember better quality in restorations over other mediums such as DVD or online
on-demand services such as Netflix and Hulu. There is simply no beating this medium at this point for the end-user, so stopping the debate might be the
better step thing going forward for those that still bash this release coming to Blu-Ray.

Instead, some finer details such as how this could have been better, at least PQ-wise, where the Blu-Ray medium is supposed to shine first and foremost
I feel could have been more appreciated by people on here.

I am going to try to focus on that by drawing some comparisons with exhibit A being the Blu-Ray and exhibit B being the DVD of the Special Edition we have
previously been treated to by Warner.

There is of course improvement in the Blu-Ray, just as expected, with it being shown at a way higher resolution than anything we have seen before.
Detail-wise, we've never seen it any better. But to me here comes the tricky part, as this Blu-Ray title, like Elvis On Tour from 4 years back, is bitstarved
to the point that it lacks severely in data. The previous concert movie we had from Elvis suffered from the same treatment and while it's good to have them
both on Blu-Ray, they are obviously not as good as they could have been. It all comes down to first the restoration process and how much time and money is
put into that, and second, it's about what processed material they put on the Blu-Ray disc to be shipped to us. In this case, just like with Elvis On Tour,
the release comes on a BD-25 disc, which should give you an idea right away that the main container is bitstarved, with movies generally being given almost
twice as much room for bitrate on a BD-50 standard disc, format in which more than 3 quarters of high-profile Blu-Ray titles come in these days.

Now, back to the more practical side of things, the comparison shots I used should give you an extensive look at how the Blu-Ray fares compared to the DVD:

Shot #1: Right away to me it is obvious the colors have more punch and are more vibrant. They make the overall picture look more alive and it's one of the
benefits of HD transfers on Blu-Ray, being able to turn it up a notch because of PQ. Looking at Elvis's clothing, however, due to the increased contrast, there
is loss in white levels. Only just, you might say, but things like these shouldn't happen. It's no wonder it looks different to so many of us.
(http://screenshotcomparison.com/compari ... /picture:0 ) Mouse out gives you Blu-Ray, while mouse over is the DVD.

Shot #2: Much like in the first shot, better colors, much more vibrant and it's actually a much, much better picture we get on the Blu-Ray. Elvis looks more
natural and the jumpsuit doesn't even have the red tint that is quite visible on the legs of the suit on the DVD. The Blu-Ray easily defeats the DVD in this shot.
( http://screenshotcomparison.com/compari ... /picture:1 ) Mouse out gives you Blu-Ray, while mouse over is the DVD.

Shot #3: Elvis once again looks more natural, but what's interesting to me is the loss of detail on the sheet of paper, the whites have been tampered with
quite noticeably here and it's not for the better I am afraid. A better color balance in the rest of the shot however proves to give the BluRay a slight edge in
this comparison too.
( http://screenshotcomparison.com/compari ... /picture:2 ) Mouse out gives you Blu-Ray, while mouse over is the DVD.

Shot #4: A much better shot on Blu-Ray and you can see how the dust and impurities have been cleaned up in the restoration process, as there was a dot on
Elvis' forehead. The background, to the left of the screen, once again loses some of the black depth due to increased contrast.
( http://screenshotcomparison.com/compari ... /picture:3) Mouse out gives you Blu-Ray, while mouse over is the DVD.

Shot #5: This is an interesting shot as it showcases big changes in color balance. We now have a slightly more obvious blue tint which gives the image a
colder color balance, and one I am not sure should have been there. It's obviously up to debate to get to what was the actual color that white suit reflected
as seen with the naked eye in Vegas, but I don't know that it would have been that blue. It's close to call and I might even change my mind on this one over
time, but a look similar to the DVD would have worked better I think.
( http://screenshotcomparison.com/compari ... /picture:4) Mouse out gives you Blu-Ray, while mouse over is the DVD.

Shot #6: To me, this is where the Blu-Ray shows its true face. The rehearsal segments are truly shining in this restoration. They really look alive, the colors
have never been better on any footage ever shot of Elvis and it can almost seem like you can step into the room with them. The contrast is beautiful and the
colors are gorgeous. The shadows on the amplifiers really show how good the balance of white and blacks is in this segment.
( http://screenshotcomparison.com/compari ... /picture:5 ) Mouse out gives you Blu-Ray, while mouse over is the DVD.

This is pretty much it for me, overall I will choose my Blu-Ray over the DVD any given day from this point on.

Oh, and on Patch It Up. The bass is there. :mrgreen: Not trying to stir it up more, but while it's turned down a little bit too much for my taste too, it's there.
To me, just as much as it is on the DVD that I have. They could have done a better job on that.

Nice thread, it served me well until I got to watch it myself.

Keep it going guys,
Robert

::rocks

Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:02 am

Thanks Robert, fantastic work!

Unfortunately I'm still waiting for my TTWII Blu-Ray. The delivery date was supposed to have been the 20th of this month....I'm going to contact the seller in the morning.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:20 am

Robert wrote:
Rideon wrote:Does your subwoofer really not work at all during "Patch It Up" or is there bass in some parts of the song?

Jerry plays all regular notes during this song and I have a Harman kardon set with pretty good satellite speakers.

I think it's a mastering error as the bass is rich and wonderful throughout the whole movie.
I looked forward to this song as it represents Elvis and the TCB band in a rough, hard rocking song.
I play some bass myself so you can imagine listening to a song without Jerry spoils the party;)

Yes, the bass lines are what makes this song really great. I don't think it's a mastering error, as you suggest, because I can hear the bass on that song perfectly fine. It must have something to do with your setup. Have you listened to "Patch I Up" from the DVD on headphones? How does it sound then?

Here is a small sample of "Patch It Up" that I cut directly form the Blu-ray audio and mixed down to stereo. You do hear the bass on there, don't you?
http://www48.zippyshare.com/v/4262235/file.html

Snuck wrote:Shot #6: To me, this is where the Blu-Ray shows its true face. The rehearsal segments are truly shining in this restoration. They really look alive, the colors
have never been better on any footage ever shot of Elvis and it can almost seem like you can step into the room with them. The contrast is beautiful and the
colors are gorgeous. The shadows on the amplifiers really show how good the balance of white and blacks is in this segment.
( http://screenshotcomparison.com/compari ... /picture:5 ) Mouse out gives you Blu-Ray, while mouse over is the DVD.

That's a nice comparison, Snuck/Robert. I also noticed that the rehearsal footage looks stunning on the Blu-ray compared to the previous DVD release.

Snuck wrote:Oh, and on Patch It Up. The bass is there. :mrgreen: Not trying to stir it up more, but while it's turned down a little bit too much for my taste too, it's there.
To me, just as much as it is on the DVD that I have. They could have done a better job on that.

The bass most definitely is there. The song is mixed a bit differently than most of the other songs, though. The bass is mixed a tad lower on "Patch It Up."

Snuck wrote:I will choose my Blu-Ray over the DVD any given day from this point on.

I agree. The Blu-ray is superior to the the DVD. No wonder really. :wink:

Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:33 am

geez the original TTWII dvd is horrid! why couldnt they have at least done something with the audio? wasn't it originally presented in 4 channel stereo? the shrill 1.0 mono sound hurts my ears.. have the vol up to almost 0 on my reciever just to hear the music.. embarrasing.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:06 pm

Rideon wrote:Here is a small sample of "Patch It Up" that I cut directly form the Blu-ray audio and mixed down to stereo. You do hear the bass on there, don't you?

IMO, the mix of "Patch It Up" in the movie was botched somehow.

The bass is almost non-existent. It's so low that you can barely hear it in that clip.

Also, there's something "off" with the drums. Maybe they were simply mixed too high or something.

This song just doesn't sound right.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:42 pm

Yes.. It's suppose to sound like this!.
http://www2.zippyshare.com/v/2507194/file.html
taken from the newly released That's The Way It Is Deluxe Box

Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:45 pm

Got mine this morning! I've only had time to skip through it, but the picture quality is beautiful- much better than the old DVD.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:46 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Yes.. It's suppose to sound like this!.

I prefer the audio mix on the Blu-ray. This clip sounds muffled in comparison.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:10 am

Rideon wrote:
Robert wrote:

Yes, the bass lines are what makes this song really great. I don't think it's a mastering error, as you suggest, because I can hear the bass on that song perfectly fine. It must have something to do with your setup. Have you listened to "Patch I Up" from the DVD on headphones? How does it sound then?

Here is a small sample of "Patch It Up" that I cut directly form the Blu-ray audio and mixed down to stereo. You do hear the bass on there, don't you?

Yep it's there.
Still waiting for my Blu ray and somehow hopeful the result is better than the DVD sound.
Thanks for this audio sample!

Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:11 am

Rideon wrote:

Muffled ??? :o

Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:13 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
Rideon wrote:

Yep. :lol:

Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:37 am

Rideon wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
Rideon wrote:

Yep. :lol:

or the blu ray sound is too shrill;)

Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:22 am

Just got the new ETMAHM, and unfort the blu-ray is not reviewed unless I missed it.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:12 pm

Snuck wrote:I am going to try to write a little review and answer some of the stuff on here that has been troubling quite a few people regarding whether or not buying

First off, to those still debating whether or not there is improvement in picture quality or the so-called "step-up". I think at this point the debate lacks
any sort of meaning as Blu-Ray has offered for more years that I can remember better quality in restorations over other mediums such as DVD or online
on-demand services such as Netflix and Hulu. There is simply no beating this medium at this point for the end-user, so stopping the debate might be the
better step thing going forward for those that still bash this release coming to Blu-Ray.

Instead, some finer details such as how this could have been better, at least PQ-wise, where the Blu-Ray medium is supposed to shine first and foremost

I am going to try to focus on that by drawing some comparisons with exhibit A being the Blu-Ray and exhibit B being the DVD of the Special Edition we have

There is of course improvement in the Blu-Ray, just as expected, with it being shown at a way higher resolution than anything we have seen before.
Detail-wise, we've never seen it any better. But to me here comes the tricky part, as this Blu-Ray title, like Elvis On Tour from 4 years back, is bitstarved
to the point that it lacks severely in data. The previous concert movie we had from Elvis suffered from the same treatment and while it's good to have them
both on Blu-Ray, they are obviously not as good as they could have been. It all comes down to first the restoration process and how much time and money is
put into that, and second, it's about what processed material they put on the Blu-Ray disc to be shipped to us. In this case, just like with Elvis On Tour,
the release comes on a BD-25 disc, which should give you an idea right away that the main container is bitstarved, with movies generally being given almost
twice as much room for bitrate on a BD-50 standard disc, format in which more than 3 quarters of high-profile Blu-Ray titles come in these days.

Now, back to the more practical side of things, the comparison shots I used should give you an extensive look at how the Blu-Ray fares compared to the DVD:

Shot #1: Right away to me it is obvious the colors have more punch and are more vibrant. They make the overall picture look more alive and it's one of the
benefits of HD transfers on Blu-Ray, being able to turn it up a notch because of PQ. Looking at Elvis's clothing, however, due to the increased contrast, there
is loss in white levels. Only just, you might say, but things like these shouldn't happen. It's no wonder it looks different to so many of us.
(http://screenshotcomparison.com/compari ... /picture:0 ) Mouse out gives you Blu-Ray, while mouse over is the DVD.

Shot #2: Much like in the first shot, better colors, much more vibrant and it's actually a much, much better picture we get on the Blu-Ray. Elvis looks more
natural and the jumpsuit doesn't even have the red tint that is quite visible on the legs of the suit on the DVD. The Blu-Ray easily defeats the DVD in this shot.
( http://screenshotcomparison.com/compari ... /picture:1 ) Mouse out gives you Blu-Ray, while mouse over is the DVD.

Shot #3: Elvis once again looks more natural, but what's interesting to me is the loss of detail on the sheet of paper, the whites have been tampered with
quite noticeably here and it's not for the better I am afraid. A better color balance in the rest of the shot however proves to give the BluRay a slight edge in
this comparison too.
( http://screenshotcomparison.com/compari ... /picture:2 ) Mouse out gives you Blu-Ray, while mouse over is the DVD.

Shot #4: A much better shot on Blu-Ray and you can see how the dust and impurities have been cleaned up in the restoration process, as there was a dot on
Elvis' forehead. The background, to the left of the screen, once again loses some of the black depth due to increased contrast.
( http://screenshotcomparison.com/compari ... /picture:3) Mouse out gives you Blu-Ray, while mouse over is the DVD.

Shot #5: This is an interesting shot as it showcases big changes in color balance. We now have a slightly more obvious blue tint which gives the image a
colder color balance, and one I am not sure should have been there. It's obviously up to debate to get to what was the actual color that white suit reflected
as seen with the naked eye in Vegas, but I don't know that it would have been that blue. It's close to call and I might even change my mind on this one over
( http://screenshotcomparison.com/compari ... /picture:4) Mouse out gives you Blu-Ray, while mouse over is the DVD.

Shot #6: To me, this is where the Blu-Ray shows its true face. The rehearsal segments are truly shining in this restoration. They really look alive, the colors

This is pretty much it for me, overall I will choose my Blu-Ray over the DVD any given day from this point on.

Oh, and on Patch It Up. The bass is there. :mrgreen: Not trying to stir it up more, but while it's turned down a little bit too much for my taste too, it's there.

Keep it going guys,
Robert

First of all thanks for the post. It is the best review so far.

It seems there is not more retail in the BD; rather they played around with colors and light. During the rehearsal, you can actually see more details on the DVD (see for example the fantasy on John Wilkinson shirt) – the picture on BD looks better because colors and light is better - but in terms of definition I see less.

The blu ray gives much higher resolution and we should see more. The low detail is not because the movie is old because also the head writing added in 2001 in the beginning of the film are blurred and they should be crystal clear. It seems they mastered the film print, not the digital master they used to create the film print.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that, to me, while the stage shots have an outrageously horrible quality (particularly from “one night” the performances are unwatchable) the audience shots are decent. That’s what I think.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:38 pm

r&b wrote:Just got the new ETMAHM, and unfort the blu-ray is not reviewed unless I missed it.

The blu-ray was released just a few days before the magazines printing deadline......I doubt the UK magazine got the imported
release soon enough.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:45 pm

hi fan i'm french and would like to buy the blu ray on ebay, but on amazon it's say region A. it's really region A or it's play on all player blu ray?

manyyyyy thxxxxx

Loris

Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:02 am

Fabbe wrote:
Snuck wrote:I am going to try to write a little review and answer some of the stuff on here that has been troubling quite a few people regarding whether or not buying

this comparison too.

Keep it going guys,
Robert

First of all thanks for the post. It is the best review so far.

It seems there is not more retail in the BD; rather they played around with colors and light. During the rehearsal, you can actually see more details on the DVD (see for example the fantasy on John Wilkinson shirt) – the picture on BD looks better because colors and light is better - but in terms of definition I see less.

The blu ray gives much higher resolution and we should see more. The low detail is not because the movie is old because also the head writing added in 2001 in the beginning of the film are blurred and they should be crystal clear. It seems they mastered the film print, not the digital master they used to create the film print.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that, to me, while the stage shots have an outrageously horrible quality (particularly from “one night” the performances are unwatchable) the audience shots are decent. That’s what I think.

The Blu-ray's 5 times better than the DVD I know that much for SURE!!!!
Last edited by a mess of polk salad on Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:52 am

Loriselvis wrote:hi fan i'm french and would like to buy the blu ray on ebay, but on amazon it's say region A. it's really region A or it's play on all player blu ray?

manyyyyy thxxxxx

Loris

Hello Loris, I got mine yesterday imported from the USA, and it plays on my UK Blu-ray player.... Hope this helps..

Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:58 am

Scoobie wrote:
Loriselvis wrote:hi fan i'm french and would like to buy the blu ray on ebay, but on amazon it's say region A. it's really region A or it's play on all player blu ray?

manyyyyy thxxxxx

Loris

Hello Loris, I got mine yesterday imported from the USA, and it plays on my UK Blu-ray player.... Hope this helps..

Having examined the package, there is no mention of any region code anywhere on the packaging.